NCAA Baseball Regionals all Regional Sites (Pack9 #10 seed)

105,274 Views | 1370 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Wolfer79
Pack31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pblanks said:

The "win the game in front of you" mentality is a silly argument. If that's the case, why not close with Smith in the 9th tonight?

I think questioning using one of your best arms up 7 during a regional that can be 4 or 5 games is fair game. Saying it's complaining is dismissive of something that should be a conversation.

Great win, beat cocks.

Because we were able to save other arms, hold him to 30, and not give Bryant any breathing room. I saw us start handing out runs in the VT game using our lesser arms late. And it was a meaningless game. Whats 15 more pitches going to do? He will be available Sunday. Same as if he hadn't pitched really. Prob good for 40-50 pitches at least then
James Henderson
Staff
MoCoWolf said:

I think some of yall are forgetting that Regional Weekend is PEAK internet baseball expert season. They live for this. Don't go to a single game at the Doak, and wait to ***** about everything, One of my favorite times of year.
I guess my issue with this take is folks now following is better than not following and I think the decisions of a baseball manager can probably be nitpicked as much as any coach we cover.

We don't have to agree on how they handle things guys. It will be okay. Elliott and his staff are big boys.
poexcuse
wilmwolf said:

Some of y'all would complain about a blow job. Jesus. Great win. Let's get another tomorrow.
Using "blow job" and Jesus in same sentence is……..?
James Henderson
Staff
Pack31 said:

pblanks said:

The "win the game in front of you" mentality is a silly argument. If that's the case, why not close with Smith in the 9th tonight?

I think questioning using one of your best arms up 7 during a regional that can be 4 or 5 games is fair game. Saying it's complaining is dismissive of something that should be a conversation.

Great win, beat cocks.

Because we were able to save other arms, hold him to 30, and not give Bryant any breathing room. I saw us start handing out runs in the VT game using our lesser arms late. And it was a meaningless game. Whats 15 more pitches going to do? He will be available Sunday. Same as if he hadn't pitched really. Prob good for 40-50 pitches at least then
My issue with pitching Dudan isn't the 15 more pitches, its you shouldn't go to him at all up 5 in the seventh against Bryant.

That looked like a Little League game for him, as it should have. I'd prefer to use our best "stuff" guy against USC's lineup as much as possible, which could be two appearances, and maybe they do go back to him tonight.

We'll see.
CLTWolf
poexcuse said:

wilmwolf said:

Some of y'all would complain about a blow job. Jesus. Great win. Let's get another tomorrow.

Hilarious?
Travlnwolf
Bryant put up a lot of runs this season. Who knows what would've happened if Avent had brought in someone else and Bryant had scored a couple of runs?

At the least refrain from criticizing the staff while the Pack is winning.

StateFan2001
James Henderson said:

MoCoWolf said:

I think some of yall are forgetting that Regional Weekend is PEAK internet baseball expert season. They live for this. Don't go to a single game at the Doak, and wait to ***** about everything, One of my favorite times of year.
I guess my issue with this take is folks now following is better than not following and I think the decisions of a baseball manager can probably be nitpicked as much as any coach we cover.

We don't have to agree on how they handle things guys. It will be okay. Elliott and his staff are big boys.

Amen
StateFan2001
James Henderson said:

Pack31 said:

pblanks said:

Great win, beat cocks.

My issue with pitching Dudan isn't the 15 more pitches, its you shouldn't go to him at all up 5 in the seventh against Bryant.

That looked like a Little League game for him, as it should have. I'd prefer to use our best "stuff" guy against USC's lineup as much as possible, which could be two appearances, and maybe they do go back to him tonight.

We'll see.

Yup nailed it.
StateFan2001
It's ok to have critical takes on what transpired. Like James said the staff are big boys. They can handle it.
wilmwolf
Dudan came in up 5 with a guy on base. If you bring in a different guy there, maybe they go yard, and now you're in a three run game. Looking at the scores from yesterday, a LOT of higher seeds lost or played in very close games. We could've won a closer game having lesser guys pitch, but why mess around and find out? We still have 6 of our top 7 pitchers available today, if you can't win two games with 6 of your best pitchers left, then none of it matters.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf said:

Dudan came in up 5 with a guy on base. If you bring in a different guy there, maybe they go yard, and now you're in a three run game. Looking at the scores from yesterday, a LOT of higher seeds lost or played in very close games. We could've won a closer game having lesser guys pitch, but why mess around and find out? We still have 6 of our top 7 pitchers available today, if you can't win two games with 6 of your best pitchers left, then none of it matters.

It's almost like people around here didn't pay attention to all the close games yesterday where the 1 (or 2) seeds had to win in walk off fashion after throwing their best guys in high leverage situations. We're over here complaining about a true FR getting some easy run super stress free not affecting his availability the rest of the weekend at all.

What are we doing? Haha
Wolfpacklife
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

It's almost like people around here didn't pay attention to all the close games yesterday where the 1 (or 2) seeds had to win in walk off fashion after throwing their best guys in high leverage situations. We're over here complaining about a true FR getting some easy run super stress free not affecting his availability the rest of the weekend at all.

What are we doing? Haha

Shoot exactly! I'm just happy to win. We could have been one of the many upsets yesterday. Or nail biters
Pack Grad married to Pack Grad

James Henderson
Staff
wilmwolf said:

You can always go to Dudan later if those things happen. Let Bryant cut it to 2 and then go to Dudan if you need to and it's not like we were done scoring.

From that point on we scored two more runs as well so it ended up being a 7-run win vs. the doomsday scenario of Bryant scoring 5 to tie it.

I'd agree with that last line if we definitively only had to play 2 more games. You may have to play 4.

It's like we want to get be in a game Monday saying, "Well, we have no pitching left."
James Henderson
Staff
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

What are we doing? Haha

Bro those teams were in tight games throughout or had to come from behind late.

How many of them were up 7-1 in the 7th?

I'd rather have had Dudan full go tonight for USC's lineup and still be able to hold Consiglio if needed for Sunday/Monday because I like the Whitaker/Consiglio pairing. I don't like throwing Consiglio with Fritton.

But we'll see how it plays out and hopefully it doesn't matter. Watching Dudan last night was like watching Billy Madison play basketball. No need.
tau06
James Henderson said:

wilmwolf said:

You can always go to Dudan later if those things happen. Let Bryant cut it to 2 and then go to Dudan if you need to and it's not like we were done scoring.

From that point on we scored two more runs as well so it ended up being a 7-run win vs. the doomsday scenario of Bryant scoring 5 to tie it.

I'd agree with that last line if we definitively only had to play 2 more games. You may have to play 4.

It's like we want to get be in a game Monday saying, "Well, we have no pitching left."

Nobody has any pitching left for a Monday game lol
wilmwolf
James Henderson said:

wilmwolf said:

I don't think any staff manages their pitching thinking about what to they'll do if they have to play Monday. Time and time again, it has been shown that in the regional, you have to win the game you're playing and figure out the next one when it gets here. At this point, if we have to play more than two more games, you might even be able to bring Highfill back for an inning, it's all hands on deck at that point, and if you get to that point, the other team is probably in the same boat anyway.

Also, when you say it's not like we were done scoring, you say that with the benefit of knowing we did score more runs. During the game, you don't get the benefit of knowing what you're going to do. There was zero guarantee we would continue to score. It's very easy to criticize decisions when you have the benefit of hindsight.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
James Henderson
Staff
tau06 said:

James Henderson said:

wilmwolf said:

Nobody has any pitching left for a Monday game lol
There aren't teams who can pitch a 4th game? I'm confused by this.
PossumJenkins
We went to lesser arms vs va tech up 10. It was less than ideal.
James Henderson
Staff
wilmwolf said:

James Henderson said:

wilmwolf said:

I don't think any staff manages their pitching thinking about what to they'll do if they have to play Monday. Time and time again, it has been shown that in the regional, you have to win the game you're playing and figure out the next one when it gets here. At this point, if we have to play more than two more games, you might even be able to bring Highfill back for an inning, it's all hands on deck at that point, and if you get to that point, the other team is probably in the same boat anyway.

Also, when you say it's not like we were done scoring, you say that with the benefit of knowing we did score more runs. During the game, you don't get the benefit of knowing what you're going to do. There was zero guarantee we would continue to score. It's very easy to criticize decisions when you have the benefit of hindsight.
No, I said it's not like we were done scoring because we had 2 more at-bats in a game where we had 7 runs in 6 innings. We still had opportunities to add runs, which we did.
78wilsonpack
poexcuse said:

wilmwolf said:

Technically speaking he had periods so it wasn't the same sentence.
James Henderson
Staff
PossumJenkins said:

And you kept scoring too and still won by 10.

Also at that point in VT you needed 15 outs, this time you needed 9.
PossumJenkins
James Henderson said:

PossumJenkins said:

And you kept scoring too and still won by 10.

Also at that point in VT you needed 15 outs, this time you needed 9.
We got to Omaha with 5 pitchers. Staff has shown they are gonna go with people they trust and at this point you'd rather go down riding your players than getting in a bad spot with people you don't completely trust. Time of year where your dudes have to be dudes. They were and we are about as well setup for the rest of the regional as we could ask for. Certainly better than the team we face today.
DJncsu13
I think you could make the case that Dudan is our best pitcher right now. Using him in that spot seemed like a bad move at the time and still does. I get that Highfill was showing signs of wearing down, but he had thrown 75 pitches and given up 2 hits and 2 runs. Glad we got the W. Let's go beat SC tonight.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Civilized
James Henderson said:

wilmwolf said:

All situations in baseball don't have equal leverage though, and losing game one of a regional puts you way behind the 8-ball. You're up comfortably after 6 but the game isn't over. Close it out, leave no doubt, and move on.

I want no part of allowing Bryant to score 2 or 3 against a second tier reliever when he came in with our foot already on their throat, and then having to bring in one of our studs in a high leverage situation with Bryant rolling at the plate to try to shut off the spigot, and then ramping up the pressure on our bats to do work in a close-and-late situation that it feels like we never should have been in.

The win is in hand if Dudan comes in and slams the door, even better if he does so efficiently, leaving the opportunity for him to pitch one or multiple times over the next few days.

I think it worked out perfectly.
StateFan2001
James Henderson said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

What are we doing? Haha

I'd rather have had Dudan full go tonight for USC's lineup and still be able to hold Consiglio if needed for Sunday/Monday because I like the Whitaker/Consiglio pairing. I don't like throwing Consiglio with Fritton.

But we'll see how it plays out and hopefully it doesn't matter. Watching Dudan last night was like watching Billy Madison play basketball. No need.

Yep well said. I want Dudan for every game possible against South Carolina and don't want to have to go to Consiglio out of the pen if we don't have to. Dom isn't likely going more than 5-6 innings. Would love to go to Dudan and Smith to close it out with a lead after 6. Keep Consiglio ready to start or long relief on Sunday.
StateFan2001
PossumJenkins said:

Bryant isn't Va Tech. They showed very little resistance all night.
StateFan2001
DJncsu13 said:

I think you could make the case that Dudan is our best pitcher right now. Using him in that spot seemed like a bad move at the time and still does. I get that Highfill was showing signs of wearing down, but he had thrown 75 pitches and given up 2 hits and 2 runs. Glad we got the W. Let's go beat SC tonight.

Yep if anything let Highfill finish the 7th and then go to an inning of Dudan and an inning from Smith if you don't trust anyone else in a 7-2 ballgame.
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

What are we doing? Haha

Dudan would be a full go tonight for USC if we wanted to go to him. This is what people don't understand, he's not on a pitch count. He didn't throw 75 fastballs at 98 MPH taxing his arm limiting him to how long he could go on his next outing.

Yeah, a lot of those teams were in tight games using their top of the line guys, that's the point. We gave a FR a glorified bullpen session to get his feet wet in a regional setting.

Our two pitchers threw 106 total pitches last night....that's so damn efficient that we could see Sam again if needed on a Monday. Dudan is still fresh as well.

I'll say it again, what are we doing here? haha

We gotta have something to talk about, that's for sure.
Glasswolf
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

PossumJenkins
StateFan2001 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Bryant isn't Va Tech. They showed very little resistance all night.

Neither is LIU, or VCU, or UConn, or Evansville
Glasswolf
StateFan2001 said:

DJncsu13 said:

Yep if anything let Highfill finish the 7th and then go to an inning of Dudan and an inning from Smith if you don't trust anyone else in a 7-2 ballgame.
Sam was not getting out of the 7th up 7-2. At the rate he was losing velo and missing on his pitches it may have been closer to 7-5.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

SportManagementEngineer
Glasswolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

DJncsu13 said:

Sam was not getting out of the 7th up 7-2. At the rate he was losing velo and missing on his pitches it may have been closer to 7-5.
Agreed. Right call to pull him there and I don't mind going to Dudan to shut it down. He came in with a runner on second and no outs and shut the door.

I still would've preferred going with someone else for the 9th to save the pitches but I'm not sure how much a difference it make to add 15 more pitches (I think he finished at 30?) - feels like he could still get us an out or two if we're in a jam tonight.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
DJncsu13
Glasswolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

DJncsu13 said:

Yeh maybe.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
Cthepack
poexcuse said:

wilmwolf said:

....a great Sunday morning? ??
Alex Gee
Staff
I understand that a big part of JMU's identity is stealing bases, but man they've run themselves out of a lot of opportunities this weekend in spots where it just didn't seem necessary

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.