Scouting Vanderbilt -- CWS Bracket 1 Semis -- 6/25, 3:07pm EDT start

79,428 Views | 820 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sf59
flylike44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

Trees will tap dance, elephants will drive at Indy and Orson Welles will skip lunch before North Carolina State finds a way to beat Vanderbilt in the College World Series Friday night.

And with good reason, because Vandy with Rocker is reckoned a cinch to win this national championship. After seeing what Vanderbilt did to Stanford--which is what Mount St. Helens did to unsuspecting trees--only zealots and lovers of stray dogs give N.C. State any chance.

Very well played sir.
CLTWolf
flylike44 said:

Anyone, anywhere, any time. LFG.

This right here. This is the mindset.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
bigeric
flylike44 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Trees will tap dance, elephants will drive at Indy and Orson Welles will skip lunch before North Carolina State finds a way to beat Vanderbilt in the College World Series Friday night.

And with good reason, because Vandy with Rocker is reckoned a cinch to win this national championship. After seeing what Vanderbilt did to Stanford--which is what Mount St. Helens did to unsuspecting trees--only zealots and lovers of stray dogs give N.C. State any chance.

Very well played sir.
I kinda like State's chances better Friday afternoon.
Like I said, if you cant get hyped for the Carolina game, why are you here?
-Earl Wolff-
metcalfmafia
Whose ready to see Rocker's mom and dad for half the game?!
WilmingtonPackman777
If only NC State's players had parents.
CLTWolf
WilmingtonPackman777 said:

If only NC State's players had parents.
LOL

Orphans...all of them. The adopted children of Omaha!

But seriously, I met a bunch of parents at the games last weekend and those are some lucky kids. If only ESPN took the time.
kmb717
Looks like there is going to be a lot of storms in the area the next few days. Could make pitching decisions very interesting if we get any rain delays.
AlleyPack
kmb717 said:

Looks like there is going to be a lot of storms in the area the next few days. Could make pitching decisions very interesting if we get any rain delays.

If that does end up being the case for Friday (likely rain delays) then I'd probably go with Willadsen -- because he is almost always paired up with Villaman, and if there's a long rain delay that prevents Willadsen from returning to the game, then it would be a natural progression to have Villaman go out there and continue for State.
Wolfer79
kmb717
AlleyPack said:

kmb717 said:

If that does end up being the case for Friday (likely rain delays) then I'd probably go with Willadsen -- because he is almost always paired up with Villaman, and if there's a long rain delay that prevents Willadsen from returning to the game, then it would be a natural progression to have Villaman go out there and continue for State.

Rain delays may not be a bad thing for us. Could knock Rocker out of the game.
CLTWolf
kmb717 said:

AlleyPack said:

kmb717 said:

Rain delays may not be a bad thing for us. Could knock Rocker out of the game.
I like where your head's at but it would have to be timed up just right, I'd think. We'd also lose our starter too BUT we could counter with Villaman which isn't a terrible plan B.
NCSUWolfPack92
If you're going to win the CWS in a week and a half, you have to get contributions from more than just two pitchers. Especially if you go into the loser's bracket.

If I'm Vandy, I'm throwing Rocker on Friday and if they win, Johnny Wholestaff on Saturday. You'll have to get contributions from someone else anyways.
BBwolfpacker
Trying to buy tickets on the State side, looks like ESPN has us listed on the bottom as the home team. Is that what others are going off of?
DecaturWolf
SCOUTING VANDERBILT:

They are 0-1 against the Pack with their soon-to-be Hall of Fame pitcher.
They have yet to even score on the Wolfpack.
They will soon be 0-2 against the Pack with Rocker gets rocked.
Hodog16
Yeah it's been said how tough Vandy would be in a three game series due to their top 2 pitchers. Would be highly ironic if they make it next week, burning both pitchers along the way. You have to think they will save at least one for next week.

Let's close this out tomorrow y'all.
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
flylike44 said:

Anyone, anywhere, any time. LFG.
this
pack4life11
I'm posting it in this thread tooState is gonna lay a 5 spot on Rocker in the first inning Friday
tau06
AlleyPack said:

kmb717 said:

I've seen state fans arguing and disagreeing but it's pretty obvious to me that the plan for NCSU arms is hope that Willadson/Villlaman can get you around 7 innings and then have a fully rested Justice slam the door. If we lose on Friday you come back with Reid and have a fully rested Highfill ready to roll for game one of the CWS. I don't really think it's even that big of a question. It's what makes the most sense long and short term and at this point you have to be playing to win the CWS
RDUwolfpack
Full disclosure I'm 100% hooping on a bandwagon here but it's been a fun ride so far
AlleyPack
tau06 said:

AlleyPack said:

kmb717 said:

I've seen state fans arguing and disagreeing but it's pretty obvious to me that the plan for NCSU arms is hope that Willadson/Villlaman can get you around 7 innings and then have a fully rested Justice slam the door. If we lose on Friday you come back with Reid and have a fully rested Highfill ready to roll for game one of the CWS. I don't really think it's even that big of a question. It's what makes the most sense long and short term and at this point you have to be playing to win the CWS

Yeah, this might be the way to go -- especially with a chance of rain on Friday.

Pitch Willadsen/Villaman Friday and hope for the win.

If W/V lose: Pitch Reid on Saturday and then open with Highfill the following Monday, and then whomever pitched the least on Friday (between Willadsen/Villaman) can start on Tuesday.

If W/V win: Then you have Reid ready to go in Game One of the CWS and Highfill in Game Two.
packgrad
Wonder if we'll see Russell in the stands this weekend.
getwicked
It's hard to imagine seeing both Rocker and Leiter for full starts.
ciscopack
wilmwolf80 said:

I like it.
78wilsonpack
I'm going to show my lack of knowledge but a question.

The conferences in the Football playoffs get a $$$ from the NCAA, correct? So, will the ACC get a payout with 2 teams (at least currently) still at the CWS? I'm sure ESPN is paying a pretty penny to cover it.

Just a thought as to what the ACC might bring in.
wilmwolf
No money from the college world series. I linked an article on a different thread about it. Avent gets an automatic one year extension, but that's the only infectives I've found.

Here it is

https://businessofcollegesports.com/finance/how-much-money-does-vanderbilt-make-for-winning-college-world-series/
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
DrummerboyWolf
packgrad said:

Wonder if we'll see Russell in the stands this weekend.
Avent said on Packer and Durham that it might happen. A Philip Rivers siting would be the trifecta along with DT.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfpack91
wilmwolf80 said:

Not sure if I love Stray Dogs or I am a zealot or both.
I do like our chances. Go Pack!
3rdGenPacker
You've gotta stick with Willadsen for Friday. Between the ACC championship against Duke and the Super Regional championship game against Arkansas, he's thrown over 8 innings with only 6 hits and 2 runs, and the 1 run against Arkansas was unearned. He's proven he can go out in big environments against top competition and get the job done for several innings, then pass it off to Villaman.

That recipe has been successful and if it works again, then you've got Johnston fresh for Game 1 on Monday. If not, you've still got Johnston for the deciding game on Saturday.
CLTWolf
3rdGenPacker said:

You've gotta stick with Willadsen for Friday. Between the ACC championship against Duke and the Super Regional championship game against Arkansas, he's thrown over 8 innings with only 6 hits and 2 runs, and the 1 run against Arkansas was unearned. He's proven he can go out in big environments against top competition and get the job done for several innings, then pass it off to Villaman.

That recipe has been successful and if it works again, then you've got Johnston fresh for Game 1 on Monday. If not, you've still got Johnston for the deciding game on Saturday.
Yep. I'm inclined to agree with this more and more as I read people post their thoughts.

After going back and looking at the box scores the only thing I'm worried about with Matt is the number of base on balls he's issued.the last couple games. We can't walk Vandy and put them on base, recipe for disaster. Other than that, give him the pill and let's get that W!
TheCapper
BigLefty24 said:
1. I don't think we would see Leiter regardless.

2. The prospect of facing him probably doesn't scare the team as much as it does most of yall. Leiter didn't have the velocity he normally had in our first match up. He was able to utilize it effectively because his off speed stuff was working so well early on. As the game wore on, his breaking stuff had a lot less tilt to it, and he was throwing some very hit table hanging stuff in the middle of the zone. If Vandy does decide to pitch him on short rest, youre probably looking at a guy that will be facing some arm fatigue. I'd venture that you'd see some continued decrease in velocity, and probably some flatter off speed stuff. Throw in the fact that our guys have already seen 120 pitches from him just a few days ago, I don't think the guys will see that as some insurmountable task.

Rocker is hittable. I think we match up fine with him. His fastball isn't overpowering, and his slider has flattened out lately and his location has deceased. He's took a tumble in the MLB draft projections over the last few weeks based on his recent performance.

Start Willadsen and go win the game. Don't stray away from what got you where you are.

Worst case scenario, you have your stud in game two with an extras day of rest. Best case scenario, he's ready to roll game one in the championship series.

Reposting for Lefty from other thread since I loved every part of it.
TheCapper
If your goal is to win CWS, you stick to formula and trust your guys. The real advantage of winning first 2 games is you can stick to what got you there.

With that said, you can trust your guys and have a short leash.
Borowolf10
Why wouldn't we start Reid?
Wolfer79
AlleyPack
Borowolf10 said:

Why wouldn't we start Reid?

We might.

But... Willadsen and Villaman haven't pitched in over 10 days and should be well rested.
There's a chance of rain, and an extended delay would work better with the willad/villa combo, as opposed to possibly starting Reid and then losing him after a few innings.
And if we hold Reid back he would gain another day of rest (if we lose and he has to pitch Saturday), OR he'd be ready to start Game One if we win on Friday.
wolfpack1437
James Henderson said:

AlleyPack said:

James Henderson said:

Obviously you don't want to think about Saturday but can they come back with Leiter Friday?

Highly doubtful -- especially considering the Vandy coach is known for being overly cautious with his pitchers.
Leiter would be on only three days rest should he pitch on Friday.

Even if he pitches on Saturday (on four days rest) there's a chance he won't be as sharp/effective as the last time we saw him.
Sorry, meant could they go back to him on 4 on Saturday.
I was talking some Vandy fans last night at the game and they said they expected Rocker- Fri and Leiter- Sat (if necessary). FWIW. Doesn't really make much sense bc that would basically eliminate Leiter from being available in the finals

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.