PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,282 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
910wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caryking said:

910wolf said:

This LIV stuff continues to bum me out more and more. In no way is this beneficial to golf fans.

I hope the next non-profit to go down the drain is the NCAA. After that, the NBA, NFL, then MLB…. I'm tired of the whole woke culture they profess!!

Buddy I'm as Republican as they come. The PGA Tour is the least woke of any of the organizations you mentioned. But honestly, politics has nothing to do with how I feel here.

Golf is my second favorite sport to follow after college football and this down right sucks for the game.
caryking
910wolf said:

caryking said:

910wolf said:

This LIV stuff continues to bum me out more and more. In no way is this beneficial to golf fans.

I hope the next non-profit to go down the drain is the NCAA. After that, the NBA, NFL, then MLB…. I'm tired of the whole woke culture they profess!!

Buddy I'm as Republican as they come. The PGA Tour is the least woke of any of the organizations you mentioned. But honestly, politics has nothing to do with how I feel here.

Golf is my second favorite sport to follow after college football and this down right sucks for the game.
Hey, I get it…. I work in the golf industry. The PGA has done some things I don't like. I really don't want to comment on them as it doesn't add value. I do believe my comment is accurate. That said, you commented on wokeness regarding the PGA. My assumption is that the other organizations, you don't have a problem with my comment?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
TheStorm
Koepka and Ancer only make 8 of the Top 50... if you listened to the current USGA President's interview late in the round Sunday, it was pretty clear which way they're leaning.

I predict that LIV players will be blocked from every major next year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=full+us+open+leaderboard&oq=Full+US+Open+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30l7j0i15i22i30j0i22i30.16882j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Oh, and by the way... here's your full leaderboard from the US Open. 3 of your vaunted "Top 8" made the cut... DJ finished tied for 24th, Patrick Reed finished tied for 49th and Brooksie finished in dead last out of those that made the cut.

I think LIV will be great for the guys that can't win on the PGA Tour anymore... and while I will definitely miss being able to pull against Phil and celebrating when he yanks a 4 foot putt in clutch time... I've already got my replacement in Zalatoris... can't stand that dude. So, I'm good!
wilmwolf
I, for one, look forward to the lawsuits if the US Open tries to block anyone from playing that is otherwise qualified. That would be against everything that tournament stands for.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
FlossyDFlynt
wilmwolf80 said:

I, for one, look forward to the lawsuits if the US Open tries to block anyone from playing that is otherwise qualified. That would be against everything that tournament stands for.
Honest question because I dont know, would USGA rules for qualification count as laws? Seems like the organization could set their own rules, no?
wilmwolf
FlossyDFlynt said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Honest question because I dont know, would USGA rules for qualification count as laws? Seems like the organization could set their own rules, no?
Yes, they make their own rules, but there are all kinds of ways that players get qualified for the US Open, some of them determined years in advance, like the ten year exemption for past champions for instance, so I don't know how you could just waive a wand and do away with that without there being a lawsuit. I mean, it's a tournament that literally anyone who is good enough can qualify for if they make it through the qualifiers, banning players for playing in a rival tour seems antithetical to an "Open".
FlossyDFlynt
wilmwolf80 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Yes, they make their own rules, but there are all kinds of ways that players get qualified for the US Open, some of them determined years in advance, like the ten year exemption for past champions for instance, so I don't know how you could just waive a wand and do away with that without there being a lawsuit. I mean, it's a tournament that literally anyone who is good enough can qualify for if they make it through the qualifiers, banning players for playing in a rival tour seems antithetical to an "Open".
My hunch is thats why nothing was changed for this year. I wouldnt be surprised if there isnt some sort of "ethic clause" or something similar added to next years Open.

I agree that I do think it will go to court, but I just dont see how LIV players can make a sound legal argument. It will be very interesting to watch, thats for sure. It not good for golf in the long run though.
wilmwolf
I mean, what's different with players playing on that tour and playing in the open versus players playing for the Euro or Asian tours and playing in the US Open? The US Open isn't run by the PGA tour. And what is immoral or unethical about LIV? The Saudi money? If that's the case, are players who play in events located in or backed by Russia or Qatar or Dubai or China not going to be able to play in the US Open? I have no love for the Saudi's, but that's a slippery slope. I think the PGA can and probably will freeze them out of the PGA championship no problem. But the Opens? I don't see how that holds up.
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Like "Tin Cup" said: The U.S. Open is the most democratic golf tournament in the world."

How can they keep Mickelson, DJ, or Koepka out when they qualified it was a 5 year exemption for other major winners and a 10 year exemption for a U.S. Open winner. The sparks will definitely fly if they try to change that.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
TheStorm
I'm going to absolutely love it, when none of them get to play the majors next year... and that's exactly what is going to happen. In fact, you can "bank" on it.
910wolf
TheStorm said:

Koepka and Ancer only make 8 of the Top 50... if you listened to the current USGA President's interview late in the round Sunday, it was pretty clear which way they're leaning.

I predict that LIV players will be blocked from every major next year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=full+us+open+leaderboard&oq=Full+US+Open+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30l7j0i15i22i30j0i22i30.16882j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Oh, and by the way... here's your full leaderboard from the US Open. 3 of your vaunted "Top 8" made the cut... DJ finished tied for 24th, Patrick Reed finished tied for 49th and Brooksie finished in dead last out of those that made the cut.

I think LIV will be great for the guys that can't win on the PGA Tour anymore... and while I will definitely miss being able to pull against Phil and celebrating when he yanks a 4 foot putt in clutch time... I've already got my replacement in Zalatoris... can't stand that dude. So, I'm good!

Why do you dislike Zalatoris? That seems super random lol
910wolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I mean, what's different with players playing on that tour and playing in the open versus players playing for the Euro or Asian tours and playing in the US Open? The US Open isn't run by the PGA tour. And what is immoral or unethical about LIV? The Saudi money? If that's the case, are players who play in events located in or backed by Russia or Qatar or Dubai or China not going to be able to play in the US Open? I have no love for the Saudi's, but that's a slippery slope. I think the PGA can and probably will freeze them out of the PGA championship no problem. But the Opens? I don't see how that holds up.

I don't think they'll ban them from the majors. I think they'll just bank on LIV not getting OWGR points and those guys falling down the rankings. The guys who don't have exemptions from major wins will have to go through sectional qualifiers
DrummerboyWolf
R & A to allow suspended golfers into the Open Championship.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ra-allow-suspended-pga-tour-players-compete-open
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ra-allow-suspended-pga-tour-players-compete-open
I dont think any reasonable people expected the majors to kick them out this year. They had already laid out the qualifying criteria and the field was set based on that criteria, it would set a horrible precedent to backtrack on that now. Next year is going to be the interesting year.

I agree with 910wolf, i think there is lobbying going on behind the scenes hoping the OWGR rules against the LIV tour so they dont earn any world ranking points. That way the majors essentially dont have to make any hard decisions at all as the world rankings will work themselves out for the LIV players over the next two years and the majors only have to let the past champions play (again an already established criteria).
910wolf
jadawson said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I dont think any reasonable people expected the majors to kick them out this year. They had already laid out the qualifying criteria and the field was set based on that criteria, it would set a horrible precedent to backtrack on that now. Next year is going to be the interesting year.

I agree with 910wolf, i think there is lobbying going on behind the scenes hoping the OWGR rules against the LIV tour so they dont earn any world ranking points. That way the majors essentially dont have to make any hard decisions at all as the world rankings will work themselves out for the LIV players over the next two years and the majors only have to let the past champions play (again an already established criteria).

Just look at who is on the board for the OWGR. If they think they can win a lawsuit, they don't have to lobby hard because they'll already have the numbers.

I personally don't think these LIV tournaments deserve world ranking points anyway. 54 hole shotgun start events aren't real golf tournaments. It's just a big money hit and giggle
wilmwolf
I don't really think the shotgun start should have any impact on if it qualifies for points, most tournaments go off both nines the first two days, I don't think it fundamentally changes the competition. However, the limited field and shortened format definitely make it difficult at this point to consider them worthy of points. Now, if more highly ranked players cross over, the argument could change, but as of now it's an exhibition at best. If they were smart, they would just let the situation resolve itself as you say. Personally, I'm sceptical this venture will even last until next year's majors, but getting sued by a bunch of guys that just got hundreds of millions of dollars richer than they were a week ago might not end as well for the PGA tour and the majors as they might hope.
Bell Tower Grey
Reportedly, Tiger turned down a billion for his appearance. I daresay there's plenty more money to go around.
I'd love to see all the heads explode if he were to decide to take their money and play there. Members of the media, the PGA, etc. would not know whether to sht or go blind, and it would be hilarious. You'd see opinion positions change faster than the last 10 laps of an 80's race at Talladega.

I will still hold the players in high regard regardless of where they choose to play. Capitalism built our country. No reason to deny them their opportunity to cash in. Or not.
jadawson
Bell Tower Grey said:

Reportedly, Tiger turned down a billion for his appearance. I daresay there's plenty more money to go around.
I'd love to see all the heads explode if he were to decide to take their money and play there. Members of the media, the PGA, etc. would not know whether to sht or go blind, and it would be hilarious. You'd see opinion positions change faster than the last 10 laps of an 80's race at Talladega.

I will still hold the players in high regard regardless of where they choose to play. Capitalism built our country. No reason to deny them their opportunity to cash in. Or not.
Tiger is the only player im confident never moves. Im not sure he has it in him to play at all outside of the majors and special events (the pro/am before the British etc.,). But even if he does, legacy is all he plays for at this point.

The LIV Tour will win when people watch it. Right now based on viewers of the 1st event, not many are watching. Stars move the needle for fans, not a World ranking or "former major winner" status. Phil and DJ are stars. If Koepka and Bryson finds form again they have some star power. The rest of the former major winners are not needle movers for fans. Nobody tunes in to watch Graeme McDowell or Charl Schwartzl play a round. Phil has one top 20 in an event since 2019 (the PGA win out of nowhere), and he's 83rd in the world and he still has more fans and more of a following on the course than guys who've been dominant at times in just the past few years (DJ, Koepka).

The number of stars they currently have apparently isn't enough. Its going to take some more people of the Rory, Rahm, JT, Spieth, Scheffler, Morikawa tier of pro or a good amount of the young up and coming stars like Zalatoris, Cam Smith, Sam Burns, Max Homa,etc.,
caryking
jadawson said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Tiger is the only player im confident never moves. Im not sure he has it in him to play at all outside of the majors and special events (the pro/am before the British etc.,). But even if he does, legacy is all he plays for at this point.

The LIV Tour will win when people watch it. Right now based on viewers of the 1st event, not many are watching. Stars move the needle for fans, not a World ranking or "former major winner" status. Phil and DJ are stars. If Koepka and Bryson finds form again they have some star power. The rest of the former major winners are not needle movers for fans. Nobody tunes in to watch Graeme McDowell or Charl Schwartzl play a round. Phil has one top 20 in an event since 2019 (the PGA win out of nowhere), and he's 83rd in the world and he still has more fans and more of a following on the course than guys who've been dominant at times in just the past few years (DJ, Koepka).

The number of stars they currently have apparently isn't enough. Its going to take some more people of the Rory, Rahm, JT, Spieth, Scheffler, Morikawa tier of pro or a good amount of the young up and coming stars like Zalatoris, Cam Smith, Sam Burns, Max Homa,etc.,
Tiger's not leaving because he will put his billion in endorsement at risk!

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

jadawson said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

He doesn't need to leave. He's not lazy.
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

jadawson said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

He doesn't need to leave. He's not lazy.
He may not be lazy; however, he's not dumb either. Those endorsement are his big money maker!

Joe Biden
TheStorm
I saw a bunch of blocked out logos this past weekend at the US... Morikawa was one on his pullover.
caryking
TheStorm said:

I saw a bunch of blocked out logos this past weekend at the US... Morikawa was one on his pullover.
Storm, I really wasn't able to watch the US Open. I was out of town, at my nephews wedding. Are you saying certain golfers had logos blocked out? Was that on their clothing, golf bags, or…?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Storm, I really wasn't able to watch the US Open. I was out of town, at my nephews wedding. Are you saying certain golfers had logos blocked out? Was that on their clothing, golf bags, or…?
Yes. Mostly on their pullover jackets (stuff they don't have to normally wear every week), Morikawa I remember distinctively... and there were 4-5 more that I noticed... but it wasn't a **** ton of them either, if that makes any sense.
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Yes. Mostly on their pullover jackets (stuff they don't have to normally wear every week), Morikawa I remember distinctively... and there were 4-5 more that I noticed... but it wasn't a **** ton of them either, if that makes any sense.
That's interesting! We don't do a lot of sponsoring on tour. Basically, paying for placement.

Joe Biden
TheStorm
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

That's interesting! We don't do a lot of sponsoring on tour. Basically, paying for placement.
Do you work for the guy out of Cary that used to design for Peter Millar?
caryking
TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

No, he's at Johnny O, now. I do know him. He actually started Peter Millar.

Joe Biden
CLA327
caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Interesting tidbit, Chris Knott, who started Peter Millar, got started in the clothing business by working at Ashworth's Clothing in Fuquay Varina when he was 14, along with Steve Ashworth, who now owns and operates that store and is an NCSU graduate himself....
DrummerboyWolf
Isn't it amazing that right as the PGA tour was ready to lose Brooks Koepka, after DeChambeau and Reed announced, that the PGA Tour figured they have to do something. So now it won't be the fall wrap around and about 8 tournaments that will focus on the star players.

Both of these things are what Mickelson has been complaining about for years. Especially the fall wrap around. Phil has complained a lot how those fall tournaments should not be used for FED EX Cup points. Used to be that after the Ryder Cup or President's Cup, a lot of the best players would shut it down for the rest of the year. Maybe playing once or twice, but now they have to play to stay within distance of the guys who win in the fall. Traveling and staying in hotels every week is expensive and can also wear on you. It may seem glamorous but it's very tough thing to keep on doing all the time especially if you don't have exemptions. That is why the tour grinds the middle and lower players up and spits them out. There is no guaranteed money.

How did all this money appear? Well Jay Monahan had this to say:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/pga-tour-announces-larger-purses-and-enhanced-fall-series-games-top-players

In all, that's a $54 million increase in purses among those events. The increases will be funded by sponsor support and supplemented by the operating reserve.

So the tour has an operating reserve and has been holding that back from the players, another thing Phil has been adamant about. Strange how the PGA Tour is now reacting to the LIV Golf threat by coming up with some of the stuff Mickelson has been pointing out. Phil has also been advocating that the players control the TV rights.

The lawyers will be getting involved and they will be getting rich. PGA Tour doesn't like being called out, but they can share a lot of the blame too for the disconnect between the players and the PGA Tour.
wilmwolf
Timing is certainly interesting on these announcements. Phil was pretty roundly criticized when he suggested the tour was holding out in money that should go to the players. Seems he may have been correct. I still don't think the tour has hit the mark with these changes though. What I want as a fan is more compelling events broadcast in a better manner. I have as little interest in watching 8 limited field PGA exhibitions as I do watching the LIV tournaments.
PackFansXL
wilmwolf80 said:

Timing is certainly interesting on these announcements. Phil was pretty roundly criticized when he suggested the tour was holding out in money that should go to the players. Seems he may have been correct. I still don't think the tour has hit the mark with these changes though. What I want as a fan is more compelling events broadcast in a better manner. I have as little interest in watching 8 limited field PGA exhibitions as I do watching the LIV tournaments.
I think you can watch some/all tournaments on alternative channels like ESPN+ and catch coverage of a subset of holes so you see the entire field play through. This may be limited to the majors, I don't know. I watched one round of the Master's this year on ESPN+ and found that style of coverage interesting. Eventually, I got tired of watching the same holes played repeatedly; so, I switched to the main coverage when the final pairings began to play.
caryking
CLA327 said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

caryking said:

TheStorm said:

Interesting tidbit, Chris Knott, who started Peter Millar, got started in the clothing business by working at Ashworth's Clothing in Fuquay Varina when he was 14, along with Steve Ashworth, who now owns and operates that store and is an NCSU graduate himself....
I know all those guys.

Joe Biden
TheStorm
LIV players barred from participating in the upcoming Scottish Open (primary warm up for The Open Championship)...

Not next year. THIS YEAR.
jadawson
TheStorm said:

LIV players barred from participating in the upcoming Scottish Open (primary warm up for The Open Championship)...

Not next year. THIS YEAR.

I believe the next 3 European tour events are all co-sanctioned with the pga tour. So this makes sense. Wonder if they'll give releases after this stretch
wilmwolf
Eh, apparently the Euro tour didn't immediately suspend guys like the PGA tour did, so now they are suspending and fining them. The fine is only $3k more than last place in the LIV event, so I doubt any of them are too worried. Looks like they'll still be able to play the Open.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.