baseball NCAAT Super Regional at Arkansas

107,031 Views | 1327 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One crazy thing to me is that we've talked about the short pen all year, but apparently our pen was deeper than the number one team in the country. I get that some of that is them having one dominant reliever, but in a win or go home game, they stretched out that guy, who hadn't made a start on years, and their only relief was a starter that had thrown 99 pitches two days ago. The development of Villaman, using him as a starter most of the year, and having him there for long relief really was the difference. If we don't have him to bridge to Justice, we probably don't win.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
FourOaksWolf
How many other programs will make it to Omaha with a five pitcher rotation?
CALS Alumni
Packsd14me
metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Just watching clips, and helluva play by Tresh for the last out. That guy gets on there and it gets really tight in there. He took charge, scooped it, and made a great throw to first. For a dude that was just a hitter when he got here, he's made tremendous improvements.

On the clip posted by Pack9 on Instagram or Twitter you can hear the coaches yelling Lucas name to make the play there. That ball was in no mans land. Great play.

He didn't play the one earlier in the game when he should have. It's easier for the catcher. I am sure their was a conversation in the dugout after the first one.
DrummerboyWolf
Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Just watching clips, and helluva play by Tresh for the last out. That guy gets on there and it gets really tight in there. He took charge, scooped it, and made a great throw to first. For a dude that was just a hitter when he got here, he's made tremendous improvements.

On the clip posted by Pack9 on Instagram or Twitter you can hear the coaches yelling Lucas name to make the play there. That ball was in no mans land. Great play.

He didn't play the one earlier in the game when he should have. It's easier for the catcher. I am sure their was a conversation in the dugout after the first one.
The one earlier was more towards the 3rd base side and Willadsen is a pretty good fielder and actually an easier play than Tresh on that one because he was right handed. I thought Murr should have made the scoop on that one and he would have been out had he done so. It was a tough play for both Matt and Luca to make. The last out was definitely Luca because he was going towards the bag and Justice would have had to spin and throw.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Packsd14me
Wolfer79 said:

The best team won tonight. We out hit them and out pitched them. Even though they played great defense, we played well enough to win. Way to go Pack!
hokiewolf
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

Did the Torres home run ever land?
It will in about 20 years into his glove while he's playing catch with his son in a cornfield
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

One crazy thing to me is that we've talked about the short pen all year, but apparently our pen was deeper than the number one team in the country. I get that some of that is them having one dominant reliever, but in a win or go home game, they stretched out that guy, who hadn't made a start on years, and their only relief was a starter that had thrown 99 pitches two days ago. The development of Villaman, using him as a starter most of the year, and having him there for long relief really was the difference. If we don't have him to bridge to Justice, we probably don't win.

Our pitching set up awesome after Game 1.

Superb job managing the staff over the three game series, and it getting ugly early in Game 1 was a blessing in disguise. Little temptation to chase after 7-1 in that game.
Packsd14me
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The one earlier was more towards the 3rd base side and Willadsen is a pretty good fielder and actually an easier play than Tresh on that one because he was right handed. I thought Murr should have made the scoop on that one and he would have been out had he done so. It was a tough play for both Matt and Luca to make. The last out was definitely Luca because he was going towards the bag and Justice would have had to spin and throw.

Disagree. Tresh should have called him off. Matt had to pivot and rush a throw which was low. Catchers are taught to call off pitchers if they can make the play. He didn't take charge. If I were Avent, I would make sure he knows to take charge in the future and he did in the ninth. Momentum makes that throw a lot easier.
pack99
pack4life11 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack4life11 said:

BigLefty24 said:

pack4life11 said:

Y'all are welcome to go back and check the posts, but I've told y'all from the start, this is Avent's max. High 2/low 1 seed overall, 2nd-3rd in the ACC, Make regional final lose 2 years out of 3, go to supers once every 3 years, win one super once every 10 years, wash, rinse, repeat. Been saying it for 20 years between here and PP.

Miss me with that "he does the best" with what he has BScoastal won the CWS 3 years ago. I state simple fact, not opinion.

Ummmokkkk? Stop me where I was wrong? You can change it to say "we went to Omaha 8 years ago." This is the first time this decadegive me a championship and I'll shut up about it forever.

You should call it an early evening Chadwick. Us pack fans are celebrating 'round here.

Oh I'm celebrating too manwhiskey going down good right now. I can be happy with us winning and going to Omaha and still want more. Our former AD encouraged that, something about "refusing to accept the status quo"

Dude, don't worry about the CLT guy. By far the most condescending and worst poster on this board. That dude knows nothing. Good call and LFG Pack! I have some love for the W&L Generals as well!
TheCapper
A LOT of Monday Morning QB over there on the Kopps starting which is amazing given overwhelming majority thought it was right play before the game.

I guess it's kind of nice to see others have fans who play result after loss.
CLTWolf
pack99 said:

pack4life11 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack4life11 said:

BigLefty24 said:

pack4life11 said:

Y'all are welcome to go back and check the posts, but I've told y'all from the start, this is Avent's max. High 2/low 1 seed overall, 2nd-3rd in the ACC, Make regional final lose 2 years out of 3, go to supers once every 3 years, win one super once every 10 years, wash, rinse, repeat. Been saying it for 20 years between here and PP.

Miss me with that "he does the best" with what he has BScoastal won the CWS 3 years ago. I state simple fact, not opinion.

Ummmokkkk? Stop me where I was wrong? You can change it to say "we went to Omaha 8 years ago." This is the first time this decadegive me a championship and I'll shut up about it forever.

You should call it an early evening Chadwick. Us pack fans are celebrating 'round here.

Oh I'm celebrating too manwhiskey going down good right now. I can be happy with us winning and going to Omaha and still want more. Our former AD encouraged that, something about "refusing to accept the status quo"

Dude, don't worry about the CLT guy. By far the most condescending and worst poster on this board. That dude knows nothing. Good call and LFG Pack! I have some love for the W&L Generals as well!
And you forgot LIVES IN YOUR HEAD RENT FREE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! (BY FAR)

I know a lil something...KMA

GO PACK!
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
DrummerboyWolf
Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Disagree. Tresh should have called him off. Matt had to pivot and rush a throw which was low. Catchers are taught to call off pitchers if they can make the play. He didn't take charge. If I were Avent, I would make sure he knows to take charge in the future and he did in the ninth. Momentum makes that throw a lot easier.
Luca would have had to turn and throw on that one. Matt had the easier play and did not have to spin to throw We will just have to agree to disagree. Luca's momentum was towards 3rd on the first one. The last play he definitely should have taken as he was moving towards the bag and Justice would have had to spin.
CLTWolf
Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Agreed. The catcher almost always has the easier play in those situations literally facing first base and able to step into the throw (most cases).
Packsd14me
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Luca would have had to turn and throw on that one. Matt had the easier play and did not have to spin to throw We will just have to agree to disagree. Luca's momentum was towards 3rd on the first one. The last play he definitely should have taken as he was moving towards the bag and Justice would have had to spin.

We disagree. I coach differently and not going argue. We won and I am very happy! Go Pack!
DrummerboyWolf
Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

We disagree. I coach differently and not going argue. We won and I am very happy! Go Pack!
That is fine. I just looked at the play in the 4th inning. Orpitz bunted down the 3rd base line. Luca had no play on it as he was running right towards 3rd. Matt was the only one who had a chance.
CLTWolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I'm trying to find the replay on it b/c your description has me questioning my memory on the play. Also depends on how Matt approached the ball compared to Luca as well. Now I want to see it again. haha
pack99
CLTWolf said:

pack99 said:

pack4life11 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack4life11 said:

BigLefty24 said:

pack4life11 said:

GO PACK!

Yeah, LOL, not quite, brother. But keep thinking you live in anyone's head but your own. Anyway, Go Pack!
wilmwolf
It's always the catcher's ball if he can get it. I thought Matt made a great play to get there and put a throw on target, and if Austin picks it like normal, there's probably no discussion. But that still doesn't take away from Tresh's execution on the final play, and that's important.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
DrummerboyWolf
CLTWolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I'm trying to find the replay on it b/c your description has me questioning my memory on the play. Also depends on how Matt approached the ball compared to Luca as well. Now I want to see it again. haha
It's in the bottom of the 4th.
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
CLTWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Agreed. The catcher almost always has the easier play in those situations literally facing first base and able to step into the throw (most cases).
this is my thought as well and how I know I was taught as a catcher growing up.
CLTWolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Packsd14me said:

metcalfmafia said:

wilmwolf80 said:

It's in the bottom of the 4th.
Just found it. I'd rather have Luca grab that one but I won't disagree with your take on it as well. Just a very good bunt by the Ark C.
CLTWolf
pack99 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack99 said:

pack4life11 said:

CLTWolf said:

pack4life11 said:

BigLefty24 said:

pack4life11 said:

GO PACK!

Yeah, LOL, not quite, brother. But keep thinking you live in anyone's head but your own. Anyway, Go Pack!
Look fella, don't start none won't be none (I didn't bring your name up) now run off and just put me on ignore if I trigger you so. Some of us are trying to celebrate and talk ball here.
cowboypack02
TheCapper said:

A LOT of Monday Morning QB over there on the Kopps starting which is amazing given overwhelming majority thought it was right play before the game.

I dunno why. Dude was dominant most of the night and gave up three runs over 8 1/3 innings and 117 pitches. It was the right move to start the guy as Arkansas you just have to tip your hat to a pitching staff holding one of the most dominant hitting teams in the country to 2 runs.

I thought they should of sent out someone else for the 9th inning thought. Dude was beat
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
cowboypack02 said:

TheCapper said:

I dunno why. Dude was dominant most of the night and gave up three runs over 8 1/3 innings and 117 pitches. It was the right move to start the guy as Arkansas you just have to tip your hat to a pitching staff holding one of the most dominant hitting teams in the country to 2 runs.

I thought they should of sent out someone else for the 9th inning thought. Dude was beat
because they are Arkansas and are LOADED with GODS that can do EXACTLY what he did IF NOT BETTER.....don't you get it.....
CLTWolf
Just realized that....

1. In all 3 games the team that scored first, lost. That's wild.

2. We had zero replays tonight, no? I'm watching the Arizona/Ole Miss game and they just had a replay, then it hit me we didn't have any tonight and very few all weekend, I think.

3. OMAHA! haha
Cthepack
cowboypack02 said:

I thought they should of sent out someone else for the 9th inning thought. Dude was beat out of beet juice.
Fixed it for you.
Bas2020
Baseball CWS... Women's Ball back to back conf titles ... Wrestling title ...Swmming title ... tennis final 4... track natty ... football goes 7-3 in league ...

It's as if as soon as Swofford announced his retirement good things started happening ...
DrummerboyWolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

I put this in the Louisiana Regional thread and it belongs here too. Anybody who grew up in Eastern North Carolina and made the trip back and forth to Raleigh, probably stopped at Wilber's along the way.

Quote:

Quote:

DrummerboyWolf said:
Alright we are going to Fayetteville. Just not the right one.

It's going to be tough, but we have been great on the road. If our pitching can keep us in the game, then I think we will score more than two runs against them. Should be a good series.

GO PACK!
Bell Tower Grey said:
Need to take Scott's BBQ Sauce with us by the gallons. Show them exactly what a pig pickin is really all about.
Since Wilber of Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro passed away just a few weeks ago, a hickory smoked pig pick'n would be very fitting. Mr. Shirley was a HUGE Wolfpacker and def(EATING) the Hogs to get to Omaha would indeed be a great way to honor Wilber! May he rest in peace!

Hate to quote myself, but I just saw it again and think it's fitting. We BBQ'ed the Hogs the last two days and I know Wilber Shirley has to be smilin' down from upstairs.

GO PACK!
tau06
What a damn game! Has that ball by Torres ever landed? How bout that Wolfpack!
wolfpack1437
Anybody notice how close Butler's HR came to getting caught by that stud centerfielder they had?.......whew
Cthepack
tau06 said:

Why a damn game! Has that ball by Torres ever landed? How bout that Wolfpack!
Because they won the first and we won the second so we had to have a third.
DrummerboyWolf
wolfpack1437 said:

Anybody notice how close Butler's HR came to getting caught by that stud centerfielder they had?.......whew
It was close, but I think it was further back behind the fence than what it appeared to be. Elliott was saying the wind was blowing in early, but then settled a little when Butler hit the homer. The centerfielder did give it a great try, but I don't think it was catchable, but hard to tell from that angle.
CLTWolf
wolfpack1437 said:

Brother I thought he caught it!
Cthepack
Funny saying this when giving up 21 runs to Arkansas and 9 runs to UNC but pitching in the post season has been very solid. Lets hope we keep it up in Omaha!!
braz213
CLTWolf said:

braz213 said:

How does this affect recruiting? Jajaja. That game had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Highfill and Willadsen have turned into studs. Great job by our pitching coach. I had a good feeling about him when we hired him.
I said this back when he was hired but a kid that worked for my wife pitched for Chrysler at Winthrop and LOVED the guy. Said he was a great coach and knew his sht.

If Highfill, Willadsen and Villaman stay healthy that's one helluva nice weekend group for next year.

Hopefully the JUCO arms all make it as well as get kids back healthy we missed this year...could go from a short staff to a somewhat "deep" one. But first....OMAHA B
Who are the kids that we might get back healthy we missed this year?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.