NASCAR 2024

29,744 Views | 789 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Oh, no! Petty is coming unhinged!
43, 45, & 47
GetOffMyLawnPack
Reading the SHR announcement and unpacking it, here's my takeaways:

Competition in nascar is intense 24/7/300 days a year. Stewart and Haas are saying, "we're getting too damn old to deal with this level of competition". Hendrick did the smart thing by hiring Jeff Gordon; relatively young man yet mature. SHR didn't plan that aspect well.

SHR probably isn't bankrupt, but if there was money flowing like the 1980's - 1990's era, they wouldn't be closing. This should be a clear message to nascar regarding the upcoming TV contract revenue sharing in that the teams must have a bigger share if they are going to keep the doors open to their shops. Even the casual observer notes that the sponsorships are trending to smaller names who have smaller dollars to sponsor. There was some plumbing company that sponsored a car recently. A damn plumbing company. Looking for K&K Insurance to return to a race car side panel soon. Even powerhouse Hendrick is having to self-sponsor.

Nascar has tightened technical oversight such that the trending way to compete is with mega-teams. 100 bright technical guys are more likely to find a bit of "gold dust technical edge" than 10 guys on a single car team. The more somewhat level playing field has resulted in a more intense labor environment than before. Back in the day if you were a mechanic at Petty Enterprises when the 43 won something like 7 races in a row, there was pressure, but you knew that your team was among the top and would likely stay there at least for the short term. A nascar league mechanic today is under more pressure all the time; a young man's game for sure - with fewer bonuses.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Reading the SHR announcement and unpacking it, here's my takeaways:

Competition in nascar is intense 24/7/300 days a year. Stewart and Haas are saying, "we're getting too damn old to deal with this level of competition". Hendrick did the smart thing by hiring Jeff Gordon; relatively young man yet mature. SHR didn't plan that aspect well.

SHR probably isn't bankrupt, but if there was money flowing like the 1980's - 1990's era, they wouldn't be closing. This should be a clear message to nascar regarding the upcoming TV contract revenue sharing in that the teams must have a bigger share if they are going to keep the doors open to their shops. Even the casual observer notes that the sponsorships are trending to smaller names who have smaller dollars to sponsor. There was some plumbing company that sponsored a car recently. A damn plumbing company. Looking for K&K Insurance to return to a race car side panel soon. Even powerhouse Hendrick is having to self-sponsor.

Nascar has tightened technical oversight such that the trending way to compete is with mega-teams. 100 bright technical guys are more likely to find a bit of "gold dust technical edge" than 10 guys on a single car team. The more somewhat level playing field has resulted in a more intense labor environment than before. Back in the day if you were a mechanic at Petty Enterprises when the 43 won something like 7 races in a row, there was pressure, but you knew that your team was among the top and would likely stay there at least for the short term. A nascar league mechanic today is under more pressure all the time; a young man's game for sure - with fewer bonuses.
You make some good points. As someone who knows a few folks that work at SHR, Gene and Tony moved on a few years ago. Neither one were ever there at the shop and pretty much interest went to other things. SHR lost Mobil 1, AB, Hunt Brothers Pizza, and Gearwrench. The money was there, the leadership at that shop was zero, all of the sponsors mentioned stayed in NASCAR and have even increased money. This is a SHR problem.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

TheStorm said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Oh, no! Petty is coming unhinged!
43, 45, & 47

Didn't notice the number thing, BTW, that is a sad looking sandwich.
ncsupack1
Not a surprise.
GetOffMyLawnPack
This poster (in the replies) says Dale Jr. and Kelley were touring SHR property last month.

Interesting.

Wolfer79
Friday, May 31
1:30 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub Presents: The Love of Racing (re-air), FS1
2 a.m., Greatest Races: NASCAR (re-air), FS1
5 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive (re-air), FS1
4:35 p.m., IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship: Qualifying at Detroit, Peacock
6 p.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Practice and Qualifying at World Wide Technology Raceway, FS1
6:30 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Autodrome Granby, FloRacing
7 p.m., ARCA Menards Series West: Portland 112 at Portland International Raceway, FloRacing
9 p.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Practice and Qualifying at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series
Toyota 200, World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison, IL
Practice and Qualifying FS1, 6 p.m.
ncsupack1
Once again good chance of rain tomorrow.
Glasswolf
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

This poster (in the replies) says Dale Jr. and Kelley were touring SHR property last month.

Interesting.

2 small issues here. Smallest one is getting the #8 from RCR and I'm sure Childress and Jr could work something out. 2nd is bringing anything back labeled as DEI. Might have to kill Teresa for that to happen.
ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Interesting.

2 small issues here. Smallest one is getting the #8 from RCR and I'm sure Childress and Jr could work something out. 2nd is bringing anything back labeled as DEI. Might have to kill Teresa for that to happen.
JR isn't coming to CUP. If anything they were looking at buying Xfinity stuff.
Glasswolf
ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Interesting.

that's what I thought. I remember him saying he no desire to move up. I mean never say never but. I've never been to his shop though. Wonder how it compares to others? I know The Garage Mahal (DEI) was crazy.

I miss the days when they'd have a season meet and greet in Winston Salem and then soon after they had fan tours of all the shops near Charlotte.
ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Glasswolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Interesting.

that's what I thought. I remember him saying he no desire to move up. I mean never say never but. I've never been to his shop though. Wonder how it compares to others? I know The Garage Mahal (DEI) was crazy.
Jr thought 5 mil was too much, no way he is paying what they are going for now. SHR is big, been there many of times, what I hearing is Front Row is buying it. I haven't been to JRM.
Wolfer79
Saturday, June 1
1 a.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Practice and Qualifying at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS1
7:30 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive (re-air), FS1
8:30 a.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Practice and Qualifying at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS1
10 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Practice and Qualifying at World Wide Technology Raceway, FS1
Noon, NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Portland International Raceway, FS1
1 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay, FOX
1:30 p.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Toyota 200 at World Wide Technology Raceway, FOX
3 p.m., IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship: Chevrolet Detroit Sports Car Classic, USA and Peacock
4 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NXS Portland, FS1
4:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway, FS1
5 p.m., NASCAR Youth Series at Metro St. Louis, FloRacing
5:15 p.m., NASCAR Canada Series at Autodrome Chaudiere, FloRacing
6 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Berlin Raceway, FloRacing
7 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Hickory Motor Speedway, FloRacing
7:45 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Bowman Gray Stadium, FloRacing
7:45 p.m., NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour at Seekonk Speedway, FloRacing
10 p.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Toyota 200 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2
TBA, NASCAR Weekly Racing at Riverhead Raceway, FloRacing
TBA, NASCAR Weekly Racing at Jennerstown Speedway, FloRacing

caryking
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Interesting.
Well, I know where my loyalty will go…
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Enjoy Illinois 300, World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison, IL
Practice and Qualifying FS1, 10 a.m.

NASCAR Xfinity Series
Pacific Office Automation 147, World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison, IL
Qualifying FS1, noon
Race FS1, 4:30 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay: Xfinity Series Portland FS1, 4 p.m.

NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series
Toyota 200 World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison, IL
Race FS1, 1:30 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay: NCTS Setup FS1, 1 p.m.
ncsupack1
WWT is finding it's place in NASCAR, I hope that it stays that way.
Wolfer79
.@FoxTV got 3.103 million viewers for Sunday's rain-shortened NASCAR Cup Series @CocaCola 600 @CLTMotorSpdwy.

Last year's race ran on a Monday and got 3.399 million, while the 2022 event ran on time and got 3.869 million.

Wolfer79
Sunday, June 2
7 a.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Toyota 200 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2
9 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway (re-air), FS2
2 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: WWTR, FS1
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Enjoy Illinois 300 at World Wide Technology Raceway, FS1
9 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Enjoy Illinois 300 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS1
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
Enjoy Illinois 300, World Wide Technology Raceway, Madison, IL
Race FS1, 3:30 p.m.
NASCAR RaceDay: World Wide Technology Raceway FS1, 2 p.m.
ncsupack1
Weather looks great! Will be fast race today.
Glasswolf
ncsupack1 said:

Starting to enjoy this track
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

ncsupack1
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Agree
TheStorm
Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Is this the same track that has also been referred to as "Gateway"?
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Yes.
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Yes.
Watch out for Larson and Byron then...
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Yes.

Yup. I see WWT is coming back in 2025, good thing.
caryking
I hat to do it.. I'm moving over to the baseball game.
ncsupack1
caryking said:

The race for the lead is great. As a Ford guy I'm liking today.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

Well, I flipped it back. Wow!! Ryan Blaney! Runs out of gas on last lap…
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

Well, I flipped it back. Wow!! Ryan Blaney! Runs out of gas on last lap…

Yup, and Bell loses a cylinder. Crazy last few laps.
GetOffMyLawnPack

ncsupack1
I personally will be shocked if Larson doesn't get it. Somehow something tells me that this is for drama.
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

Glasswolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Yes.

Yup. I see WWT is coming back in 2025, good thing.
Yeah, I still don't know all of these "newer" tracks in the rotation yet... the one I thought this was is actually a road course (I think it's actually called "Road America" or something like that). As soon as I turned it on and saw it was an oval, I knew I had it screwed up...

Good race though... first Blaney holding off Christopher Bell and causing his motor to no longer work correctly anymore - and then Blaney running out of gas with one to go.
Wolfer79

Monday, June 3
Midnight, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Toyota 200 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS1
2 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway (re-air), FS1
4 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway (re-air), FS2
10 a.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Toyota 200 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub, FS1
10:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Enjoy Illinois 300 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2

Tuesday, June 4
1:30 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub: Best of Radioactive (re-air), FS2
7 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway (re-air), FS2
9 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Enjoy Illinois 300 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2
9 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Enjoy Illinois 300 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS1

Wednesday, June 5

4 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway (re-air), FS1
10:30 a.m., NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series: Toyota 200 at World Wide Technology Raceway (re-air), FS2
12:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Pacific Office Automation 147 at Portland International Raceway (re-air), FS2

Thursday, June 6
9:30 a.m., Greatest Races: NASCAR (re-air), FS2

Friday, June 7
5 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Practice at Sonoma Raceway (tape delayed), FS1
6:30 p.m., ARCA Menards Series West: General Tire 200 at Sonoma Raceway, FloRacing
6:30 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Autodrome Granby, FloRacing
8:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Practice at Sonoma Raceway (tape delayed), FS1

Saturday, June 8

12:30 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Practice at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS1
1:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Practice at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS1
6 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub Presents: The Love of Racing (re-air), FS1
6:30 a.m., Greatest Races: NASCAR (re-air), FS1
2 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Florence Motor Speedway, FloRacing
2:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Practice at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS2
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Qualifying at Sonoma Raceway, FS2
4:15 p.m.. NASCAR Weekly Racing at Jennerstown Speedway, FloRacing
4:30 p.m., I Am Kevin Harvick (re-air), FS2
5:30 p.m., NASCAR Race Hub Presents: Pioneers of Speed (re-air), FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Sonoma Raceway, FS2
6 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Berlin Raceway, FloRacing
6:40 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at South Boston Speedway, FloRacing
7 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Langley Speedway, FloRacing
7:30 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: NXS Sonoma, FS1
7:45 p.m., NASCAR Weekly Racing at Bowman Gray Stadium, FloRacing
8 p.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Zip Buy Now, Pay Later 250 at Sonoma Raceway, FS1
10:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS1
TBA, NASCAR Weekly Racing at Riverhead Raceway, FloRacing

Sunday, June 9

Midnight, NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS2
4 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Zip Buy Now, Pay Later 250 at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS2
7:30 a.m., NASCAR Race Hub Presents: Beyond The Wheel (re-air), FS1
8:30 a.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Qualifying at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS1
9:30 a.m., NASCAR Xfinity Series: Zip Buy Now, Pay Later 250 at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS1
2 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Sonoma, FS1
3 p.m., NASCAR RaceDay: Sonoma, FOX
3:30 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway, FOX
10 p.m., NASCAR Cup Series: Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway (re-air), FS1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.