ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

34,447 Views | 557 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by ncsupack1
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlossyDFlynt said:

Making mushroom risotto in the instant pot and pan frying some steak with cajun seasoning to put on top of it
That sounds good.
justaguy
Guys! What have we been cooking lately?!
ncsupack1
Not much around here. Thinking about beef ribs on the smoker this weekend. How about you?
Civilized
Grilled some tasty burgers last night.

Nothing elaborate though, travel over the last few weeks has put a serious dent in our cooking.

We did make some great homemade pizzas up in the mountains at my BIL's in his Ooni oven this weekend.

Perfect weather for outdoor cooking so we picked up 10 crusts (personal size) from Fresh in Black Mountain so everyone had their own.

Had fresh tomatoes from the garden, mushrooms, green pepper, red onion, olives, roasted garlic, fresh basil and oregano, pepperoni, and spicy sausage to choose from for toppings.

They turned out great, big hit for kids and adults alike!

ncsupack1
Civilized said:

Grilled some tasty burgers last night.

Nothing elaborate though, travel over the last few weeks has put a serious dent in our cooking.

We did make some great homemade pizzas up in the mountains at my BIL's in his Ooni oven this weekend.

Perfect weather for outdoor cooking so we picked up 10 crusts (personal size) from Fresh in Black Mountain so everyone had their own.

Had fresh tomatoes from the garden, mushrooms, green pepper, red onion, olives, roasted garlic, fresh basil and oregano, pepperoni, and spicy sausage to choose from for toppings.

They turned out great, big hit for kids and adults alike!

That sounds fun and good.
FlossyDFlynt
Trying to polish off my freezer meals since I am heading out of town next week. I will be doing some prep/cooking for that trip early next week, but probably wont be doing anything cooking wise until the weekend
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Trying to polish off my freezer meals since I am heading out of town next week. I will be doing some prep/cooking for that trip early next week, but probably wont be doing anything cooking wise until the weekend

That's us. I don't have time till the weekend for grilling/smoking.
FlossyDFlynt
Wings on the grill tonight
ncsupack1
Going to throw some T bones on the grill for dinner. Also, picked up some chicken wings and drums for tomorrow night.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Going to throw some T bones on the grill for dinner. Also, picked up some chicken wings and drums for tomorrow night.

Nice!

Fried, baked, or smoked wings??
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice!

Smoked wings. I can't for whatever reason get the wife to fry.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice!

Excellent! I enjoy great classic fried wings as much as anybody but never make them that way at home. I'll pan fry stuff sometimes, but that takes forever, is messy, and doesn't work well for large batches.

I thought about getting one of those little countertop deep fryers, but haven't yet.

I probably bake wings more than any other method with a buttery hot sauce glaze. You can really get that crispy, savory caramelized skin baking them and then broiling both sides the last couple of minutes.

Hope yours turn out great!
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice!

Excellent! I enjoy great classic fried wings as much as anybody but never make them that way at home. I'll pan fry stuff sometimes, but that takes forever, is messy, and doesn't work well for large batches.

I thought about getting one of those little countertop deep fryers, but haven't yet.

I probably bake wings more than any other method with a buttery hot sauce glaze. You can really get that crispy, savory caramelized skin baking them and then broiling both sides the last couple of minutes.

I got lazy and air fried them a few weeks ago and was really surprised with the results. Its still not as good as on the grill, but for a lazy cook...I was really happy with it
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice!

I got lazy and air fried them a few weeks ago and was really surprised with the results. Its still not as good as on the grill, but for a lazy cook...I was really happy with it

Agree and great point.

Air fryers are great to crisp up that chicken skin. And they cook a lot faster than a traditional oven.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice!

That does sound good. As for the frying, I think it has more to do with the mess than anything with her. I honestly can't blame her either.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nice!

Wash the wings. Pat dry. Skeet the wings with spray on olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder, little salt. Put in the air fryer at 380F until those babies are golden tan like a Hawaiian Tropic model (about25 mins)
Wufpack17
Pat dry wings. Toss with salt. Lay them on a cooling wreck. Stick them in the fridge over night. By morning they are dried out. Toss with oil. Then toss wings with your seasoning that MUST include baking powder.

Bake on 400 for 1 hour. They will be very crispy.
GetOffMyLawnPack

Smoked for about 6 hours. Put some Dizzy Pig crossroads rub prior to start. Tried something different. Had been skeeting the ribs about once per hour with apple cider (real stuff from Wegmans). So when I took them off, decided not to go with a wet barbecue sauce, but to use what was left of the apple cider. Worked out great. Sometimes the rub flavor fights the sauce flavor. The apple cider added moisture and actually complimented the rub flavor. Will do that again soon.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Smoked for about 6 hours. Put some Dizzy Pig crossroads rub prior to start. Tried something different. Had been skeeting the ribs about once per hour with apple cider (real stuff from Wegmans). So when I took them off, decided not to go with a wet barbecue sauce, but to use what was left of the apple cider. Worked out great. Sometimes the rub flavor fights the sauce flavor. The apple cider added moisture and actually complimented the rub flavor. Will do that again soon.

Looks good!
ncsupack1
Don't have an air fryer ( yes I know) thinking about the oven method. Thanks for the suggestions.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Don't have an air fryer ( yes I know) thinking about the oven method. Thanks for the suggestions.
We bought the InstaPot Air Fryer 6 quart which is large enough for us: https://instantpot.com/collections/instant-air-fryers-and-cookware/products/instant-vortex-plus-6-quart-clear-cook-air-fryer

ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

We bought the InstaPot Air Fryer 6 quart which is large enough for us: https://instantpot.com/collections/instant-air-fryers-and-cookware/products/instant-vortex-plus-6-quart-clear-cook-air-fryer

Thanks. I'll look into this
ncsupack1
Anyone going to fire up the ol' grill tonight?
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Weather is absolutely perfect for a grill!

Feels like football weather!!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Weather is absolutely perfect for a grill!

Feels like football weather!!
Yes it does!
GetOffMyLawnPack
Anybody thinking about the first homegate / tailgate this season a week from tomorrow? I haven't really, so open to ideas
BBW12OG
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Anybody thinking about the first homegate / tailgate this season a week from tomorrow? I haven't really, so open to ideas
Just to bring this topic up again..... I have tried two more turkey breasts on the smoker... I'll damn near fly any of you that aren't local up that can cook one of these *******s that doesn't taste like burnt wood!!!!

I can not nail this one down.

I have done well with brisket... I do subscribe to the school of the "cut of meat makes the cook..."

I have quit buying Costco briskets and will only buy them from a local butcher when he gets good ones in. He will call me and let me know during football season when they are coming in from out West. Costco briskets are trash for the price. When you clean them up you end up with about 1/4 of what you paid for and even then it's a thin "flank steak.."

The turkey breast is my brass ring..... and I hope to nail that fcking thing one day!!!
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

We were talking about this yesterday. About time to start thinking and planning.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

We were talking about this yesterday. About time to start thinking and planning.

Love a Saturday night game! Thursday night games often mean an abbreviated tailgate given work constraints.

May mean a postgame tailgate is in order!

ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Love a Saturday night game! Thursday night games often mean an abbreviated tailgate given work constraints.

Agree that Saturday is better. We going to start a tailgate menu thread here?
GetOffMyLawnPack
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

You can cook a chuck roast or brisket (ducking head) in the crock pot and make sliders. Pretty good for abbreviated tailgate / homegate
ncsupack1
Went to a Char Grill today just north of Wake Forest today for lunch, wasn't bad at all. I did like the drive thru.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Went to a Char Grill today just north of Wake Forest today for lunch, wasn't bad at all. I did like the drive thru.
Been to that one many times. The only way they can do a drive thru is to pre-cook the patties. Then they marinate in hot water. If you came through during meal peak traffic, probably pretty fresh. Just a tweak from their implicit claim that they char cook to order. But hey, for a work-a-day meal, works just fine.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Been to that one many times. The only way they can do a drive thru is to pre-cook the patties. Then they marinate in hot water. If you came through during meal peak traffic, probably pretty fresh. Just a tweak from their implicit claim that they char cook to order. But hey, for a work-a-day meal, works just fine.

Yes, it was during peak lunch. Overall not bad, it hit the spot for me. Wish we had one around the house.
ncsupack1
Alright folks, any ideas for tomorrow's nights game? Any tailgating menus anyone wants to share? I think we are going easy and doing the BO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.