baseball NCAAT Super Regional at Arkansas

106,685 Views | 1327 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by wilmwolf
Daviewolf83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Given how Villaman has looked coming out of the bullpen, I think you start Willadsen and have Villaman ready to go early. Who is the better low-ball pitcher, Villaman or Willadsen?

I do think State can and will play loose tomorrow - all the pressure is on Arkansas. They have been ranked number one all year and everyone (including them) expects them to be in Omaha. I also do not think State's batters are afraid of any pitcher that Arkansas will throw out there to start and they have now seen the bionic man (aka. Koop), so they know what to expect from him.
Wolfer79
After a 19-run loss in game 1, @NCStateBaseball turned it around in game 2 behind 6.1 stellar innings from Sam Highfill.

Jose Torres: "We're here to play, we're here to compete, and we're here to hopefully go to Omaha."

@benellis81

https://t.co/rbBWbLf7Il
Wolfer79
Packchem91
Daviewolf83 said:

Given how Villaman has looked coming out of the bullpen, I think you start Willadsen and have Villaman ready to go early. Who is the better low-ball pitcher, Villaman or Willadsen?

I do think State can and will play loose tomorrow - all the pressure is on Arkansas. They have been ranked number one all year and everyone (including them) expects them to be in Omaha. I also do not think State's batters are afraid of any pitcher that Arkansas will throw out there to start and they have now seen the bionic man (aka. Koop), so they know what to expect from him.
Agree...Arkansas will be feeling the pressure tomorrow. Score some early, and that really turns up.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

You are right about that, but I can't think of another time he came out of the pen.

He came out of the pen to start the season.

UNCG, Ga Tech and Campbell and then the aforementioned unc game as well as an inning against uncw a month ago.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wilmwolf
Thanks. I still like Villaman in that position.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheCapper
Torres error may actually have prevented Kopps from getting the start tomorrow.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

No doubt.

I wouldn't be upset at either option. Matt just has to keep the ball down and throw strikes. Would LOVE 4 innings at least out of him.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wilmwolf
Keeping it down will be key. Hopefully the umps will act right.
Civilized
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf80 said:

No doubt.

I wouldn't be upset at either option. Matt just has to keep the ball down and throw strikes. Would LOVE 4 innings at least out of him.

Agree very much. Get 4 from Matt, bring in Villaman fresh, then let Justice finish if it's close late.

I'll take Matt, Chris, and Evan against any team in the country in a Super Regional Game 3. Don't care. LFG!!
Bell Tower Grey
TheCapper said:

I wonder if during the post game PC, Torres was asked about the brain fart error ? While it may have prevented Cy Young from starting tomorrow, it could also have been the final nail in the coffin for State.

And if so, what was his response?
wilmwolf
"That's right. Unfortunately I made the error, but that happens in this game. We can't just be perfect all the time. I just try to keep my head up. I didn't want my teammates to see me with my head down. It could have messed everything up. But knowing Justice and how good of a competitor he is and the intensity he plays the game with, I knew even though I made an error he was going to pick me up. It was awesome to see him competing and competing with fire in his eyes and his demeanor. It was awesome. "
TheCapper
Bell Tower Grey said:

TheCapper said:

I wonder if during the post game PC, Torres was asked about the brain fart error ? While it may have prevented Cy Young from starting tomorrow, it could also have been the final nail in the coffin for State.

And if so, what was his response?

We would have not been in the position to win it without his 9 pitch masterpiece that jump started the offense in the 4th.

My only point was Mr. My Arm Never Gets Tired will pitch tomorrow, but probably will not start and our guys got a chance to face him. He does not come in that game if it was not close.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

"That's right. Unfortunately I made the error, but that happens in this game. We can't just be perfect all the time. I just try to keep my head up. I didn't want my teammates to see me with my head down. It could have messed everything up. But knowing Justice and how good of a competitor he is and the intensity he plays the game with, I knew even though I made an error he was going to pick me up. It was awesome to see him competing and competing with fire in his eyes and his demeanor. It was awesome. "
Thanks.

It's refreshing to see someone actually acknowledge responsibility for their actions; that happens far too infrequently in today's world. Thank you, Mr. Torres, for doing so. And more so, thank you for being a great representative of the Wolfpack.
cowboypack02
TheCapper said:

Nah man...they're gonna march him out there to start tomorrow evening. The guy has only thrown two innings this weekend, as compared to 17-18 last weekend. Dude is a stud and we're gonna have a hard time hitting off of him tomorrow. If I was Arkansas i'd march him out there and hope that their guys can put 3-4 over the plate out of the gate and then force us to play catchup the entire game.

Here is his stat line:
W/L -12-0
ERA - .68
SO - 120
IP - 79.2
OPA - .156

I'm walking that out there all day long to win me a game three and move on to the CWS. My hope is that the guys can come out swinging tomorrow and chase him from the game.
wolfpack1437
cowboypack02 said:

TheCapper said:

Nah man...they're gonna march him out there to start tomorrow evening. The guy has only thrown two innings this weekend, as compared to 17-18 last weekend. Dude is a stud and we're gonna have a hard time hitting off of him tomorrow. If I was Arkansas i'd march him out there and hope that their guys can put 3-4 over the plate out of the gate and then force us to play catchup the entire game.

Here is his stat line:
W/L -12-0
ERA - .68
SO - 120
IP - 79.2
OPA - .156

I'm walking that out there all day long to win me a game three and move on to the CWS. My hope is that the guys can come out swinging tomorrow and chase him from the game.

That's what I would do if I was the Ark coach. However, baseball is weird. Some people aren't going to mess with a pitcher's routine especially in an elimination game. Kopps has not started a single game this year, does starting him throw him off?
Regardless, I think we end up hitting him enough to make it a game......and I wouldn't want it any other way
metcalfmafia
I actually thought our hitters were seeing Kopps pitches pretty well. It wasn't like he was making us look stupid.
wilmwolf
metcalfmafia said:

I actually thought our hitters were seeing Kopps pitches pretty well. It wasn't like he was making us look stupid.

Agreed. We put barrel to ball. Over multiple trips, I think our guys would get to him.
BigLefty24
I think the key to approaching Kropp (and the sink that his pitch has) is to approach him like you would a knuckleball pitcher. You're going to focus in on those pitches that are elevated in the zone, and try to make a concerted effort to lay off the stuff at the bottom of the zone. If you're aggressive on those pitches at the bottom half, you're going to have a lot of swing/misses, and a lot of weak ground balls.

To be honest, a lot of things have gone our way. I think getting blown out in game one is a way better result than losing a close game in the late innings. Those late losses seem to weigh on you, and have a good chance of those kinds of losses carrying over in to game two. When you get your ass kicked, you simply flush that game out of your system and go full reset on game two. Not to mention, you didn't tax a short bullpen going into a crucial game three. The unfortunate error by Torres caused some anxiety, but it did create a scenario where Arkansas pulls Kropp out of the pen. Kids have to have much better feel going in to game three knowing exactly what his pitches look like, and you also get the added benefit of getting a little more wear on his arm having him go back to back games. I think State goes into tomorrow with basically every pitcher outside of Highfill avaialble to go if needed. The key IMO tomorrow is scratching a few runs innings 1-3.

Go get it done boys!
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
I agree. If it looks like it's at the letters out of his hand, then be ready to swing. Anything that starts in the zone is going to fall out of it. And a lot was made of the blowout, but that game was over at 7-1. Once you pull Reid and go to the bottom end of the bullpen, nothing else really matters. I'm glad the team was able to see it that way. I think it's a close one tomorrow.
Pack31
wilmwolf80 said:

metcalfmafia said:

Agreed. We put barrel to ball. Over multiple trips, I think our guys would get to him.

The ump was the one having a hard time seeing it. Called strike 3 on Brown about 4-5 inches off the plate. That doesn't help us
TheCapper
BigLefty24 said:

I think the key to approaching Kropp (and the sink that his pitch has) is to approach him like you would a knuckleball pitcher. You're going to focus in on those pitches that are elevated in the zone, and try to make a concerted effort to lay off the stuff at the bottom of the zone. If you're aggressive on those pitches at the bottom half, you're going to have a lot of swing/misses, and a lot of weak ground balls.

To be honest, a lot of things have gone our way. I think getting blown out in game one is a way better result than losing a close game in the late innings. Those late losses seem to weigh on you, and have a good chance of those kinds of losses carrying over in to game two. When you get your ass kicked, you simply flush that game out of your system and go full reset on game two. Not to mention, you didn't tax a short bullpen going into a crucial game three. The unfortunate error by Torres caused some anxiety, but it did create a scenario where Arkansas pulls Kropp out of the pen. Kids have to have much better feel going in to game three knowing exactly what his pitches look like, and you also get the added benefit of getting a little more wear on his arm having him go back to back games. I think State goes into tomorrow with basically every pitcher outside of Highfill avaialble to go if needed. The key IMO tomorrow is scratching a few runs innings 1-3.

Go get it done boys!

As you stated, even when things went wrong they went our way.

It was McDonough - Brown (your 2 - 7) that got a chance to see his stuff. You were going to see him this weekend so getting the heart of lineup up against him in win is perfect. The other 3 guys who did not see him have shown they can manufacture hits in small ball scenarios.

I bet they go with Wiggins to start (it appears options are limited with Bolden out of series). They are not brimming with confidence in Wiggins whose last 3 games were 3 innings, 3.2 innings, and 2 innings. What little I saw in Nebraska game was electric stuff but can get wild leading to walks.

We need to pounce on a dude who is going to be looking over his shoulder waiting for the hook.
poexcuse
Not sure how and when but the Pack will see a lot of Kopps Sunday.
Always be hopeful and respect the athletes.
AlleyPack
You might be right about Wiggins starting -- and I actually HOPE you're right... but I will honestly be shocked if they don't start Kopps.

Their coach is well aware that State is a dangerus offensive team, and I just don't think he'll take the chance that we could put up 4-5 runs on Wiggins right out of the gate.
I think he'll start Kopps and ride him the whole game, and then bring Wicklander back for an inning or two at the end if necessary. Those guys are pretty much the only two standout pitchers on their entire staff.

If Kopps starts then I think that by the 5th or 6th inning our guys will start to square him up. We just have to hope that Willadsen/Villaman can hold them in check until then.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
Wolfer79 said:

They definitely are the ultimate fighters. They keep believing no matter what!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
86wolf
Do we know the result of the coin flip to determine home team for game today?
wilmwolf
86wolf said:

Per Twitter there was no coin flip, the higher seed gets home team if there is a third game. Either way, they will be the home team.
Wolfer79
86wolf said:

there was no coin flip from what I have read
tv announcers were wrong
since Arkansas is a national seed and NC State is not, Arkansas is home team
86wolf
Thanks
tau06
Wolfer79 said:

86wolf said:

tv announcers were wrong

Least shocking thing I've ever heard. The announcers have been awful, doing the games from home have been awful for them I guess.
Wolfer79
tau06 said:

Wolfer79 said:

86wolf said:

tv announcers were wrong

Least shocking thing I've ever heard. The announcers have been awful, doing the games from home have been awful for them I guess.
another reason to listen to Andrew Sanders on Wolfpack Sports Network
TheCapper
Wolfer79 said:

tau06 said:

Wolfer79 said:

86wolf said:

tv announcers were wrong

another reason to listen to Andrew Sanders on Wolfpack Sports Network

Agreed. Play by play guy is too busy drooling over Arkansas to actually tell you what is going on in game accurately anyway.
gohogs14
AlleyPack said:

You might be right about Wiggins starting -- and I actually HOPE you're right... but I will honestly be shocked if they don't start Kopps.

Their coach is well aware that State is a dangerus offensive team, and I just don't think he'll take the chance that we could put up 4-5 runs on Wiggins right out of the gate.
I think he'll start Kopps and ride him the whole game, and then bring Wicklander back for an inning or two at the end if necessary. Those guys are pretty much the only two standout pitchers on their entire staff.

If Kopps starts then I think that by the 5th or 6th inning our guys will start to square him up. We just have to hope that Willadsen/Villaman can hold them in check until then.

I don't think Wiggins would be left in long enough to give up 5 runs. I think Arkansas starts Wiggins and if he gets you 2-3 innings then that's great, but he probably gets pulled after his first run given up. The problem with starting Kopps is if he makes it to the 6th inning and is in a jam then who do you bring in? He's been the fire extinguisher all year and I think asking him to throw a complete game is a lot, even 7 innings last week was really pushing it. I do think Lockhart could pitch 1-2 innings as a bridge to Kopps if needed since he only threw 38 pitches yesterday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.