baseball NCAAT Super Regional at Arkansas

104,880 Views | 1327 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Razorbacks (49-10) will now host NC State in the Super Regionals, which are set to begin Friday or Saturday at Baum-Walker Stadium. More information about game times and television designations will be released when available.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/welch-kopps-send-razorbacks-to-super-regionals-with-legendary-nights/
AlleyPack
I know they're the No. 1 team in the country and have "only" lost 10 games all season, but when looking over their schedule and results on the year, I noticed a couple of interesting things.

Two of their losses were against two teams we just got finished dominating:

at La. Tech, 2-0
vs. Alabama, 16-1

And while sure, they played a tough SEC conference schedule... like all schools they also played a pretty fluff "midweek" slate of opponents, as well.

Another thing to consider:
Since turning our season around beginning on 3/23 at UNCW we are 29-8.

In their last 37 games, Arkansas is... 29-8.

Put simply, this isn't some hulking behemoth that our guys should be scared of.
Go out and play the way we've been playing for the last 10 weeks and we've got as good a shot as any team in the country.
castlewood107
Well, we saw this weekend what Arky's strategy is: they are going to hope to be ahead or tied by middle innings by swinging for fences every AB (100+ HRs as team), then bring Kopps in to throw until his arm falls off.

He threw almost 200 pitches this weekend. That's like us starting Reid on Friday and then again on Monday and having him go deep both games.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of pitching, but that pitch count seems ridiculous for a guy who had TJ looking to get drafted. Maybe he will be gassed this weekend.
SportManagementEngineer
June 11 - 6:00 PM ET - ESPNU
June 12 - 3:00 PM ET - ESPN2
June 13 - 6:00 PM ET - ESPN2 or ESPNU (If Nec.)

Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Pack31
This schedule is perfect imo. Was just coming to post I hope we get the F,Sa,Su so Kopps has 1 less day to recover. Dude will be on 4 days rest Friday after throwing 185 pitches in 4 days and what? 90 of those yesterday too. I like our chances here. LFG!!!
DrummerboyWolf
I put this in the Louisiana Regional thread and it belongs here too. Anybody who grew up in Eastern North Carolina and made the trip back and forth to Raleigh, probably stopped at Wilber's along the way.

Quote:

Quote:

DrummerboyWolf said:
Alright we are going to Fayetteville. Just not the right one.

It's going to be tough, but we have been great on the road. If our pitching can keep us in the game, then I think we will score more than two runs against them. Should be a good series.

GO PACK!
Bell Tower Grey said:
Need to take Scott's BBQ Sauce with us by the gallons. Show them exactly what a pig pickin is really all about.
Since Wilber of Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro passed away just a few weeks ago, a hickory smoked pig pick'n would be very fitting. Mr. Shirley was a HUGE Wolfpacker and def(EATING) the Hogs to get to Omaha would indeed be a great way to honor Wilber! May he rest in peace!

Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
cowboypack02
After listening to the podcast from James yesterday I agree with him. Arkansas has got to be thinking they got screwed in the seeding process. They earn the number 1 overall seed and end up in a super regional with who I would argue has been the hottest team in the last two months with State coming to town.

I am hoping that we are in for a helluva series this upcoming weekend
Atchase89
It will be interesting to see what kind of approach our guys have at the plate. IMO over the past few weeks when the bats have slowed down it is because our guys seem to be too selective. I dont think you will be able to do that against Arkansas and be successful. Getting behind in the count to a guy that is dealing is never a good recipe for success.
TopsailWolf
Great man, but mediocre bbq the past 15 years. There, I said it.
ecbwolf
Their obnoxious fans will make it a tough atmosphere.
DecaturWolf
I have a road trip Friday evening. Will the game be on tune-in or another radio.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
Wolfer79
DecaturWolf said:

I have a road trip Friday evening. Will the game be on tune-in or another radio.

previous games have been on 88.1,not streamed on 88.1, and tunein
EthanBarry
Staff
Is Kopps available Friday? If so, probably only for a couple innings max. Wicklander probably goes Saturday, can State make them burn both in the same game? That would be ideal
Wolfer79
EthanBarry said:

Is Kopps available Friday? If so, probably only for a couple innings max. Wicklander probably goes Saturday, can State make them burn both in the same game? That would be ideal

From box score
Friday 2.1 innings, 24 pitches
Saturday 4.0 innings. 71 pitches
Sunday did not pitch
Monday 7.0 innings, 90 pitches

all in relief

I anticipate Mr Kopps pitches in every game in Super Regional
BigLefty24
TopsailWolf said:

Great man, but mediocre bbq the past 15 years. There, I said it.

Them's fighting words..
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Wolfpack
Wolfer79 said:

EthanBarry said:

From box score
Sunday did not pitch

all in relief

People will go nuts if he pitches on Friday
BigLefty24
Wolfpack said:

Wolfer79 said:

EthanBarry said:

From box score
Sunday did not pitch

all in relief

People will go nuts if he pitches on Friday

Prepare for them to go nuts.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

castlewood107
Game 1 is probably must win if we want this series.

Kopps will be on fumes with only 3 days rest and Reid has been shoving lately.
wolfpack1437
EthanBarry said:

I read on one of the Arkansas fan sites that they expect Wicklander to start Fri (finished by Kopps)
EthanBarry
Staff
wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

I read on one of the Arkansas fan sites that they expect Wicklander to start Fri (finished by Kopps)
That's interesting because I believe he's pitched on Saturday all year. Probably the right move though
ciscopack
AlleyPack said:

I know they're the No. 1 team in the country and have "only" lost 10 games all season, but when looking over their schedule and results on the year, I noticed a couple of interesting things.

Two of their losses were against two teams we just got finished dominating:

at La. Tech, 2-0
vs. Alabama, 16-1

And while sure, they played a tough SEC conference schedule... like all schools they also played a pretty fluff "midweek" slate of opponents, as well.

Another thing to consider:
Since turning our season around beginning on 3/23 at UNCW we are 29-8.

In their last 37 games, Arkansas is... 29-8.

Put simply, this isn't some hulking behemoth that our guys should be scared of.
Go out and play the way we've been playing for the last 10 weeks and we've got as good a shot as any team in the country.
HEAR HEAR
wolfpack1437
EthanBarry said:

wolfpack1437 said:

EthanBarry said:

That's interesting because I believe he's pitched on Saturday all year. Probably the right move though
That was just their opinion but it seemed most thought that would be the choice. Something about "giving Kopps the best chance to have a short outing"
wilmwolf
I expect dude to pitch all three games. You don't throw him that much in a regional and then not use him with a chance to get to Omaha. It is abuse, and people will definitely not like it, but I don't see them changing. By the same token, if we had to use Justice a third time with Omaha on the line, would we? Maybe not with Villaman being really good in relief of late, but maybe we would. I wouldn't love it, but if a trip to the CWS is on the line, who knows. I know all these kids want to be in there regardless, just up to the coaches to balance the best interest of the team and these kids arms and futures.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

I expect dude to pitch all three games. You don't throw him that much in a regional and then not use him with a chance to get to Omaha. It is abuse, and people will definitely not like it, but I don't see them changing. By the same token, if we had to use Justice a third time with Omaha on the line, would we? Maybe not with Villaman being really good in relief of late, but maybe we would. I wouldn't love it, but if a trip to the CWS is on the line, who knows. I know all these kids want to be in there regardless, just up to the coaches to balance the best interest of the team and these kids arms and futures.
Agree. It wouldn't shock me to see him start a game AND pitch in relief one game
EthanBarry
Staff
wilmwolf80 said:

I agree. Question is, at one point does he start to become ineffective? Maybe it doesn't happen at all, but you'd think it will eventually. If he does, have to feel good about State's chances
Turfpack
If anyone can make it I'd highly recommend the trip. Fayetteville, AR is an awesome college town in a really beautiful area. I've been to Baum-Walker multiple times and it's a first-class facility.

With State's limited bullpen, the Pack is built for 2 and 3 game series and has learned to thrive in a set number of games. The hardest thing for this team was always going to be an extended weekend (ACCT, Regionals, CWS) due to the amount of arms on the roster.

Looking forward to this weekend. GO PACK!
If you can't mow it, don't grow it.
SportManagementEngineer
Y'all are acting like Avent didn't run Rodon out there every chance he got. This is nothing new in college baseball.

ETA: We even had him DH a few times, too.
tau06
EthanBarry said:

Don't kid yourself, this coach will throw him seven innings Friday if he needs too and then another 7 on Sunday. No regard to protect the kid
tau06
SportManagementEngineer said:

Y'all are acting like Avent didn't run Rodon out there every chance he got. This is nothing new in college baseball.

Lol not even close to this level man
Wolfpack

ETA: We even had him DH a few times, too.
It's not comparable to Kopps... I think we managed Rodon about as maturely as you can with no rules/college baseball BS when it comes to this stuff. If I am reading the stats correctly, we never pitched him on back to back nights let alone 3 out of 4.

I think we definitely took Rodon on a ride when he pitched (I'm thinking of that long inning UNC game), but we always gave him rest after.

We're talking about a pitcher who threw almost 200 pitches in 3 games over 4 days then coming back in 5 days and doing it all again? That's crazy.

Everyone is right, they will do it. I would think he is going to become ineffective and maybe that leads to our benefit. I just hope he becomes ineffective from fatigue before anything else happens.
SportManagementEngineer
tau06 said:

Lol not even close to this level man
If Baseball-Reference is correct, Rodon threw 132 innings in 2013 the year we made it to Omaha. Kopps is at 72. I get the difference in starting and relieving but this is just not a new thing. I remember when Rodon was struggling in his pro career before his breakout year he's enjoying now, that many baseball pundits said his usage at State played a large role in his inability to stay healthy with the White Sox.
AirWolf
Went over and looked at a couple of their message boards and our team shouldn't even bother going to Arkansas because pack9 is not a worthy team from the majority of their posters. We play in the lowly ACC. Nebraska is a better team than State. We're Carolina's, Duke's and even Wake's whipping boy. Nobody outside of Raleigh even knows or cares about NC State. Bla Bla Bla.

I hope their team has the same opinion as their fans. One thing that I know and like about college baseball is that anything can happen and it usually does.

They're #1 for a reason and I respect that. But you get to this point of the year, and all the remaining teams are good - including State!
Wolfpack
AirWolf said:

Went over and looked at a couple of their message boards and our team shouldn't even bother going to Arkansas because pack9 is not a worthy team from the majority of their posters. We play in the lowly ACC. Nebraska is a better team than State. We're Carolina's, Duke's and even Wake's whipping boy. Nobody outside of Raleigh even knows or cares about NC State. Bla Bla Bla.

I hope their team has the same opinion as their fans. One thing that I know and like about college baseball is that anything can happen and it usually does.

They're #1 for a reason and I respect that. But you get to this point of the year, and all the remaining teams are good - including State!
Lol. Never met elites in Arkansas, let me tell you
Wolfer79
Join @NCStateBaseball at the super regional In Fayetteville, AR. Baseball season ticket holders and @wolfpackclub members login to your account to request tickets. The deadline is 6/9 at noon. #gopack

wilmwolf
Throwing 120 pitches in an 8-9 inning start and then resting 7 days is way different than throwing 190 pitches in three games over a weekend. Maybe Rodon was over worked, but we never used him like that. Throwing in three games over four days, getting warmed up in the pen before each of those appearances, which were all high leverage appearances, this guy probably threw 400+ pitches this past weekend. Not even close to the same. I remember the criticism we got for Carlos' usage, all while Mike Fox was down the road throwing guys three straight games with nothing from the sports pundits. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to usage, and have defended our staff this year when it has been questioned, but what this dude is doing is a whole other level.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.