ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

24,498 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
caryking said:

Stopped in at a Smithfield's BBQ on the way home from the beach. When they are good… man, they are good!!

Nice BBQ sandwich to go. BBQ all over the floor, in the car. Greasy hands all over the steering wheel! What I'll go through for a good BBQ sandwich…

Same! BBQ plate though, and two pints of BBQ and some sides to bring home to eat off of this week and freeze some.

Hard to beat Smithfield's!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Stopped in at a Smithfield's BBQ on the way home from the beach. When they are good… man, they are good!!

Nice BBQ sandwich to go. BBQ all over the floor, in the car. Greasy hands all over the steering wheel! What I'll go through for a good BBQ sandwich…

Same! BBQ plate though, and two pints of BBQ and some sides to bring home to eat off of this week and freeze some.

Haven't thought about buying and freezing. Thanks for sharing.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Tell me about the reqteq? Also, those look good, and good grill marks.
RecTeq and Traeger are very similar. Biggest differentiator is that some accessories that Trager charges for are standard on ReqTeq (at least when I bought mine 4 years ago). It is basically an outdoor wood fired smoker / oven. Temperature controlled with phone app so I can change temp from anywhere. In the winter, I have thrown a brisket on there before going to bed. When I get up to take a leak at 4a, I start at 220F from my phone. 12 hours later, excellent brisket. The temperature control allows you to go do other stuff during the day. Meat probes tell you the core temp at any time.

My favorite is to smoke a steak to 113F probe temp. (about an hour). Then finish on my sear station Napoleon grill for 45 seconds per side. Steak is perfectly pink throughout and the sear station does the grill marks.

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/discover/features/infrared-sizzle-zone-sear-station

Brisket
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

RecTeq and Traeger are very similar. Biggest differentiator is that some accessories that Trager charges for are standard on ReqTeq (at least when I bought mine 4 years ago). It is basically an outdoor wood fired smoker / oven. Temperature controlled with phone app so I can change temp from anywhere. In the winter, I have thrown a brisket on there before going to bed. When I get up to take a leak at 4a, I start at 220F from my phone. 12 hours later, excellent brisket. The temperature control allows you to go do other stuff during the day. Meat probes tell you the core temp at any time.

My favorite is to smoke a steak to 113F probe temp. (about an hour). Then finish on my sear station Napoleon grill for 45 seconds per side. Steak is perfectly pink throughout and the sear station does the grill marks.

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/discover/features/infrared-sizzle-zone-sear-station

Brisket

I've been somewhat looking around for this type of cooker. I'll take a look. Thanks for posting.
TheStorm
Civilized said:

caryking said:

$50.00!
Civilized
TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

$50.00!

Every bit of it and then some.

We'll get 3 meals for our crowd of 4 out of it though so not crazy on a per-serving basis.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

$50.00!

We'll get 3 meals for our crowd of 4 out of it though so not crazy on a per-serving basis.

We also do this. We can get a couple of meals from it.
TheStorm
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

$50.00!

Man, I can still remember when my wife would get herself a sandwich, fries and drink - and I would just get a QUART of 'cue and nothing else and it would be something like $15-$16... not that long ago in the big picture either (maybe only 10-12 years, tops).

They don't even sell the quarts anymore if that tells you anything.

I laughed the last time my wife brought me home some straight meat in a plastic tub from there... container was teeny, tiny.
Tootie4Pack
When I get to go to my favorite BBQ places, I always get an extra pound or two for the freezer. This talk of BBQ has got me rearranging my work schedule today so that I can go to Grady's in Dudley and get some of the best BBQ you will ever eat. Most under rated BBQ in the State.

I'll let you know how it tastes later today, and the cost of a pound. You guys are correct...the cost has certainly gone up the past couple of years.
GetOffMyLawnPack
TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

$50.00!

Man, I can still remember when my wife would get herself a sandwich, fries and drink - and I would just get a QUART of 'cue and nothing else and it would be something like $15-$16... not that long ago in the big picture either (maybe only 10-12 years, tops).

They don't even sell the quarts anymore if that tells you anything.

I laughed the last time my wife brought me home some straight meat in a plastic tub from there... container was teeny, tiny.
Ate at Parker's in Wilson last week. They are at the $10 threshold for a plate of barbecue or chicken. But that is still in the ballpark of doing the drive thru combo at Wendys or other hamburger joints, and much better meal.
caryking
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Civ, your back deck looks nice, in that previous picture you posted...
Civilized
caryking said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

Ha, thanks brother! We finally built ourselves a house last year and after having a small deck for years wanted to have a more functional one that had plenty of room for a table, seating, and grilling. We eat dinner out there several times a week and really enjoy it. It also looks down a creekbed, so we get a lot of wildlife back there considering our proximity to downtown. Neat to hear owls nightly and see foxes and even deer in that stream buffer from time to time. Nice place to grill out and have a cold one.

Now I just need to figure out a TV solution so I can sit back there and watch the Pack play.
caryking
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

Ha, thanks brother! We finally built ourselves a house last year and after having a small deck for years wanted to have a more functional one that had plenty of room for a table, seating, and grilling. We eat dinner out there several times a week and really enjoy it. It also looks down a creekbed, so we get a lot of wildlife back there considering our proximity to downtown. Neat to hear owls nightly and see foxes and even deer in that stream buffer from time to time. Nice place to grill out and have a cold one.

Now I just need to figure out a TV solution so I can sit back there and watch the Pack play.
That sounds extremely peaceful... I'm happy for you.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Civilized said:

caryking said:

I was going to say, get yourself a tv out there.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Brisket

I've been somewhat looking around for this type of cooker. I'll take a look. Thanks for posting.

Same, and also just got a rec this weekend from a buddy who has a RecTeq and has really liked it.

If anybody else can weigh in on their experiences with these two vs. the Bullet or any of the Kamado varieties I'm all ears!
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Brisket

Same, and also just got a rec this weekend from a buddy who has a RecTeq and has really liked it.

If anybody else can weigh in on their experiences with these two vs. the Bullet or any of the Kamado varieties I'm all ears!
Edit - I cant read, nevermind
packgrad
I have a Kamado Big Joe. Very easy to use for long smokes and holds temp exceptionally. You can buy blower accessories to more regulate temp if you so desire. I have one, that I don't often use, but its kind of neat to pull out from time to time.

I prefer the charcoal grills as opposed to the pellet grills as I believe you get a better smoke flavor. Just my opinion... I have cooked on and have friends that have cooked many smoked meats on different pellet grills. To me, there is always a substantive difference. It could be the cook though. I think the convenience factor in the pellet grills is tough to overcome for many. I'm occasionally tempted myself to get one. I'll probably get one one day too. For now, huge Kamado fan.

GetOffMyLawnPack
packgrad said:

I have a Kamado Big Joe. Very easy to use for long smokes and holds temp exceptionally. You can buy blower accessories to more regulate temp if you so desire. I have one, that I don't often use, but its kind of neat to pull out from time to time.

I prefer the charcoal grills as opposed to the pellet grills as I believe you get a better smoke flavor. Just my opinion... I have cooked on and have friends that have cooked many smoked meats on different pellet grills. To me, there is always a substantive difference. It could be the cook though. I think the convenience factor in the pellet grills is tough to overcome for many. I'm occasionally tempted myself to get one. I'll probably get one one day too. For now, huge Kamado fan.

Agree on the charcoal. I'm looking at trying some charcoal pellets; might be the best of both worlds:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak-100-Hardwood-Charcoal-Pellets-20-Pounds/591235746?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5046&gclsrc=aw.ds&adid=22222222277591235746_117755028669_12420145346&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=pla-394283752452&wl5=9009718&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=591235746&veh=sem_LIA&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1

ncsupack1
Enjoy following this topic.
Tootie4Pack
Tootie4Pack said:

When I get to go to my favorite BBQ places, I always get an extra pound or two for the freezer. This talk of BBQ has got me rearranging my work schedule today so that I can go to Grady's in Dudley and get some of the best BBQ you will ever eat. Most under rated BBQ in the State.

I'll let you know how it tastes later today, and the cost of a pound. You guys are correct...the cost has certainly gone up the past couple of years.

Two BBQ bits of info:

1) went to Grady's in Dudley today. As usual , outstanding wood cooked Q. Ate a sandwich with slaw there. Bought 2 pounds of Q and a pint of slaw. The Q is $13. Simply delicious. One in the fridge and the other in the freezer. And the sweet potato pie is worth the drive down there.

2) and ya'll are correct in saying that Smithfield barbecue does give generous servings on their sandwiches, and for Electric cooked barbecue, it is pretty good for sure. Their Brunswick stew is also delicious.

ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

1) went to Grady's in Dudley today. As usual , outstanding wood cooked Q. Ate a sandwich with slaw there. Bought 2 pounds of Q and a pint of slaw. The Q is $13. Simply delicious. One in the fridge and the other in the freezer. And the sweet potato pie is worth the drive down there.

2) and ya'll are correct in saying that Smithfield barbecue does give generous servings on their sandwiches, and for Electric cooked barbecue, it is pretty good for sure. Their Brunswick stew is also delicious.

I have to hit up Grady's here soon. As far as Smithfields I don't have a problem with it. Like you said, pretty good for how it's cooked, they also have some dang good fried chicken. For tonight, thinking of throwing some chicken on the grill.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Anyone grilling today and or yesterday?

Grilled consecutively Saturday, Sunday nights at the beach and Monday night back home.

Puerto Rican chicken (adobo and sazon rubbed marinaded split breasts); Mediterranean chicken (bone in thighs and boneless breasts with simple olive oil and salt/pepper marinade) and burgers on the three nights.

Perfect weather, tasty bevvies, and catching up with old friends made for a great MD weekend regardless but the Puerto Rican chicken was really the standout hit of the weekend from a culinary perspective. I used the America's Test Kitchen recipe. First time I'd tried it, turned out fantastic!

ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Anyone grilling today and or yesterday?

Grilled consecutively Saturday, Sunday nights at the beach and Monday night back home.

Puerto Rican chicken (adobo and sazon rubbed marinaded split breasts); Mediterranean chicken (bone in thighs and boneless breasts with simple olive oil and salt/pepper marinade) and burgers on the three nights.

Perfect weather, tasty bevvies, and catching up with old friends made for a great MD weekend regardless but the Puerto Rican chicken was really the standout hit of the weekend from a culinary perspective. I used the America's Test Kitchen recipe. First time I'd tried it, turned out fantastic!

Thanks.
caryking
Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Brunswick Stew at Smithfield's is better than delicious…
ncsupack1
caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Some good stuff.
packgrad
caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Smithfield's is my stop every time
I'm coastal from Durham. Heck, half the time when I'm headed South/West from Durham. I'm going to push back a little on this one.

Food snobbery acknowledged, Smithfield's Brunswick stew gets a little "porridgey" to me. A little thick. I blame it on the "chain" aspect, perhaps to absolve myself from loving an oven based BBQ restaurant. I like my stew a little more soupy/stewy. Seems the potatoes always thicken it up too much for my liking when we get it. Flavor is what I want though. On the head.

BBQ sandwich, fries, and a tea on the way to the beach though.... no other way to travel.
caryking
packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

I'm coastal from Durham. Heck, half the time when I'm headed South/West from Durham. I'm going to push back a little on this one.

Food snobbery acknowledged, Smithfield's Brunswick stew gets a little "porridgey" to me. A little thick. I blame it on the "chain" aspect, perhaps to absolve myself from loving an oven based BBQ restaurant. I like my stew a little more soupy/stewy. Seems the potatoes always thicken it up too much for my liking when we get it. Flavor is what I want though. On the head.

BBQ sandwich, fries, and a tea on the way to the beach though.... no other way to travel.

Substitute a Diet Coke and hush puppies and off to the beach, I go…
Civilized
packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Same. Seems like either the potato starch is thickening up the stew too much, or maybe they go heavier on tomato paste.

Their consistency is top shelf though. Basically everything on the menu is between 'above average' and 'very good', every time you walk into every location.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Same. Seems like either the potato starch is thickening up the stew too much, or maybe they go heavier on tomato paste.

Their consistency is top shelf though. Basically everything on the menu is between 'above average' and 'very good', every time you walk into every location.

100%. We haven't even talked about their wonderful fried chicken.

Best chain in the state.
ncsupack1
I've said many of times, they have great fried chicken.
Mormad
packgrad said:

I have BGEs and Recteq pellet smokers. I completely agree with you. Both do a great job, but the BGE is more fun and has better flavors and the Recteq is truly set it and forget it. I find myself using the Recteq much more often for the ease and convenience and the consistency of the cooks. Spatchcock chicken is great, and I smoked the best shoulder I've ever eaten last weekend. The BGE is unbeatable for steaks and burgers.
caryking
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Civ, I mentioned in another thread that your views are deranged, well… ok, I was wrong on some.
ncsupack1
Biscuits and gravy this am. Coffee in hand.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Thanks! Same with the Kamado affection and that's what's making me struggle with the decision. The convenience of pellets is obvious, but I'm worried about exactly what you describe, which is you lose some of that really great smoke during the cooks.

I had an Chargriller Akorn (inexpensive enameled steel Kamado) for 10 years that finally rusted out. I resolved when I bought it that I would try Kamado style cooking at the lower Chargriller price point, and if I really enjoyed it, I would step up to a true ceramic with the next one and that's where I'm at.

I'm sure the temp control wasn't as fine as the nicer ceramic models, but it was well insulated and until the seals really started getting some age on them the last couple of years it would hold good temp for a 10 or 12 hour cook.

I know you can get the side smoke box accessories for the pellet style smokers, but at that point, why aren't you just using a true charcoal smoker? When I smoke, I'm not looking for convenience, I'm looking for that flavor.

Also, from a convenience standpoint, you can use the airflow regulators like it sounds like you have.

Was there anything specific that pushed you towards the big Joe versus other Kamado's?
Civilized
Mormad said:

packgrad said:

I have BGEs and Recteq pellet smokers. I completely agree with you. Both do a great job, but the BGE is more fun and has better flavors and the Recteq is truly set it and forget it. I find myself using the Recteq much more often for the ease and convenience and the consistency of the cooks. Spatchcock chicken is great, and I smoked the best shoulder I've ever eaten last weekend. The BGE is unbeatable for steaks and burgers.

Thanks for nothing Mormad. I was hoping y'all would make my decision easier not harder.

Buddy I was at the beach with last weekend spent 30 minutes extolling the virtues of his Recteq as we were grilling down there.

Ideally you'd have three grills - gas, pellet smoker, charcoal smoker - but deciding on the smoker type if you're only going to have one is a tough decision.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.