NCAA Baseball Regionals all Regional Sites (Pack9 #10 seed)

105,276 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Wolfer79
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alex Gee said:

I don't mind being a "sunshine guy" (because things are, in fact, actually fine!) and will always be the poster child for choosing to just enjoy things 99% of the timeā€¦

That said it would be pretty fun to do an "old takes exposed" from some of these threads this year leading to this point lol. Quick thoughts after driving home:

2021 team will always be special. 2020 is often forgotten and should be talked about significantly more, that was probably EA's best team. 2013 featured arguably the 2 best and maybe most important players in NC State history, certainly post 2000.

This team is unique to those and I think it's why, now that more folks are tuning in (a good thing), there's a different buzz at the ballpark and around the guys. If you look at stats and make judgements you're just going to be wrong. Straight up. I'm not anti analytics by any stretch, but put the calculators down here. State is 13-2 in San Highfill starts. We have 2 guys hitting over .300, Hogue would make 3. No weekend starter has a sub 5 ERA. DRock is over 5, Consiglio right at 5, Dudan at 4.15.

But none of that matters. I watch a ton of college baseball and there's not a pitching staff of teams left that I'd rather have than State's. These guys freaking battle every night and do not get rattled. They've seen the best of the best and beat it consistently and without doubt. The entire season.

Would it be cool to have a Condon, or Honeycutt, or Cannarella etc. Sure. But, man, 1-9 I'm not sure you find a group that is as well rounded as we can run out. Have won games with the long ball. Have won games with small ball. Have won games where we couldn't hit but were all over the base paths because of plate discipline. It's truly remarkable. Oh, and this crew plays some insane defense. Serrano is phenomenal in center. The middle of the infield with Heavner and Butterworth is something special. And Cozart.. what else can be said about him?

Why not us? Run it back here with this team. I encourage folks to look around college baseball tomorrow and pose that question. Nobody left that we can't beat in a BO3 or double elimination. Special group. Thankful to play a small roll in talking about it.
Nice.

At what point will people start to finally trust Logan Whitaker in a big game? I mean he's just done it year after year when we've needed it. He's a damn dude.

ClePack
For real. Dudes like gee, cltwolf, and wilm wolf deserve some credit for believing and seeing what this team was capable of from the start. I'm sure there are others, too
Pilamengineer
So with Arkansas losing, if UNC or Oklahoma loses, we end up hosting the Super Regional, right?
DrummerboyWolf
Pilamengineer said:

So with Arkansas losing, if UNC or Oklahoma loses, we end up hosting the Super Regional, right?
No, we are going to Georgia for the Super Regionals. All Regional matchups are set against another region. 1 with 16, 2 with 15, and so on. I believe we were #10 and Georgia is #7 so if GT had won last night then won today we would be hosting. Since GT did not get it done last night, UGA hosts N. C. State.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Pack31
DrummerboyWolf said:

Pilamengineer said:

No, we are going to Georgia for the Super Regionals. All Regional matchups are set against another region. 1 with 16, 2 with 15, and so on. I believe we were #10 and Georgia is #7 so if GT had won last night then won today we would be hosting. Since GT did not get it done last night, UGA hosts N. C. State.

Technically GT would have had to win last night and again today correct?
GeeBee
Alex Gee said:

I don't mind being a "sunshine guy" (because things are, in fact, actually fine!) and will always be the poster child for choosing to just enjoy things 99% of the timeā€¦

That said it would be pretty fun to do an "old takes exposed" from some of these threads this year leading to this point lol. Quick thoughts after driving home:

2021 team will always be special. 2020 is often forgotten and should be talked about significantly more, that was probably EA's best team. 2013 featured arguably the 2 best and maybe most important players in NC State history, certainly post 2000.

This team is unique to those and I think it's why, now that more folks are tuning in (a good thing), there's a different buzz at the ballpark and around the guys. If you look at stats and make judgements you're just going to be wrong. Straight up. I'm not anti analytics by any stretch, but put the calculators down here. State is 13-2 in San Highfill starts. We have 2 guys hitting over .300, Hogue would make 3. No weekend starter has a sub 5 ERA. DRock is over 5, Consiglio right at 5, Dudan at 4.15.

But none of that matters. I watch a ton of college baseball and there's not a pitching staff of teams left that I'd rather have than State's. These guys freaking battle every night and do not get rattled. They've seen the best of the best and beat it consistently and without doubt. The entire season.

Would it be cool to have a Condon, or Honeycutt, or Cannarella etc. Sure. But, man, 1-9 I'm not sure you find a group that is as well rounded as we can run out. Have won games with the long ball. Have won games with small ball. Have won games where we couldn't hit but were all over the base paths because of plate discipline. It's truly remarkable. Oh, and this crew plays some insane defense. Serrano is phenomenal in center. The middle of the infield with Heavner and Butterworth is something special. And Cozart.. what else can be said about him?

Why not us? Run it back here with this team. I encourage folks to look around college baseball tomorrow and pose that question. Nobody left that we can't beat in a BO3 or double elimination. Special group. Thankful to play a small roll in talking about it.

Great post.
ChemE94
Just scanning regionsal box scores, looks like all 3 of uga's starting pitchers this weekend were righties, as is their ace closer? Other than we should pitch around condon, anyone no anything about uga?
DrummerboyWolf
Pack31 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

Pilamengineer said:

Technically GT would have had to win last night and again today correct?
Yes, GT would have had to beat Georgia last night and today.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
castlewood107
South Carolina fires their coach shortly after they got home.

Seems like they are going to make short work of this and hire Louisville coach McConnell, Chris Pollard or Walter.
CLTWolf
castlewood107 said:

Seems like they are going to make short work of this and hire Louisville coach McConnell, Chris Pollard or Walter.
McConnell wouldn't surprise me at all as it seems like he's had one foot out the door in Louisville for a while now.
SportManagementEngineer
CLTWolf said:

castlewood107 said:

McConnell wouldn't surprise me at all as it seems like he's had one foot out the door in Louisville for a while now.
Feels like UL coaches in every sport always have one foot out the door.

Would love to see them hire Pollard away but I think he's committed to Duke and they have committed to building facility upgrades for him.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

castlewood107 said:

I figured McConnell would be a lifer there at this point, guess not.
CLTWolf
Jtilley said:

CLTWolf said:

castlewood107 said:

I figured McConnell would be a lifer there at this point, guess not.

I think there were/are some differences between him and the admin there. No sure exactly but he's been showing up on lists for openings lately where he previously wasn't. He may stick it out, no idea.
tau06
Alex Gee said:

Per usual a really good post here. Unlike Alex I am a Stats guy and as a graduate of our great University's Statistics department I know as well as most that the stats are great and matter until they don't. You can make statistics say about anything you want them to say. College baseball in general just isn't a large enough sample size (especially against quality opponents and games that really are competitive and matter) to really be able to take a true statistical view on players. This isn't MLB where you have 162 and are going against other pros every night. Each apperance for a pitcher or at bat for a hitter isn't the same. There has to be some statistical look at the players (at some point your numbers are what they are) but when you can compare the eye test along with numbers you get a much better view of the players you have.

For example, our man DRock Derrick Smith. Smith is sitting at a 5.04 ERA currently in 22 appearances and 25 innings. If you take out 2 appearances (2 appearances in a row a week apart) you are looking at a guy with 20 appearances and 23.1 innings pitched who has a 2.33 ERA and is sporting a As he's gotten more appearances he's found his true normal (BAA under .200, K rate pushing 40%). His ERA would normalize in time and match what what we are all seeing with our own eyes the last month and a half. I suspect if you looked at a guy like Sosa and his results independent of he massive crazy slump he had you would see the same. And that can be explained by getting mono/sickness in middle of year and having to basically reset while guys you are facing are locked in. See the same issue with guys who miss spring training in MLB etc. It's hard to come back in and be good at baseball at any level if you haven't been seeing it.

We have a damn good team and Avent has us firing at our best at the right time. Need a few more timely hits next weekend and I like our chances to go to Omaha and make some noise. Go Pack!
tau06
ChemE94 said:

Just scanning regionsal box scores, looks like all 3 of uga's starting pitchers this weekend were righties, as is their ace closer? Other than we should pitch around condon, anyone no anything about uga?
The national board over on another site was saying they had a good pitcher who had been hurt pitch one batter at somepoint last night and hurt himself worse or be done for year. Not sure who that may be but sounded like it could impact our matchup. Looks like Charlie Goldstein if i'm not mistaken
Kmcpack
As much as people hate avent leaving pitchers in a little too long sometimes it has to be better than ecu giving guys the hook every 2-3 batters. Plus their games are painful to watch with all the pitching changes.
SportManagementEngineer
Kmcpack said:

As much as people hate avent leaving pitchers in a little too long sometimes it has to be better than ecu giving guys the hook every 2-3 batters. Plus their games are painful to watch with all the pitching changes.
I think that's more to do with ECU just being out of competent pitchers. And this is exactly why you throw your ace in game one.
Tomas93
Great post here, lots of good points. I am usually a stats guy but you are right....somehow they just don't tell the whole story about our team this year.
wilmwolf
SportManagementEngineer said:

Kmcpack said:

I think that's more to do with ECU just being out of competent pitchers. And this is exactly why you throw your ace in game one.

Yup. Doesn't matter what arms you hold back, if you are in the losers bracket having to play five games in four days, your pitching is going to be a MASH unit.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Buzz
tau06 said:

ChemE94 said:

The national board over on another site was saying they had a good pitcher who had been hurt pitch one batter at somepoint last night and hurt himself worse or be done for year. Not sure who that may be but sounded like it could impact our matchup. Looks like Charlie Goldstein if i'm not mistaken
Yeah, I switched over to the UGA/GT game as soon as ours was over and happened to catch the pitch he was hurt on...didn't look good. Appeared to grab his elbow and was in a lot of pain. He was a lefty, too.
Alex Gee
Staff
Buzz said:

tau06 said:

ChemE94 said:

Yeah, I switched over to the UGA/GT game as soon as ours was over and happened to catch the pitch he was hurt on...didn't look good. Appeared to grab his elbow and was in a lot of pain. He was a lefty, too.
They finished the game by bringing back their Friday guy who had thrown 81 pitches 48 hrs prior. That tells me a little something about their depth also.
SportManagementEngineer
This ecu game is a mess.
Bas2020
I'm all for college baseball players having good spirited fun but some of these teams are just classless . Namely Tenn and ECU. Just cringe worthy antics .
StateFan2001
wilmwolf said:

Kmcpack said:

Yup. Doesn't matter what arms you hold back, if you are in the losers bracket having to play five games in four days, your pitching is going to be a MASH unit.
Seems to be working out ok for them at the moment. Just curious, would you have thrown Yeasavage in game 1 with Wake and Burns looming?
Jtilley

This ecu game is a mess.
ECU already thrown four pitchers in five innings. Current guy threw 75 pitches Friday night.
Jtilley

This ecu game is a mess.
I just saw the the Evansville lowlights, good grief they have had some melt downs.
WilsonWolf
And the Purple Aces take the lead
Jtilley
WilsonWolf said:

I'm amazed they have left this kid in this long. Kid is on absolute fumes.
WilsonWolf
Jtilley said:

WilsonWolf said:

Definitely. Must not feel too good about what they have left behind him.
Jtilley
ECU fans going to blow a gasket if they lose this game.
Pbacker
Why dont they build a big boy fence in the outfield rather than little league.
Alex Gee
Staff
WilsonWolf said:

Jtilley said:

WilsonWolf said:

During the AAC tournament, Godwin mentioned that they would have had to throw their first baseman and a backup infielder in the championship.

I think they're in a better place health wise then they were last week, but that bullpen is on life support.
Wolfpack91
ECU down one and down to last three outs in top of 9th.

Let's go Aces.
Jtilley
This ump is ready to go home.
WilsonWolf
Alex Gee said:

WilsonWolf said:

Jtilley said:

WilsonWolf said:

During the AAC tournament, Godwin mentioned that they would have had to throw their first baseman and a backup infielder in the championship.

I think they're in a better place health wise then they were last week, but that bullpen is on life support.
You hate to see it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.