Pack 9 Recruiting and Portal News

266,047 Views | 1593 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by JCooke93
James Henderson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
A lot of projecting
StateFan2001
James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

Yep a lot of projecting for a team coming off a WS appearance and I am told has a healthy NIL budget.
Glasswolf
As I speculated with Texas A&M hiring their hitting coach as the new HC Laviolette and Grahovas are returning to the aggies
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting
Well the good news is Chris Hart is one of the best in the business at it.

JCooke93
Future
JCooke93
RHP Roy Holcomb new portal target from Southern Indiana
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

I feel like every off season we do the thing where we forget that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
pack2010
wilmwolf said:

CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

Right. And what else are we supposed to do besides literally project? Weird comment by James
Pakbackr
pack2010 said:

wilmwolf said:

CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

Right. And what else are we supposed to do besides literally project? Weird comment by James

Agreed. And he's made it in a couple different threads.
Jtilley
wilmwolf said:

CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

I feel like I have to remind everyone every other page on here. We are going to hit, we have always hit with Hart.
Bcwhitl2
And last year there was complaining about taking old guys with high floors bc we were missing out on "upside" haha.

Taking the projected talent seems to be more aligned with Avent, I am pretty sure he mentioned in one of his postgames about how State is a developmental program first and have used transfers to fill gaps.
James Henderson
Staff
pack2010 said:

wilmwolf said:

CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

What's weird about it?

I don't think State has brought in a guy to play/start out of the transfer portal with the college production profile of Jaros/Ossenfort. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer your question is you can bring in players who have produced on the college level, like the UNCG pitcher.
James Henderson
Staff
Bcwhitl2 said:

And last year there was complaining about taking old guys with high floors bc we were missing out on "upside" haha.

Taking the projected talent seems to be more aligned with Avent, I am pretty sure he mentioned in one of his postgames about how State is a developmental program first and have used transfers to fill gaps.
Who was? I was big on bringing in Pennington and AMak.
James Henderson
Staff
CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

I don't know if we have an example of these two takes at NC State, I can't find any to base the eval on. Do you remember any?
pack2010
James Henderson said:

pack2010 said:

wilmwolf said:

CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

What's weird about it?

I don't think State has brought in a guy to play/start out of the transfer portal with the college production profile of Jaros/Ossenfort. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To answer your question is you can bring in players who have produced on the college level, like the UNCG pitcher.

You project literally every player every year (not you, in general). All of our fans are going to project how Grayson McCall is going to do just like they are going to Noah Rogers. One has insane college numbers, one has none. It doesn't matter how old they are, that's what people do with new players. Of course, older players can be easier to project, but did ANYONE project Amac/Pennington to have the years they had? I highly doubt it.
metcalfmafia
Do we not think Jaros or Ossenfort would tear it up at Western Carolina? Would that make people feel better?
James Henderson
Staff
pack2010 said:

James Henderson said:

pack2010 said:

wilmwolf said:

CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

A lot of projecting

What's weird about it?

You project literally every player every year (not you, in general). All of our fans are going to project how Grayson McCall is going to do just like they are going to Noah Rogers. One has insane college numbers, one has none. It doesn't matter how old they are, that's what people do with new players. Of course, older players can be easier to project, but did ANYONE project Amac/Pennington to have the years they had? I highly doubt it.
Nobody projected them to have the years they had, but I def. felt like they'd provide double digit home runs given they'd done it prior to NC State.

But yes, you are projecting a guy to be good if you take him, that's not what I'm referring to.
James Henderson
Staff
metcalfmafia said:

Do we not think Jaros or Ossenfort would tear it up at Western Carolina? Would that make people feel better?
Who knows? We probably thought Chance Mako and Michael Gupton would based on their HS profiles
James Henderson
Staff
BTW, I like both of these guys, simply saying it's riskier IMO than taking guys we've seen do it on the college level and there's no example of this type of take working yet at State.
ClePack
Think James is kinda touching on what I brought up earlier. It's a different approach by the staff to bring in these very unproven kids and attempt to unlock their ceilings. Hopefully the staff can do it. Would be really nice to add a proven college bat if we can though
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

metcalfmafia said:

Who knows? We probably thought Chance Mako and Michael Gupton would based on their HS profiles
Gupton couldn't hit in HS but that speed you absolutely take a chance on. His HS profile was based on one REEEEEEAAALLLLLY fast 60 time. haha
James Henderson
Staff
ClePack said:

Think James is kinda touching on what I brought up earlier. It's a different approach by the staff to bring in these very unproven kids and attempt to unlock their ceilings. Hopefully the staff can do it. Would be really nice to add a proven college bat if we can though
Right, doesn't mean it won't work out or these guys can't play, we just don't have someone we can fall back on and say it has worked and for me, I'd feel a little better knowing a guy has shown on the college level he can be at least an everyday starter for you if I'm bringing you in to be an everyday starter.

I'd love to pair one of these kids with an AMak/Pennington type for instance.

If you're projecting a starting lineup for State right now, who would be the most proven bat? Hogue? Thompson?

This year you had Cozart, Serrano, Soles, A Mak, Pennington, Butters who all were full-time starters prior to 2024 (not including Hogue).
James Henderson
Staff
CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

metcalfmafia said:

Gupton couldn't hit in HS but that speed you absolutely take a chance on. His HS profile was based on one REEEEEEAAALLLLLY fast 60 time. haha
Oh I agree, we thought he'd be good, clearly LOL
Bcwhitl2
James Henderson said:

Bcwhitl2 said:

I didn't mean you in particular but iirc the main comments were just around how Amak would sure up the infield defense more so than anything around his offensive game. I know Pennington was said to be one to watch right when he committed
JCooke93
Go Pack
Jtilley
James Henderson said:

BTW, I like both of these guys, simply saying it's riskier IMO than taking guys we've seen do it on the college level and there's no example of this type of take working yet at State.
The upside out weighs the risk. Profiles like these two typically pan out.

Worst case scenario is you bring them in and they don't produce next year and you have to figure out it for the following year.

Gupton is a bad example, he was just tooled up and running sub 6.00 sixties. Scouts ooze over a kid like that thinking if he can hit at all he will be a future star. He ended up not being able to hit at all.
Jtilley
Here are the transfers/juco hitters we have taken over the last seven years that made it past fall ball.....

2024- Amak, Pennington, Butters, Hogue

2023- Harrison, Trice, Candelaria, Nolan

2022- Gino, Piolli, Hood, Lavoie, Oldham, Godman

2021- Truitt

2020- Murr

2019- Butler

2018- Edwards

That is an extremely high hit rate, and the ones that didn't pan out were mostly depth pieces anyways.

James Henderson
Staff
Jtilley said:

Here are the transfers/juco hitters we have taken over the last seven years that made it past fall ball.....

2021- Truitt

2020- Murr

2019- Butler

2018- Edwards

That is an extremely high hit rate, and the ones that didn't pan out were mostly depth pieces anyways.

Of that group I assume Truitt would fit the profile of these guys?
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

Jtilley said:

2021- Truitt

2020- Murr

2019- Butler

2018- Edwards

Truitt got hurt and IIRC, he was looking pretty good in the preseason. Also, Truitt had nowhere near the recruiting profile that Jaros and Ossenfort had.

But yeah, he's probably the one example recently that somewhat mirrors Jaros and Ozzie.
JCooke93
Going after some Bullpen arms
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

James Henderson said:

Jtilley said:

2021- Truitt

2020- Murr

2019- Butler

2018- Edwards

Truitt got hurt and IIRC, he was looking pretty good in the preseason. Also, Truitt had nowhere near the recruiting profile that Jaros and Ossenfort had.

But yeah, he's probably the one example recently that somewhat mirrors Jaros and Ozzie.
Not sure if Truitt even played at ECU?

Truitt was considered the 53rd best recruit in the state of NC. Jaros was 147th nationally and Ossenfort 332.

I personally think Jaros is going to hit but Ossenfort had some 100MPH exit velos while in HS, that kind of power doesn't grow on trees. You let him fill out some and he can be a monster, that is worth taking a chance on. You can still bring in another 1B/DH type as well but the ceiling is too high to pass up for a kid with that kind of power potential who hit vs good HS comp.

StateFan2001
Bcwhitl2 said:

James Henderson said:

Bcwhitl2 said:

I didn't mean you in particular but iirc the main comments were just around how Amak would sure up the infield defense more so than anything around his offensive game. I know Pennington was said to be one to watch right when he committed
The guy hit .258 with 11HR and 49 RBIs his last season at ECU. I consider that to be a proven bat. Yes he far exceeded that but we didn't just pick him up for his solid glove.
StateFan2001
Jtilley said:

2021- Truitt

2020- Murr

2019- Butler

2018- Edwards

The difference is most of those guys were proven college hitters. I am just surprised coming off a CWS run and having a strong NIL budget that we are landing unproven hitters vs. guys who we have already seen succeed in college baseball.
James Henderson
Staff
StateFan2001 said:

Bcwhitl2 said:

James Henderson said:

Bcwhitl2 said:

The guy hit .258 with 11HR and 49 RBIs his last season at ECU. I consider that to be a proven bat. Yes he far exceeded that but we didn't just pick him up for his solid glove.
Right, I had no issues with AMak's bat. Yes, I didn't see 25 HRs happening, thanks, AMak, but he had back-to-back double-digit HR/40+RBI seasons.
Jtilley
StateFan2001 said:

Jtilley said:

2021- Truitt

2020- Murr

2019- Butler

2018- Edwards

The difference is most of those guys were proven college hitters. I am just surprised coming off a CWS run and having a strong NIL budget that we are landing unproven hitters vs. guys who we have already seen succeed in college baseball.
They are brining in Thompson who is proven and another Juco bat. Jaros hit .343 in limited sample with as many walks as strikeouts and was top 150 recruit.

We can split hairs over Ozzy but you aren't finding many kids with his power upside in the portal. He is worth the risk.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.