Football Recruiting

482,639 Views | 905 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by toddl
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JSam was used in multiple ways. I think it depends on the skill set of the TE in question as to how we use him.
Cole's commandments:

1) You get out what you put in
2) Treat everyone the right way and stand for something
3) Never accept mediocrity in anything
BackPack
4pack, I agree. TE is the least utilized position in football at NC State. It is a shock that we get good ones as little as they are thrown to... I guess Thad Moss last year proves the point.
desiwolf
4pack said:

desiwolf said:

We definitely need TEs.
why? we don't use them for anything other than blocking. What good TE would want to come to State knowing we don't utilize that position as a receiving option.
We definitely did throw to Thad Moss last year. He dropped some too. JaySam did catch a few from traditional TE position this year. Dont know how good the incoming TEs are in pass catching (Darden, Boselli etc) but a most good football teams have good pass-catching TEs IMO.
ClePack
Gwyn to SC heating up?
EthanBarry
Staff
ClePack said:

Gwyn to SC heating up?
He's visiting there this weekend
ClePack
wkdbigpckfan said:

ClePack said:

Gwyn to SC heating up?
sounds like he'll end up there
GuerrillaPack
ClePack said:

wkdbigpckfan said:

ClePack said:

Gwyn to SC heating up?
Based upon what exactly? That he's visiting there this weekend?
toddl
Staff
Panic.
Colonel Armstrong
toddl said:

Panic.
About what?
toddl
Staff
I dunno. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
TheWhiteWolf
GuerrillaPack said:

ClePack said:

wkdbigpckfan said:

ClePack said:

Gwyn to SC heating up?
Based upon what exactly? That he's visiting there this weekend?
The last three predictions on 24/7 have gone to usc if that means anything
Ripper
Panic is a natural reaction for some Wolfpack fans when an 18 year old kid decides to attend a different university. Why, I have no idea. Good one Toddl. Perhaps Gwyn will come to Raleigh.
toddl
Staff

6/28 - The GoPack roster has been updated to show that all our recruits have enrolled. 20 true freshmen (including the 5 who had enrolled in January) plus juniors Murchison and Griffin.
6/28 - GoPack shows Vernon Grier as switching from WR to CB. He had originally been recruited as a CB but was switched to WR in the spring of 2016 after his true freshman season.
6/29 - JuCo CB Kishawn Miller commits! He will enroll in 2018 as a true junior with 3 to play 2.
7/4 - OL Jalynn Strickland commits!
7/7 - DT Davontae McCrae commits!
8/6 - RSFR OL Bryce Folsom leaves the team.
8/8 - RSJR PK Carson Wise is on scholarship, I think.
8/10 - RSJR RB Brady Bodine earns a scholarship. Maybe just 1 year, maybe it'll be renewed next year, I dunno.
8/12 - RSSR OL Peter Daniel earns a scholarship.
8/13 - FR WR Antoine Thompson and FR DE Kevince Brown are dismissed from the team following an off-the-field incident.
9/4 - Four true freshmen play against USC and get bumped to the next column: WR Emezie, OL Fedd-Jackson, LB Saunders, CB Ingram.
9/4 - SO S Trae Meadows is not currently on the team.
9/4 - JR S Freddie Phillips suffers a season ending injury and will redshirt this season.
9/7 - RSSO DT Quentz Johnson is no longer on the roster.
9/10 - True freshman LB Louis Acceus plays against Marshall and gets bumped to the next column.
9/30 - LB Calvin Hart Jr commits!
10/6 - JuCo DE Joe Babros commits! He will be a true junior for the 2018 season with 3 to play 2. He hopes to enroll in January 2018.
10/9 - JR LB Riley Nicholson leaves the team due to ongoing medical issues.
11/4 - DE Alim McNeill commits!
11/12 - DE Joseph Boletepeli commits!
11/27 - OL Devin Hayes decommits.
11/28 - TE Daevon Robinson decommits.
12/1 - LB Payton Wilson commits!
12/7 - RSFR WR Daeshawn Stephens leaves the team.
12/12 - S Tanner Ingle commits!
packphinsfan
If Gwyn doesnt; oh well. Would`ve loved to have had him. But this is already an awesome class.
packphinsfan
One more quick note on Gwyn and the Chrystal Ball predictions: Right now they are 50% State, 50% Scar. But if you look deeper at the predictors, the guys predicting for State have a higher percentage right, and one of them (a regional scout guy) is 100%. Hopefully he stays 100%.
Thunderhill
Belle is a big get and he is a tackle so should not impact Gwyn who is a guard.
CedarMaronite
Am I lucky or what? I got to meet basically the whole football team and took picture with Chubb Finley coach d etc...I saw this dude that committed to N.C. state today and he was sitting right across from me next to coach Eli and coach David huxtable...I also saw a bunch of other recruits and they all seemed to "fit in" and be comfortable...they all left with 2 or so min before NC State lost tho
DrummerboyWolf
The Staff continues to reel them in. Very big young man and another good get by the Coaches!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
GuerrillaPack
Belle chose the Pack over offers from Florida, Miami, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Kentucky, and others. Impressive.

Apparently we still have about 2-3 spots open. Obviously, hopefully Gwyn fills one of those. Looking at the depth chart, IMO, we need another Defensive Tackle in this class, given all the talk of McNeil and even McCrae ending up as Defensive Ends.
Thunderhill
GuerrillaPack said:

Belle chose the Pack over offers from Florida, Miami, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Kentucky, and others. Impressive.

Apparently we still have about 2-3 spots open. Obviously, hopefully Gwyn fills one of those. Looking at the depth chart, IMO, we need another Defensive Tackle in this class, given all the talk of McNeil and even McCrae ending up as Defensive Ends.
A lot of times guys are DE's as freshmen but DT's by the time they are sophomores. S&C coaches and lot's of bacon help.
EthanBarry
Staff
packphinsfan said:

One more quick note on Gwyn and the Chrystal Ball predictions: Right now they are 50% State, 50% Scar. But if you look deeper at the predictors, the guys predicting for State have a higher percentage right, and one of them (a regional scout guy) is 100%. Hopefully he stays 100%.
I don't put much stock in the crystal ball, but you have to look at when they make their picks. In this case, all of the picks for us are/were old, and the most recent ones all have him going to SC. 3 people picking him to come here a year ago doesn't mean as much as two guys picking him to go to somewhere else this weekend.
TheWhiteWolf
wkdbigpckfan said:

packphinsfan said:

I don't put much stock in the crystal ball, but you have to look at when they make their picks. In this case, all of the picks for us are/were old, and the most recent ones all have him going to SC. 3 people picking him to come here a year ago doesn't mean as much as two guys picking him to go to somewhere else this weekend.
It may also do with the fact that Gwyn has taken several unofficial visits there recently and then the official this past weekend
packphinsfan
Great news (but it aint close to over), Gwyn finished his visit without committing to the Cox. Down to us 2. Will decide soon.
redculler
Roseboro coming back should count as a recruiting win!
packphinsfan
wkdbigpckfan said:

packphinsfan said:

Oh yeah, you are definitely right. Went back and noticed the time frames. Hopefully him leaving without committing means he really likes us, though. He would close it out in style. Is there an early signing period for football? Might we possibly be able to bag this class before regular national signing day?
GuerrillaPack
packphinsfan said:

Oh yeah, you are definitely right. Went back and noticed the time frames. Hopefully him leaving without committing means he really likes us, though. He would close it out in style. Is there an early signing period for football? Might we possibly be able to bag this class before regular national signing day?
Just implemented this year is an early signing period for football, which runs from December 20-22. Virtually everyone who is currently committed is expected to sign on Dec 20th.

Reportedly, Gwyn is expected to make his decision in the next few days and sign during the early signing period. I like the fact that Gwyn was wearing an NC State T-shirt in the press conference after winning the 4A state championship. I think he runs with the Pack.
Colonel Armstrong
Gwyn's been relatively quiet throughout his recruitment process so I don't think anybody really knows who he'll pick. USC fans do seem confident though.

We'll see.
Colonel Armstrong
Daevon Robinson commits to Rutgers.
TheWhiteWolf
Ricky talking about KJ Henry??

Are we still pursuing KJ it looks like he is 100% clempson
Colonel Armstrong
TheWhiteWolf said:

Unless we hire KJ's dad we would have absolutely no shot. He's all Clemson.
WolfpackSI
cof17wolf said:

TheWhiteWolf said:

Unless we hire KJ's dad we would have absolutely no shot. He's all Clemson.

Is his dad a coach?
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Colonel Armstrong
He's the running backs coach at Charlotte right now.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Hiring-father-could-be-factor-in-5-star-KJ-Henrys-decision-112165825
WolfpackSI
cof17wolf said:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Hiring-father-could-be-factor-in-5-star-KJ-Henrys-decision-112165825

Seems like a small price to pay to get a chance at a top-10 player lol. Just sayin....
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Thunderhill
WolfpackSI said:

cof17wolf said:

Seems like a small price to pay to get a chance at a top-10 player lol. Just sayin....
That you Danny Manning?
packphinsfan
Here is the list of everyone that has signed so far from Gopack.com:

Edit to add: Only Tanner, Graves, Gonzalez have signed to this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.