PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,659 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DrummerboyWolf said:

Steve Videtich said:

Who's televising it?
You can watch on youtube, Facebook, and Livgolf.com. Not sure if you have to subscribe or not on any of those platforms. They start at 9 am EDT or 2pm BST(British Summer Time) and it will be a shotgun start so everybody tees off at the same time.
Let me guess...
Packchem91
caryking said:

The golf league appears to be the USFL of golf...
Just backed with an unending source of $$$
Packchem91
So Dechambeau and Reed are now going to play? No one will miss Reed. But as many detractors as Dechambeau has, he certainly draws in the folks who just want to see a guy swing as hard as he can.

Bell Tower Grey
The Saudis are capitalizing on free enterprise by paying outrageus $um$ to those willing to play in their new league. The golfers aren't doing anything that a lot of average joes wouldn't do - taking advantage of a great financial opportunity, regardless of how tainted the money might be. Let your conscience be your guide.

I'm a Mickelson fan; I hope he's able to pull quite a few of the name guys with him.
mdreid
hopefully this causes the PGA Tour to re-assess their tournaments, watching these guys cruise to -20 or lower every week is just boring
jadawson
Maybe you can argue that the PGA has dug their own grave a bit with their resistance to change. But i have to say i feel a bit bad for them. How are you supposed to compete with a league that has far more money than you do and doesnt care about making a profit on top of it. They can hand out silly money until the end of time (or oil) and the PGA just cant match it
Packchem91
jadawson said:

Maybe you can argue that the PGA has dug their own grave a bit with their resistance to change. But i have to say i feel a bit bad for them. How are you supposed to compete with a league that has far more money than you do and doesnt care about making a profit on top of it. They can hand out silly money until the end of time (or oil) and the PGA just cant match it
Yeah, I'm not sure its a fair competition. But the more big names that jump over (and DJ, Phil, ****** and Reed are big names), it does sting. The PGA has to hope the golf is so bad the Saudis decide to invest more in EPL or F1 instead
Bell Tower Grey
With you having said that, I wish they'd help nascar out some. Certainly couldn't be much worse than it has been the last several years.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

With you having said that, I wish they'd help nascar out some. Certainly couldn't be much worse than it has been the last several years.
NASCAR is going to need some fresh blood ownership soon. As someone pointed out on the NASCAR thread the other day, all the owners have been doing it a long time, but are also all 70+
SportManagementEngineer
Turns out that a golf broadcast is more enjoyable without sponsors or commercials. I like the shotgun start, too.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
DrummerboyWolf
TheStorm said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Steve Videtich said:

Who's televising it?
You can watch on youtube, Facebook, and Livgolf.com. Not sure if you have to subscribe or not on any of those platforms. They start at 9 am EDT or 2pm BST(British Summer Time) and it will be a shotgun start so everybody tees off at the same time.
Let me guess...
Broadcasting free on LIVgolf.com

https://www.livgolf.com/watch
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
TheStorm
I will be just fine in watching the PGA Tour with or without any one individual... I still remember the panic over "who will be able to fill the void" after the string of Tiger Woods travails following the 2008 US Open injury (going on 14 years ago already now).

And yet somehow the game of golf (and the PGA Tour) survived and continued to flourish...

No one individual will ever be bigger than the game itself.
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

TheStorm said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Steve Videtich said:

Who's televising it?
Let me guess...
Broadcasting free on LIVgolf.com

https://www.livgolf.com/watch
Did a middle schooler design that leaderboard? That is atrocious...
TheStorm
I'll probably watch this new tour about as much as I watched the European Tour back in the day when all the top Euros stayed home except for the majors...

Which was exactly none.
caryking
I just did a quick look. Phil isn't wearing any Workday sponsored clothing.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

I just did a quick look. Phil isn't wearing any Workday sponsored clothing.
Apparently, he had on a vest with a blacked out Augusta logo.....lol. Then he switched vests. Drama.
Packchem91
TheStorm said:

I'll probably watch this new tour about as much as I watched the European Tour back in the day when all the top Euros stayed home except for the majors...

Which was exactly none.
I think that will be the common response. Some may watch initially for the drama, but watching real small fields with onlhy a couple of named golfers is not going to ,catch on.
Packchem91
So the PGA Tour did officially suspend all the members who played LIV. And wont allow those who resigned to play on exemptions, etc.
Will be interesting to watch this over time....like, how does Dechambeau appeal to come back (surely the PGA tour would want him back??)
Tootie4Pack
This is what happens when you walk away from the Establishment and join the NWO….the
New World Order.

gopack1979
I enjoyed following it today. The shotgun start is nice and there was constant action.
jadawson

Think accounting for all sites the viewership was up around 110k.

Anybody know what non major pga events average on thursday mornings specifically? So pga live and espn+
FlossyDFlynt
Ill be real curious to see if those numbers continue. I think there was a ton of curiosity for this one, will be interesting to see if it holds
DrummerboyWolf
PGA Tour has suspended indefinitely all of those who participated and have been or were members. Now the fun begins and the lawyers will be getting involved and getting richer.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2022/06/09/pga-tour-commissioner-jay-monahan-responds-players-competing-without-proper-releases.html
DrummerboyWolf
FlossyDFlynt said:

Ill be real curious to see if those numbers continue. I think there was a ton of curiosity for this one, will be interesting to see if it holds
Probably won't get a real feel for that until there is a tournament in the USA on the same time.

I have had PGA tour live the last couple years and my subscription renewed in January. I have not watched one bit of since Mickelson went on hiatus, and probably won't watch any going forward unless Phil is allowed to play by an injunction. When Phil plays in a tournament, there is no doubt that the numbers are higher for PGA Tour Live and if he is in contention, for the regular broadcasts too. Tiger plays and they go way up, but it doesn't look like he is going to be able to play much.

Those two have carried golf for the last 25 years on TV and there is no doubting that. Right now, I don't see anybody who can command the ratings like those two did and like Arnold Palmer did in the early 60's. PGA tour will survive, but DeChambeau leaving was one of their bigger draws too. It will be interesting.
DrummerboyWolf
And let me add one thing. I watched most of the Masters, but have not watched any other PGA Tour event. Did not watch one moment of the PGA Championship. There are probably more like me, but I don't know that for a fact, but if the PGA Tour is successful in denying Phil and the others the right to play, one that Phil has earned as a lifetime member, then I won't be watching the PGA Tour.
wilmwolf
I think that professional golf is in some ways a victim of its own success, and that's also ultimately why this venture probably will fall. It's a watered down product. The tour season is damn near all year, and the schedule is littered with tournaments that are very hard to care about.

The tour is full of golfing robots. There is very little personality and individuality among the top guys. Hell, half the guys look like they are out there on thorazine, and barely crack a smile when they run in a fifty footer for eagle. Watching guys hit driver-wedge on every hole at some non-descript layout to shoot -22 and win a million bucks and thank their "team" just has lost its luster for me as a fan.

All the while, TV coverage somehow keeps getting worse. There's a hundred guys on the course, and yet somehow we only manage to see five shots from the same five guys between commercials? Somehow the euros manage to broadcast sporting events without constant commercial interruption and still make a ton of money, but we get peppered with erectile dysfunction ads seven times an hour. And they want me to subscribe to an extra service just to see actual golf get played? GTFO

The sport needs characters, and it needs villains. It needs events with different formats, at courses that aren't just 7500 yards worth of airport runway speed fairways. It needs announcers who will shut up and networks that will show shots instead of a guy lining up the line on his ball for a minute and a half. Maybe this new thing will bring about some changes, maybe it won't, but as a fan, my interest in the sport that I love to play is at an all time low

Rant over.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
DrummerboyWolf said:

And let me add one thing. I watched most of the Masters, but have not watched any other PGA Tour event. Did not watch one moment of the PGA Championship. There are probably more like me, but I don't know that for a fact, but if the PGA Tour is successful in denying Phil and the others the right to play, one that Phil has earned as a lifetime member, then I won't be watching the PGA Tour.
So, in other words, you bailed out (other than for "most" of The Masters) right after Phil stuck his foot in his mouth way back in February?

Wow. I'm actually impressed with your loyalty, devotion, or however one should term it...

But you watched this online today, right?
DrummerboyWolf
TheStorm said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

So, in other words, you bailed out (other than for "most" of The Masters) right after Phil stuck his foot in his mouth way back in February?

Wow. I'm actually impressed with your loyalty, devotion, or however one should term it...

I did not get to a chance to watch much today because I had business calls. I will try to watch tomorrow but work may get in the way and then most likely will watch some Saturday but I do have something scheduled about the time they will tee off.

Yes I watched most of the Masters because it's the Masters and I have been there once. Scottie Scheiffler was magnificent.

Well Phil may have been betrayed by the author of his unauthorized biography. Phil says his comments were off the record.
jadawson
wilmwolf80 said:

I think that professional golf is in some ways a victim of its own success, and that's also ultimately why this venture probably will fall. It's a watered down product. The tour season is damn near all year, and the schedule is littered with tournaments that are very hard to care about.

The tour is full of golfing robots. There is very little personality and individuality among the top guys. Hell, half the guys look like they are out there on thorazine, and barely crack a smile when they run in a fifty footer for eagle. Watching guys hit driver-wedge on every hole at some non-descript layout to shoot -22 and win a million bucks and thank their "team" just has lost its luster for me as a fan.

All the while, TV coverage somehow keeps getting worse. There's a hundred guys on the course, and yet somehow we only manage to see five shots from the same five guys between commercials? Somehow the euros manage to broadcast sporting events without constant commercial interruption and still make a ton of money, but we get peppered with erectile dysfunction ads seven times an hour. And they want me to subscribe to an extra service just to see actual golf get played? GTFO

The sport needs characters, and it needs villains. It needs events with different formats, at courses that aren't just 7500 yards worth of airport runway speed fairways. It needs announcers who will shut up and networks that will show shots instead of a guy lining up the line on his ball for a minute and a half. Maybe this new thing will bring about some changes, maybe it won't, but as a fan, my interest in the sport that I love to play is at an all time low

Rant over.

Definitely agree about the length of the season. At this point i basically only watch Ryder Cup, majors, fedex playoffs and maybe 2-3 other tourneys a year. Other than that ill only check up on the leaderboard and maybe tune in on sunday afternoon if the leaderboard is tight and has big names.

HARD agree on the personality aspect. Even though i didn't like him personally i loved rooting against Dechambeau. He had a personality and everyone had an opinion on him. The current stars on the pga tour are the robots on the course and in interviews outside of possibly Justin Thomas. Scheffler, Spieth, Rory, Zalatoris, Morikawa....some very bland individuals. There's a still a few personalities out there like Kisner, Shane Lowry etc., but the tv coverage rarely shows them unless they are in a featured group or close on sunday. One of the reasons i want them to let Phil back in is so I can root against him.

TheStorm
DrummerboyWolf said:

TheStorm said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

I did not get to a chance to watch much today because I had business calls. I will try to watch tomorrow but work may get in the way and then most likely will watch some Saturday but I do have something scheduled about the time they will tee off.

Yes I watched most of the Masters because it's the Masters and I have been there once. Scottie Scheiffler was magnificent.

Well Phil may have been betrayed by the author of his unauthorized biography. Phil says his comments were off the record.
Nah man... like I said, one definitely has to respect your loyalty. Hoping that in the end that it works out in the best interests of golf as a whole and for the entirety of the individuals as a collective.
Bell Tower Grey
Characters, yes. Trevino, Chi Chi, Daly in his prime, etc. Golfers have gone the way of the nascar robots - all pretty boys succumbing to the sponsors on behalf of the almight dollar.

I miss the days of side betting on shots and sneaking drinks on the course during matches, just like I miss the bad asses of nascar that would try to whip a driver and his pit crew (if necessary) in order to right some wrong that had happened to them.
BreakPoint
One thing I like about golf is that there is very little subjectivity in the rules. Referees aren't involved in every shot. I'm done with basketball - done. I have no idea what a foul is anymore. I'm almost done with football. Holding, interference calls - ridiculous. Baseball? Wont watch again until balls and strikes are called electronically. At least golf and tennis are largely clear of that.

As for the LIV vs PGA, the split won't survive unless the Saudi's truly have no interest in at least breaking even. If they just want to burn money forever for the sake of image, then who knows. But if money matters, it won't survive - no split really ever has. Some of the players will make a mint in the short term, then will beg for forgiveness, and the PGA will let them in.
caryking
Somebody, tell me the difference between: PGA, Nascar, and the NCAA.

They represent different. bodies; however, they are all about the same, in my eyes.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
caryking said:

They represent different. bodies; however, they are all about the same, in my eyes.
huh? Are you referring to how they are managed?

Bell Tower Grey
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

huh? Are you referring to how they are managed?

Not quite sure myself what you're asking for. I will say the common denominator that brought all of them down so far is television, and the money it has brought them. They all sacrificed their souls for the love of television money.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.