PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,664 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Wufpack17 said:

caryking said:

So, for all those people that criticized the LIV tour and the people that joined it (you know taking the blood money), well what the hell? Perhaps that blood money is likable, by the PGA as well…
It was the only way that the PGA Tour could stay out of legal issues and the only way for the PIF people to hitch their wagon to a legitimate golf league. LIV was never going to stick around. As much as they wanted their propaganda and spin to work, people just weren't watching and weren't giving a damn. The PGA Tour still has the best players the best fields, etc. I like Brooks, but damn, I don't give a **** about him playing in a field with mini tour pros and a handful of good players. That just isn't interesting.
I can proudly say that I've never watched a single stroke of a LIV Golf event...

I think it's safe to say 90% of golf fans did not

I hope they don't integrate team play. I have no interest I watching Rory, Adam Hadwin, and Sepp Straka stank f around in uniforms waiting to see if JT Poston candy drain an 8 foot putt for 76 so they win an extra $300k
Save team golf for country, school and club where it's beautiful

Frankly I don't care if none of the LIV guys are invited back with two exceptions - I would enjoy seeing Cam Smith and Harold Varner again. But the rest - even the "stars", I have no interest in.
I couldn't agree with you more, Chem... and damn, did Rory really go off yesterday afternoon or what?
910wolf
It's looking more and more like LIV will just cease to exist. PGA Tour schedule will look similar to what they were already building for next year. I'm sure there's some agreement they'll have to have a designated event in Saudi Arabia.
caryking
910wolf said:

caryking said:

910wolf said:

Man, this news came out of nowhere. I wonder how many people truly knew a deal was in the works. Shocking that it was kept under wraps and the players didn't even know.

This is a relief to me personally as a golf fan. I never cared where the money came from. A divided golf world just created a ****tier product for fans. I do find it hilarious it appears Greg Norman was left in the dark on this. Seems the deal is strictly between PGA and the PIF, not necessarily LIV.

Will be interesting to see the schedule they set up. I assume they'll keep a team concept series and they may still call them LIV events. Now they'll be able to truly get the top 48 players in the world in the team events and not hand out free money to scrubs like Chase Koepka, James Piot, Andy Ogletree, etc. and pretend it is a premier field.

Team events with all the top guys would be fun, as long as they don't try to keep the 54-hole, shotgun start BS. That **** is still incredibly dumb.
Easy now… Chase is a big fan of Stitch..

Haha it's no offense to him, he's just not a world class player.

Hope you guys had a successful week with the Korn Ferry event last week.
Well, Chase is a good guy, playing, notwithstanding… Yes, the Korn Ferry event went extremely well.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
As I have said all along, Phil was right the whole way.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/turns-out-phil-mickelson-was-right-all-along-174429661.html

How ironic that Rory "hates LIV Golf" but the PGA Tour threw him under the bus as a "sacrificial lamb" and because of LIV Golf he has the opportunity to win a whole lot more money. He is a whiny beyotch.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
wilmwolf
I'm surprised to see that article from Yahoo, but it's spot on. People have very strong opinions on Phil, and that's not going to change, but he was definitely shown to be right in all that has happened, even if you question his methodology. I actually almost feel bad for Rory. He's been white knighting for the tour for several years and got thrown under the bus and then backed over again. Now, I don't actually feel sorry for him because at his level I would think he'd have the business acumen to know it was a possibility all along. I respect the guys on both sides who has their viewpoints and disagreements without all the grandstanding.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
packgrad
Good read and good for Phil. I like Rory too. My wife LOVES Rory. I'm just happy the gang is getting back together again. I'm tired of the house divided grandstanding (especially the morality nonsense).
TheStorm
Yeah, Phil was never right... and no matter what happens going forward, he never will be right.

He will continue to be villified from here on out, and rightfully so! (as much as some people that post here may or may not hate that fact!)
caryking
TheStorm said:

Yeah, Phil was never right... and no matter what happens going forward, he never will be right.

He will continue to be villified from here on out, and rightfully so! (as much as some people that post here may or may not hate that fact!)

Storm, Rory is nothing more than a serf of the system. Now, he's a wealthy serf; however, at the end of the day, the oligarchs get richer.

This is really no different than any other business or no different than politics . Only a few are winning! It's unfortunate that I feel this way, now a days…

Joe Biden
packgrad
Season 2 should be good. Or not, depending on your perspective.

Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Yeah, but he did it for the little guy, lol.

Dude had a golden egg in front of him and could have had a career in commentary.
I don't think so now. It's one thing to say you want the oppty to make more money. But to torch your former league and then jump in on lawsuits, well, good riddance.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Dude had a golden egg in front of him and could have had a career in commentary.
I don't think so now. It's one thing to say you want the oppty to make more money. But to torch your former league and then jump in on lawsuits, well, good riddance.
Let's be honest… do you really think Rory didn't get a pay day, for staying with the PGA? He was way too vocal…

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Let's be honest… do you really think Rory didn't get a pay day, for staying with the PGA? He was way too vocal…
Hes reportedly worth 170 million. I would imagine once you reach 9 figures, you can pretty much say or do as you please.
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Hes reportedly worth 170 million. I would imagine once you reach 9 figures, you can pretty much say or do as you please.

Unless you're Phil Mickelson.
FlossyDFlynt
packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Touche.

But the Bellagio credit line is only so large
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm surprised to see that article from Yahoo, but it's spot on. People have very strong opinions on Phil, and that's not going to change, but he was definitely shown to be right in all that has happened, even if you question his methodology. I actually almost feel bad for Rory. He's been white knighting for the tour for several years and got thrown under the bus and then backed over again. Now, I don't actually feel sorry for him because at his level I would think he'd have the business acumen to know it was a possibility all along. I respect the guys on both sides who has their viewpoints and disagreements without all the grandstanding.
Yep, everything he was advocating for, the shortened season, the bigger events, the PGA paying more money than they said they had, he was right. As you say they may not like his methodology, but he and others brought about change that never would have happened had they not gone to LIV.

He also brought about change for the American Ryder Cup team. We have seen that with the last two dominating events at Hazeltine and Whistling Straights. Many people did not like what he did to Tom Watson, but again he stuck his neck out and change happened.

The sticking point is going to be how Phil, DJ, Brooks, and the others are integrated back in. Jay Monohan keeps saying that the players who stayed loyal have to get be compensated in some way and the players who left are going to pay some reentry fee. Well I doubt the Saudi's are going to invest all this money if those stars are not allowed to return. They have already spent probably close to a billion dollars for a lot of those guys, they will be on the PGA tour somehow and if you think they won't let them back in if they want to come, then I have some ocean front property in Kansas for you. The LIV guys took a lot of heat and Rex Hoggard reported the other day that at least one LIV player was saying, and I am paraphrasing, "When do I get my apology for the hit on my reputation." It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Touche.

But the Bellagio credit line is only so large

I looked up his net worth earlier after you mentioned Rory's. Google says 875 million. Crazy.
Packchem91
An interesting perspective.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jimmy-dunne-the-architect-of-the-pga-tour-liv-golf-deal-lays-out-the-details

Still makes me think the ending of the lawsuits was as important as anything
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yep, everything he was advocating for, the shortened season, the bigger events, the PGA paying more money than they said they had, he was right. As you say they may not like his methodology, but he and others brought about change that never would have happened had they not gone to LIV.

He also brought about change for the American Ryder Cup team. We have seen that with the last two dominating events at Hazeltine and Whistling Straights. Many people did not like what he did to Tom Watson, but again he stuck his neck out and change happened.

The sticking point is going to be how Phil, DJ, Brooks, and the others are integrated back in. Jay Monohan keeps saying that the players who stayed loyal have to get be compensated in some way and the players who left are going to pay some reentry fee. Well I doubt the Saudi's are going to invest all this money if those stars are not allowed to return. They have already spent probably close to a billion dollars for a lot of those guys, they will be on the PGA tour somehow and if you think they won't let them back in if they want to come, then I have some ocean front property in Kansas for you. The LIV guys took a lot of heat and Rex Hoggard reported the other day that at least one LIV player was saying, and I am paraphrasing, "When do I get my apology for the hit on my reputation." It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think I've read you are a business owner.

So if one of your best and top execs, who knew where all the bodies were buried, not only left your company for a hot start up, but bad mouthed you on the way out, amd then sued you, would you welcome him back?

Because that is what your boy did. There are some guys who went to LIV who just wanted the $, and I suspect they'll be welcomed back at some point - DJ, as an example

But Phil and Reed and some other guys actually tried to damage the PGA. And did. I wouldn't let them back.
And now they'd have nowhere to turn because LIV - the league - was and will fail
DrummerboyWolf
Packchem91 said:

An interesting perspective.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jimmy-dunne-the-architect-of-the-pga-tour-liv-golf-deal-lays-out-the-details

Still makes me think the ending of the lawsuits was as important as anything
Oh no doubt about the lawsuits. That would have drained the PGA Tour dry and the Saudi's had unlimited funds. Rex Hoggard talked about that the other day too. With the new purses being higher and all the legal fees, the PGA would have been spending a whole lot of money and most of that coming from their reserves. As you have mentioned before, discovery by both sides was not wanted.
DrummerboyWolf
Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

So if one of your best and top execs, who knew where all the bodies were buried, not only left your company for a hot start up, but bad mouthed you on the way out, amd then sued you, would you welcome him back?

Because that is what your boy did. There are some guys who went to LIV who just wanted the $, and I suspect they'll be welcomed back at some point - DJ, as an example

But Phil and Reed and some other guys actually tried to damage the PGA. And did. I wouldn't let them back.
And now they'd have nowhere to turn because LIV - the league - was and will fail
I am a business owner, but I only have one employee and that is me.

Phil did not say anything about the PGA Tour that was not true and that has come out. Phil has a LIFETIME EXEMPTION on the PGA Tour and has earned that with 45 victories. Again you may not like his methodology but he effected change. Arnie and Jack broke away from the PGA of America in 1968 and formed the PGA Tour, so were they wrong in what they did? That was mainly about money too.

Phil did not need the money. He always said that there was a financial commitment from LIV, but he wanted to change the tour for the better and in a few years that will probably happen and most people, even Rory agree with that.
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Phil did not say anything about the PGA Tour that was not true and that has come out. Phil has a LIFETIME EXEMPTION on the PGA Tour and has earned that with 45 victories. Again you may not like his methodology but he effected change. Arnie and Jack broke away from the PGA of America in 1968 and formed the PGA Tour, so were they wrong in what they did? That was mainly about money too.

Phil did not need the money. He always said that there was a financial commitment from LIV, but he wanted to change the tour for the better and in a few years that will probably happen and most people, even Rory agree with that.

If he had just gone for the money, no big deal. But you left out the part where he took part in a lawsuit against the PGAT. That's not "changing the tour for the better"

caryking
Phil is the Trump of Golf. Call out the establishment administrative cabal of the PGA Tour.

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

If he had just gone for the money, no big deal. But you left out the part where he took part in a lawsuit against the PGAT. That's not "changing the tour for the better"

They suspended a member with an earned lifetime membership. He has never resigned his membership. He tried changing things from the inside and that didn't work. There were many parties to the lawsuit and most of the players have dropped out including Phil since LIV was suing the PGA Tour.

I get it you and others don't like Phil. That is fine, but he is not the villain here. Who looks better now Phil or Jay Monohan? I think most people objectively would say Phil.

Last year Phil had received messages from many of the PGA Tour players saying thank you to him because of the PGA Tour having to adapt and change some things. I can't find that specific interview but here is something he said last year from LIV Boston.

Q. You talked with SI early in the week, which I appreciated, you talked about vindication, talked about some regrets. I wonder if there are any specifics you'd be comfortable sharing?

PHIL MICKELSON: I didn't say I felt vindicated, I said I felt happy for the guys, that they have a voice and they're being valued and they're being heard, and changes are being implemented to show that appreciation, because that hasn't been the case, and it hasn't had to be the case because there was no other option and no leverage.

Now they're being heard and things are changing. So things have gotten better for everybody in professional golf and I believe for the fans, too, because they're seeing golf in a different environment with LIV. They're seeing on the TOUR, the TOUR is bringing their best players together more often. LIV is moving professional golf throughout the world. LIV is adding a team aspect, which is different. They're adding a different viewership to watch golf without commercials and shot after shot.

I think the fans are getting a lot of benefit out of this, and all golfers, all professional golfers are getting a lot of benefit. The guys on the TOUR are playing for a lot more money. It's great that they magically found a couple hundred million; that's awesome.

Out on LIV, we have as players an incredible opportunity here to play for a lot of money and to be part of a team aspect and to really build this brand up and showcase it throughout the world.
Everybody is I think in a better position now than they were a year ago.

I know you don't like the players wearing shorts, but I bet if you play you wear shorts. I doubt seriously the PGA will do that, but one would think you would want your best players being comfortable. It connects the fans to the players because most of the fans wear shorts.

Now Phil lost most of his sponsors last year, but I am sure what the Saudi's paid him will make that up, but his deal with Callaway was "put on pause." Last LIV tournament I saw a commercial for Callaway Paradygm Drivers, and I am 99.999% sure that Phil is narrating the commercial. He used to do it and I believe he is back doing it. He kind of puts on his radio voice, but again I would bet $100 right now that it is him. Here is the spot.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/2iOz/callaway-golf-is-shifting-introducing-the-new-paradym-driver
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

They suspended a member with an earned lifetime membership. He has never resigned his membership. He tried changing things from the inside and that didn't work. There were many parties to the lawsuit and most of the players have dropped out including Phil since LIV was suing the PGA Tour.

I get it you and others don't like Phil. That is fine, but he is not the villain here. Who looks better now Phil or Jay Monohan? I think most people objectively would say Phil.

Last year Phil had received messages from many of the PGA Tour players saying thank you to him because of the PGA Tour having to adapt and change some things. I can't find that specific interview but here is something he said last year from LIV Boston.

Q. You talked with SI early in the week, which I appreciated, you talked about vindication, talked about some regrets. I wonder if there are any specifics you'd be comfortable sharing?

PHIL MICKELSON: I didn't say I felt vindicated, I said I felt happy for the guys, that they have a voice and they're being valued and they're being heard, and changes are being implemented to show that appreciation, because that hasn't been the case, and it hasn't had to be the case because there was no other option and no leverage.

Now they're being heard and things are changing. So things have gotten better for everybody in professional golf and I believe for the fans, too, because they're seeing golf in a different environment with LIV. They're seeing on the TOUR, the TOUR is bringing their best players together more often. LIV is moving professional golf throughout the world. LIV is adding a team aspect, which is different. They're adding a different viewership to watch golf without commercials and shot after shot.

I think the fans are getting a lot of benefit out of this, and all golfers, all professional golfers are getting a lot of benefit. The guys on the TOUR are playing for a lot more money. It's great that they magically found a couple hundred million; that's awesome.

Out on LIV, we have as players an incredible opportunity here to play for a lot of money and to be part of a team aspect and to really build this brand up and showcase it throughout the world.

I know you don't like the players wearing shorts, but I bet if you play you wear shorts. I doubt seriously the PGA will do that, but one would think you would want your best players being comfortable. It connects the fans to the players because most of the fans wear shorts.

Now Phil lost most of his sponsors last year, but I am sure what the Saudi's paid him will make that up, but his deal with Callaway was "put on pause." Last LIV tournament I saw a commercial for Callaway Paradygm Drivers, and I am 99.999% sure that Phil is narrating the commercial. He used to do it and I believe he is back doing it. He kind of puts on his radio voice, but again I would bet $100 right now that it is him. Here is the spot.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/2iOz/callaway-golf-is-shifting-introducing-the-new-paradym-driver

And I hope he does what he says - stays on LIV tour, enjoys playing with his teammates, and helps build its brand

As for who looks worse. I don't think Monahan looking like a major hypocrite makes Phil look any better.
I gather I'm very much not unique in that opinion.

Btw, while i was not a -stan like you, I pulled for Phil. Sure, he got away with things we wouldn't with his insider trading, but otherwise I pulled for him.
But I won't going forward.
DrummerboyWolf
Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

And I hope he does what he says - stays on LIV tour, enjoys playing with his teammates, and helps build its brand

As for who looks worse. I don't think Monahan looking like a major hypocrite makes Phil look any better.

Btw, while i was not a -stan like you, I pulled for Phil. Sure, he got away with things we wouldn't with his insider trading, but otherwise I pulled for him.
He paid back the money he made on that trade, so he did not get away with anything.
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

He paid back the money he made on that trade, so he did not get away with anything.

Lol, he's a saint! His partners went to jail. His wealth kept him from similar.

Regardless, do you think he'll do what he said and help build up the LIV a brand now? Wear those team uniforms and cheer for his boys?
DrummerboyWolf
That interview was from almost a year ago and I imagine he will continue to try to build the LIV brand up for the rest of this year. What he and the others who went to LIV did was force action from the PGA Tour and all professional golfers that were good enough to be on the PGA Tour have benefitted.

Gee I don't think I have ever seen you mention your heroine Nancy Pelosi and her husband when it comes to inside trading. Of course Richard Burr got away with it too as have many members of congress. Phil paid the SEC( I think it was them) back all the money he made on the trade plus interest. Over a million dollars. Here is a story on it and the law at the time helped Mickelson avoid any prosecution. He did not get the tip from the guy who had the inside information, but he got the tip from Billy Walters and that is not illegal. The prosecution could not prove Mickelson was guilty and thus did not attempt to do so.

I am through with this discussion. You're pissed at Phil Carry on with your vendetta.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phils-insider-trading-escape
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

That interview was from almost a year ago and I imagine he will continue to try to build the LIV brand up for the rest of this year. What he and the others who went to LIV did was force action from the PGA Tour and all professional golfers that were good enough to be on the PGA Tour have benefitted.

Gee I don't think I have ever seen you mention your heroine Nancy Pelosi and her husband when it comes to inside trading. Of course Richard Burr got away with it too as have many members of congress. Phil paid the SEC( I think it was them) back all the money he made on the trade plus interest. Over a million dollars. Here is a story on it and the law at the time helped Mickelson avoid any prosecution. He did not get the tip from the guy who had the inside information, but he got the tip from Billy Walters and that is not illegal. The prosecution could not prove Mickelson was guilty and thus did not attempt to do so.

I am through with this discussion. You're pissed at Phil Carry on with your vendetta.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phils-insider-trading-escape

I'm not pissed at Phil. Just think he is what so many said about him for years - he's a phony.
And I don't think he did this for one minute for the other players. I could have accepted that, right up until he sued them.
TheStorm
caryking said:

Phil is the Trump of Golf. Call out the establishment administrative cabal of the PGA Tour.
LOL. Phil's not the "Trump" of anything...

Phil will now be joined at the hip forever with the name "Patrick Reed"... whenever you hear one name, it will quickly be followed by the other... couldn't have happened to two nicer guys either.
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Phil will now be joined at the hip forever with the name "Patrick Reed"... whenever you hear one name, it will quickly be followed by the other... couldn't have happened to two nicer guys either.
Storm, Patrick certainly has his issues (or could you call it a narrative); however, he is actually a nice person, in a one-on-one setting. His wife, well…

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Storm, Patrick certainly has his issues (or could you call it a narrative); however, he is actually a nice person, in a one-on-one setting. His wife, well…

Lol. His family wants nothing to do with him. His former teammates want nothing to do with him. Don't ever hear a fellow competitor standing up for him, but sure, it's all his wife's fault. Not him.
Packchem91
packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Lol, such a victim. Dude got paid $200mm to do exactly as he pleased

Funny thing is, he's always been able to say whatever he wanted - until he went to LIV and then had to speak from a script

Please.
Packchem91
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37831191/report-commissioner-says-pga-tour-afford-fight
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Lol. His family wants nothing to do with him. His former teammates want nothing to do with him. Don't ever hear a fellow competitor standing up for him, but sure, it's all his wife's fault. Not him.

Chem, you say all that as if you have experience with Patrick Reed…. Do you?

Read my post again and ask yourself why the hell you would respond that way…

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

Chem, you say all that as if you have experience with Patrick Reed…. Do you?

Read my post again and ask yourself why the hell you would respond that way…

Consider it more of an agreement with Storm than a argument with you.
And I didn't make anything up all of my points are pretty well documented and agreed upon

As for 1-1. No. I have seen him up close in a practice round at the Wells where he was an absolute a-hat to a Marshall who was simply trying to help point him to his ball in the stress of a practice round.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.