baseball NCAAT Super Regional at Arkansas

105,345 Views | 1327 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
tau06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SportManagementEngineer said:

tau06 said:

SportManagementEngineer said:

Y'all are acting like Avent didn't run Rodon out there every chance he got. This is nothing new in college baseball.

Lol not even close to this level man
If Baseball-Reference is correct, Rodon threw 132 innings in 2013 the year we made it to Omaha. Kopps is at 72. I get the difference in starting and relieving but this is just not a new thing. I remember when Rodon was struggling in his pro career before his breakout year he's enjoying now, that many baseball pundits said his usage at State played a large role in his inability to stay healthy with the White Sox.

We can agree to disagree. It's really not even close though
TopsailWolf
Ha, I hear you. Head on Down Arrington Bridge rd and make a stop at Grady's for the best bbq in Wayne county.

If you live in Goldsboro stop at Terry's Tasty Shop right beside Wilbur's. My aunt serves up a legit hamburger/hotdog and good ice cream
BigLefty24
TopsailWolf said:

Ha, I hear you. Head on Down Arrington Bridge rd and make a stop at Grady's for the best bbq in Wayne county.

If you live in Goldsboro stop at Terry's Tasty Shop right beside Wilbur's. My aunt serves up a legit hamburger/hotdog and good ice cream
the only thing happening down Arrington Bridge Road is a likely gunshot wound or a hit and run from a drunk Mexican.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

FlockaWolf
Arkansas is talking down to other schools? What a world we live in.
BigLefty24
Kopps will pitch Friday, and he'll be available again Sunday (and probably Saturday for a short stint if they're facing elimination). The whole pitch count thing is way overblown IMO. The only questionable decision is pushing him out to 90 pitches on Monday with only a days rest after throwing 70 pitches on Saturday. But those are the decisions you make in a win or go home scenario.

He'll have four days of rest by Friday. I don't expect to see any signs of him being any less effective. Go take it from them.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

wilmwolf
Any fatigue will be offset by the adrenaline of the moment. Barring any actual inflammation or tightness or something, I don't expect them to do anything differently with him. And he may be great, but we've hit some really good pitchers this year. Just have to maintain a good approach. All it takes is one guy to figure him out.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
waxhaw
FlockaWolf said:

Arkansas is talking down to other schools? What a world we live in.
No doubt.do they play dueling banjos from deliverance for the seventh inning stretch?
Tootie4Pack
TopsailWolf said:

Grady's might be the very BBQ in the entire state. Simply put, it is outstanding ! Plus they are experts at cooking collards, cabbage , Lima beans....any veggie. And the sweet potato pie is also top notch.
JCooke93
No matter what happens This Weekend I am very proud of this team
TopsailWolf
Yes sir. I miss the days they served breakfast...the country ham biscuit was killer.
55Burgers
Tootie4Pack said:

TopsailWolf said:

Grady's might be the very BBQ in the entire state. Simply put, it is outstanding ! Plus they are experts at cooking collards, cabbage , Lima beans....any veggie. And the sweet potato pie is also top notch.

ask her if she has any ribs. they sell out quick. but they show is good.
njrosinski
Stonewall's and/or Ken's BBQ are my go-to bbq places in the goldsboro area!
kmb717
Vegas not giving State too much of a chance in this series, per Draftkings odds to win the series:

Arkansas: -670
State: +425

State is the second biggest underdog in the Supers (South Florida against Texas is the biggest).

Wolfer79
kmb717 said:

Vegas not giving State too much of a chance in this series, per Draftkings odds to win the series:

State is the second biggest underdog in the Supers (South Florida against Texas is the biggest).

you want to be THE MAN, you have to beat. THE MAN
AlleyPack
Dang. I might have to jump on that.
Low risk, high reward.
Pakbackr
Arkansas has arguably one of the best college stadiums we will ever play in. Hope the guys enjoy the opportunity!
kmb717
AlleyPack said:

Dang. I might have to jump on that.
Low risk, high reward.
I agree. I'd tend to think we have a better than 4:1 shot to win this series.
Trickynic1
JC I agree - WPN should be proud of this Team.
We get to watch 3 College World Series quality games. Hope we win, if not still Proud of our Team.
Wolfpack
Wolfer79 said:

kmb717 said:

you want to be THE MAN, you have to beat. THE MAN
I would rather have avoided THE MAN if Nebraska coulda kept it together.
gohogs14
EthanBarry said:

wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

Is Kopps available Friday? If so, probably only for a couple innings max. Wicklander probably goes Saturday, can State make them burn both in the same game? That would be ideal

I read on one of the Arkansas fan sites that they expect Wicklander to start Fri (finished by Kopps)
That's interesting because I believe he's pitched on Saturday all year. Probably the right move though
He's actually been the Friday starter almost all year but pitched last Saturday because Arkansas didn't want to burn him against NJIT.

Lael Lockhart is probably the #2 starter now, he was starting on Sundays but we lost our #2 starter Peyton Pallette a few weeks ago to an injury. Game #3 will probably be either Jaxon Wiggins or Caleb Bolden but mostly a bullpen game since neither one typically goes longer than 4 innings.

Our formula most of the year has been Wicklander for 6-7 innings on Friday followed by Kopps for 3, then Saturday throw out all sorts of arms and let Kopps rest, and on Sunday have the starter go for 5-6 then give it to Kopps again to finish.

This has led to us winning a lot of Friday and Sunday games and taking 2/3 which is a big reason we haven't lost a series all year, but also we tend to lose the game that Kopps doesn't pitch in so we rarely swept anyone except for Florida and Mississippi State. Our bullpen outside of Kopps has moments when they're great and moments when they're terrible - just inconsistency from several guys makes it hard to trust them in postseason play.
Wolfer79
TopsailWolf
Stonewalls is good too.
wolfpack1437
Nice to see an Ark fan here. Welcome
mdreid
series should be good as long as we dont get umps like these..lol

JCooke93
Same here
pack4life11
gohogs14 said:

EthanBarry said:

wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

Is Kopps available Friday? If so, probably only for a couple innings max. Wicklander probably goes Saturday, can State make them burn both in the same game? That would be ideal

I read on one of the Arkansas fan sites that they expect Wicklander to start Fri (finished by Kopps)
That's interesting because I believe he's pitched on Saturday all year. Probably the right move though
He's actually been the Friday starter almost all year but pitched last Saturday because Arkansas didn't want to burn him against NJIT.

Lael Lockhart is probably the #2 starter now, he was starting on Sundays but we lost our #2 starter Peyton Pallette a few weeks ago to an injury. Game #3 will probably be either Jaxon Wiggins or Caleb Bolden but mostly a bullpen game since neither one typically goes longer than 4 innings.

Our formula most of the year has been Wicklander for 6-7 innings on Friday followed by Kopps for 3, then Saturday throw out all sorts of arms and let Kopps rest, and on Sunday have the starter go for 5-6 then give it to Kopps again to finish.

This has led to us winning a lot of Friday and Sunday games and taking 2/3 which is a big reason we haven't lost a series all year, but also we tend to lose the game that Kopps doesn't pitch in so we rarely swept anyone except for Florida and Mississippi State. Our bullpen outside of Kopps has moments when they're great and moments when they're terrible - just inconsistency from several guys makes it hard to trust them in postseason play.

Do you play banjo music? Lol jkwelcome to the boards. Good to have someone give an overview from the opposing team.
BigLefty24
Arkansas fans: "Did you learn anything about the Pack while you were on their boards?"

GoHogs14: "Yea, they really like BBQ too. And evidently there's some guy named Grady that cooks some mean Q, but if you go down that way, you might get shot or involved in a hit and run with a Mexican"

Arkansas fans: "Damn, this series might be tougher than we thought"/
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

wolfpack1437
gohogs14 said:

EthanBarry said:

wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

How are most of your runs generated? Stringing together hits, HR'S, walks and HR's, walks and timely hits, manufacturing runs with steals, etc?
Pigscuits
Looking forward to the series. A little bit different for me as I am a full on Hog fan growing up in Fayetteville but lived a few years in Raleigh. Fayetteville is home, but I loved Raleigh and Clayton as well. We win with great arms, working pitchers hard and the long ball. These kids have a tough mentality that refuses to lose as our biggest strength. My 2 thoughts of this series outcome is if our bats come back and how the wolfpack can play in this environment. I saw how good the Pack has been on the road, but this is going to be a different sort of road game for sure. The hogpen is going to try to rattle your left and center fielder, but it sounds like you have studs in those positions. We should definitely stop the banjo and being too country bullcrappery as we are more similar than different in culture. Buckle up because this should be great for both programs!
Wolfpack
Welcome Arkansas fans! Nice to have you.

Let's cut through the crap: what are your genuine thoughts on Kopps usage?
Wolfer79
For the first time since 2013, @NCStateBaseball is playing in a Super Regional, but No. 1 Arkansas will be a very tough opponent for the red-hot Wolfpack.

Game 1: Friday 6 p.m.
Game 2: Saturday 3 p.m.
Game 3 (If needed): Sunday 6 p.m.
@rachelmichele15
https://t.co/sn17aMKzMB
metcalfmafia
Pigscuits said:

Looking forward to the series. A little bit different for me as I am a full on Hog fan growing up in Fayetteville but lived a few years in Raleigh. Fayetteville is home, but I loved Raleigh and Clayton as well. We win with great arms, working pitchers hard and the long ball. These kids have a tough mentality that refuses to lose as our biggest strength. My 2 thoughts of this series outcome is if our bats come back and how the wolfpack can play in this environment. I saw how good the Pack has been on the road, but this is going to be a different sort of road game for sure. The hogpen is going to try to rattle your left and center fielder, but it sounds like you have studs in those positions. We should definitely stop the banjo and being too country bullcrappery as we are more similar than different in culture. Buckle up because this should be great for both programs!
The the...hogpen? *** is that?
PigNaBlanket
The HogPen is the area in left to left center field that is general admission. It will have several thousand fans in it. You can bring in chairs, coolers, and grills. It's a massive tailgate inside the stadium.

You can see it in left field in this picture
PigNaBlanket
Wolfpack said:

Welcome Arkansas fans! Nice to have you.

Let's cut through the crap: what are your genuine thoughts on Kopps usage?
I've been a bit concerned about it, but there are some different factors in play with Kopps than your normal college pitcher.

1) He's 24 years old, he is physically more mature
2) He has had TJ surgery already
3) The pitches he throws are not high-stress pitches on the arm. While he does have a 90-93mph fastball, he doesn't throw it much.
4) He drinks a lot of beet juice (he has said has helped him recover)

During the 3rd regional game against Nebraska, you could see him actually getting strong the deeper into the game he went.

Watch DVH's post-game presser where he said the following:

"But obviously what a clutch performance by Kevin Kopps," Van Horn said. "I mean he just kept fighting for us. I felt like he got better as the game went on. Coach would talk to him pretty much every inning, down in the tunnel they would discuss it. We thought we'd let him go to the seventh. He wouldn't let us take him out. He had a quick inning. He comes back in the eighth and we were like, 'OK, we're going to take him out' and we would probably bring (Patrick) Wicklander in for the ninth. We scored runs and Kevin said, 'I'm going back out.' And what an incredible, incredible college pitcher."

Kopps threw 185 pitches during the Fayetteville Regional.

"It's pretty incredible," Van Horn said. "I did a little research on some of this stuff. I looked at Florida's reliever in '18 that had 37 appearances. I think Kevin has 31 now. Kevin has more innings, but I kind of compared him to that a little bit. The difference is that Kevin's 24 and that individual was 21. I talked with coach about it, just making sure we're doing the right thing. Kevin's like, 'You're doing the right thing. I'm fine. Give me the ball.' He's got a great arm action it's short, quick, a strike-throwing machine. I don't know. The kid's a warrior. He wouldn't let us take him out of the game. Yeah, I know that we have the final call there, but man, this is a team. They want Kevin on the mound and Kevin wants to be on the mound."

Kopps had no intentions of coming out of the game. He wanted to pitch the ninth inning and obviously he got his wish.

"They just asked me if I'm going to good, how I'm feeling?," Kopps said. "And I'd say, 'Yep, I do feel good.' I don't know. I just felt, good excited about the game. I was ready to finish it. They trust me and I was just ready to go.""

metcalfmafia
PigNaBlanket said:

The HogPen is the area in left to left center field that is general admission. It will have several thousand fans in it. You can bring in chairs, coolers, and grills. It's a massive tailgate inside the stadium.

You can see it in left field in this picture
Damnit I was hoping it was a literal hogpen and the pure stench would cause issues for the LF and CF.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.