PGA Golf Tour vs LIV Golf

43,180 Views | 558 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Packchem91
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone else keeping up with all of this going on about the Saudi-sponsored LIV Tour trying to take players out of the PGA Tour?

The golf media in particular and sports media in general have been having a genuine hissy fit for months now because of the "blood money" from the Saudis.
But do they get this upset with the Olympics in China? Or the NBA involvement in the same?

I'm not a fan of it, mainly because I want to see the best players in one place....I even get the calling out of the fact of who backs this, but the vitriol sure has seemed excessive. DJ got offered $125mm guaranteed and apparently Phil got offered $200mm guaranteed.

I "guarantee" any golf writer who was offered north of $100mm ensured to come cover the LIV would be buying a Saudi-soccer jersey at the airport on his flight out to begin his loving coverage.
engineercoach
I don't have a problem with guys going to make money. DJ has made a career $75 million and he signed for $125 million. I don't know many people who would pass up that sort of pay increase. I think if successful, you'll see some more big names head over.
BBW12OG
Do you have a problem with the NBA being China's beeyatch???

How much do they make off of China?

How are the minorities in China treated?

Do you think the concentration camps, forced labor, sterilization of female children in China, executions of citizens that speak out against the CCP coincide with American values?

That's what the issue is all about. Saudi Arabia murdered Kashogi and anyone that aligns with Saudi Arabia becomes a pariah.

But yet the NBA, LeFraud "Race Baiter" James is considered a hero to the left in America. As long as you are a lefty with the magical "D" beside your name you can do and say anything because you are considered a "progressive." Even make millions of dollars off of a country that murders tens of thousands of their own citizens every year.

Values am I right?
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Packchem91
engineercoach said:

I don't have a problem with guys going to make money. DJ has made a career $75 million and he signed for $125 million. I don't know many people who would pass up that sort of pay increase. I think if successful, you'll see some more big names head over.
With those guaranteed contracts, I'm guessing you'll see some name players wondering, "why didn't i do that?
wilmwolf
I have been following it some. The reaction of the golf media to it has been strange for sure, though like all media there is a lot of group think going on in that community, so even if a media person was ambivalent about it, I doubt they would speak up. I get what happened with the Saudi's and the journalist, but it's not as though that is the only country in the world of sports who has permanently silenced a critical member of the media, among any number of other human rights abuses. Those things seem to get ignored in some cases, so there's certainly some hypocrisy at play there. I don't begrudge players looking to secure the bag, and I don't necessarily begrudge reporters not being happy with it, but it's been a little over the top. I thought at first that it was because it was Mickelson involved, who brings about strong reactions in the sport sometimes, and Norman who isn't really a media darling necessarily, and Johnson who has some past rumblings of indiscretion. But you've got guys like Na, who was pretty much universally liked, and the reaction is still the same. I personally don't think the thing has a shot in hell in being successful,, but I also don't really understand how many of the lower profile events on the PGA tour stay solvent either, so who knows. Of course, I watch golf, and sports in general, less than I ever have these days, and I don't gamble on sports, so I'm probably not the intended audience.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
BBW12OG
According to Mad Dog on XM Tiger was offered upper 9 figures to join....

Here's a link for those who doubt the FACTS..

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-liv-golf-offer-2022
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
PackFansXL
Packchem91 said:

engineercoach said:

With those guaranteed contracts, I'm guessing you'll see some name players wondering, "why didn't i do that?
Agreed. Is that a good thing?

What would a nation have to do to cause you personally to turn down millions of dollars to participate in something they sponsored?
jadawson
I dont have some big problem with guys getting the bag and going over to that tour. I just want them to be honest and say im doing it because this will set my children's children up for life. Reading statement's from Kevin Na and earlier stuff from Phil about how they are doing this for the good of the game of golf makes my eyes roll out of my head.
jadawson
BBW12OG said:

Pretty sure Jack Nicklaus was offered about 100mil to take on the forward facing role Greg Norman is currently doing and Jack turned it down.

Tiger and Jack are some of the few who've played the game who can say they only care about their legacy at this point.
BBW12OG
jadawson said:

BBW12OG said:

Pretty sure Jack Nicklaus was offered about 100mil to take on the forward facing role Greg Norman is currently doing and Jack turned it down.

Tiger and Jack are some of the few who've played the game who can say they only care about their legacy at this point.
I agree with both of your statements. Tiger's grandkids' grandkids should be good to go.

As far as the money grab goes... Hell yes. Pay me. Plus the PGA is so damn watered down these days and the "rules" have limited the **** talking, beer drinking and general "fun" on the course.

They should look at the sport that was formerly known as NASCAR... at one point it was pushing the NFL for popularity. What happened?

Third generation owners and going "woke." Now they will be officially "broke" in 2-3 years.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
910wolf
I've got no problem with the players. If someone is willing to pay you that money, go for it.

However, as a golf fan, this whole thing bums me out. I want to see the best play against the best and not be spread out among multiple tours. Plus, the LIV Golf format is not appealing to me.
Packchem91
PackFansXL said:

Packchem91 said:

engineercoach said:

Agreed. Is that a good thing?

What would a nation have to do to cause you personally to turn down millions of dollars to participate in something they sponsored?
As I said in my initial post, my main concern is as a golf fan and no longer seeing the best fields in a tournament. As for the individuals....I don't blame anyone for looking out after their best interests. No one else will do it for them.

As to your 2nd question....it's a good one. I mean, its not even like you have to live there and play all the events there. I would (and clearly many in the liberal-favored NBA) take $$ from China backed enterprises as well if I could control my own involvement.
Packchem91
wilmwolf80 said:

I have been following it some. The reaction of the golf media to it has been strange for sure, though like all media there is a lot of group think going on in that community, so even if a media person was ambivalent about it, I doubt they would speak up.
I think this is 100% spot. Specific sports media is most definitely a fraternity. Twitter has both made that clear and exaggerated it. And that also exaggerates the response to news events and shades the actual normalized view because you only get ones lens.
And you are right...who amongst that fraternity is going to speak out and get ostracized too
engineercoach
No surprise they tried to get Tiger. Like tiger has said himself, he only cares about 4 events at this point and the rest are practice. No need for him to even risk further injury at this point.
BBW12OG
Well.....

Guess who is playing on Thursday....?

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34048152/phil-mickelson-added-field-first-saudi-backed-liv-golf-invitational-beginning-thursday-london
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

Well.....

Guess who is playing on Thursday....?

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34048152/phil-mickelson-added-field-first-saudi-backed-liv-golf-invitational-beginning-thursday-london
Tiger? Did I guess right??
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
Steve Videtich
Who's televising it?
jadawson
Steve Videtich said:

Who's televising it?

Not televised at this point. Live-streamed over YouTube and their own website I think
packwest
I don't see how this is financially sustainable unless the Saudis are just going to dump money in it year after year...

The premier league will remain in the United States with all the TV eyeballs and sponsorship money. I predict this league folds (or becomes a shadow of its current iteration) within the next five years. The Saudis have F U money, but I doubt they're willing to subsidize the lifestyles of American and European golfers without significant benefit over any extended period of time.
Packchem91
Steve Videtich said:

Who's televising it?
And who'd watch it? I mean Phil and DJ are TV draws of course, but I'm not interested in watching them up against what that overall field looks like or when the stakes are huge (like a Ryder Cup)
Wolfer79
910wolf

Looks like team logos from a bad video game
FlossyDFlynt
Hope all these guys got paid up front. I dont see how this can last in the current landscape
statefan91
Isn't it sponsored by oil money? There's no end in sight there, think they'll be fine.
Packchem91
910wolf said:

Looks like team logos from a bad video game
Made me think back to when played Backyard Baseball video game with my kids
Wolfer79
Golfers who have joined the LIV Golf Series will be allowed to the play the US Open, even if they have resigned from the PGA Tour

jadawson
Wolfer79 said:

Golfers who have joined the LIV Golf Series will be allowed to the play the US Open, even if they have resigned from the PGA Tour

None of the majors are run by the pga tour so they are free to do their own thing. The us open was specific in its statement though about the 2022 open due qualifying standards already being set. I wonder what they will do for future years
TheStorm
So, it can now be debated as to whether the entire premise of creating the new league (or tour) is a result of Mickelson's gambling addiction and his resulting financial troubles... doesn't surprise me in the least if I'm being honest.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34056649/phil-mickelson-discuss-pga-tour-issues-liv-debut-nears

Mickelson confirmed he has been trying to address some of the behavior -- specifically his excessive gambling -- that he felt was negatively affecting his personal life.

"I've been handling it for many years now," Mickelson said. "Me and my family, we've been financially secure for -- I can't even remember for how long now. But it was certainly going to be threatened if I didn't address this. And I did."

Near the end of the news conference, Mickelson couldn't resist cracking a small smile when asked if he was really receiving $200 million from LIV Golf for his participation in the start-up league.

"I feel that contract agreements should be private," Mickelson said. "Doesn't seem to be the case, but it should be."
caryking
The golf league appears to be the USFL of golf...
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
packgrad
With crazy money.
PackBacker07
I would think the PGA Championship won't allow these guys to compete. The Masters, who knows since they do whatever they want.
Y'all means ALL.
DrummerboyWolf
Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed reportedly ready to join, with Rickie Fowler a possibility.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-bryson-dechambeau-patrick-reed-112357443.html
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
DrummerboyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I have been following it some. The reaction of the golf media to it has been strange for sure, though like all media there is a lot of group think going on in that community, so even if a media person was ambivalent about it, I doubt they would speak up. I get what happened with the Saudi's and the journalist, but it's not as though that is the only country in the world of sports who has permanently silenced a critical member of the media, among any number of other human rights abuses. Those things seem to get ignored in some cases, so there's certainly some hypocrisy at play there. I don't begrudge players looking to secure the bag, and I don't necessarily begrudge reporters not being happy with it, but it's been a little over the top. I thought at first that it was because it was Mickelson involved, who brings about strong reactions in the sport sometimes, and Norman who isn't really a media darling necessarily, and Johnson who has some past rumblings of indiscretion. But you've got guys like Na, who was pretty much universally liked, and the reaction is still the same. I personally don't think the thing has a shot in hell in being successful,, but I also don't really understand how many of the lower profile events on the PGA tour stay solvent either, so who knows. Of course, I watch golf, and sports in general, less than I ever have these days, and I don't gamble on sports, so I'm probably not the intended audience.
Many of the journalists, including Eamon Lynch and Christine Brennan are ripping Mickelson. Where were the journalists ripping Lebron James and the NBA for their foray into China, which is at least as bad as the Saudi's. I am a Mickelson guy, but none of these journalists could get a crowd of 3 to watch them write. Mickelson can draw thousands at almost anytime.

They love to chastise him for his gambling. I am sure they have some things in their closet that they don't want revealed and nobody cares anyway. It's Phil's money. His family is financially secure and has been for a long time according to Phil. He can do what the Hell he wants with his money. Same as the Saudi's.
DrummerboyWolf
Steve Videtich said:

Who's televising it?
You can watch on youtube, Facebook, and Livgolf.com. Not sure if you have to subscribe or not on any of those platforms. They start at 9 am EDT or 2pm BST(British Summer Time) and it will be a shotgun start so everybody tees off at the same time.
Wolfer79
Exclusive: Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed join Saudi-backed LIV Golf Series | @jcorrigangolf https://t.co/Fv6rNjAPUY

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.