PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,661 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

Gonna be some awkward moments in the locker room for a while. I imagine that neither party wanted all the various lawsuits to continue with discovery and so on. I think many people thought this would be the ultimate end point, but I didn't think it would happen this fast.

Imagine the guys who walked away from millions after Monahan and Rory twisted arms! Which was fine, right up until monahan sold them out

Have to assume the anti-trust lawsuit was trending negatively for the PGA, only reason to move at this time
wilmwolf
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Gonna be some awkward moments in the locker room for a while. I imagine that neither party wanted all the various lawsuits to continue with discovery and so on. I think many people thought this would be the ultimate end point, but I didn't think it would happen this fast.

Imagine the guys who walked away from millions after Monahan and Rory twisted arms! Which was fine, right up until monahan sold them out

Have to assume the anti-trust lawsuit was trending negatively for the PGA, only reason to move at this time
Apparently the PGA tour guys didn't find out till the news hit twitter. Yikes.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
caryking
So, for all those people that criticized the LIV tour and the people that joined it (you know taking the blood money), well what the hell? Perhaps that blood money is likable, by the PGA as well…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
caryking
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It's always about money! None of them give a damn where the money comes from…

Joe Biden
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Here is an interview with Claude Harmon III, who is Brooks Koepka's swing coach. He makes some really good points about LIV vs the PGA Tour. Other athletes get guaranteed money, why shouldn't golfers get it too. Look at Carlos Rodon. He signed a huge contract and good for him, but has not made a single pitch yet for the Yankees. Hopefully he will, but he is still getting paid.

Harmon lets loose on everybody. A good read.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooks-koepka-coach-blasts-media-170035373.html
But has there been any argument against pursuing guaranteed money (of course, for most of the stars, they also get sponsor $$ until they do something stupid)

The big gripe -- publicly, with the media -- was the butchers from whom that money comes. I'm not going to defend the golf media, because I think many of them have gone way overboard on LIV -- but hats a pretty significant fact to omit from the argument.

As for the root of the rest of his angry-guy rant, i mean, so far, we've seen one guy -- one of the premier majors players in the last several decades, do really well in 2 majors. And a couple other guys -- whom also had previous success in majors -- be competitve in one of the majors.
I think the impact of the huge wads of money on their productivity is probably a little too early to read. And he's nuts if he thinks fans/media don't immediately blame big pay days when stars of other sports have performance that falls off. Happens in every pro sport -- and not in college sports.
People do get different views of the same article...

I think this says it all:

"Brandel is a paid actor by NBC and Golf Channel. All he's trying to do is get his lines and shows for the Golf Channel. He's just trying to get lines for Brandel … And I mean, I love him, I think Eamon is a fantastic writer, but for Eamon Lynch and Brandel Chamblee, who worked for NBC Golf Channel to utter the words 'sports washing' when the company they work for televised the last two Winter Olympics in Russia and China with the same leaders that they've had. It's not like they were good leaders back then. It's not like Putin was a good guy, right?"

I addressed what drummer did - the money - and said I'm not defending the media b/c some (and chamblee is the poster child) have gone overboard.

So I'm not sure to what difference you are referring?
Chem, perhaps I missed your points…

For me, the key point, in the section, I posted, is the calling out, of the hypocrisy, by the Golf Channel people. So, a lot of people have criticized where the money is coming from, for the LIV tournament. The article (the section I posted) calls out these people (and the Golf Channel) and the money they've made on equally or worse people.

This is not about Chamblee; rather, the company he works for…

Who has the GC made money from that is worse than the Saudis?

Second, while I have stated Chamblee goes over the top, are you suggesting he shouldn't say something that is not in alignment with his own media company?
Frankly, that is exactly the issue everyone complains about with media today and we see so often

I think it's refreshing that he may not be in lock step with his parent company. Wouldn't we all be better if the talking heads in CNN, ABC, ESPN, Fox, etc were more often willing to take strong positions that may not be in sync with their ownership?
What will they do now?

Joe Biden
jkpackfan
FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

Knew it was a matter of time.

You must be one of the few, I am stunned at this news. So is my golf group text
Same here, don't get it from the pga tour side but perhaps the lawsuits weren't looking so great for them.
wilmwolf
Based on the letter sent to the players, the PGA was worried about maintaining their non profit exemption. It's always all about the money.
TheStorm
jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

Same here, don't get it from the pga tour side but perhaps the lawsuits weren't looking so great for them.
Yeah, I'm not happy about it and either is anybody else that I play golf with... 54 holes and money for nothing is not good for the game of golf. Period.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Based on the letter sent to the players, the PGA was worried about maintaining their non profit exemption. It's always all about the money.

This is the only viable answer because otherwise, the LIV on its own was no threat
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

Yeah, I'm not happy about it and either is anybody else that I play golf with... 54 holes and money for nothing is not good for the game of golf. Period.

Is that what they are doing? If so, I hate that
wilmwolf
So the Saudi government fund behind LIV owns stakes of companies all over the world, like EA, Uber, Boeing, Disney, bank of America, Citigroup, BP, Newcastle United FC. The golf media was so self righteous about players talking blood money from the Saudis, but there's a **** load of companies that already sponsored the PGA tour on the list. I don't recall journalists talking about those companies in the same negative light. I've seen some of the LIV guys talked about like they themselves were terrorists by golf media. And now what will happen with all that grandstanding?
wilmwolf
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

I don't think the PGA tour is going to go to the LIV format. My theory is that LIV will still exist separately in some form, but you'll see more of the big names come back to the tour in some capacity and the money will go way down on the LIV circuit. I don't personally think the number of holes they play in a tournament matters. Over the history of golf the format of tournaments has varied, even in the majors. If they start playing shortened majors with shotgun starts, yeah that would be a problem, but for a normal tour stop, who cares. As for money for nothing, in every other professional sport, you make money just for showing up, so that doesn't matter to me either as long as the winner makes more than the last place guy.

ETA- I'm fine with people who dislike LIV because of the format. Even though I don't really care about the number of holes, I've always thought the team concept was dumb and never really cared for millionaires playing in shorts. That's all the journalists really had to do was just make fun of it because it's dumb and would never break even, but they chose the moral high ground argument, and that has left them all looking silly.
jkpackfan
TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

1000% agreed
DrummerboyWolf
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

This is the only viable answer because otherwise, the LIV on its own was no threat
Well if LIV was no threat then why did they change a lot of the things they were doing as far as paying players and making purses bigger and have no cut events? The Saudis had never ending money and were a threat whether anybody wanted to believe that or not.

There was probably some concern on both sides about discovery in the case, but the shouting by all the golf media about taking money from the Saudi's was stupid. The PGA Tour has had business with China and sponsors who have dealings with China and Russia. Saudi's do have some problems, but China and Russia and other countries have their own problems. The government of the United States is not absolved either and lately their human rights abuse has been pretty bad.

Phil was right about everything and I know that grates the Hell out of people here, but he was right.

Interesting to see how it works out. If they reinstate the players to the PGA, then and only then will I ever watch it again.

Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

I don't think the PGA tour is going to go to the LIV format. My theory is that LIV will still exist separately in some form, but you'll see more of the big names come back to the tour in some capacity and the money will go way down on the LIV circuit. I don't personally think the number of holes they play in a tournament matters. Over the history of golf the format of tournaments has varied, even in the majors. If they start playing shortened majors with shotgun starts, yeah that would be a problem, but for a normal tour stop, who cares. As for money for nothing, in every other professional sport, you make money just for showing up, so that doesn't matter to me either as long as the winner makes more than the last place guy.

ETA- I'm fine with people who dislike LIV because of the format. Even though I don't really care about the number of holes, I've always thought the team concept was dumb and never really cared for millionaires playing in shorts. That's all the journalists really had to do was just make fun of it because it's dumb and would never break even, but they chose the moral high ground argument, and that has left them all looking silly.
No, I fully agree that the PGA won't go to the LIV format, and that LIV will continue to exist in some form...
Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Well if LIV was no threat then why did they change a lot of the things they were doing as far as paying players and making purses bigger and have no cut events? The Saudis had never ending money and were a threat whether anybody wanted to believe that or not.

There was probably some concern on both sides about discovery in the case, but the shouting by all the golf media about taking money from the Saudi's was stupid. The PGA Tour has had business with China and sponsors who have dealings with China and Russia. Saudi's do have some problems, but China and Russia and other countries have their own problems. The government of the United States is not absolved either and lately their human rights abuse has been pretty bad.

Phil was right about everything and I know that grates the Hell out of people here, but he was right.

Interesting to see how it works out. If they reinstate the players to the PGA, then and only then will I ever watch it again.

Once the PGA adjusted its payscale, they were no longer a threat.
Ratings? No
Player defections? Who was the last one? Matt Wolf?

The big deal here is the tax status.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

No, I fully agree that the PGA won't go to the LIV format, and that LIV will continue to exist in some form...

I've read almost nothing on it yet, but how will that work then? The LIV guys will get paid $$$ to play their events and then randomly chose PGA tour events to play?
I can't imagine that would go over well?

The PGA guys get appearance fees to show up at a handful of LIV events, kinda like happened pre-LIV?
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

I've read almost nothing on it yet, but how will that work then? The LIV guys will get paid $$$ to play their events and then randomly chose PGA tour events to play?
I can't imagine that would go over well?

The PGA guys get appearance fees to show up at a handful of LIV events, kinda like happened pre-LIV?
I haven't seen anything yet either, but it will certainly be interesting when we do...
wilmwolf
I don't think anyone really knows how it will work. The letter from the tour uses words like "framework" to describe the new entity, so I don't think they've thought that far ahead. The easy thing to do would be to simply combine the LIV events with the copycat team based competitions and limited field events the tour was going to do and intersperse that with the existing schedule. Or maybe guys go to LIV on a two year contract or something but can still earn rankings points and play majors. Who knows.
TheStorm
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37800897/viktor-hovland-caddies-friend-day-pga-tour-victory

I thought this was a really cool story, and I was really happy to see Hovland win this past weekend.
910wolf
Man, this news came out of nowhere. I wonder how many people truly knew a deal was in the works. Shocking that it was kept under wraps and the players didn't even know.

This is a relief to me personally as a golf fan. I never cared where the money came from. A divided golf world just created a ****tier product for fans. I do find it hilarious it appears Greg Norman was left in the dark on this. Seems the deal is strictly between PGA and the PIF, not necessarily LIV.

Will be interesting to see the schedule they set up. I assume they'll keep a team concept series and they may still call them LIV events. Now they'll be able to truly get the top 48 players in the world in the team events and not hand out free money to scrubs like Chase Koepka, James Piot, Andy Ogletree, etc. and pretend it is a premier field.

Team events with all the top guys would be fun, as long as they don't try to keep the 54-hole, shotgun start BS. That **** is still incredibly dumb.
Packchem91
910wolf said:

Man, this news came out of nowhere. I wonder how many people truly knew a deal was in the works. Shocking that it was kept under wraps and the players didn't even know.

This is a relief to me personally as a golf fan. I never cared where the money came from. A divided golf world just created a ****tier product for fans. I do find it hilarious it appears Greg Norman was left in the dark on this. Seems the deal is strictly between PGA and the PIF, not necessarily LIV.

Will be interesting to see the schedule they set up. I assume they'll keep a team concept series and they may still call them LIV events. Now they'll be able to truly get the top 48 players in the world in the team events and not hand out free money to scrubs like Chase Koepka, James Piot, Andy Ogletree, etc. and pretend it is a premier field.

Team events with all the top guys would be fun, as long as they don't try to keep the 54-hole, shotgun start BS. That **** is still incredibly dumb.

And that the head of PIF will be the chairman of the board if the new company. Over Monihan.
910wolf
Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

And that the head of PIF will be the chairman of the board if the new company. Over Monihan.

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the golf. That position gives PIF final say on investors into the new for profit business.

Monahan (or whoever replaces him if the players are able to have him removed) is still CEO and in charge of the actual golf.

It was never about golf for Saudi/PIF. They always just wanted to get inside the business world of professional golf and rub elbows with the CEO of FedEx, Comcast, and all the other tour's big sponsors.

Just sucks we had to go through an attempted hostile takeover to get to this point.
DrummerboyWolf
Jay Monahan is not having a good day. He apparently took a lot of arrows today at the players meeting and accepted that.

A good story here from Dan Wetzel. I don't agree with everything he says in the story but he is right in one respect. Money talks and business is business.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pga-tour-goes-full-hypocrite-in-its-merger-with-liv-golf-165438579.html

Here are some tweets from Dylan Wu who is on the PGA Tour. Some funny stuff here.

Here I will just link to his page. Some good stuff on here.

https://twitter.com/dylan_wu59?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1666107284055834626%7Ctwgr%5E2842b3c4dc8dbe4b1ced8d60acc5e84bf41a24c1%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Finsidepacksports.com%2Fforums%2F4%2Ftopics%2F24969%2F14

Packchem91
910wolf said:

Packchem91 said:

910wolf said:

That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the golf. That position gives PIF final say on investors into the new for profit business.

Monahan (or whoever replaces him if the players are able to have him removed) is still CEO and in charge of the actual golf.

It was never about golf for Saudi/PIF. They always just wanted to get inside the business world of professional golf and rub elbows with the CEO of FedEx, Comcast, and all the other tour's big sponsors.

Just sucks we had to go through an attempted hostile takeover to get to this point.

Right, I don't care what the role is, the fact that a Saudi is now in that position of power - whether business or golf - in the PGA tour is crazy

So the Saudis are now entrenched in the EPL, F1, the PGA Tour.

How long before someone buys out an NBA, MLB, or NFL team
DrummerboyWolf
And finally from Brooks Koepka.

Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf said:

Chamblee was on via zoom or some such tonight.
Held to form. Said from those whom he'd spoken to leaned towards an insistence from the PGA not to get caught up in the legal battle
Also brought up what seems a good point - the LIV guys were suing the PGA for monopoly (despite having got paid millions to form their own league), but now they were collapsing all three into one structure. Seems counter to their messaging lol.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Held to form. Said from those whom he'd spoken to leaned towards an insistence from the PGA not to get caught up in the legal battle
Also brought up what seems a good point - the LIV guys were suing the PGA for monopoly (despite having got paid millions to form their own league), but now they were collapsing all three into one structure. Seems counter to their messaging lol.
Chamblee is a blow hard, talking head…. Because NBC is his employer, he will continue to talk about this…

Joe Biden
caryking
910wolf said:

Easy now… Chase is a big fan of Stitch..

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Chamblee is a blow hard, talking head…. Because NBC is his employer, he will continue to talk about this…

He is. But why should he stop talking about it? Again, you talk a lot about media corruption, but if the guy is paid to give his opinion, amd does so consistently regardless of changing business or political climate, isn't that EXACTLY what we'd want him to do?

The GC will surely still pay a lot of $ for broadcast rights for the tour. But if he continues to criticize them, then I'd say he's doing his job correctly. If he stops, then we can all call him a hypocrite and say he's changed his tune now that his employer is buying the broadcast rights for a Saudi backed league

Monahan is the hypocrite here, not Chamblee (even though I agree he goes over the top).
Wufpack17
They are all hypocrites, aside from the Tour plays who held their ground, every last one of them.

The LIV players complained about a monopoly, filed a lawsuit over it, and ultimately helped create a larger one. They complained about "TOO MANY TOURNAMENTS" and then complained about losing WGR points.

Monahan held to the "immorality" of the PIF (it is. They are still commiting human rights violations). He now finds himself making more money than before and self elevating himself to "CEO".

I think it's abundantly clear that LIV itself was not going to last. The PIF folks wanted to tie their horse to something more reputable and long lasting, the PGA tour.

Regarding players coming back to the tour? I'd only allow those back who A) didn't sue the players and B) didn't claim to join LIV for anything other than money. Let DJ, Brooks, Gooch, etc. back. They didn't sue, they all admitted to only doing it for money and they all still have good standing with tour players. The rest like Reed, screw em.

Wufpack17
caryking said:

So, for all those people that criticized the LIV tour and the people that joined it (you know taking the blood money), well what the hell? Perhaps that blood money is likable, by the PGA as well…
It was the only way that the PGA Tour could stay out of legal issues and the only way for the PIF people to hitch their wagon to a legitimate golf league. LIV was never going to stick around. As much as they wanted their propaganda and spin to work, people just weren't watching and weren't giving a damn. The PGA Tour still has the best players the best fields, etc. I like Brooks, but damn, I don't give a **** about him playing in a field with mini tour pros and a handful of good players. That just isn't interesting.
TheStorm
Wufpack17 said:

caryking said:

It was the only way that the PGA Tour could stay out of legal issues and the only way for the PIF people to hitch their wagon to a legitimate golf league. LIV was never going to stick around. As much as they wanted their propaganda and spin to work, people just weren't watching and weren't giving a damn. The PGA Tour still has the best players the best fields, etc. I like Brooks, but damn, I don't give a **** about him playing in a field with mini tour pros and a handful of good players. That just isn't interesting.
I can proudly say that I've never watched a single stroke of a LIV Golf event...
910wolf
caryking said:

910wolf said:

Easy now… Chase is a big fan of Stitch..

Haha it's no offense to him, he's just not a world class player.

Hope you guys had a successful week with the Korn Ferry event last week.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Wufpack17 said:

caryking said:

I can proudly say that I've never watched a single stroke of a LIV Golf event...

I think it's safe to say 90% of golf fans did not

I hope they don't integrate team play. I have no interest I watching Rory, Adam Hadwin, and Sepp Straka stank f around in uniforms waiting to see if JT Poston candy drain an 8 foot putt for 76 so they win an extra $300k
Save team golf for country, school and club where it's beautiful

Frankly I don't care if none of the LIV guys are invited back with two exceptions - I would enjoy seeing Cam Smith and Harold Varner again. But the rest - even the "stars", I have no interest in.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.