PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,647 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Packchem91
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good for Cam Smith. I had to leave when they were around 10 or 11. 64 in the Final Round after the disaster he had at the one hole yesterday. He recovered very nicely.

The Rory drought continues. I have not been a big fan of his since he shot his mouth off at the Masters in 2018 and said Patrick Reed had all the pressure on him after the 3rd round. How did that work out for you Rory? He has a boatload of talent, but if he never wins another major it won't bother me a bit. He probably will win at least one more, but each year that passes it's going to be harder and harder.

Got to give a tip of the hat to Cam Young. Another top 3 in a Major in what I believe is his rookie year on Tour. He bogeyed his first and ninth holes, but played really well the rest of the way. Well done.

CAM SMITH: CHAMPION GOLFER OF THE YEAR!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
David Feherty reportedly leaving NBC for LIV Golf https://t.co/gye1QEZj6r https://t.co/wGwnfo2RQC
packwest
I've seen rumors that Cam Smith inked a deal with LIV prior to the Open...going to be a gut punch if he leaves.
jadawson
packwest said:

I've seen rumors that Cam Smith inked a deal with LIV prior to the Open...going to be a gut punch if he leaves.
these next few months are where the **** is going to hit the fan. Majors are done, after the fed ex playoffs i expect to see quite a few names move.

The worst part is that it won't be everyone. If they all moved to LIV id just give LIV a chance even though i hate the format. but instead neither tour is going to be full of top tier players and the competition on each is going to suffer as a result. The only people that lose here are the fans.
DrummerboyWolf
packwest said:

Also talk of Adam Scott and Mark Leishman going too. Stenson is meeting with the DP World Tour tomorrow about his Ryder Cup Captaincy. Lots of talk of him going to LIV too and if that happens he will not be the Ryder Cup Captain next year.
wilmwolf
Smith leaving would certainly be interesting. Narrative so far is that it's only washed up guys at the end of their careers making a cash grab, the reigning open champion certainly wouldn't fit that bill. Still not compelling to me personally to watch it, but the soap opera that is golf media continues to be interesting.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
caryking
in an odd way, this whole LIV/PGA things reminds me of what's going on with College Football...

People/Universities chasing the money
Fans not knowing what the end product is going to like
The end of something (PGA/ACC)

Sports are really turning into a real **** show...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Smith leaving would certainly be interesting. Narrative so far is that it's only washed up guys at the end of their careers making a cash grab, the reigning open champion certainly wouldn't fit that bill. Still not compelling to me personally to watch it, but the soap opera that is golf media continues to be interesting.
Was reading yesterday where the condensed schedule is particularly appealing to international players, who'd prefer not ot have to play so many tournaments half-way across the world in the US in order to maintain status.
Packchem91
caryking said:

in an odd way, this whole LIV/PGA things reminds me of what's going on with College Football...

No different than any other business model. We've seen Amazon completely destroy the brick-n-mortar model most of us grew up living with. We likely all went to malls and such, and now those things are dying out all over the place.

Granted, I don't miss going to malls....I will miss seeing Cam Smith tee it up against JT and the other young guns on the PGA tour.
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

No different than any other business model. We've seen Amazon completely destroy the brick-n-mortar model most of us grew up living with. We likely all went to malls and such, and now those things are dying out all over the place.

Granted, I don't miss going to malls....I will miss seeing Cam Smith tee it up against JT and the other young guns on the PGA tour.

I get it; however, at the same time, its truly disappointing.

Regarding Malls, Cary Village Mall is being torn down. That's a place I spent a lot of time, in my youth. I haven't been it in years; however, at the same time, it's disappointing to see it go.

Joe Biden
wilmwolf
Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Was reading yesterday where the condensed schedule is particularly appealing to international players, who'd prefer not ot have to play so many tournaments half-way across the world in the US in order to maintain status.

Would think it would be easier in general for the euros to jump ship. Their prize money has increased a lot over the last few decades but still lags a bit behind the PGA for many events. As you mentioned, most of them have to do a lot of traveling, which I'm sure wears on you. Also, many of them already have relationships or sponsorships with middle Eastern countries, so there may be less backlash there. I still think it will crash and burn, but it's interesting to see it play out.
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Regarding Malls, Cary Village Mall is being torn down. That's a place I spent a lot of time, in my youth. I haven't been it in years; however, at the same time, it's disappointing to see it go.
Yeah, I still grieve for the 8 team ACC, or even the one with just FSU added.

Charlotte's South Park Mall is still going strong....but the other ones, I don't want to visit!!
caryking
Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Yeah, I still grieve for the 8 team ACC, or even the one with just FSU added.

Charlotte's South Park Mall is still going strong....but the other ones, I don't want to visit!!
One has to ask…. Would an ACC with the following teams bring in enough money to compete? Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, UNC, NCSU, UVA, VT. Think about it, the total package wouldn't have to be huge; however, a bigger piece of a smaller pie…

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
Charles Barkley two weeks ago: "If someone gave me $200 million, I'd kill a relative."

Tomorrow, he meets with LIV golf and his "Inside the NBA" future may be at stake.

https://t.co/FBaw3N7cAP
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

Packchem91 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Would think it would be easier in general for the euros to jump ship. Their prize money has increased a lot over the last few decades but still lags a bit behind the PGA for many events. As you mentioned, most of them have to do a lot of traveling, which I'm sure wears on you. Also, many of them already have relationships or sponsorships with middle Eastern countries, so there may be less backlash there. I still think it will crash and burn, but it's interesting to see it play out.
I think it will crash as well....and getting int'l players (other than Rory) probably doesn't move the needle for US viewership.
As Ive said since beginning,.....its more of an impact for those of us who want to see tournaments where the top 100+ players are playing against each other.

*One other thing I realized this weekend -- i hate Dechambeau, but i think he's one of thsoe guys fans will tune in to watch him crash and burn. I took joy at watching him struggle Saturday morning.
DrummerboyWolf
Very informative interview with Greg Norman by Tom D'Angelo of the Palm Beach Post. He says that more guys will be announced soon. He gets into the business side and Norman has gone from one of the best players in the world to a great businessman so he understands the business model. Shark Enterprises deals in many different ventures from wine, clothing, Australian Beef, golf course design and many other things that have been very successful.

Here is the interview and I will include a link to Greg Norman's Shark Enterprises and you can see for yourself what he has built and he is very confident of LIVGolf surviving.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-q-greg-normans-vision-203434761.html

https://shark.com
DrummerboyWolf
Henrik Stenson out as Ryder Cup Captain for Europe in 2023, so obviously he will be one of the new additions for LIV Golf. Some talk of Hidecki Matsuyama possibly joining too.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/henrik-stensons-tenure-european-ryder-cup-captain-brought-end
DrummerboyWolf
Jason Kokrak, Charles Howell III and Henrik Stenson are the three new additions for the LIV Golf tournament in New Jersey next week.

https://sports.yahoo.com/liv-golf-announces-jason-kokrak-194725736.html
TheStorm
DrummerboyWolf said:

Jason Kokrak, Charles Howell III and Henrik Stenson are the three new additions for the LIV Golf tournament in New Jersey next week.

https://sports.yahoo.com/liv-golf-announces-jason-kokrak-194725736.html
Oh, the horror!!!

How will the PGA Tour ever survive without Kokrak and Howell, III ?!?...

Don't blame Stenson from going from "not playing" to taking some free money though.
caryking
I'm still trying to understand this tour…

Teams are owned by a single person, with a 25% stake in the team.
Who are the owners of the teams, at this point?
Is the money being paid, for those that are team owners?
For those, that are team owners, are they receiving money for their tournament finishes?

I really haven't researched this, so, I'm still trying to figure this out…

Joe Biden
Wolfer79
This is just my initial story. I will have a lot more soon about Barkley's dinner with Norman, his views on the Saudi-led Turner and what is next in his broadcasting career.
For now: https://t.co/PIwPIuF5J4
DrummerboyWolf
PGA Tour is paying a law firm to lobby Congress about LIV Golf. The only side that is whining is the PGA side. They must be a little fearful of this up and coming league. The PGA has already been investigated by the Federal Trade Commission for being a monopoly back in the 90's.

I don't care one way or the other but I am all about freedom to choose and the PGA is limiting players' freedom to choose. Someone like Phil has earned a lifetime membership. Dustin Johnson would have earned one in the next year as he did not have 15 years on tour yet. They should be able to play where they want at anytime they want. We will see how it works out.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/07/22/report-pga-tour-lobby-liv-golf-capitol-hill/
Packchem91
Have been unable to watch today, but lets go Tony Finau! Looks like he'll still win, but his bogey on a par 5 18th hole with a multi-shot lead is an example of why he doesn't win more often.
But he is in the group of 3-4 golfers I pull for the most, so good to see him get one after a pretty rough year.
Wolfer79
Barkley on the DP Show: LIV offer would have to be "astronomical" for him to leave TNT and risk his commercial endorsements.

Barkley says his bosses at TNT have been "very quiet" and that he has had zero conversations with them about the LIV issue. Between that and the fact that LIV has not made an offer, he says everything is "really just speculation" right now.

Charles: if there is no LIV offer by Thursday, it's over.

Barkley tells Dan Patrick he's given LIV enough publicity for the week. If LIV doesn't make him an offer by Thursday night, he's done with LIV.

Wolfer79
Gary McCord in talks with LIV Golf for 2023 season https://t.co/igr5laouZm https://t.co/TSd0xRMtOR
DrummerboyWolf
Here is LIV Golf's welcome to David Feherty. Make sure you watch till the end.

https://twitter.com/LIVGolfInv?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1550544533758570496%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgolfweek.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F07%2F23%2Fliv-golf-phil-mickelson-gorillas%2F
TheStorm
Oh, No!?!?!

NOT Gary McCord!!!
jadawson
DrummerboyWolf said:

Here is LIV Golf's welcome to David Feherty. Make sure you watch till the end.

https://twitter.com/LIVGolfInv?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1550544533758570496%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgolfweek.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F07%2F23%2Fliv-golf-phil-mickelson-gorillas%2F

Phil seems a little off in this…
Wolfer79
Stat of the Day: 6 of the PGA Tour's top 15 biggest draws with U.S. sports fans have now joined LIV Golf:

2 Phil Mickelson
4 Bubba Watson
6 Sergio Garcia
7 Dustin Johnson
12 Brooks Koepka
14 Bryson DeChambeau

(via a September 2021 @MorningConsult survey) https://t.co/AfXffkduiR
jadawson
Wolfer79 said:

Stat of the Day: 6 of the PGA Tour's top 15 biggest draws with U.S. sports fans have now joined LIV Golf:

2 Phil Mickelson
4 Bubba Watson
6 Sergio Garcia
7 Dustin Johnson
12 Brooks Koepka
14 Bryson DeChambeau

This is wild to me. Never met a single person who loves watching Sergio or Justin rose or even Matt kuchar. Or bubba tbh
wilmwolf
To be fair, being a top draw doesn't necessarily mean people like you. It's very possible that people would tune in to watch some of those guys just to potentially see them fail.
jadawson
wilmwolf80 said:

To be fair, being a top draw doesn't necessarily mean people like you. It's very possible that people would tune in to watch some of those guys just to potentially see them fail.

Very true for guys like Bubba, Sergio, even Bryson. Justin Rose just baffles me. I cant imagine having a strong opinion either way on him. Hes just a guy i think of as having a pretty golf swing and im not upset when he wins
BBW12OG
Wolfer79 said:

2 Phil Mickelson
4 Bubba Watson
6 Sergio Garcia
7 Dustin Johnson
12 Brooks Koepka
14 Bryson DeChambeau

Wolfer as a well informed sports guy.... what is your opinion on Barkley? If he bails from TNT/NBA what credibility will that give the LIV?

He's the most popular sports caster in the game now regardless of sport. He could really bring in the fans I think with his commentary.

Traditional golf will change forever outside of the Majors. He can damn sure entertain the crowd and the TV audience. Would be "must watch TV" in my opinion.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Bell Tower Grey
BBW12OG said:

Wolfer79 said:

2 Phil Mickelson
4 Bubba Watson
6 Sergio Garcia
7 Dustin Johnson
12 Brooks Koepka
14 Bryson DeChambeau

Wolfer as a well informed sports guy.... what is your opinion on Barkley? If he bails from TNT/NBA what credibility will that give the LIV?

He's the most popular sports caster in the game now regardless of sport. He could really bring in the fans I think with his commentary.

Traditional golf will change forever outside of the Majors. He can damn sure entertain the crowd and the TV audience. Would be "must watch TV" in my opinion.
Without a doubt, he will say what he feels about the players and LIV. It doesn't seem to have stopped him before and I don't see it happening now regardless of how much he gets paid. Folks listen to him because he's not afraid to speak his mind. I respect that.
BBW12OG
Bell Tower Grey said:

BBW12OG said:

Wolfer79 said:

2 Phil Mickelson
4 Bubba Watson
6 Sergio Garcia
7 Dustin Johnson
12 Brooks Koepka
14 Bryson DeChambeau

Without a doubt, he will say what he feels about the players and LIV. It doesn't seem to have stopped him before and I don't see it happening now regardless of how much he gets paid. Folks listen to him because he's not afraid to speak his mind. I respect that.
Outside of the Majors.... how "entertaining" is golf for the random fan?

Throw in Chuck... and damn... it could be "must watch TV!"

Especially if like you said, he gets the green light on commentary! Imagine him and let's say, Charlie Sheen as a guest host. I'm watching that....
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.