2022 ACC Baseball Tournament 5/29 vs unc-ch noon espn2

62,170 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you haven't had enough Tommy tonight, Tommy Boy starting on Paramount in 10 minutes.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
WolfQuacker
Helluva a win. Postseason secured now for sure.

Who has the rundown on pitching availability left for Sat and hopefully Sunday?
DrummerboyWolf
Great win for the guys. They showed a lot of toughness the whole game through.

Groover was excellent in the field and at the plate.

Tommy White with another phenomenal game. Congrats to him on the single season home run record at State and tying the NCAA freshman record. Hopefully he can get at least one more.

Great pitching by Willadsen. He gave a great effort and had Miami fooled the whole night except for one pitch. Villaman came in and was pumping gas. His ball had a lot of jump and movement tonight. He stuck with the fastballs there at the end and he was bringing it. On the one strikeout that the batter fouled off after the strike ended up being the right call. I did not see him foul tip it initially on the pitch.

Great job by Elliott and the staff. The only problem I have was on the Devonte squeeze. If you are going to bunt there then just go ahead and roll the dice with a suicide and not a safety squeeze. If we had tried the suicide and it failed I have no problem at all. If you are going to safety squeeze there, I personally would rather see Devo hit.

Let's rest up for a few days and come back Saturday and get Pitt.

GO PACK!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Colonel Armstrong
Awesome win!! Let's keep it going boys
wilmwolf
WolfQuacker said:

All of our weekend starters have thrown the last two days, and Villaman twice. Availability is, whomever can throw, get ready. I'm guessing Payne gets the start. Best arms after that are Adams, Harrison, and Nelson. Gonna need to score some runs.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Wolfpacklife
SportManagementEngineer said:

If you haven't had enough Tommy tonight, Tommy Boy starting on Paramount in 10 minutes.

All timer. That movie is up there with Blacksheep too
DrummerboyWolf

Walks will kill you when you play one of the best teams in the country.
Walks and errors kill you all the time. Doesn't matter who you are playing.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

WolfQuacker said:

All of our weekend starters have thrown the last two days, and Villaman twice. Availability is, whomever can throw, get ready. I'm guessing Payne gets the start. Best arms after that are Adams, Harrison, and Nelson. Gonna need to score some runs.

Silver?
SportManagementEngineer
DrummerboyWolf said:

Walks will kill you when you play one of the best teams in the country.
Walks and errors kill you all the time. Doesn't matter who you are playing.
It was our best defensive performance of the year. We were making the plays. Felt like last year's team for a night.
pack2010
IMO for the weekend, everyone is available minus Willadsen. Villaman probably not saturday, but if we make it to sunday him and Whitaker would be able to throw atleast a little bit.

Not talking sending anyone out for a while, but i think we could get 30-50 pitches from most of those guys
wilmwolf
Wolfer79 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

WolfQuacker said:

Silver?

He threw an inning and a third yesterday. He could definitely go this weekend. I think we try and save him for Sunday, but who knows.
SportManagementEngineer
So looking to Saturday. Should be a good amount of red out there.

Am I correct in assuming we're the home team since we're the 10 and Pitt is the 11 seed? Both teams will get a couple days to rest.

Who do we have left to start? I assume we're looking at a bullpen day.
DrummerboyWolf
The reason Godman was playing is because first he was right handed against their lefty ace, but Cozart was unable to run at all after the play at the plate yesterday. He might could have pinch hit, but you would have had to put a runner in for him. Hopefully he will ready by Saturday.

In my opinion, the reason Godman was bunting was to try to stay out of the double play and let Brown get a swing with a runner on. He didn't execute.

JT always tries to bunt for hits and he tried tonight but he got it too close to the first basemen.

I mentioned the Brown bunt above. If you are going to bunt him there, which I did not have a problem with, then use it as a suicide and Green scores easily. I hate to give up outs and Avent was notorious for bunting runners over and I never liked it. The last 4-6 years he lets his guys hit much more than he used too. If you get the 1 and 2 batters in your lineup on in the first inning, then use your #3 guy to bunt them over is foolish. I used to get into it with a "baseball know it all" about it all the time on PackPride. I'm from the Earl Weaver school. You only get 27 outs, don't give them away.
BigLefty24
A suicide bunt at the college/pro level is basically a guaranteed out almost every time. There's a reason you never see it at that level.

Folks get all worked up about a bunt. I coached forever, and personally, I absolutely hated a bunt. But there are times I'm ok with it, and that was one of those times. You've got one out and a runner on first. You're up three with six outs to play. Take out the chance for the double play and try to push across one more insurance run. The safety squeeze is your highest percentage play there. It's basically a read play by the runner on third. Brown pushes that ball out another 2-3 feet, and the runner walks in untouched.

The only question I would have is doing it with your #3 hitter. Typically, that dude is the best hitter in your lineup. I'm fine with bunting or swinging away. I don't think either is a bad call. We're only debating it because it didnt work.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

Packsd14me
pack2010 said:

IMO for the weekend, everyone is available minus Willadsen. Villaman probably not saturday, but if we make it to sunday him and Whitaker would be able to throw atleast a little bit.

Not talking sending anyone out for a while, but i think we could get 30-50 pitches from most of those guys

Villaman will throw if needed an inning Saturday. That's two days rest for a reliever after 4 innings . Hopefully, Payne, Nelson or Kelly and Silver do it without him. Then Sunday is Lawson, Whitaker, maybe Willasden 30 pitches if needed and Villaman 2 innings. Just need the bats to stay hot.
EthanBarry
Staff
Willadsen is a warrior
wilmwolf
I didn't have a problem with any of the times we tried to bunt tonight. Godman has been a good backup catcher, but hasn't been a hitter through a pretty long career. Jarrett actually should probably bunt more than he does. The squeeze with Brown was the right call. Any play that has to be fielded perfectly to get you out is the right call.
wilmwolf
When Chris hits em with the pimp step, you know it's on.

DrummerboyWolf
BigLefty24 said:

A suicide bunt at the college/pro level is basically a guaranteed out almost every time. There's a reason you never see it at that level.

Folks get all worked up about a bunt. I coached forever, and personally, I absolutely hated a bunt. But there are times I'm ok with it, and that was one of those times. You've got one out and a runner on first. You're up three with six outs to play. Take out the chance for the double play and try to push across one more insurance run. The safety squeeze is your highest percentage play there. It's basically a read play by the runner on third. Brown pushes that ball out another 2-3 feet, and the runner walks in untouched.

The only question I would have is doing it with your #3 hitter. Typically, that dude is the best hitter in your lineup. I'm fine with bunting or swinging away. I don't think either is a bad call. We're only debating it because it didnt work.
We will have to agree to disagree. I don't mind the bunt by Brown(He's #1 batter if that is what you are referring too) but if I am going to bunt to get a 4 run lead at that point in the game, then I take the chance on the suicide. He was out on the safety squeeze anyway. He scores on the suicide.
BigLefty24
He doesn't score on a suicide, cause as soon as the runner breaks for home, the third baseman is screaming and the pitcher simply throws it high and tight so that there no chance the bunt gets down. Automatic chin music.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

FlockaWolf
That was an absolutely electric game to be at. 3 tommy tanks was all I could ask for and we got the win. Great night!

Also, the homerun #4 on Miami hit just landed in the ocean.
PossumJenkins
That was an absolute moon shot. Looked like it was still climbing as it went over the roof.
StateFan77
Who is home team Saturday?
PackCPA
Great showing from the Pack fans so far. Let's keeping it rolling even stronger this weekend. Tommy said in the postgame how the crowd helped the boys.
wilmwolf
wilmwolf80 said:

I don't mind the draw. We've seen the very best of Wake already, and the team should be very motivated. To advance you're gonna have to beat a good team, may as well be Miami, we owe them some get back from several years back in the tourney. If our starters give us what they did this past weekend, and we hit anywhere near what we are capable of, we can advance.

Not exactly as I envisioned it, but still got dubs.
WolfQuacker
StateFan77 said:

Who is home team Saturday?
Good guys are Home.
Cthepack
PackCPA said:

Great showing from the Pack fans so far. Let's keeping it rolling even stronger this weekend. Tommy said in the postgame how the crowd helped the boys.
Listen to Tommy. And remember to get back to your seats before the start of the 3rd quarter!!!
Wolfer79
Tommy White hit three home runs on Wednesday night to break the NC State Baseball single season home run record as the Wolfpack (35-20) clinched its third-straight ACC Championship semifinal appearance with a 9-6 win over Miami (39-17) at Truist Field.

The Wolfpack scored in five of the first six innings and tallied 12 hits en route to the victory, as White had five runs batted in with his three homers while LuJames Groover III had a 3-for-5 outing with three RBIs and three runs scored and Noah Soles turned in a 2-for-3 performance.

White got the Pack on the board in the first inning with his first home run of the night, a solo shot to right field, to give his team a 1-0 lead.

The Hurricanes took a 4-1 lead in the third on a RBI single by CJ Kayfus and a three-run homer by Yohandy Morales after back-to-back walks started the inning, but White cut the deficit to one in the bottom frame with a two-run homer to right field after Groover reached on a one-out double to right field.

The Pack took its lead back in the fourth with three runs on four hits and an error, making it 6-4. Soles and Devonte Brown both tallied base hits to put runners at first and second, and Groover delivered with a two-run double off the right field wall to score the go-ahead run. Then, after White was intentionally walked, a Josh Hood infield single and error sent Groover home for the insurance run.

Miami trimmed the lead to one in the fifth when Maxwell Romero, Jr. launched a solo shot to right field, but Noah Soles answered in the bottom half of the inning with the team's third home run of the night and his fourth of the year to give the Pack a 7-5 lead.

In the sixth, White belted his third home run of the night to right field following Groover's leadoff single up the middle, extending the Pack's lead to 9-5 to break the NC State single season home run record with his 26th of the year.

The program record stood for 34 years as it was last done by Turtle Zaun in 1988, and the national record which White tied was last held alone by Georgia Southern's Todd Greene in 1990. Additionally, it tied the ACC Championship record for most home runs in a single game, as it has only been done five times previously and last done by Louisville's Alex Binelas in 2021.

The Canes got a run back in the seventh when Morales' RBI single to left field scored Kayfus after he drew a one-out walk and moved into scoring position on a wild pitch.

Miami looked to rally in the ninth by bringing the game-tying run to the plate after a leadoff single and one-out walk put runners at first and second, but Chris Villaman tallied back-to-back strikeouts to end the threat.

Matt WIlladsen was phenomenal out of the pen in his first relief appearance of the season, tossing six complete innings and surrendering two earned runs with eight strikeouts to improve to 5-4 on the season. Villaman collected his 11th save of the season after recording the final two outs of the game.

NC State will face Pitt Saturday in the semifinal matchup at Truist Field, with first pitch set for 5 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the ACC Network and there will be a radio broadcast on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App. If NC State were to get a win Saturday, the championship game is set for 12 p.m. on ESPN2.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/25/baseball-white-breaks-program-home-run-record-pack9-advances-to-acc-championship-semis.aspx
Bismarck
Big credit to Godman last night. Looked totally overmatched in his first at bat, striking out. Popped up a bunt for an out.

Then, finishes fighting back for a walk and then a hit and run single to right.

Cool to see.
78wilsonpack
So, I'm out of the country. Pls a little help. What's the first game of the weekend and second and potential s? Like I'm 6 hours ahead of u and would like to follow along as the best I could.
castlewood107
The semis are on Saturday on ACCN:

UNC/VT winner vs. ND/FSU winner, 1pm
State vs. Pitt, 5 pm (more like 5:30 or later probably)

Championship is Sunday at noon (ESPN2)
SportManagementEngineer
castlewood107 said:

The semis are on Saturday on ACCN:

UNC/VT winner vs. ND/FSU winner, 1pm
State vs. Pitt, 5 pm (more like 5:30 or later probably)

Championship is Sunday at noon (ESPN2)

Four of the six games today and tomorrow are meaningless.
DrummerboyWolf
BigLefty24 said:

He doesn't score on a suicide, cause as soon as the runner breaks for home, the third baseman is screaming and the pitcher simply throws it high and tight so that there no chance the bunt gets down. Automatic chin music.
That might happen and I know where the pitcher is supposed to throw it, but he also may be wild with the pitch and if Green times it right, the pitcher would already be committed to where he was throwing it. The safety did not work and it was not close. Green was out by 10 feet. And as I said initially, if you are not going to suicide on that play, then let Devonte hit.

Again we will have to agree to disagree. Luckily that play did not hurt us.
ecbwolf
Are they in the first base or third base dugouts Saturday?
CLTWolf
ecbwolf said:

Are they in the first base or third base dugouts Saturday?
Should be third base as the home team
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.