PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,290 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw something floating across the ESPN Ticker in the overnight hours about Mickelson spouting off about him being on the "winning" side (or some similar nonsense).

What a complete and utter tool that guy has become.

(or maybe he was just always that way)
wilmwolf
I continue to be amazed at how the golf media is completely incapable of just ignoring anything LIV related. My Twitter timeline is full of golf guys crying about it non-stop. I honestly wouldn't know anything about it if they weren't constantly talking it. I know the Internet has lead people to believe otherwise, but if you hate something and don't want it to succeed, the best thing to do is ignore it. But much like with message board trolls, people just can't help but respond. It's actually kinda fascinating.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

I continue to be amazed at how the golf media is completely incapable of just ignoring anything LIV related. My Twitter timeline is full of golf guys crying about it non-stop. I honestly wouldn't know anything about it if they weren't constantly talking it. I know the Internet has lead people to believe otherwise, but if you hate something and don't want it to succeed, the best thing to do is ignore it. But much like with message board trolls, people just can't help but respond. It's actually kinda fascinating.

It's been fascinating to watch how they have done this (the golf media). They disdain it, which is fair, but every day, bring it up.
Clearly, doing so drives a lot more hits than talking about Hideki Matsuyama and Patrick Cantlay leading PGA tournaments
TheStorm
I've actually never even watched one stroke of a liv event... and I don't feel like I'm missing anything out of my life if I never do. No matter whose name it is.
wilmwolf
Found irony in Rory gushing about how much he loves Dubai as the euros finished their event there, as though the UAE doesn't have some of the same human rights issues that the Saudis do. Still my biggest problem with the golf media reaction to LIV. I don't care at all about the tour, but the hypocrisy over the involvement of SA while nothing is mentioned of the PGA and Euro involvement with other middle eastern countries, China, etc. is just dumb. Just say you don't like Norman or Mickelson and that the tour is dumb, spare me the pearl clutching.
Marco
LIV golfers,traitors!!
Wolfer79
LIV Golf officially signs multi-year deal with CW Network
The CW will carry Saturday and Sunday coverage of 14 LIV Golf events in 2023, and it will also stream Friday coverage of those events.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nexstar/liv-golf-deal-cw-network.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
TheStorm
Wolfer79 said:

The CW will carry Saturday and Sunday coverage of 14 LIV Golf events in 2023, and it will also stream Friday coverage of those events.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nexstar/liv-golf-deal-cw-network.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
*yawn*
Wolfer79
TheStorm said:

Wolfer79 said:

*yawn*

better, worse, or same ratings as if on Bally Sports?
Wolfer79
International LIV Golf events will be tape delayed on The CW, all Friday rounds will air exclusively on The CW app

https://awfulannouncing.com/golf/international-liv-golf-events-will-be-tape-delayed-on-the-cw-all-friday-rounds-will-air-exclusively-on-the-cw-app.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Packchem91
This week's Honda Classic seems to be a victim of the LIV and then the PGA response to the LIV. It's always been a pretty well-attended event by players, but this week's field is terrible. Highest ranked player is Sunjae Im at like 18th.

Several of the Euro names who usually show up are now on LIV, and all the top players on PGA played at the now elevated ($$$) tournaments in PHX and LA the last two weeks and will play Bay Hill and the TPC in the next two weeks.....making this tournament almost irrelevant now. At least to the name guys.

Will assume a number of the traditional tournaments that are no longer higher paying ones will get lesser fields going forward, especially if they are next to high profile ones
Packchem91
PGA making more changes to directly address risk from LIV. Not sure what I think about this yet. I'm not a big fan of the reduced field events

wilmwolf
The tour is sure acting as though they feel threatened by LIV, even though there's been no evidence that they should be. They've even created a series of team golf events, even though the team aspect of LIV has been roundly mocked by all the tour talking heads (not undeservedly, since it's pretty silly). I still haven't watched anything from LIV and still don't really have a desire to, but the reactions of the PGA tour and some of their players and talking heads regarding this issue continues to be hypocritical and fascinating.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

The tour is sure acting as though they feel threatened by LIV, even though there's been no evidence that they should be. They've even created a series of team golf events, even though the team aspect of LIV has been roundly mocked by all the tour talking heads (not undeservedly, since it's pretty silly). I still haven't watched anything from LIV and still don't really have a desire to, but the reactions of the PGA tour and some of their players and talking heads regarding this issue continues to be hypocritical and fascinating.

No doubt. I'm sure they'd couch it as "we are listening to the players", but that just confirms they had no interest to do that until after LIV.

And I have yet to watch LIV either, amd have no interest to do so

I just always like the full field events when you could get some underdog to compete like this past weekend and this seems to limit taht
DrummerboyWolf
Stacked leaderboard after the opening round in Singapore.

Taylor Gooch won in Adelaide, Australia after opening with 62 and 62 after the first two rounds. He had a 10 shot lead and almost gave it away but held on for the win. The crowds down under were amazing and they had one par 3 set up like the Waste Management 16th and Chase Koepka got an ace and it was pandemonium.

https://www.livgolf.com/news/the-ace-at-12-a-crazy-experience-for-chase-koepka-smash-gc

Gooch stays hot with an opening round 64 to lead at -7. Right behind him at -6 are Brooks Koepka, Sergio Garcia, Cam Smith, Bryson DeChambeau and Cameron Tringale. 2 shots back at -5 are Phil Mickelson and Louie Oosthuizen. Patrick Reed and Charl Schwartzel are at -4 with a couple of others. DJ finished at -2. He looks to be just a little off but I think he will be playing better soon.

Gooch was paired with Cam and Phil and they all played well. The event is being held at Sentosa Golf Club where Sergio won the Singapore Open at least once. Mickelson played in that tournament 6 or so times and had some high finishes too.

As mentioned above, the PGA Tour had to respond and that is why they made all the changes. Golfers on both tours are benefitting now and it never would have happened if Phil and the others did not join LIV. You may not like it and that is fine. Now even the lower level guys will still make some guaranteed money. Used to be that if you missed the cut, you got no money at all and may have spent $3-10,000 on expenses for that week.

I have not watched any PGA sponsored event in over 14 months and will not watch until the guys with lifetime rights to play(Phil and DJ) and others who had won are reinstated with full privileges. The Majors want the best fields and they have shown that by inviting everybody. USGA did screw Gooch by changing the rules after the fact, but hopefully he will get into the PGA and the U. S. Open because he is playing very well right now. He may end up having to qualify for the U. S. Open.

Would love to see Brooks, Phil, and DJ get enough Ryder Cup points to be in the top 12. Unlikely they get in the top 6 because they won't have enough points because of no PGA money, but it would just warm my heart for them to have to be considered. If they do really well in the Final 3 majors then they might have a chance.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
TheStorm
I was wondering what in the world would have brought this thread back to the top...
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I was wondering what in the world would have brought this thread back to the top...

Now Don't upset those 2,500 US CW viewers, Storm.
wilmwolf
I did see a highlight of the hole in one from the stadium type par 3 they had setup last week That was pretty cool.
caryking
A lot of big names on the LIV tour…
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
caryking said:

A lot of big names on the LIV tour…
Going into the final round tomorrow with Sergio and Taylor Gooch tied for the lead at -13. Brooks Koepka is one shot back. Cam Smith, Cameron Tringale, and Scott Vincent, who shot a 62 today are two shots back. Mickelson is 3 shots back at -10 after shooting another 66. His round could have been way lower. He was 5 under after 5, including an eagle from about 120 yards or so on a par 5. He was burning edges the whole round.

Conditions are very hot. Temperatures near or over 100 degrees F with tons of humidity. Should be another shootout tomorrow. Some really good golf being played.
DrummerboyWolf
Here is a story about the stacked leaderboard. Also a video of Mickelson's hole out for eagle.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/leaderboard-liv-golf-singapore-remains-112427237.html
caryking
I don't follow LIV or the golf media…. Does anyone even cover LIV? Would LIV get a bigger audience if the coverage is there?

Joe Biden
DrummerboyWolf
caryking said:

I don't follow LIV or the golf media…. Does anyone even cover LIV? Would LIV get a bigger audience if the coverage is there?
A lot of the print media has been very biased against LIV because of the "Saudi" connections, but I am starting to see more articles referenced online. The Golf Channel was not giving LIV a lot of positive coverage until Koepka was leading at Augusta. When Phil went low on Sunday they had to cover that too. Of course I have not watched them much in the last 15 months and only Live at the Masters so I could be wrong about that. Last week in Australia the course was packed with fans. Decent showing in Singapore, but it's so freaking hot I know I would not be sitting in that heat but the locals are used to it.

Yes the fields are smaller but there is still high quality golf being played by some of the best players in the world. It's a shotgun start so everybody plays in the same weather no matter what. Guys are able to wear shorts and they are loving it. Except Patrick Reed who always wears long pants. It's different but in the end it still golf. PGA has been resistant to change and that is why they lost a lot of the top players, but now they have had to change. I imagine at sometime there will be a truce and the other players will be welcomed back, but we will see.
wilmwolf
The weird thing about golf media's coverage of LIV has been, and I've said this a few times, that they aren't smart enough to understand that writing negative articles, tweeting about how much they hate it, making fun of it, etc. is still... covering LIV. If they want it to fail, they should just ignore it, like the network broadcast crews have mostly done, but people just aren't capable of that in the social media age.
caryking
wilmwolf80 said:

The weird thing about golf media's coverage of LIV has been, and I've said this a few times, that they aren't smart enough to understand that writing negative articles, tweeting about how much they hate it, making fun of it, etc. is still... covering LIV. If they want it to fail, they should just ignore it, like the network broadcast crews have mostly done, but people just aren't capable of that in the social media age.
Isn't that really true for any type of coverage, whether sports, social, of political?

Joe Biden
TheStorm
To each their own, as they say...

I instead, enjoyed watching the World #1 shoot a 29/32 - 61 in Mexico yesterday, televised on a national US tv network and look forward to seeing him go head-to-head with the current leader, Tony Finau later today. Finau leads by 2. Rahm made up 4 shots yesterday.
DrummerboyWolf
Talor Gooch stays incredibly hot and wins for the 2nd week in a row. He beat Sergio Garcia in a one hole playoff with Brooks Koepka finishing one shot out of the playoff. Scott Vincent of Zimbabwe finished one shot behind Koepka. It was mainly those 4 the last 9 holes. Mickelson birdied 2 of his first 3 then had a double bogey which has been his main bugaboo lately. Cam Smith shot even par for the day. There was a weather delay with about 4 holes to play, but they were able to finish it off.

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/golf/gooch-claims-backtoback-liv-golf-titles-with-singapore-win

Next tournament is in Tulsa, Oklahoma in two weeks. Gooch went to Oklahoma State and I believe he is from that area too. Should be exciting for him. He has won 8 million the past two weeks and since his team won the team title in Singapore, he gets another $750,000. Gooch has also received his invitation to the PGA.
gtman49
caryking said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Isn't that really true for any type of coverage, whether sports, social, of political?
All about clicks my dudes.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I instead, enjoyed watching the World #1 shoot a 29/32 - 61 in Mexico yesterday, televised on a national US tv network and look forward to seeing him go head-to-head with the current leader, Tony Finau later today. Finau leads by 2. Rahm made up 4 shots yesterday.

That was fun to watch. Rahm rolled several long putts but then missed two relatively short birdie putts late and parred the short par5 18.
59 was certainly in his grasp

And yet Finau kept his lead - hope he pulls it off today

Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Agreed, though I think they've begun to back down on that some**. I think the golf Twitter mafia media have to look busy every day even when no golf is being played, amd so fill the void with whines about LIV. The broadcast crews don't have nearly as much time and have live action to cover.

**I think it's slowed down, but it could be one of the benefits of the new Twitter is that I can now just read the people I follow and not all the suggested folks based on them. I follow like two golf reporters, but seems like I was seeing tweets from 20 of them before this adjustment
TheStorm
Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

That was fun to watch. Rahm rolled several long putts but then missed two relatively short birdie putts late and parred the short par5 18.

Yep. I started watching it just as Rahm was playing #9... and IIRC he cut it to 2 behind initially there, and Finau was able to keep it.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Packchem91 said:

TheStorm said:

Yep. I started watching it just as Rahm was playing #9... and IIRC he cut it to 2 behind initially there, and Finau was able to keep it.

He actually tied him at -15, but then Finau picked up several late
Packchem91
Went to the Wells with my sons on Friday.
Huge crowds there - if you ever plan to go to one, go early. We got there at 7am, and most of the guys we were interested in seeing were going off on the back in the morning wave. So we were able to get real up close to them on the back 9

By late morning, place was packed.

When you walk the course, it's mind boggling that a guy could go -20.

Also, feel for the members - they shut the course down today so Johnny Harris can have the greens, bunkers and tee boxes rebuilt for the '25 PGA
TheStorm
Third time in what? The last 7 years that he's shut it down for a partial rebuild?
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

Third time in what? The last 7 years that he's shut it down for a partial rebuild?

Sounds about right. They made changes to the first several holes before the Presidents Cup and I seem to recall did the greens another time not so long ago

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.