Football Recruiting

482,395 Views | 905 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by toddl
Thunderhill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MikeQuick22 said:

Big pick up with Shyheim Battle committing to the Pack today.

Welcome young man!!

Light It Red!!!
Yep-and 6' 2" corners who can cover are hard to find. Huge for the back end of the defense after so much on the DL. Can you imagine how State may have fared if the DB's were on the same level as the DL's the last few years?
DrummerboyWolf
Thunderhill said:

MikeQuick22 said:

Big pick up with Shyheim Battle committing to the Pack today.

Welcome young man!!

Light It Red!!!
Yep-and 6' 2" corners who can cover are hard to find. Huge for the back end of the defense after so much on the DL. Can you imagine how State may have fared if the DB's were on the same level as the DL's the last few years?
Just for some perspective, this is what I wrote on the premium thread about Coach Doeren's ACC pre-season press conference. Remember it's not always on the DB's and they have to play a lot of one on one and the WR's know where they are going.

And just to make sure, a lot of people have complained about the secondary. This answer that Coach Doeren gave tells you his mindset. You have to stop the run first and those guys are out on an island most of the time. It's a team game, but we are going to stop the run while Coach D is here.

"You know, I'm excited for those guys. I think every year there's -- in this conference there's a huge challenge. I think you've just got to pick your poison on defense in college football. I think you can say that you want to be great in pass defense and then you're giving up a bunch of run plays.

That's just not how I'm wired.

I think our defensive football team and our offensive football team both believe in winning the line of scrimmage, and it starts from a mentality standpoint our identity is play hard, play tough, play together. You don't do that if you don't stop the run, if you can't run the football.

Our coverage, they're going to have one-on-one out there a lot, and we ask a lot of them. Now, we do some things to help them with middle field players and some cover-two, but if you're going to stop the run, your corners are going to have to cover, and in our league, your safety to the field or your nickel to the field is going to have to cover.

And we play against some of the best receivers in college football week in and week out. West Virginia is going to have some of the best receivers in college football, and we play them. Marshall has one of the top receivers in college football, and we play him.

So that's a challenge. It's a lot easier than just, yeah, we'll get that fixed. But our DBs are very athletic. They take it personal. They've got good coaches, and we run a very good scheme, but we're going to stop the run first. I promise you that, and that's just a mentality that we have."

RyanMB
I am beyond excited about Battle. He is the corner I wanted for sure. Does anyone know the overall total we are taking in this class?
NatePait94
Its said the full 25 is to be expected
Thunderhill
As of today, July 27th, does Cord Sandberg have a scholarship offer from NC State or not?
nryanh94
Thunderhill said:

As of today, July 27th, does Cord Sandberg have a scholarship offer from NC State or not?

He wouldn't go on scholarship until January if he went to here or LSU. But it doesn't matter either way the Phillies are paying for his school
Thunderhill
nryanh94 said:

Thunderhill said:

He wouldn't go on scholarship until January if he went to here or LSU. But it doesn't matter either way the Phillies are paying for his school
Thanks for the info. I didn't know the Phillies would be paying. Still confusing that Auburn has offered a scholarship with that being true.
nryanh94
Thunderhill said:

nryanh94 said:

Thunderhill said:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the Phillies would be paying. Still confusing that Auburn has offered a scholarship with that being true.

When a kid signs with the mlb out of HS, they're usually offered around like 100k in stipend form if they choose to go back to school after their career
Thunderhill
With Dawkins commitment, does it mean Jacoby Jones is unlikely to come to State? Is there no more room in the inn?
WolfpackKaraoke
What's the deal with Freshwater? With offers from so many big schools, what has so drastically shifted to make ECU the front runner for his decision today? Was this primarily due to academics and the fact that ECU will accept partial qualifiers? Would he flip on his decision if he can get his grades up this fall?
Struttingwolf96
I was hoping he would end up with the Pack myself, but everything I heard from others was not to expect it because his grades were that bad. So for him to end up at ecu is more than likely because of academics. Would have really liked for Freshwater to get his grades in order during the season & summer school then come & join the 2019 class, but looks like that ship has sailed off with the pirates.
WolfpackKaraoke
Thanks for your input and thoughts! I figured grades must have been the issue after showing such strong interest in NC State and others, then suddenly this summer there being a significant shift and EZU being the front runner. I hate he won't be running with the Pack, but lord knows he should be able to join that ECU squad and be an impact player for them right away. EZU snagged one here!
nryanh94
Struttingwolf96 said:

I was hoping he would end up with the Pack myself, but everything I heard from others was not to expect it because his grades were that bad. So for him to end up at ecu is more than likely because of academics. Would have really liked for Freshwater to get his grades in order during the season & summer school then come & join the 2019 class, but looks like that ship has sailed off with the pirates.

ECU no longer allows partial qualifiers, so what it burned down to is, was the staff willing to take a chance and hope he gets his grades together. At the end of the day the answer was no, all of those big time schools you see that offered backed off and the offers weren't really commitable, if you follow TF on twitter you'll notice the day that everyone got their official offer letters he didn't really post any. Most staffs just weren't willing to risk it.
RyanMB
So with the Freshwater ship sailed that leaves us with 4 slots left in the 2019 class. I know people think we have a good shot at Walker and I do too. So who do you guys think we have a legit shot at filling the remaining 3 slots?
Struttingwolf96
Just a guess, hopefully a QB( Fomby?), maybe the WR Washington out of FL, & it would be awesome to get LB Crouch out of NC, but if not him probably go juco, prep, or a sleeper HS prospect that comes out of nowhere & has an excellent Senior year. The coaches may even save it for next year & give it to a walk-on who deserves it if they do well this year
RyanMB
Struttingwolf96 said:

Just a guess, hopefully a QB( Fomby?), maybe the WR Washington out of FL, & it would be awesome to get LB Crouch out of NC, but if not him probably go juco, prep, or a sleeper HS prospect that comes out of nowhere & has an excellent Senior year. The coaches may even save it for next year & give it to a walk-on who deserves it if they do well this year
Yeah I would love to get Crouch but I think that is a long shot. I forgot about Washington. Thanks
RyanMB
Have we even offered Fomby?
DrummerboyWolf
RyanMB said:

Have we even offered Fomby?
No.
williewolf
Struttingwolf96 said:

seems like it would be beneficial to have a couple scholarships for flips from other programs where coach is on thin ice or perhaps an off-radar HS guy who has a super senior year

whalepack1
it sure is quiet. a little noise please.
nryanh94
whalepack1 said:

Hard to have noise when you only have 3 spots left in August
MikeQuick22
nryanh94 said:

whalepack1 said:

Hard to have noise when you only have 3 spots left in August

Make that 2 spots. Welcome Bailey Hockman!
RyanMB
With what has happened with the QB situations at Clemson and Bama do you guys think that guys who aren't the #1 or #2 ranked prospect at their position will start going elsewhere? The top programs are showing that no matter how well you play they will recruit over you and replace you without thinking twice.Maybe I am wrong but I think this is going to cause some of the upper level talent to spread out more than it has in the recent past.
MarOdoxPhoenician7
We are expecting a commitment from walker in early October correct? That means we have one spot left...what position and who?
RyanMB
MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

We are expecting a commitment from walker in early October correct? That means we have one spot left...what position and who?
I have no inside knowledge just have a feeling that the last spot will go to a juco or grad transfer or get held over to next year. It's a long shot but I would love to see Kelly Bryant come in as a grad transfer.
MarOdoxPhoenician7
What is the chance of getting bryant?
RyanMB
MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

I think we would be a great place for him. Solid O line, extremely deep at WR, and a proven track record for developing NFL QBs. Plus a chance to stick it to Clemson next year. I don't really know the chances but I would think we have a shot.
MarOdoxPhoenician7
Not chance but I mean like we already have 3 other dudes
I would love to get him omg but like how?
RyanMB
MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

Well it's not like we have a returning starter and I'm sure DD promised no one anything. To me the starting job is wide open and the best man will win.
nryanh94
RyanMB said:

MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

Well it's not like we have a returning starter and I'm sure DD promised no one anything. To me the starting job is wide open and the best man will win.

I'm sure Bryant is going to want to go somewhere where he's told the best man will win out.

Dude wants to be promised the starting job and likely why we won't pursue
WolfpackSI
I've never been too impressed with Kelly as a passer. Theres a lot of times when Clemson couldn't score because Kelly just couldn't get the ball out to his receivers. I would rather go with Hockman who seems to have a cannon.
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!
Thunderhill
MarOdoxPhoenician7 said:

About the same as the chances DD wants him-zero. Bryant will not be coming to State. Look for a strong FCS team to try for him-he will have his pick.
NatePait94
A qb from a division opponent transferring to our school is a funny joke. Or any position for that matter. When was the last time a kid transferred into our program from another school in the atlantic?
1985 NCSU Grad
Well... ND State is a possible landing spot for Bryant. Dave and the staff recruited him and wanted him out of HS..he is also a great fit for our offense with experience....do not be surprised if we chase and are considered seriously...interest has been fished already.
WolfpackSI
NatePait94 said:

A qb from a division opponent transferring to our school is a funny joke. Or any position for that matter. When was the last time a kid transferred into our program from another school in the atlantic?

Schools have always put pretty strict transfer restrictions on player but recently the trend has been to allow the kid to go wherever he wants. Thats why you havent seen it much and will see it more going forward
NCSU ChE '13
Go pack!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.