Football Recruiting

485,543 Views | 905 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by toddl
EthanBarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
COrockclimber said:

After watching Val Martin's film, who was visiting this weekend, we appear to have a chance to land a solid Juco/CC DT who maintained a 3.0 GPA, graduates in May ... and plays like there is no tomorrow.
Val committed
COrockclimber
wkdbigpckfan said:

COrockclimber said:

After watching Val Martin's film, who was visiting this weekend, we appear to have a chance to land a solid Juco/CC DT who maintained a 3.0 GPA, graduates in May ... and plays like there is no tomorrow.
Val committed
Excellent. Thanks for the beta.
EthanBarry
Staff
Looks like we are the favorite for Palmer. Tennessee not very confident and have offered other DBs in the last couple days. Announcing at 2 on signing day. Would be an excellent finish to the class
Leeroy3366
Kennan Solomon unofficially visited this weekend. 6'6" defensive end who originally signed with ECU last year but never enrolled. He won the PAC-6 defensive lineman of the year award last year. He's former high school teammates with Josh Harris. I believe that could be a HUGE thing, because they were very close in high school!
GuerrillaPack
I saw this posted on another site (on the subject of the recruit mentioned in the post directly above this one). Apparently we have a DE who is going to walk on, and he looks like a stud. Seems he was initially in the 2017 class, but had to go the Juco route because of grades. Now his grades are in order, and he would have 4 years left to play.

paste...

It appears we have a new walk on, Kennan Solomon a 6-6 275 DE out of Roxboro. He was teammates with 2019 DT Joshua Harris. His film is very impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if he earns a scholarship in no time. This should help us with Harris who is blowing up nationally, although on film Solomon looks just as impressive as Harris if not more. Solomon originally committed to ECU in 2017, but failed to matriculate. He spent a year at Mississippi Gulf Coast and is now qualified. 4 years to play. Links below to his hudl, the ECU board's discussion of him, and his twitter.

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Board/59438/Contents/Kennan-Solomon-114510505

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4677619/Kennan-Solomon

https://twitter.com/kennansolomon77?lang=en
enlighten
Great for us!

Do not understand how Montgomery still has a job.
Bell Tower Grey
enlighten said:

Great for us!

Their AD is Jeff Compher. That's part of it.
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

enlighten said:

Great for us!

Their AD is Jeff Compher. That's part of it.
Hey! Settle down guys... Compher is the one that was going to get them into the Big 12.

He is a king in Greenville!
Thunderhill
"...but if he can get admitted to State he should certainly be able to get admitted to ECU. Head-scratching.

Me thinks this guy has no self-awareness-that's an unintentionally hilarious line...
fishinwolf
Thunderhill said:

"...but if he can get admitted to State he should certainly be able to get admitted to ECU. Head-scratching.

Me thinks this guy has no self-awareness-that's an unintentionally hilarious line...
Seems like the guy is saying it is harder to get into State so if he can be admitted to State then he should be able to be admitted to ECU.... IMO that's likely true
TheWhiteWolf
Does anyone know what is going on with Eason? Saw some saying we might be back in with him?
GuerrillaPack
TheWhiteWolf said:

Does anyone know what is going on with Eason? Saw some saying we might be back in with him?
It appears so. I've seen premium articles promoted on other sites suggesting this, but am not premium and could not read the articles themselves. I read on another board that Eason had silent verballed to Notre Dame, but then subsequently backed out of this silent verbal. But that was not from an official source, so could just be a rumor.

Whatever Eason does, we will find out in about an hour. His signing day press conference is from 9-10 am.
Pot Hole
Eason to the Pack! Light it RED!
Bell Tower Grey
Pot Hole said:

Eason to the Pack! Light it RED!
Just got the text. Now, adding Palmer will be icing on the cake fot a nice class.
GuerrillaPack
And some Wolfpack fans all over the internet were so sure that Eason had flipped. I wonder if there was ever any genuine reason to worry that Eason had flipped (silent verbal). If not, it was probably just people starting rumors, and then others buying into that rumor/speculation.

I was disappointed seeing some NC State fans tweeting at Eason the last few days saying stuff like "best of luck at Notre Dame". A lesson here is to not tweet negatively at recruits, especially when you don't even know what is actually going on. It could have caused Eason to ACTUALLY flip from NC State, seeing salty NC State fans. Either way, fans should be respectful to recruits.

EthanBarry
Staff
GuerrillaPack said:

And some Wolfpack fans all over the internet were so sure that Eason had flipped. I wonder if there was ever any genuine reason to worry that Eason had flipped (silent verbal). If not, it was probably just people starting rumors, and then others buying into that rumor/speculation.

I was disappointed seeing some NC State fans tweeting at Eason the last few days saying stuff like "best of luck at Notre Dame". A lesson here is to not tweet negatively at recruits, especially when you don't even know what is actually going on. It could have caused Eason to ACTUALLY flip from NC State, seeing salty NC State fans. Either way, fans should be respectful to recruits.

Not to be the negative guy but he definitely flipped to them before a last minute change of heart. We had stopped recruiting him. Happy to have him though
Bell Tower Grey
GuerrillaPack said:

It's a lot better to wish a player "best of luck" than to tell him to F off. Ask Angie Fussell.

Personally, I commented that he'd made a decision he'd have to live with. And, he still has. Only in Raleigh now instead of South Bend.

Hope he has a successful career here. Glad he chose State.
apackfan69
Is Palmer's announcement going to be on ESPN? They just showed some upcoming players announcement times and Palmer was not up there. Is he announcing at 2:00pm?
EthanBarry
Staff
apackfan69 said:

Is Palmer's announcement going to be on ESPN? They just showed some upcoming players announcement times and Palmer was not up there. Is he announcing at 2:00pm?
2:30 I think. It is not on ESPN as far as I know. Wish it was though
WolfpackSI
PALMER TO STATE

NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
toddl
Staff

12/29 - The 2017 season is officially complete. Thank you to the 15 seniors who are leaving the team
12/29 - 3 upperclassmen redshirted the 2017 season (Murchison, Griffin, Phillips). 13 freshmen redshirted the 2017 season.
12/29 - The 2019 recruiting class starts with 1 commit: LS Drew Little
12/30 - TE Cary Angeline commits! He will be a RS-SO in 2018 with 3 to play 3.
1/8 - Six freshmen and two JuCos enroll in January. Person, Strickland, Boletepeli, Wilson, Graves, Dunn, Babros, and Miller.
1/12 - SR RB Nyheim Hines leaves the team for the NFL draft.
1/12 - RSSR OL Will Richardson leaves the team for the NFL draft.
1/13 - Tyrone Riley has moved from DE to OT according to GoPack
1/15 - RSSR QB Jalen McClendon will transfer at the end of the semester.
1/16 - RSJR OL Aaron Wiltz takes a medical disqualification.
1/28 - RSSO CB Bryce Banks will transfer from NCSU.
1/28 - 2019 OL Tim McKay commits!
1/28 - RSSR WR Maurice Trowell has moved to CB.
2/4 - JuCo DT Val Martin commits! He'll be a RSSO in 2018 with 3 to play 3.
2/7 - CB Taiyon Palmer commits!
Chicwolf67
Nice class. Everyone we had committed and all leans went our way.
Pot Hole
Where do we stand with the final recruiting rankings?
GuerrillaPack
Great class.

Looking at the class rankings, 247 currently has the class ranked at 26th. ESPN currently has it at 28th.

Rivals currently says 32nd, but I think Val Martin being unranked may be unjustifiably driving that ranking down. On Rivals, NC State's average star rating should be about 3.17 (if you give Val Martin 3 stars). And if you looked at just the average star rating on Rivals as a measure of the class, NC State should be ranked in the range of about 26-28.

If Dave Doeren & Co. can sustain this level of recruiting in 2019 and beyond, I think NC State football will be taking a big step upwards (ie, consistent top 25 ranking and program).

Also, consider that 4-star Angeline and the potential stud walk-on Kennan Solomon are not accounted for in the class rankings.
WolfpackSI
If the Soloman is a stud then why is he a walk on? Im seriously curious
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
TheWhiteWolf
GuerrillaPack said:

Great class.

Looking at the class rankings, 247 currently has the class ranked at 26th. ESPN currently has it at 28th. Rivals currently says 32nd, but I think Val Martin being unranked may be unjustifiably driving that ranking down. On Rivals, if you look at just the average star rating, NC State SHOULD be ranked in the range of 25-27.

If Dave Doeren & Co. can sustain this level of recruiting in 2019 and beyond, I think NC State football will be taking a big step upwards (ie, consistent top 25 ranking and program).

Also, consider that 4-star Angeline and the potential stud walk-on Kennan Solomon are not accounted for in the class rankings.
After the season the cheaters had and the common knowledge they dont care about football they still had a higher ranked class it doesn't make sense
GuerrillaPack
TheWhiteWolf said:

After the season the cheaters had and the common knowledge they dont care about football they still had a higher ranked class it doesn't make sense
Yes, it's frustrating. I guess that "national brand" (from basketball mostly) is the primary reason for their recruiting success.

It's only very slightly higher, based upon the raw data. But upon closer inspection NC State's class is better, because it's more balanced (between offense and defense).

Almost all of unc-Cheats 4-star players in this class are on the offensive side of the ball. This is an ongoing trend over the last 4-5 years under Fedora, with good offenses and pretty bad defenses. I see Cheats fans on their boards constantly talking about the lack of talent (and even enough bodies) on their D-line. And it doesn't really matter if you have 5 or 6 four-star wide receivers on your roster if you don't have decent QB to throw the ball to them.

toddl
Staff
TheWhiteWolf said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Great class.

Looking at the class rankings, 247 currently has the class ranked at 26th. ESPN currently has it at 28th. Rivals currently says 32nd, but I think Val Martin being unranked may be unjustifiably driving that ranking down. On Rivals, if you look at just the average star rating, NC State SHOULD be ranked in the range of 25-27.

They've had higher ranked recruiting classes every year since 2008. They don't have to have good seasons, they don't have to have good coaches, they don't have to not be under NCAA investigation. They have brand recognition that will pull in a handful of star players without even trying.
Leeroy3366
WolfpackSI said:

If the Soloman is a stud then why is he a walk on? Im seriously curious

Because he turned down D1 offers to walk on...and because State was full up with the 25 limit, so he's gonna try to work and get on scholarship.
Colonel Armstrong
Here's my take on our top targets for 2019:

QB-- Very wide open right now. I think we've offered like 5 new QBs recently which is typically a sign that we're still trying to narrow down which players have serious interest in us.

RB-- Jamious Griffin, Quavaris Crouch, Zonavan Knight

Oline-- Tim McKay (incredibly weak OLine class for NC this year. we probably got the best prospect in the state with McKay)

WR-- JR Walker, Nolan Groulx (Wisconsin commit but I'm sure we'll still recruit him)
Formerly King Leary
Colonel Armstrong
D Line-- Savion Jackson, Josh Harris, CJ Clark, Zovon Lindsay, Christian Rorie

LB -- Drake Thomas, Traveon Freshwater

DB-- Shyheim Battle, Khalid Martin
Formerly King Leary
EthanBarry
Staff
cof17wolf said:

D Line-- Savion Jackson, Josh Harris, CJ Clark, Zovon Lindsay, Christian Rorie

LB -- Drake Thomas, Traveon Freshwater

DB-- Shyheim Battle, Khalid Martin
Tons of defensive talent in NC this year. Could build a very good ACC defense just in the state
mcpack1
What are the odds Crouch stays in state? Would love to see his elite talent in Raleigh but it seems that NC guys at his level have trended to Clemson, UGA, or Bama.
TheWhiteWolf
mcpack1 said:

What are the odds Crouch stays in state? Would love to see his elite talent in Raleigh but it seems that N.C. , guys at his level have trended to Clemson, UGA, or Bama.
I look back at that 2012 class from NC there were several NFL prospects and most of them went out of state including Gurley
mcpack1
A great example. The only solace is that it's better they go out-of-state the tar hole land. But if we could bring some of them to Raleigh....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.