PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,301 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Third time in what? The last 7 years that he's shut it down for a partial rebuild?

Sounds about right. They made changes to the first several holes before the Presidents Cup and I seem to recall did the greens another time not so long ago

For the PGA the first time... I went to the Wells Fargo at Eagle Point in the Porters Neck area that year... 2017?
packgrad
Brooks redeems himself. Hovland **** the bed on 16.

Block was a phenomenal story. Got me a little choked up.
wilmwolf
Congrats to Brooks on his runner up finish to Michael Block.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Lol, certainly in terms of storylines, he was runner up.
Who didn't get a little teary eyed when he hit the ace on 15
Packchem91
Crazy that two guys derailed their chances to win with almost identical blunders of plugging a bunker shot into the face - just like any of us can do (though we'd probably get the ruling incorrect)
wilmwolf
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It was a great story. First time I ever remember seeing highlights from a guy that finished 15th in the final champions montage. Could tell that Nantz was way more interested in talking about that than Brooks. I thought Brooks showed some genuine emotion, and I've been critical of him in the past for being a golf robot, so that was nice.

To your post below, I was very surprised Hovland did that after what happened yesterday. It was crazy that both balls were so close to being embedded in the bunker, just barely getting into the grass. I don't think either guy executed their shots well, but you'd think aiming further left with a big fade would take the face out of play, which is very easy for me to say on the couch
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It was a great story. First time I ever remember seeing highlights from a guy that finished 15th in the final champions montage. Could tell that Nantz was way more interested in talking about that than Brooks. I thought Brooks showed some genuine emotion, and I've been critical of him in the past for being a golf robot, so that was nice.

To your post below, I was very surprised Hovland did that after what happened yesterday. It was crazy that both balls were so close to being embedded in the bunker, just barely getting into the grass. I don't think either guy executed their shots well, but you'd think aiming further left with a big fade would take the face out of play, which is very easy for me to say on the couch

I'm not a Brooks fan and thought his tv interview with Amanda Renner just further evidenced why I am not a fan. Just so evasive ( amd he was certainly not helped by the Netflix show, on which he was portrayed as blah-blah as he always comes across on Tv)

That said, dude has the guts of a champion. Every time he had a halfway bad shot, he made a good one to overcome. Amd his putting in majors is just incredible.

American fans, in general like underdogs, emotion, and comebacks. Block personified all of that (I calm the way he responded to some crazy bad shots where you just assumed "ok, now he's done" with a great recovery)

And I think CBS recognized the viewing audience was going to be much more compelled by him than by Brooks and the talented but boring Norwegian.
TheStorm
Listen guys... sure the Michael Block stuff was cool, but that's not what drives the eyes to the tournament.

Never for me anyway. I'm there to see who wins and that's what I care about watching the most.

As far as #16 goes, neither Conners (Saturday) or Hovland were close to the face of that bunker and both hit 9 irons which should have been plenty. 2 freak shots.

Kept waiting for Koepka to choke and instead it was always someone else... I'll hand him that much and that's it.

Shouldn't have been in the tournament to begin with as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: They really, really, really need to get rid of Jim Nance... he's like a one-trick pony - and the trick is just old and tiresome at this point.
packgrad
TheStorm said:

Listen guys... sure the Michael Block stuff was cool, but that's not what drives the eyes to the tournament.

Never for me anyway. I'm there to see who wins and that's what I care about watching the most.

As far as #16 goes, neither Conners (Saturday) or Hovland were close to the face of that bunker and both hit 9 irons which should have been plenty. 2 freak shots.

Kept waiting for Koepka to choke and instead it was always someone else... I'll hand him that much and that's it.

ETA: They really, really, really need to get rid of Jim Nance... he's like a one-trick pony - and the trick is just old and tiresome at this point.
Yeah, on 16. Two freak shots. Honestly, I love when the pros do that. I hate it for them when its in the final round and they are competing for the championship, but any other time I love it. Makes me feel better about my **** game. I would definitely do that and wouldn't have an announcer excusing it because of a lie. Instead, I'd have a buddy suppressing laughter or talking ***** And I definitely would have ruled it incorrectly (but now I know).

I disagree on Brooks. I like him. I'm ready for the PGA and LIV to work things out. Its clear these guys should be playing in the majors. Brooks almost won the last two.

Also disagree on Block. Admittedly, I had a busy weekend so I did not get to see much of the tournament. I did tune in briefly and saw him tee off. In and out doing yard work for 2-3 hours checking in periodically on scores and watching a hole or so. And I swear to whatever, that I tuned back in for the rest of coverage about 1 min 45 seconds before he aced 15. Then I watched the rest of the day. Once Hovland shanked the sand shot, the tournament was over. I was fine to ride the Block wave the rest of the round (2 holes? and post round coverage). It was good stuff. Good to see a small time guy do good against the best in the world. Maybe coverage on Block all 4 rounds was over the top. I only really watched Sunday late.
DrummerboyWolf
Wasn't able to watch yesterday because I was at the Wings Over Wayne airshow yesterday, which was awesome by the way, but I figured Koepka was going to win and he did. He absolutely had earned his right to be there by being a former champion and qualifying in numerous other ways. Fortunately the Majors are not run by the PGA Tour and they want the best players in the field. Congrats to Brooks. He is now again healthy and he is playing great.

I believe he is second in Ryder Cup points and since the PGA of America runs the Ryder Cup, then I think he qualifies and they have to let him play. Hopefully a couple of others can do well in the Majors and qualify or force Zach Johnson to pick them. I am hopeful that at least two or three are in the top 12 in points. We will see.

3 of the top 5 at Augusta were LIV players. 2 of the top 4 and 3 of the top 10 at the PGA were LIV players. You don't have to like it, but several of the top players in the world are playing the LIV Tour and the PGA Tour has had to scramble to make some changes. Now more professional golfers are benefitting from the LIV Tour coming on board and the PGA Tour being forced to react.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I disagree on the Block stuff. Sure, you, as a golf fan / diehard, and so tune in regardless. I am similar.
But CBS wants / needs the casual fan too -- and those fans are more aligned to storylines. Its one reason the ratings boom when Tiger is in the hunt -- those aren't people like me and you -- it is the guy who only watches if something "great" is occurring.
I think the Block storyline approached that. There is a reason fans on site, on twitter, and with the various media sources, were going much more nuts for him than for the leaders.

Regarding those 2 shots on 16 -- agreed -- neither looked particularly difficult. I guess that was part of the problem -- they looked just doable enough that the guys thought they could take the risk.

And agree on Koepka -- i was hoping he'd choke (while my sons love him and were happy), but man he is tough when he's focused -- which only seems to happen with majors.
TheStorm
Block got invited to play at Colonial this weekend, so he gets to continue to write his story... hey look, I was pulling for the guy just like everyone else, but to better cover everything yesterday I wished they would have shown all his shots... he was playing with Rory and it would have been nice to see all of it. In fact, they should do a better job of covering all the leaders like they used to do up until the last 5 years or so.

Block deserves everything that he's getting right now, and I certainly appreciate his confidence in himself... because if I'd have been him, I would have just ridden off into the sunset on that high - instead of now having to try to follow it up.
DrummerboyWolf
Here is an interview with Claude Harmon III, who is Brooks Koepka's swing coach. He makes some really good points about LIV vs the PGA Tour. Other athletes get guaranteed money, why shouldn't golfers get it too. Look at Carlos Rodon. He signed a huge contract and good for him, but has not made a single pitch yet for the Yankees. Hopefully he will, but he is still getting paid.

Harmon lets loose on everybody. A good read.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooks-koepka-coach-blasts-media-170035373.html
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Here is an interview with Claude Harmon III, who is Brooks Koepka's swing coach. He makes some really good points about LIV vs the PGA Tour. Other athletes get guaranteed money, why shouldn't golfers get it too. Look at Carlos Rodon. He signed a huge contract and good for him, but has not made a single pitch yet for the Yankees. Hopefully he will, but he is still getting paid.

But has there been any argument against pursuing guaranteed money (of course, for most of the stars, they also get sponsor $$ until they do something stupid)

The big gripe -- publicly, with the media -- was the butchers from whom that money comes. I'm not going to defend the golf media, because I think many of them have gone way overboard on LIV -- but hats a pretty significant fact to omit from the argument.

As for the root of the rest of his angry-guy rant, i mean, so far, we've seen one guy -- one of the premier majors players in the last several decades, do really well in 2 majors. And a couple other guys -- whom also had previous success in majors -- be competitve in one of the majors.
I think the impact of the huge wads of money on their productivity is probably a little too early to read. And he's nuts if he thinks fans/media don't immediately blame big pay days when stars of other sports have performance that falls off. Happens in every pro sport -- and not in college sports.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

But has there been any argument against pursuing guaranteed money (of course, for most of the stars, they also get sponsor $$ until they do something stupid)

The big gripe -- publicly, with the media -- was the butchers from whom that money comes. I'm not going to defend the golf media, because I think many of them have gone way overboard on LIV -- but hats a pretty significant fact to omit from the argument.

As for the root of the rest of his angry-guy rant, i mean, so far, we've seen one guy -- one of the premier majors players in the last several decades, do really well in 2 majors. And a couple other guys -- whom also had previous success in majors -- be competitve in one of the majors.
I think the impact of the huge wads of money on their productivity is probably a little too early to read. And he's nuts if he thinks fans/media don't immediately blame big pay days when stars of other sports have performance that falls off. Happens in every pro sport -- and not in college sports.
People do get different views of the same article...

I think this says it all:

"Brandel is a paid actor by NBC and Golf Channel. All he's trying to do is get his lines and shows for the Golf Channel. He's just trying to get lines for Brandel … And I mean, I love him, I think Eamon is a fantastic writer, but for Eamon Lynch and Brandel Chamblee, who worked for NBC Golf Channel to utter the words 'sports washing' when the company they work for televised the last two Winter Olympics in Russia and China with the same leaders that they've had. It's not like they were good leaders back then. It's not like Putin was a good guy, right?"
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
BobbyCox95
packgrad said:

TheStorm said:

Yeah, on 16. Two freak shots. Honestly, I love when the pros do that. I hate it for them when its in the final round and they are competing for the championship, but any other time I love it. Makes me feel better about my **** game. I would definitely do that and wouldn't have an announcer excusing it because of a lie. Instead, I'd have a buddy suppressing laughter or talking ***** And I definitely would have ruled it incorrectly (but now I know).

I disagree on Brooks. I like him. I'm ready for the PGA and LIV to work things out. Its clear these guys should be playing in the majors. Brooks almost won the last two.

Also disagree on Block. Admittedly, I had a busy weekend so I did not get to see much of the tournament. I did tune in briefly and saw him tee off. In and out doing yard work for 2-3 hours checking in periodically on scores and watching a hole or so. And I swear to whatever, that I tuned back in for the rest of coverage about 1 min 45 seconds before he aced 15. Then I watched the rest of the day. Once Hovland shanked the sand shot, the tournament was over. I was fine to ride the Block wave the rest of the round (2 holes? and post round coverage). It was good stuff. Good to see a small time guy do good against the best in the world. Maybe coverage on Block all 4 rounds was over the top. I only really watched Sunday late.
I've never been a Brooks fan but listening to his post win press conference, I was glad he was keeping his distance with the questions regarding LIV. Hearing the things he's said, it seems to me like he's one that wishes he could get a mulligan on that decision. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would enjoy the team format and the silly champagne baths etc.

I do agree with you that the best of the best should be allowed to participate in the majors as long as they've qualified. And for the next few years that will be the case. But I hope like hell the OWGR doesn't cave to the pressure of awarding points for LIV events. That's an invitation only tour, with no qualifying and only 3 rounds. Add to that, they're only competing against 47 people every week and only 6-12 would be legitimate competitors in majors, it makes it completely undeserving of OWGR consideration in my eyes.

LIV is very top heavy.....Brooks, DJ and Cam Smith are among the best in the world, then there's another 12-20 that are good golfers, not great. Then another 12 that are recognizable names but well past their prime and would never win another major, and then the rest are guys we've hardly ever heard of.

As far as Block goes.....cool story, I was rooting for him but good Lord was it overblown IMO. The dudes played in 7 majors before, dating back to 2007. He's obviously really good to have qualified that many times. He wasn't just some local golf pro. The hole in one was awesome tho.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

"Brandel is a paid actor by NBC and Golf Channel. All he's trying to do is get his lines and shows for the Golf Channel. He's just trying to get lines for Brandel … And I mean, I love him, I think Eamon is a fantastic writer, but for Eamon Lynch and Brandel Chamblee, who worked for NBC Golf Channel to utter the words 'sports washing' when the company they work for televised the last two Winter Olympics in Russia and China with the same leaders that they've had. It's not like they were good leaders back then. It's not like Putin was a good guy, right?"

I addressed what drummer did - the money - and said I'm not defending the media b/c some (and chamblee is the poster child) have gone overboard.

So I'm not sure to what difference you are referring?
Packchem91
BobbyCox95 said:

packgrad said:

TheStorm said:

I've never been a Brooks fan but listening to his post win press conference, I was glad he was keeping his distance with the questions regarding LIV. Hearing the things he's said, it seems to me like he's one that wishes he could get a mulligan on that decision. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would enjoy the team format and the silly champagne baths etc.

I do agree with you that the best of the best should be allowed to participate in the majors as long as they've qualified. And for the next few years that will be the case. But I hope like hell the OWGR doesn't cave to the pressure of awarding points for LIV events. That's an invitation only tour, with no qualifying and only 3 rounds. Add to that, they're only competing against 47 people every week and only 6-12 would be legitimate competitors in majors, it makes it completely undeserving of OWGR consideration in my eyes.

LIV is very top heavy.....Brooks, DJ and Cam Smith are among the best in the world, then there's another 12-20 that are good golfers, not great. Then another 12 that are recognizable names but well past their prime and would never win another major, and then the rest are guys we've hardly ever heard of.

As far as Block goes.....cool story, I was rooting for him but good Lord was it overblown IMO. The dudes played in 7 majors before, dating back to 2007. He's obviously really good to have qualified that many times. He wasn't just some local golf pro. The hole in one was awesome tho.

Very well stated. Brooks did make it clear - unlike Bryson - that he was not there to be a voice for LIV
That's kind of his career MO though - he's a guy who has always come across as indifferent to anything other than playing 18 holes of golf
(Which I found funny when all his backwards hat-wearing drunken frat boys got the first hugs post win)

But your comments on the stratification of LIV is spot on.
Regardless of how much they've been payed, no one should ever be shocked of DJ, Cam or Brooks wins a major, or any other event
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I addressed what drummer did - the money - and said I'm not defending the media b/c some (and chamblee is the poster child) have gone overboard.

Chem, perhaps I missed your points…

For me, the key point, in the section, I posted, is the calling out, of the hypocrisy, by the Golf Channel people. So, a lot of people have criticized where the money is coming from, for the LIV tournament. The article (the section I posted) calls out these people (and the Golf Channel) and the money they've made on equally or worse people.

This is not about Chamblee; rather, the company he works for…

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
caryking said:

For me, the key point, in the section, I posted, is the calling out, of the hypocrisy, by the Golf Channel people. So, a lot of people have criticized where the money is coming from, for the LIV tournament. The article (the section I posted) calls out these people (and the Golf Channel) and the money they've made on equally or worse people.

You are exactly right. People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones and that description fits for Chamblee and all the people ragging on the Saudis. Right now we have political prisoners being held in the DC Gulag for over two years. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? We have a sitting President spied on and tried to be set up by his opponent and members of her party. We have intelligence agencies spying illegally on Americans. I am not going to go any further into the political aspects but they are everywhere and they go on and on. The USA used to say they were the good guys and could make a case for that being true, but they can no longer do that. Our human rights are being violated right in front of our faces and many do not see it. Right now the United States Federal Government is just as bad if not worse than the Saudi's.

Rant over.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Who has the GC made money from that is worse than the Saudis?

Second, while I have stated Chamblee goes over the top, are you suggesting he shouldn't say something that is not in alignment with his own media company?
Frankly, that is exactly the issue everyone complains about with media today and we see so often

I think it's refreshing that he may not be in lock step with his parent company. Wouldn't we all be better if the talking heads in CNN, ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc were more often willing to take strong positions that may not be in sync with their ownership?
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Second, while I have stated Chamblee goes over the top, are you suggesting he shouldn't say something that is not in alignment with his own media company?
Frankly, that is exactly the issue everyone complains about with media today and we see so often

I think it's refreshing that he may not be in lock step with his parent company. Wouldn't we all be better if the talking heads in CNN, ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc were more often willing to take strong positions that may not be in sync with their ownership?
Chem, forget whether Chamblee is over the top. That's always subjective. The point is that comments have been made about LIV, and where the money came from, when NBC/GC has made money in equally bad places…

Wouldn't we all be better if the talking heads in CNN, ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc were more often willing to take strong positions that may not be in sync with their ownership?

Yes it would!! signed, Tucker Carlson

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Chem, forget whether Chamblee is over the top. That's always subjective. The point is that comments have been made about LIV, and where the money came from, when NBC/GC has made money in equally bad places…

Wouldn't we all be better if the talking heads in CNN, ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc were more often willing to take strong positions that may not be in sync with their ownership?

Apples to oranges. NBC paid billions to broadcast the Olympics, not the same as taking payment directly from the Saudis rather than the "league" that made you wealthy to begin with

Re your boy Tucker, maybe if Chamblee is dumb / nasty enough to send some of the text messages Tucker did, he'll get canned too.

Wolfer79
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Apples to oranges. NBC paid billions to broadcast the Olympics, not the same as taking payment directly from the Saudis rather than the "league" that made you wealthy to begin with

Re your boy Tucker, maybe if Chamblee is dumb / nasty enough to send some of the text messages Tucker did, he'll get canned too.

Oranges to Apples...

Joe Biden
wilmwolf
So folks having a lot to say about Block saying this on some sort of podcast:

"Oh my God," Block said. "What I would shoot from where Rory hits it would be stupid. I think I'd be one of the best players in the world.

"Hands down. If I had that stupid length, all day. My iron game, wedge game, around the greens and my putting is world class," he said.

I believe I saw that he averaged 291 off the tee last week, which isn't long compared to many tour pros but isn't exactly short either Doesn't really change my opinion on his accomplishment, but between that bit of hubris and finding out he's played in 50+ PGA tour events in his career, it takes a bit of the luster off his story. He's not exactly unknown humble driving range pro Roy McAvoy. The ace was still an amazing moment that will be talked about forever, no doubt, but the talk of turning his story into a movie (which I seriously saw) is jumping the shark for me.
DrummerboyWolf
NM
BobbyCox95
wilmwolf80 said:

So folks having a lot to say about Block saying this on some sort of podcast:

"Oh my God," Block said. "What I would shoot from where Rory hits it would be stupid. I think I'd be one of the best players in the world.

"Hands down. If I had that stupid length, all day. My iron game, wedge game, around the greens and my putting is world class," he said.

I believe I saw that he averaged 291 off the tee last week, which isn't long compared to many tour pros but isn't exactly short either Doesn't really change my opinion on his accomplishment, but between that bit of hubris and finding out he's played in 50+ PGA tour events in his career, it takes a bit of the luster off his story. He's not exactly unknown humble driving range pro Roy McAvoy. The ace was still an amazing moment that will be talked about forever, no doubt, but the talk of turning his story into a movie (which I seriously saw) is jumping the shark for me.

I think the Block thing got old pretty quickly. He kinda has the Roy Williams "aww shucks" thing going on that's not very believable to me. Like when he found out he was playing with Rory….his reaction was phony. And then the whole "did it go in? Rory, did it go in?." Dude, you knew good and well that went in….it wasn't a long shot, and it was downhill and you could see the hole. And people on the other side of the course knew the ball went in with that kinda roar. I don't think Rory is in the habit of giving hugs to his fellow competitors for hitting it close.
packgrad
Knew it was a matter of time.

FlossyDFlynt
packgrad said:

Knew it was a matter of time.

You must be one of the few, I am stunned at this news. So is my golf group text
SexualChocolate
They gave them an offer that they couldn't refuse. Saudi LIV becomes Chairman of the Board and Jay Monahan as CEO.
packgrad
hokiewolf
These are wild times. And to think Werewolf finally nailed a prediction!
wilmwolf
Gonna be some awkward moments in the locker room for a while. I imagine that neither party wanted all the various lawsuits to continue with discovery and so on. I think many people thought this would be the ultimate end point, but I didn't think it would happen this fast.
TraCha4
Wow….shocked!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.