ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

6,139 Views | 173 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

Stephensons bbq tonight…with fried chicken. Love that place.
Man, I would love to join you…

Go often? We love the place.
Not in a long time. I like it…. I really enjoy the simple decor or it could be called, southern hospitality.

You need to go. Great place and great food. We try once a week if possible.
With my diet, I couldn't go once a week. I don't need to eat fried food that often. That said, I can only dream…. Have a nice dinner…
If you like chicken and dumplings or chicken and pastry, they have that once a week. Not fried. Outstanding.
They cook the chicken .... bones and all. Delicious !
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

Stephensons bbq tonight…with fried chicken. Love that place.
Man, I would love to join you…

Go often? We love the place.
Not in a long time. I like it…. I really enjoy the simple decor or it could be called, southern hospitality.

You need to go. Great place and great food. We try once a week if possible.
With my diet, I couldn't go once a week. I don't need to eat fried food that often. That said, I can only dream…. Have a nice dinner…
If you like chicken and dumplings or chicken and pastry, they have that once a week. Not fried. Outstanding.
They cook the chicken .... bones and all. Delicious !
Good stuff indeed.
ncsupack1
Picked up ribeye's today from HT. Sides are just baked potatoes and green beans. Easy does it.
ncsupack1
Going to grill some bbq chicken later today. Wife is going to make some home made fries for the sides.
ncsupack1
Chicken themed weekend continues. Later today, fried chicken sandwiches with all the fixings. I've got to figure out bbq chicken on the grill. Turns out okay, just seems to be missing something.
FlossyDFlynt
Cooking a big pot of Bolognese this afternoon
ncsupack1
I must admit I have never had it.
FlossyDFlynt
Its a staple for me. Makes like fourteen servings, so I freeze it in individual servings so when I dont feel like making dinner, just pull one of them out of the freezer
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Its a staple for me. Makes like fourteen servings, so I freeze it in individual servings so when I dont feel like making dinner, just pull one of them out of the freezer
Not a bad idea.
FlossyDFlynt

ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Looks good
GetOffMyLawnPack

Nash County fancy lunch at Smith's Restaurant. Cheese biscuit was excellent
ncsupack1
Looks good
BBW12OG
Was in KC for a conference since last Wednesday....

Saw some interesting weather and prayers to the folks in Nebraska and Oklahoma. It was wild in KC so I can't fathom what they went through with the real deal tornados, hail, wind and torrential rains that came through there.

Had several different types of smoked meats. And I am of the school that BBQ is pig. Nothing else.

• Smoked Turkey - by far their best offering. For some reason the smoked turkey in KC is far superior than any other place I have had it. Trust me, I've been to every place I could to try when available.
  • Smoked Sausages - ehhhh.... not bad... but not Texas quality.
  • Brisket - better than most places but not Texas quality.
  • Pulled Pork - take it out of the rotation. Not even close to public school quality Q we had growing up in NC.

I will say that KC is one of the cleanest cities I have been to since Covid. Few homeless scattered about but for the most part everyone felt safe walking at night from place to place.

People were super friendly and the portions you got were enough for a minimum of two meals. That was the only downside of there not being many homeless.... we were in hotels and had dinners every night so we normally give the to go plates to the homeless. Wasn't the case this time.

Probably going to be eating a lot of rabbit food the next few days after week of decadence.
ncsupack1
Thanks for sharing. I've always want to try smoke turkey like that.
BBW12OG
ncsupack1 said:

I have tried to smoke boneless turkey breasts several times.

I've brined them, quick brined them, marinated them, injected them, you name it I have tried it.

My wife and I first went to KC 8-9 years ago and she absolutely fell in love with it.

Particularly "Jack Stack's BBQ" smoked turkey breast. I know it is a chain there but I have to give it to them... they absolutely nail the smoked turkey.

I have not been able to come close to getting the flavor profile, tenderness and juiciness of theirs. I have made some valiant efforts but it always comes out too dry, too smoked or too tough. Even with injections I can't seem to get what I am looking for.

Any advice would be appreciated!
GetOffMyLawnPack
BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

I've brined them, quick brined them, marinated them, injected them, you name it I have tried it.

My wife and I first went to KC 8-9 years ago and she absolutely fell in love with it.

Particularly "Jack Stack's BBQ" smoked turkey breast. I know it is a chain there but I have to give it to them... they absolutely nail the smoked turkey.

I have not been able to come close to getting the flavor profile, tenderness and juiciness of theirs. I have made some valiant efforts but it always comes out too dry, too smoked or too tough. Even with injections I can't seem to get what I am looking for.

Similar experience. I think since turkey has a tendency to be dry anyway, the key is to go the minimum temp above boiling point of water. I would think if we can stay in the 215 to 220 F range, should be about the best that can be done.
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

I wish I had some advice. I have never had enough nerve to smoke a turkey. Hopefully someone here has some.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

Similar experience. I think since turkey has a tendency to be dry anyway, the key is to go the minimum temp above boiling point of water. I would think if we can stay in the 215 to 220 F range, should be about the best that can be done.

My fear has always been having that sucker dry as heck.
BBW12OG
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

Good call on the temp.... When I get clearance from Dr. Wife to begin eating like I am 20 again I will give that a try!
FlossyDFlynt
For turkey breast, I marinate them

About half a bottle of spicy italitan dressing
Probably 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
Roughly 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning
Blend everything together

I marinate overnight, then either cook on the grill over indirect heat or in the oven at 350 until 165 internal. I usually do this for sandwiches/wraps, so I wrap them in foil and fridge until cold and slice
BBW12OG
Do you inject the same marinade?

So you aren't using a smoker?
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

Good question. Tonight, the youngest and I are grilling chili dogs, ( bright leaf ) with fries. Something easy on this Thursday. Vodka, in hand.
FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1 said:

BBW12OG said:

Good question. Tonight, the youngest and I are grilling chili dogs, ( bright leaf ) with fries. Something easy on this Thursday. Vodka, in hand.
If I am doing a deep fried turkey, this is my injection for it. It would be double the measurements for a full turkey. When I say marinate, its skinless breasts. If it were skin on, Id inject and put a layer on the skin.

Ive got Franklins smoked turkey recipe somewhere in the house, Ill see if I can find it
FlossyDFlynt
F1 is in Miami, so making Cubanos this weekend
ncsupack1
Thanks for sharing. Also don't forget to add an after pic.
FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1 said:

Thanks for sharing. Also don't forget to add an after pic.

I will do my best, but the ranch waters are going down easy
ncsupack1
lol…look I get it. Cheers
Radman
Currently smoking a pork butt. The kids, their spouses, and my grandkids are coming for dinner.
ncsupack1
Radman said:

Currently smoking a pork butt. The kids, their spouses, and my grandkids are coming for dinner.
Good luck smoking today. Sounds like a great evening is planned, enjoy every second of it.
FlossyDFlynt
Screwed up a bit on the bread, but otherwise turned out good. Next time, gonna pull the pork instead, think that would be better than slicong
ncsupack1
Looks good to me. Always a learning experience, at for me.
ncsupack1
Going to throw some pizzas in the oven later. Did pick up some bright leaf ham and biscuits for tomorrow's breakfast. Maker's in hand.
ncsupack1
Taco bar later. Ham biscuits were great. Love country ham.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.