2022 ACC Baseball Tournament 5/29 vs unc-ch noon espn2

62,166 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
CLTWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfpack8602 said:

PossumJenkins said:

Love the folks who haven't shown up on a thread all year til the champ game. You guys are clowns. We are throwing the best arms we have on short rest. If Avent threw the other guys, you'd wonder why he didn't throw our best guys on short days? The Holes are also basically the hottest team in the country right now. No one is out there trying to lose.

Blow it out your ass. We are all fans here just because we don't live our lives on these message boards doesn't mean *****
Your first baseball post all season...yeah, you're totally a fan...

Same sht happened last year, all the supposed fans of the baseball team decide to show up for the championship game and all of a sudden have an educated opinion about the team. Hilarious.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
Bell Tower Grey
TraCha4 said:

Wow…. Just got home from church and turned the game on. What the hell?

Friend, sometimes it's better not knowing. Just know it was bad. It wasn't painless, but it was over quickly.
SniderFC
Being a State fan is so hard sometimes man.
78wilsonpack
Out of the country.
How bad is it?
Score and inning?
PackPA2015
Willadsen is getting comfortable. Just need to string some hits together. Bottom of the lineup has to give us something today.
CLTWolf
78wilsonpack said:

Out of the country.
How bad is it?
Score and inning?
Top of the 4 coming up...

pain (8-1 them)
kbdavis33
I really do like our baseball team. Very fun to follow. Last year was incredible.

But they absolutely don't know how to deal with the moment in this game. Too many times with the same result. Last year pitching was lights out and batters folded. This year pitching and fielding letting them down. We've been here countless times and it's always the same result. It's okay to place blame on the team. Doesnt mean you're a bad fan
Bell Tower Grey
8 - 1 T4. holes
Wolfpacklife
Shoot anything can happen. We just need to start getting some hits together. After the TCU game years ago, we know we can do this. Just need to start now
Wolfer79
Andrew4343 said:

Either we don't have arms available or a manger/pitching coach mistake. Only two options

took a chance on Whitaker on short race after 45 pitches Tuesday rather than bullpen day with Adams or Payne staring
Andrew4343
I'm in no way saying I know what the right move would have been. I do think faster pitches work better in big games. Easy to say when the other starts is throwing mid 90s and strikes.

Wolfer79 said:

Andrew4343 said:

Either we don't have arms available or a manger/pitching coach mistake. Only two options

took a chance on Whitaker on short race after 45 pitches Tuesday rather than bullpen day with Adams or Payne staring
CLTWolf
Wolfer79 said:

Andrew4343 said:

Payne and Adams have been absolutely beat up their last couple appearances. No way you go with those guys in this game.
Bagman
How can you still have a job when you're 0-8 in championship games? Bulk of those losses are to your rival. Avent is synonymous with loser.
Andrew4343
0-7 right now. Still 5 innings of baseball to play. Amazing accomplishment to be in the game so often…still gotta win one at some point.
Wolfpacklife
Bagman said:

How can you still have a job when you're 0-8 in championship games? Bulk of those losses are to your rival. Avent is synonymous with loser.

Not really. 900 plus wins at State begs to differ
CLTWolf
Bagman said:

I bet you felt big typing this out, huh?
PossumJenkins
kbdavis33 said:

I really do like our baseball team. Very fun to follow. Last year was incredible.

But they absolutely don't know how to deal with the moment in this game. Too many times with the same result. Last year pitching was lights out and batters folded. This year pitching and fielding letting them down. We've been here countless times and it's always the same result. It's okay to place blame on the team. Doesnt mean you're a bad fan

I just don't think there's any blame to place is all. The tarholes are literally the hottest team in the country. And there are only two guys playing this year from last years team…so i just don't think you can judge it that way year to year. Not to mention our best pitcher on this team is sitting in the dugout and has been most of the season. I certainly don't think pointing out short coming makes anyone a bad fan. But coming on here simply to say Avent sucks and so does the team…isn't very additive.

And to be clear i wasn't saying you were doing that..just the folks on here that were
metcalfmafia
PossumJenkins said:

kbdavis33 said:

I just don't think there's any blame to place is all. The tarholes are literally the hottest team in the country. And there are only two guys playing this year from last years team…so i just don't think you can judge it that way year to year. Not to mention our best pitcher on this team is sitting in the dugout and has been most of the season. I certainly don't think pointing out short coming makes anyone a bad fan. But coming on here simply to say Avent sucks and so does the team…isn't very additive.

Amen.
Civilized
Anyone complaining about pitching staff management is completely resulting.

There were no obvious or clearly superior strategies this deep in this tourney. Pitch your better pitchers on short rest or throw your less dynamic arms on more rest.

Both are suboptimal and to say you'd rather have taken the opposite approach to throwing your stronger arm on short rest is all hindsight fallacy at this point.
WarrenPeace
Wolfpacklife said:

Bagman said:

Not really. 900 plus wins at State begs to differ

Agree. I love Avent and we're good every year. Amazingly frustrating not to win one by now. You just can't explain it.
flylike44
I'm far from a baseball expert and identify as a casual fan. The great news is that we played our way off the bubble right? Still have a chance to make some noise. Game's not over today either. Question: If the good guys don't win, will our pitchers be rested for the regionals?
metcalfmafia
I love Wolfpack baseball more than a lot of things in life. But I'm gonna go enjoy the weather folks. Go Pack!
CLTWolf
flylike44 said:

I'm far from a baseball expert and identify as a casual fan. The great news is that we played our way off the bubble right? Still have a chance to make some noise. Game's not over today either. Question: If the good guys don't win, will our pitchers be rested for the regionals?
100% they will. Regionals don't start until next weekend so it'll be just like starting another series. Willadsen will have 5 days rest as he'll probably go Saturday, his normal day.
Wolfpacklife
For the random posters who only mark success with a championship. A little reading when you cool off:

From gopack:
"Avent's 25 years in Raleigh have created a legacy of victories and of individual and collective achievement:

926 career victories
19 NCAA regionals
5 NCAA Super Regionals
37 All-Americans
7 of the 9 first-team All-Americans in the program's 117-year history
40 first-team All-ACC selections
90 total All-ACC selections
120 players taken in the MLB draft, 47 since 2014
ACC and National Coach of the Year in 2003
2021 ABCA/Rawlings Atlantic Region Coach of the Year
Selected for the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team coaching staff in 2004 and '15, and named manager of the team in 2021
Won a Gold Medal with Team at the World University Games in Chinese Taipei in 2004

Since 2003, Avent has elevated NC State baseball to an entirely new level:

710 victories -- an average of more than 38 per season
16 NCAA Tournament appearances
A school-record six consecutive NCAA appearances from 2003-08, and 10 NCAA appearances in the last 11 seasons
First-ever NCAA Regional hosted on campus in 2008, second in 2012, third in 2013, fourth in 2016 and fifth in 2018
Five NCAA Regional championships, five Super Regional appearances, and two Super Regional championships
33 All-Americans and 68 All-ACC selections

No previous period in the program's history comes close to duplicating that level of success. The buzz surrounding Wolfpack baseball really began to take off when Doak Field at Dail Park was renovated during the 2003 and 2004 seasons:

Annual attendance has risen more than 65 percent since the ballpark reopened in 2005
From 30,407 in 2005 and a then school record of more than 48,000 in 2008
The Wolfpack broke that record by drawing 52,840 in 2012, benefitting from the Raleigh Regional which welcomed 13,324 over four days
The 2012 average of 1,554 per game smashed the previous record
The 2018 season drew in a program record 100,533 fans, and in 2019 the average single-season attendance hit an all-time high of 2,682"
Wolfer79
CLTWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

Andrew4343 said:

Payne and Adams have been absolutely beat up their last couple appearances. No way you go with those guys in this game.

hence the problem
4 games in 6 days exposes lack of quality pitching
packman34
Bagman said:

Because he has been here 28yrs now. Not going to fire Avent but they sure as hell better not expect a championship of any kind from him either. Once he retires, hope will be restored for winning something significant.
Wolfpacklife
Wolfer79 said:

CLTWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

Andrew4343 said:

hence the problem

Ding ding ding!!
SportManagementEngineer
I probably would've just given Villaman the day off at this point
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
CLTWolf
Wolfer79 said:

CLTWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

Andrew4343 said:

hence the problem
Injuries will do that to a pitching staff, unfortunately.
flylike44
CLTWolf said:

flylike44 said:

100% they will. Regionals don't start until next weekend so it'll be just like starting another series. Willadsen will have 5 days rest as he'll probably go Saturday, his normal day.

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing what these guys can do. If they lose today, regroup and literally come out swinging. Back to back CWS' has a nice ring to it! (I know, long way to go).
M_A
Putting Villaman in a 9-1 game and him getting injured is 100% on Avent
"It's ACC Championship or bust, quite honestly"
Andrew4343
I disagree. If his arm is ok and he can give you 40-50 pitches or 2-3 innings then it keeps us in the game.
Now you take him out and see if he can get that blister cut before the regiobal
CLTWolf
flylike44 said:

CLTWolf said:

flylike44 said:

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing what these guys can do. If they lose today, regroup and literally come out swinging. Back to back CWS' has a nice ring to it! (I know, long way to go).
Would love to see it. This team making a Super Regional would be a great feat as they are so young and without the staff All American Friday starter. Hell, making the game today is a testament to the team and coaching staff, considering.
SportManagementEngineer
Andrew4343 said:

I disagree. If his arm is ok and he can give you 40-50 pitches or 2-3 innings then it keeps us in the game.
Now you take him out and see if he can get that blister cut before the regiobal
Keep us in the game? Its like 9-1 man. If you were cool with him going long, might as well have just started him.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Andrew4343
He's fine. It's a cut, not a long term arm injury. Got a week to heel up, they will take him out if it's not right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.