2022 ACC Baseball Tournament 5/29 vs unc-ch noon espn2

60,776 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just not enough pitching at the start to get us going. A bad hop on the ball to Jarrett might have been a double play that helps keep it close. Stuff happens with the ball that you cannot control.

I thought Willadsen and Villaman pitched well. Villaman really well. Someone was mentioning last night that we should start Villaman and after what he did today, I think that might not be a bad idea for the regional. I know we need a closer, but he could win one whole game for you. He might save 2 , 3, or 4 in a weekend, but it would not bother me if he started a game next week.

It sucks losing to the Cheats, but it appears we have moved up to a #2 seed in the regional and if that is in Greenville, then we might be ok. The only thing, we never faced their weekend starters, but they did not face ours either.

Let's make some noise next week!

GO PACK!!
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
Borowolf10
I actually feel like we will rest up and will be able to make some noise in the tournament.
DrummerboyWolf
And one other thing. People complaining about who we started and why this guy didn't pitch or that guy didn't pitch. You don't know who might be injured or not. Some guys may have arm trouble and we already lost Sam and there may be other guys down too. UNC is hot right now, just like we were last year at this time. We just did not pitch well enough early. It's baseball and it happens.
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
PackCPA
Turning that limp of a regular season finish into a title game appearance is impressive. The guys play for Avent and the university, and it shows. I'm much higher on our chances next weekend than I was heading into the ACCT. Gotta be in it to win it and I'll take being in it and losing over not being there at all every day. Just not our day today.
DecaturWolf
We had a shot, and that is all one could ask of this particular team. Very proud of their fight and getting to the championship game. On another day and with a different start, who knows? It's baseball.
Posted for years as ColoradoWolf and Rick from Littleton. On Twitter as @espwapoujacmel
Civilized
CloudPack said:

Civilized said:

WarrenPeace said:

Wolfpacklife said:

Bagman said:

How can you still have a job when you're 0-8 in championship games? Bulk of those losses are to your rival. Avent is synonymous with loser.

Not really. 900 plus wins at State begs to differ

Agree. I love Avent and we're good every year. Amazingly frustrating not to win one by now. You just can't explain it.

Or you can explain it but no one wants to hear it.

Baseball isn't a single or double elimination tournament sport and it requires luck to win a one-game "series."

We should have lucked into one or two at least.

Roughly equal baseball teams don't normally win or lose seven straight. To do either takes really good or bad luck.

Maybe you should just go pull for UNC man it might be for the best at this point

Because I acknowledge that baseball has a ton of randomness and I'm unwilling to **** all over a team that made it back to the championship game after losing 6 of top 8 position players and 3 of our top 5 pitchers from last year and one of our aces this year?

LOL okay man keep being mad fan if it makes you feel better.
Wolfer79
NC State (36-21) was unable to overcome an early deficit and dropped a 9-5 loss to North Carolina (38-19) in the Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship game on Sunday afternoon at Truist Field.

For their efforts during the week, Devonte Brown, LuJames Groover III and Tommy White were named to the ACC Championship All-Tournament Team.

Despite the Wolfpack scoring first, the Tar Heels erupted for a combined eight runs in the first two innings and managed to hold their lead until the final out.

The Pack struck early with a run in the first. Brown led off with his 11th double of the season, and then after White drew a one-out walk Josh Hood came through with the RBI single through the left side.

North Carolina responded in the bottom frame when Vance Honeycutt blasted a two-run home run to left field, giving the Tar Heels the narrow 2-1 advantage through one complete.

The Heels added six runs on five hits and an error to take an 8-1 lead in the second inning. A Wolfpack miscue, base hit and hit-by-pitch loaded the bases to start the frame, and then a 2-RBI single by Angel Zarate followed by an RBI double by Danny Serretti and three-run home run from Honeycutt plated the runs.

North Carolina plated its final run in the fourth as Mac Horvath crossed home plate on a wild pitch after drawing a leadoff walk and moving to third on Serretti's single through the right side.

In the sixth, J.T. Jarrett reduced North Carolina's lead with a two-RBI double down the left field line after Groover and White started the inning with back-to-back base hits.

The Pack started to battle back in the final frame with two outs when Brown hit an RBI double off the center field wall, scoring pinch hitter Chase Nixon after he reached on a two-base error to start the rally. Groover then singled up the middle to allow Brown to score and make it 9-5, but North Carolina was able to induce a force out at second to end the game.

Chris Villaman entered the game in the fourth inning and kept the Heels at bay as he faced 15 batters and sat all 15 batters down, highlighted by eight strikeouts. Dating back to last year's ACC Championship game, Villaman has tossed 9.1 hitless innings in title games.

Both Brown and Groover III finished 3-for-5 at the plate with an RBI with Brown adding two doubles and two runs to his stat line.

NC State will now await its fate for the NCAA Tournament. The host sites will be announced later this evening at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN bottom lines, and the selection show will be Monday, May 30 at 12 p.m. on ESPN2.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/29/baseball-wolfpack-falls-in-acc-championship-game.aspx

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.