ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

7,522 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by GetOffMyLawnPack
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

caryking said:

I haven't been to the roast grill in years. I always remember then having an outstanding hot dog. That said, here is the way I make a hot dog, at home;

Standard buns from anywhere
Sabrett hot dogs
Pattersons chili
Mustard and Ketchup

I use an iron pan with a little butter spray, cook the hot dogs till they are almost black, heat the pattersons chili and add honey, to taste. Once hot dogs are cooked, place a streak of mustard and ketchup, in the bun, put the hot dog in on top of the condiments, then add the chili!!!

That's a great Hot Dog!!!
Imo, there isn't a better store-bought hot dog / hamburger chili than Patterson's. BUT, the best store bought is only as good as the worst homemade. But Patterson's will do in a pinch.

I just brown a pound of hamburger with salt and pepper. Drain much of the grease, add ketchup, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, a skeet of Texas Pete, a little brown sugar and about 3/4 cup water. Let it simmer down. Then I often add either a little instant mashed potato powder (Idahoan buttery my fav) or corn starch as a viscosity index improver so the chili isn't so watery. The instant taters give the chili a background rich tint to the flavor. Corn starch continues to thicken the longer the batch is heated. I'll post ENCBBQstyleWolf's chili recipe below. It takes about an hour to make, but is pretty good.

I'll have to try that chili. Have you ever added honey to your chili?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
I listen to a sports channel on XM and the host and many callers, agreed on adding peanut butter to chili? Seemed like a northern thing. Never have heard about this.
GetOffMyLawnPack
caryking said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

caryking said:

I haven't been to the roast grill in years. I always remember then having an outstanding hot dog. That said, here is the way I make a hot dog, at home;

Standard buns from anywhere
Sabrett hot dogs
Pattersons chili
Mustard and Ketchup

I use an iron pan with a little butter spray, cook the hot dogs till they are almost black, heat the pattersons chili and add honey, to taste. Once hot dogs are cooked, place a streak of mustard and ketchup, in the bun, put the hot dog in on top of the condiments, then add the chili!!!

That's a great Hot Dog!!!
Imo, there isn't a better store-bought hot dog / hamburger chili than Patterson's. BUT, the best store bought is only as good as the worst homemade. But Patterson's will do in a pinch.

I just brown a pound of hamburger with salt and pepper. Drain much of the grease, add ketchup, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, a skeet of Texas Pete, a little brown sugar and about 3/4 cup water. Let it simmer down. Then I often add either a little instant mashed potato powder (Idahoan buttery my fav) or corn starch as a viscosity index improver so the chili isn't so watery. The instant taters give the chili a background rich tint to the flavor. Corn starch continues to thicken the longer the batch is heated. I'll post ENCBBQstyleWolf's chili recipe below. It takes about an hour to make, but is pretty good.

I'll have to try that chili. Have you ever added honey to your chili?
No, but sounds like something good to try. I've got some Wegmans hot sriracha honey that I use on roasted brussel sprouts. I'll try the chili and just cut back a little on the brown sugar.
ncsupack1
What's everyone getting into this evening food wise? Haven't decided on it here.
gracieagain
can't post pics
ncsupack1
gracieagain said:

can't post pics

Why is this?
GetOffMyLawnPack
gracieagain said:

can't post pics
When you hit "reply" or "quote and reply" you will see the "post" screen. See the row of icons to the right of "Your Reply"? The sixth icon looks like a picture frame with a small + sign in the bottom right corner. That is the icon to post a pic. Once you click on that, a dialogue will open to ask if you want to upload a pic, which is yes. You must choose a picture from your file explorer on your computer. If you want to post a pic from another website, you must save that photo to your file explorer. The "Pictures" folder works well for me.

Let me know if it works for you?
SSBPack
I picked up a brisket at Costco yesterday. I had never seen them sold there before. They had all sizes. My Easter dinner choice was made with that purchase.
ncsupack1
SSBPack said:

I picked up a brisket at Costco yesterday. I had never seen them sold there before. They had all sizes. My Easter dinner choice was made with that purchase.
I hear that. I don't think ours has brisket come to think of it. Tonight, burgers and dogs on the Weber. Sides are just fries. Some Maker's as I light up the grill. Best of luck with the brisket, got a rube that you prefer?
BBW12OG
SSBPack said:

Costco can actually have some really good deals on brisket and pork butts.....

The briskets I have purchased from there have needed some serious trim work but the meat was still decent for the price.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

SSBPack said:

The briskets I have purchased from there have needed some serious trim work but the meat was still decent for the price.
I'm going to have to keep a eye out on our local Costco for brisket. I just hit up Harris Teeter for one.
BBW12OG
ncsupack1 said:

BBW12OG said:

SSBPack said:

I'm going to have to keep a eye out on our local Costco for brisket. I just hit up Harris Teeter for one.
Check the Teeter out.... Kroger, same company, has ribs buy one get one free!!! Stock up the freezer and get ready for the summer.
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

BBW12OG said:

SSBPack said:

Check the Teeter out.... Kroger, same company, has ribs buy one get one free!!! Stock up the freezer and get ready for the summer.
Will do.
caryking
Where'a the best place to get a pork butt?

Joe Biden
BBW12OG
caryking said:

Where'a the best place to get a pork butt?
There is only one answer for that......

I dig the pig!!!!!

Best meat in the Southeast... especially the further East you go down 40......
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
waynecountywolf
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

gracieagain said:

can't post pics
When you hit "reply" or "quote and reply" you will see the "post" screen. See the row of icons to the right of "Your Reply"? The sixth icon looks like a picture frame with a small + sign in the bottom right corner. That is the icon to post a pic. Once you click on that, a dialogue will open to ask if you want to upload a pic, which is yes. You must choose a picture from your file explorer on your computer. If you want to post a pic from another website, you must save that photo to your file explorer. The "Pictures" folder works well for me.

I believe that icon is only for premium members.
Should I post ENCBBQ's hotdog chili recipe?
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
ncsupack1
waynecountywolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

gracieagain said:

can't post pics

I would like it if you did. I always enjoyed reading his post on food and drinking, ( the mumification ) I think was the drink?
ncsupack1
Wife is bringing home pizza tonight. Local joint that does pretty good.
GetOffMyLawnPack
waynecountywolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

gracieagain said:

can't post pics

I've already posted ENC's chili recipe on page 1 of this thread.

ncsupack1
I see Roland's has closed. Any of you folks down in Beaufort know if anything is going to take their spot? Always stopped by there when I would be there due to work. Decent place.
waynecountywolf
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

waynecountywolf said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

gracieagain said:

can't post pics

I've already posted ENC's chili recipe on page 1 of this thread.

Shoot, I should have read the post and ingredients closer.
waynecountywolf
ncsupack1 said:

I see Roland's has closed. Any of you folks down in Beaufort know if anything is going to take their spot? Always stopped by there when I would be there due to work. Decent place.
Redneck BBQ Lab
waynecountywolf
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ENCBBQuestyleWolf's (God rest his soul) chili recipe:

1 lb. ground chuck
3 sweet onions, diced
4 Tabsp yellow mustard
3 teasp brown sugar
2 teasp apple cider vinegar
2 teasp chili powder
1 Tabsp bacon grease
1 cup hunts ketchup
salt to taste

Break chuck in large pan, add hot water until thick on medium heat. Stir until smooth then add remaining ingredients. Turn heat to low / simmer and cook for hour to hour and half, stirring occasionally. Thin, when necessary, with beer ( I use PBR for this chili only).

Store in airtight container. Don't know how it freezes because it doesn't last that long around here.

Glad you didnt forget the PBR!!!
ncsupack1
waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Wow. Thanks for sharing that.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Joe Biden
Dunlow66
Brisket

Red sauce or Au jus?

I think red sauce ruins the beef flavor
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Beaufort, across from the Pig.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?
I never went there…. Just looked it up Google Maps and know exactly where it is.. I wish I had tried it out. Why did they close?

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?
I never went there…. Just looked it up Google Maps and know exactly where it is.. I wish I had tried it out. Why did they close?

Good question? It wasn't the best but dang good.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Heck, I like Smithfield's…

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Ha..so do I
waynecountywolf
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Smithfields has the BEST fried chicken and chicken tenders
ncsupack1
waynecountywolf said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Agree. The Smithfield's around us just one day closed. The rumor is that it is being turned into a Krispy Kream.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Agree. The Smithfield's around us just one day closed. The rumor is that it is being turned into a Krispy Kream.
Where do you live? Obviously, I'm in Cary…

Joe Biden
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

waynecountywolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

Redneck BBQ Lab

Where was Roland's?

Where do you live? Obviously, I'm in Cary…

Just south of Garner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.