PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,682 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
910wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

910wolf said:

TheStorm said:

Tour Championship has been pretty entertaining so far. Lots of action yesterday if you were lucky enough to watch it.

Now, just for ****s and giggles... besides Cam Smith, who do you expect any of the "other 7 names" will be? This is meant to be fun.

I'll opine on the following:

Paul Casey
Adam Scott

any other guesses, knows, etc.?
Paul Casey already played a LIV event. Names rumored:

Cam Smith
Marc Leishman
Cam Tringale
Harold Varner
Anirban Lahiri

Joaquin Neiman ?
Cameron Young ???

You seem to be pretty dialed in as to what is going on?
I follow pro golf very closely. It is my second favorite sport behind College Football
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Tour Championship has been pretty entertaining so far. Lots of action yesterday if you were lucky enough to watch it.

Now, just for ****s and giggles... besides Cam Smith, who do you expect any of the "other 7 names" will be? This is meant to be fun.

.?

Just got home from a golf w/e in southern pines, so hasn't watched much. But with Rory making a run now, this is electric
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

.?

Just got home from a golf w/e in southern pines, so hasn't watched much. But with Rory making a run now, this is electric
I thought it was incredibly exciting. Rory was also very eloquent and genuine in his speech afterwards.

*I also don't generally like the format that they've gone to the last 3 or so years... I liked the old one better, where whoever won the tournament won the tournament and the excitement of watching the little green numbers next to the names changing every hole for the FedEx cup.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

.?

I thought it was incredibly exciting. Rory was also very eloquent and genuine in his speech afterwards.

*I also don't generally like the format that they've gone to the last 3 or so years... I liked the old one better, where whoever won the tournament won the tournament and the excitement of watching the little green numbers next to the names changing every hole for the FedEx cup.
Rory has become one of my favorite athletes. I appreciate ones in any sport who (1) respect the game and their competitors, and (2) are thoughtful in their answers....and he epitomizes both.

The new format is goofy on Thursday, but I like it overall. If you remember, they changed to this format because the year Tiger won the tournament, but Justin Rose was teh FedEx champion....they wanted more of a winner-take-all format, but reward the guys who came in to the week at the top but offsetting the starting scores.

Granted, it runs the risk of creating a runaway on Sunday -- and if Scheffler had just played decent Sunday afternoon, it would not have been nearly as compelling.

Packchem91
^One thing I did notice yesterday.....they kept showing that graphic about how much the player was going to make as they closed the tournament as compared to what they were going to make heading in. Maybe they've always done that, I just noticed it more yesterday. Sungjae Im, for example, went up by several million $$ yesterday, as did Max Homa. And Tony Finau was not even in the field 6 weeks ago, won, another top 5, and did well enough yesterday to get up to top 10, and win a ton of $$

I also like the idea of a $750k putt Scheffler had on the last hole, to either tie for 2nd or be 3rd solo....
It created good drama

And no, LIV, despite it offering great $$, does not create / have nearly that type of drama - as in 1000:1 type of comparison. It feels so much more like exhibition golf than tournament golf.
Maybe that changes if a bunch of top players follow Cam Smith over....but any time every event is just 48 players, it feels like an exhibition
wilmwolf
I bet the golf media loved the Tour's staunchest defender against LIV winning the tour championship. Maybe this whole thing lights a fire underneath Rory and he picks up a few more majors or finally gets the Masters that's eluded him.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfer79
Harold Varner III at least didn't dance around it or BS: "The opportunity to join LIV Golf is simply too good of a financial breakthrough for me to pass by." Presuming Michael Jordan told him to wait until the playoffs were over to maximize the cash grab

Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

Harold Varner III at least didn't dance around it or BS: "The opportunity to join LIV Golf is simply too good of a financial breakthrough for me to pass by." Presuming Michael Jordan told him to wait until the playoffs were over to maximize the cash grab

Much respect for the man telling it like it is for him. No problem with that at all. He gained a new fan today.
packgrad
Packchem91
packgrad said:

Hate to see Varner and Cam Smith go. While most of the defections to the LIV have been guys I didnt like anyway and don't miss watching, I like both of these guys.

And they both clearly learned from the public opinion blunders of their predecessors and were forthcoming about cash being the big deal here.
TheStorm
I wonder who the 7th player was that decided not to go through with it - yet?

I saw Mito Pereira's name mentioned previously - and very close friend of Joaquin Niemann - as someone that will "probably" join somewhere down the road... so I wonder if he was #7 - or if it was someone else?

I will miss Cam Smith... but I also thought that I'd miss DJ, but then really haven't.
jadawson
TheStorm said:

I saw Mito Pereira's name mentioned previously - and very close friend of Joaquin Niemann - as someone that will "probably" join somewhere down the road... so I wonder if he was #7 - or if it was someone else?

I will miss Cam Smith... but I also thought that I'd miss DJ, but then really haven't.

Saw a report that Cam Young was going to go but reconsidered late stages of the move
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I'd assume it was Cam Young --- from his own interview, sounded like he was headed that direction, but then got concerned about all the blowback of the other players who'd gone that way
caryking
Packchem91 said:

packgrad said:

Hate to see Varner and Cam Smith go. While most of the defections to the LIV have been guys I didnt like anyway and don't miss watching, I like both of these guys.

And they both clearly learned from the public opinion blunders of their predecessors and were forthcoming about cash being the big deal here.
We used to sponsor Harold Varner. I can tell you, he is a solid person...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
wilmwolf
Some of these names are what I've been waiting for, wondering what the reaction will be when it is guys that are well liked. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Varner. Will he now be a villain or will the golf media and fellow players give him a pass? And if the blowback is softer with this latest crop of guys, would that make other guys consider switching sides? I'm still not compelled to watch, and I still feel like eventually the tours will merge again, but the ride to get there is interesting. As the golf world turns.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Some of these names are what I've been waiting for, wondering what the reaction will be when it is guys that are well liked. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Varner. Will he now be a villain or will the golf media and fellow players give him a pass? And if the blowback is softer with this latest crop of guys, would that make other guys consider switching sides? I'm still not compelled to watch, and I still feel like eventually the tours will merge again, but the ride to get there is interesting. As the golf world turns.
It's a great question. I think being forthright (ie, just saying "yes, its because i want a bunch of $$$") will help with the media. And to your point, the fact these guys are liked, will help them. I think many of the media were looking for any reason to savage Phil...and they got their wish.
And I suspect the more times this occurs, the less venom the media can continue to sustain.

I also agree, I still have no interest in watching. I may check leaderboard on line, but that'd be the extent of it.

And also agree, the more the value shifts, the more likely it is that the two sides are forced to compromise, but man, the venom between the two leaders sure seems to make that hard to envision at this point -- Norman seems to have made the whole world hate him
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It's a great question. I think being forthright (ie, just saying "yes, its because i want a bunch of $$$") will help with the media. And to your point, the fact these guys are liked, will help them. I think many of the media were looking for any reason to savage Phil...and they got their wish.
And I suspect the more times this occurs, the less venom the media can continue to sustain.

I also agree, I still have no interest in watching. I may check leaderboard on line, but that'd be the extent of it.

And also agree, the more the value shifts, the more likely it is that the two sides are forced to compromise, but man, the venom between the two leaders sure seems to make that hard to envision at this point -- Norman seems to have made the whole world hate him
I don't have any problem with any of them that leave... that's their own personal choice... will be really interesting to see how they feel next year when they get blocked from playing in any of the majors though.
wilmwolf
It will be very interesting to see if the euros actually follow through with blocking the defending Open champion, and current #2 player in the world, from playing in the Open. I have no doubt that the US organizations will block guys from playing the US Open and PGA championship, but I'm not certain the Euros will follow through, and whoever knows what Augusta will do.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

It will be very interesting to see if the euros actually follow through with blocking the defending Open champion, and current #2 player in the world, from playing in the Open. I have no doubt that the US organizations will block guys from playing the US Open and PGA championship, but I'm not certain the Euros will follow through, and whoever knows what Augusta will do.
Hard to know for sure, because this seems to be a very dynamic story....but I'd be shocked if the R&A doesn't allow Cam Smith to defend. I know thats opening a pandora's box, but the tie with Australian golf, the fact he's defending....and I think a year from now, tensions will have settled....

But, lets be honest, if Cam Smith doesn't show up at The Open next year, I'll watch, and I won't miss him. I'm there for the event -- I don't want a no-name to win it, but there are plenty of other guys to pull for in it.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I don't have any problem with any of them that leave... that's their own personal choice... will be really interesting to see how they feel next year when they get blocked from playing in any of the majors though.
I don't either --- my dislike for it has always been that it takes away a little from the PGA Tour, and now with Smith and Varner, guys i actually pull for.

As for blocked...well at least they know what the risk is. They're informed.
Though I did see a comment yesterday from John Wood, the former caddy-turned-announcer, that IF not for the agents' insistence, several of the guys going to LIV would have stayed on PGA.
jadawson
I'd imagine the majors are waiting for the OWGR decision and hope that decides for them. If LIV doesn't give you any points towards world rankings the majors can just say "guys with earned exemptions come on down, everyone else qualify if you can"
wilmwolf
Which, IMO, should be what they do. The US Open by definition is open to anyone on any tour of any status who can qualify. Banning guys who are otherwise qualified solely because they joined a different tour that people don't like is petty, and seems on shaky legal ground to me. It's different to me than the tour championship, there's no way you should be able to play in that if you've joined a rival tour, but a major, especially an Open, that is run by the USGA, not the PGA tour, that just feels wrong to me. If no ranking points are given to LIV events, the issue will resolve itself in a year or so, with no need for legal fireworks. The current level of animosity, however, seems to dictate that neither side will take the easy road on any issue at this point.
TheStorm
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/golf-legend-gary-player-rips-liv-golf-cameron-smith-they-dont-have-confidence-be-winners
Packchem91
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34508592/phil-mickelson-says-feedback-liv-golf-pga-tour-competitors-appreciative-new-windfall-sport
SexualChocolate
The things I like about LIV:

1: Arlo White and David Feherty are really good. Love the banter.
2: Like the music in the background.
3: I really like saying that Pat Perez is bringing down the Aces again!
4: Bubba co-captaining until next year. HaHa!
DrummerboyWolf
Sorry to enter back in. This story broke today.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/phil-mickelson-tells-rory-mcilroy-123216329.html
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Packchem91
SexualChocolate said:

The things I like about LIV:

1: Arlo White and David Feherty are really good. Love the banter.
2: Like the music in the background.
3: I really like saying that Pat Perez is bringing down the Aces again!
4: Bubba co-captaining until next year. HaHa!

I miss Arlo White on EPL coverage
wilmwolf
Interesting how Yahoo framed those quotes compared to the ESPN article.
SexualChocolate
Lee Westwood with the shorts and long socks is tearing up right now on the LIV Tour!
Wolfer79
Greg Norman claims LIV Golf is talking to four networks: The interest 'is enormous' dlvr.it/SYNW9q
Wolfer79
Apple and Amazon told LIV Golf to look elsewhere for a media rights deal, per @andrewlbeaton and @JBFlint sources.

jadawson
I'd be really interested in what kind of deal they would get. They dont have the best metrics to show off to networks but they've been on non-traditional services only so far. Most of the people i know that watch it are thrilled its on youtube for free, im sure a network would not allow that kind of youtube streaming to co exist.
Wolfer79
Patrick Reed on joining LIV: "the quality of life for us as players now, having less events, being able to spend more time at home with the family, not having to play three, four weeks in a row…"

Reed's September: Boston, Wentworth, Chicago, Paris, Dunhill. Five weeks in a row.

jadawson
Wolfer79 said:

Patrick Reed on joining LIV: "the quality of life for us as players now, having less events, being able to spend more time at home with the family, not having to play three, four weeks in a row…"

Reed's September: Boston, Wentworth, Chicago, Paris, Dunhill. Five weeks in a row.

genuinely just towing the company line at this point, facts be damned.

next year the LIV is going to have 14 mandatory events and the players obviously would want to play in the majors as well, giving them 18 events.

The PGA only required 15 events in the past, and this was inclusive of the majors and fed ex cup events. Nobody forced them to play more than that.

Rory only played 10 pga tour events this season that weren't majors or fed ex cup events.
jadawson
not exactly on topic but as someone else that really got into golf after college this was very funny and relatable

https://www.tiktok.com/@liqueshack/video/7153365452557897006?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=6920710081874396678

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.