2022 ACC Baseball Tournament 5/29 vs unc-ch noon espn2

62,253 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wolfer79
SportManagementEngineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cmast said:

top of the 9th and we are up 6?

11-8 State. Two outs and two on for Wake after a state error *drink*
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
wilmwolf
Had to stay away from the game thread today. Big time dub.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
HappyHooker73
^^^Much appreciated. Thank you.
Go Pack9! Big win!
It’s a RED State!
cmast
SportManagementEngineer said:

cmast said:

top of the 9th and we are up 6?

11-8 State. Two outs and two on for Wake after a state error *drink*
thanks for the updates! go Pack!
Wolfer79
final
NC State 11
Wake Forest 8
DrummerboyWolf
It never fails, we never can make it easy in any sport at any time. I have very little hair left on my head as it is, but it's no wonder that I still have any at all with all the ups and downs of being a Wolfpack fan.

Great comeback by the guys as they finally got the bats rolling. All 6 of the runs in the 5th came with two outs. Big, big hit by Jacob Cozart. Josh Hood with two big time hits too.

I imagine Willadsen will be going tomorrow against Miami. This win should put us in but one never knows. Let's get one against Miami and those two wins should help our RPI a lot.

GO PACK!!
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfpacklife
Great W. Happy for the guys and excited the bats came back. Let's keep it rollin!
DrummerboyWolf
And let me add, Villaman had me worried when he first came in. He is throwing hard but his ball is not moving and is staying flat. College hitters can hit that and Wake did in the 7th. Really had me worried on the Green bobble, but Chris got it done.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
SportManagementEngineer
Go out and throw everything you've got tomorrow night against Miami. Should have a bit more red in the stands for a night game. Bats can take the momentum from today, and we've got a stable of arms to use.
Colonel Armstrong
Go get 'em tomorrow and let's go to the Semis!
PossumJenkins
That was an enjoyable day at the ballpark
Wolfer79
NC State baseball (34-20) got its revenge on Tuesday afternoon over Wake Forest (39-17-1) in its first game of ACC Championship pool play with an 11-8 comeback victory at Triust Field.

The Wolfpack had suffered a series sweep to the Demon Deacons in its last time out to close out nonconference play, but managed to score six runs in the fifth after trailing early, and five more in the seventh en route to securing the win and put itself on the brink of its third-straight semifinal berth.

Wake Forest got on the board in the first inning thanks to a double play after Tommy Hawke and Pierce Bennett led off with hits and Michael Turconi drew a walk to load the bases up with no outs.

The Demon Deacons plated three more runs in the fourth, extending their lead to 4-0. Brendan Tinsman and Nick Kurtz started the frame with a single and double to the right side of the diamond, and Brock Wilken drove in the first run with an infield single. Danny Corona then delivered with a two-out 2-RBI double to right center to score the other two runs.

NC State made a six-run surge in the fifth to take its first lead of the day at 6-4. The Pack got on the board when Jacob Cozart came through with a two-run double down the right field line, sending Noah Soles and Dominic Pilolli home after they both drew walks and moved into scoring position on Payton Green's fly out to deep center field.

LuJames Groover III, Josh Hood and J.T. Jarrett added four more runs in the frame on a pair of run-scoring doubles and a bases-loaded walk.

Wake made it a one-run game in the sixth on Jake Reinisch's RBI single to right center after Wilken led off with a triple to right field, but the Pack answered in the seventh with five runs to take an 11-5 lead. Hood belted a solo shot over the left field wall to start the scoring, and then an RBI triple by Pilolli followed by back-to-back homers from Payton Green and Devonte Brown brought the other four runs across.

In the bottom of the seventh the Deacs cut into their deficit with three runs to make it 11-8 on Kurtz's RBI double to left field and Wilken's two-run shot to left field.

Wake looked to rally in the ninth, bringing the game-tying run to the plate with two outs after a walk, passed ball and fielding error put runners at the corners, but a swinging strikeout ended the game.

Cozart (2-for-2) and Hood (2-for-5) combined for half of the team's hits in the contest and drove in a combined five runs on the day as Hood tallied three RBIs and Cozart had two.

On the mound Justin Lawson, Canaan Silver and Chris Villaman combined for the win. Lawson tossed the first 4.2 innings of the contest, then gave way to Silver who went 1.1 innings to improve to 7-1 on the year. Villaman closed out the game, hurling three innings to pick up his 10th save of the year.

NC State will wrap up its pool play portion of the tournament Wednesday when it faces third-seeded Miami at 7 p.m. at Truist Field. With a win, the Pack would advance to the semifinals Saturday.

The game will be broadcast on Regional Sports Networks and there will be a radio broadcast on WKNC 88.1 and the Varsity Network App.

https://gopack.com/news/2022/5/24/baseball-pack9-earns-revenge-over-demon-deacons-in-acc-championship-play.aspx
89_Grad
Guess we are the Tampa Bay Lightning of college baseball. Screw around until the postseason, and then get it in gear. Nice to see the two out hitting. That has been rare this season.
Wolfer79
Pittsburgh beats Louisville and advances to semifinals on Saturday
Glasswolf
Welcome to Saturday Pitt Baseball
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Cotten
How does Miami adv to semis if they win against us tonight? What happens if all 3 teams are 1-1?
SportManagementEngineer
Cotten said:

How does Miami adv to semis if they win against us tonight? What happens if all 3 teams are 1-1?
If all three teams are 1-1 the highest seed in the pool advances. Hence why being a top 4 seed is a big deal.
griff17matt
Cotten said:

highest seed advances i believe
wilmwolf
Here's my yearly complaint about how much I dislike this format.
Tom OBriens Smile
Its definitely a little goofy - 12 Pool Round Games where 8 games have elimination consequences and 4 have no relevance to the outcome. An ideal conference tournament is a tricky one to solve.

Edit: In hindsight, how many have no relevance depends on how its scheduled. This pool with UVA/FSU/ND could have all 3 games matter since their top tiebreaking team is playing in the first game and a loss by them wouldn't eliminate either. Though, I don't really get why if the top seeds have the choice, why they would be playing first - sort of eliminates the advantage of setting up the game you need to win. But again, this all speaks to how odd the format is.
DJncsu13
I don't mind the pool format, but highly dislike the "highest seed advances". Put some actual baseball metrics on it, like runs allowed, run differential, something other than "highest seed".
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
wilmwolf
I dislike everything about it. Only two teams don't get to participate? That's goofy. Either cut it to a meaningful number of teams or just let everyone play There are four meaningless games played. Goofy. If you insist on a pod format, games shouldn't have to be played if the pod has already been decided. Teams in some pods play two days in a row and then don't play for two days. Goofy. Pitching staffs get taxed with a short layoff before the real post season starts. Goofy. I'd rather just decide the champion in the regular season and let the teams rest for the CWS personally, or have the division winners play a three game series if you need a tournament. It won't happen because they need to fill TV slots, I just really don't like the way it is currently.
Wolfpacklife
DJncsu13 said:

I don't mind the pool format, but highly dislike the "highest seed advances". Put some actual baseball metrics on it, like runs allowed, run differential, something other than "highest seed".

Yep. Highest seed is just the easy way out which of course they take
SportManagementEngineer
wilmwolf80 said:

I dislike everything about it. Only two teams don't get to participate? That's goofy. Either cut it to a meaningful number of teams or just let everyone play There are four meaningless games played. Goofy. If you insist on a pod format, games shouldn't have to be played if the pod has already been decided. Teams in some pods play two days in a row and then don't play for two days. Goofy. Pitching staffs get taxed with a short layoff before the real post season starts. Goofy. I'd rather just decide the champion in the regular season and let the teams rest for the CWS personally, or have the division winners play a three game series if you need a tournament. It won't happen because they need to fill TV slots, I just really don't like the way it is currently.
They need to fill TV spots but don't even show any of the pool play games on the ACC Network. Goofy.
griff17matt
DJncsu13 said:

I suppose it's to reward a good regular season with the benefit of the doubt. Not sure it's the best solution but it's certainly the easiest.
knights4
Win and play Pitt on Saturday! Let's go pack!
Colonel Armstrong
I like that the top 4 seeds get that big tie breaker advantage. Makes the regular season more meaningful
Scwuffpak

wilmwolf80 said:

They need to fill TV spots but don't even show any of the pool play games on the ACC Network. Goofy.
Yeah I was looking at what the ACC Network was showing while the games were being played yesterday. It was replays of spring games, rowing, and some other worthless stuff. Meanwhile, on the SEC network, they were actually showing games from their tournament. It is crazy!!!
Wolfpack

wilmwolf80 said:

This is more than goofy. Just plain incompetent. Swoff has ****ed the ACC, even UNC fans would admit it
pack2010
I might be one of the few that doesn't mind the format. You get rewarded for having a good regular season, and it guarantees atleast 2 games for each team which is big for bubble teams (or even possible host teams).

The SEC single elim into double elim is much worse and worse for teams arms, IMO.
Wbtaylor
Guess Cozart and Pololli are out due to injury?
pack2010
Wbtaylor said:

Guess Cozart and Pololli are out due to injury?

Miami is throwing their ace, who is a lefty. Might be why Dom P is sitting
pack2010
all that being said, the breakdown so far is:

Winner of NCSU/Miami plays Pitt in semi final #1
The winner of UNC/VT Friday and the winner of FSU/ND is the other semi-final
Borowolf10
Godman has a bad habit of jumping up when he thinks it's strike 3. Let the ump see it and call it.
Borowolf10
In other news Whitaker is dealing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.