ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

32,346 Views | 555 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks good to me.
Wufpack17
Smoking a tri tip today
ncsupack1
Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today
Sounds good. I was going to grill but decided not to due to rain chances, and guess what, the sun is out.
FlossyDFlynt
Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today
Got a place you get tri tip from? Costco had it for a while, the only other place Ive seen it in a while was the Butchers Market, but it was really expensive
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today
Sounds good. I was going to grill but decided not to due to rain chances, and guess what, the sun is out.

Ha!

I'm drying out the grill from last night's rain tonight.

Grilling marinated flank steak here in a bit!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today

Ha!

I hear ya! Still no rain here. lol
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today

Ha!

Yeah beautiful afternoon in Raleigh. Suns out guns out.

You can cut the humidity with a knife though.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today

Ha!

Yeah beautiful afternoon in Raleigh. Suns out guns out.

You can cut the humidity with a knife though.
I'll give you the humidity, wish that I got those wings today. Dang it. But cheers, here is to another week.
TheStorm
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today

Ha!

What kind of equipment are you grilling it on... you seem to do pretty well with a wide variety of "outdoor cooking" activities?
Civilized
TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today

Ha!

What kind of equipment are you grilling it on... you seem to do pretty well with a wide variety of "outdoor cooking" activities?

Weber Genesis gas for convenience and quick steady heat, Weber kettle charcoal if I want to throw more smoke on it and/or have time to kill, and a Kamado smoker for the low and slow smokes or 800 degree pizzas.

I could delete the kettle and just use the Kamado for charcoal but I like how I can spread the charcoal around a bigger surface area and get it really close to the meat with the kettle.

I also like taking the kettle out to tailgates, which is definitely not an option with the Kamado. Those damn things are heavy as hell.
Civilized
Flank steak turned out. Flanks are thin so the internal temp is hard to nail and I screwed up and let it run a couple of minutes too long. It ended up more medium than medium rare but it was still really good.

The hit of this meal was definitely the marinade, which you can also hold back and use it to dress the steak after cooking. It's a great one, use it on beef, chicken, and fish especially in the summer.

5 T extra virgin olive oil
5 T white vinegar
Lots of fresh chopped cilantro
Lemon juice
Garlic
Salt, pepper

The cilantro and lemon make it so fresh and bright and the vinegar is a great balance with the fattiness of the meat.
Wufpack17
FlossyDFlynt said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today
Got a place you get tri tip from? Costco had it for a while, the only other place Ive seen it in a while was the Butchers Market, but it was really expensive
Food Lion has them right now. $9 a lb. I had a 3 lb.

Wufpack17
ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today
I used my Traeger so rain wasn't an issue. I put it on around 1:00 then went to the grocery store and stopped at a brewery for a couple of beers.

I monitored the cook from my phone (Meater thermometer).
ncsupack1
Wufpack17 said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today
I used my Traeger so rain wasn't an issue. I put it on around 1:00 then went to the grocery store and stopped at a brewery for a couple of beers.

I monitored the cook from my phone (Meater thermometer).
Glad to see you got it in.
ncsupack1
Back to normal things here. Anyone cooking up something tonight? We've got zero.
ncsupack1
Steaks about to go on the Weber….drink in hand.
GetOffMyLawnPack
Fixed BLT's tonight with fresh 'maters and Wright's bacon.

Want to fix a picnic shoulder on the Rectec smoker sometime in the next week. Gotta do biz trip to Gaffney, SC Tuesday, but maybe late next week. Thinking about maybe injecting the shoulder prior to smoking. Anyone done that, and if so, do you think it was worthwhile?

packgrad
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Want to fix a picnic shoulder on the Rectec smoker sometime in the next week. Gotta do biz trip to Gaffney, SC Tuesday, but maybe late next week. Thinking about maybe injecting the shoulder prior to smoking. Anyone done that, and if so, do you think it was worthwhile?

I don't. I'm a fan of dressing up the bark, but not the inside meat. I've never gotten great taste out of injections on shoulders.

That said if you're looking to get some Asian flavor I'm all for it. But, standard souther Q, I'm not a fan.
ncsupack1
I love a good BLT.
caryking
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Smoking a tri tip today

Ha!

Civ, flank steak is the best! When I go out to dinner, at a steak house, and they flank steak…. Well, I get it every time.
Skylitdrive
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Man, I'm glad to see another Recteq user on the board. I have 4 of them and absolutely love them.

I love doing shoulders for eastern style but I have been using a different recipe for several of the last times ive done them. Check out MeatChurch's Mexican recipe. Im telling y'all- this **** is so good- makes the perfect street tacos. He also has one for the brisket- same recipe basically. It is so good.

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/mexican-pulled-pork

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/mexican-brisket?_pos=1&_sid=78ffdd4fa&_ss=r

You could also substitute chuck roast for the brisket if you want a smaller amount of meat, but man, it's so good.

ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

I can't help you with the injecting. I personally have never tried it. If you do, let us know how it went.
GetOffMyLawnPack
Skylitdrive said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Man, I'm glad to see another Recteq user on the board. I have 4 of them and absolutely love them.

I love doing shoulders for eastern style but I have been using a different recipe for several of the last times ive done them. Check out MeatChurch's Mexican recipe. Im telling y'all- this **** is so good- makes the perfect street tacos. He also has one for the brisket- same recipe basically. It is so good.

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/mexican-pulled-pork

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/mexican-brisket?_pos=1&_sid=78ffdd4fa&_ss=r

You could also substitute chuck roast for the brisket if you want a smaller amount of meat, but man, it's so good.

Thanks!
ncsupack1
It's Tuesday, so tacos tonight.
ncsupack1
Chili dogs and fries. Not sure what everyone eats, but we like Bright Leafs.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Since you are the closest thing we have to a nascar track expert, could you comment on whether you think the hot dogs are better or worse since they changed brands at the famous Martinsville hot dog vendor?
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Since you are the closest thing we have to a nascar track expert, could you comment on whether you think the hot dogs are better or worse since they changed brands at the famous Martinsville hot dog vendor?

I'll be honest here. I've never understood the hype around the hotdogs there. But since you pulled my arm, I don't like how now you can't change what's on them. It's either plain or the original. Used to not be that way, so I don't get them. I know that's a long winded answer to the old ones.
ncsupack1
ABC11 had a piece on Calabash seafood. Now I'm hungry.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Damnit. Your description of the piece is making me hungry.

Been a minute since I've had some great fried fresh seafood.

You have a favorite calabash joint down east? Mine is the Sanitary.

*kidding*

Crab Shack in Salter Path is probably my favorite up towards AB. Anybody have any recs in the ILM area?

ETA: I can't bag on the Sanitary without saying it has a very special place in my heart, lots of after-church Sunday lunches down there with my grandparents growing up. The atmosphere is always great but the food was a different ballgame in there 35 years ago. I can still taste those fresh hushpuppies and sweet tea. Nothing better!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

*kidding*

Crab Shack in Salter Path is probably my favorite up towards AB. Anybody have any recs in the ILM area?

To be honest I don't. It's been years since I've been down there to know what is open. Crab Shack, I may look into this. Thanks
Civilized
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

*kidding*

ETA: I can't bag on the Sanitary without saying it has a very special place in my heart, lots of after-church Sunday lunches down there with my grandparents growing up. The atmosphere is always great but the food was a different ballgame in there 35 years ago. I can still taste those fresh hushpuppies and sweet tea. Nothing better!

I get it, we also spent a lot of time down there growing up. Sometimes when we are down there I think about stopping in.
TheStorm
I'll offer up Riverview in Sneads Ferry on the New River.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

I'll offer up Riverview in Sneads Ferry on the New River.
Thanks. Edit, I have in fact been there. Very good if I remember.
FlossyDFlynt
Making mushroom risotto in the instant pot and pan frying some steak with cajun seasoning to put on top of it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.