Pack 9 Recruiting and Portal News

235,595 Views | 1275 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by ChemE94
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
pack2010 said:

Chance Mako enters the portal

Was really hoping he stuck it out but I understand
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

tau06
CLTWolf said:

tau06 said:

Probably not great decisions by those guys if they want a ton of innings and work. Hope they got plenty of $$
I don't understand this comment?

7 of the top 13 arms for LSU this year came from the portal (5) or JUCO (2).

Cowan will get tons of innings if healthy.

We shall see. Plenty of looks at guys who went to greener pastures this past season who had the opposite happen and have killed draft status or who are miserable. There is no safety net at that level. If you aren't good you don't get a chance to work it out or time to figure it out.
metcalfmafia
Dang. Mako was a big deal coming here. Best of luck young fella.
castlewood107
Sorry if this has been covered........Is Mako in Omaha or did he not make the 27-man postseason roster?
JCooke93
He didn't make the Roster and is up in the Cap so
Glasswolf
castlewood107 said:

Sorry if this has been covered........Is Mako in Omaha or did he not make the 27-man postseason roster?
No

Wolfman588
Avent made a reference about the transfer portal age and that kids are getting approached while in the Cape league from suiters or 3rd parties.
CLTWolf
tau06 said:

CLTWolf said:

tau06 said:

Probably not great decisions by those guys if they want a ton of innings and work. Hope they got plenty of $$
I don't understand this comment?

7 of the top 13 arms for LSU this year came from the portal (5) or JUCO (2).

Cowan will get tons of innings if healthy.

We shall see. Plenty of looks at guys who went to greener pastures this past season who had the opposite happen and have killed draft status or who are miserable. There is no safety net at that level. If you aren't good you don't get a chance to work it out or time to figure it out.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

pack2010
Wolfman588 said:

Avent made a reference about the transfer portal age and that kids are getting approached while in the Cape league from suiters or 3rd parties.

yes, tampering/"pre-portaling" is just as prelavent in baseball as it is in other sports.
CLTWolf
I just looked up his stats at the Cape and looks like he's pitched in one game so far. 1 inning, 3 walks.

Maybe he changes his mind who knows. I was looking forward to him staying and making a Derrick Smith like leap but if he goes, he goes. As we've seen, we're capable of replacing just about anyone (hello Thomas White and Cannon Peebles).
braz213
Wasn't he seen as someone that has potential and needed development?
CLTWolf
braz213 said:

Wasn't he seen as someone that has potential and needed development?
you just described pretty much every FR that enters college.
braz213
So yes.
pack2010
ECUs Bristol Carter to Auburn
pack2010
UNCWs Ryan Calvert to Duke
65Pack
They need to be on the phone right now because we need lots of help in the portal. We need a leadoff man something bad and have to replace our three strongest hitters that carried our weak bats all year. Three starting pitchers are a must as well.
CLTWolf
65Pack said:

They need to be on the phone right now because we need lots of help in the portal. We need a leadoff man something bad and have to replace our three strongest hitters that carried our weak bats all year. Three starting pitchers are a must as well.

Blah blah blah blah
StateFan2001
65Pack said:

Yep, a lot to replace no doubt. They also have a lot to sell.
StateFan2001
CLTWolf said:

65Pack said:

Blah blah blah blah
Are you Avent's wife? Why that response to a reasonable comment? We do need a lot of help, but like I said above we also have a lot to sell. No need to stick your head in the sand about our needs. You seem like an angry dude.
CLTWolf
StateFan2001 said:

CLTWolf said:

65Pack said:

Blah blah blah blah
Are you Avent's wife? Why that response to a reasonable comment? We do need a lot of help, but like I said above we also have a lot to sell. No need to stick your head in the sand about our needs.

You want me to embarrass you again toots?

You obviously have no idea about that poster and his "reasonable" posts. lol

Here's how to know we lost. You're posting.

Go away.
CLTWolf
Recent BoRob follow…

https://gojsutigers.com/sports/baseball/roster/lenny--montesano/2757

Lenny Montesano corner INF Jackson State
Big boy 6'4 215
wilmwolf
This thread is written evidence that the staff has been recruiting in portal during this whole run. I don't think they need to be reminded what we will need next year, and what they brought in this year should give us all supreme confidence in their ability to do that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
CLTWolf
wilmwolf said:

This thread is written evidence that the staff has been recruiting in portal during this whole run. I don't think they need to be reminded what we will need next year, and what they brought in this year should give us all supreme confidence in their ability to do that.

The draft will be one to watch this year as Ty Head and Devin Fitz-Gerald could get picked high but those two dudes can absolutely play so pull for them to stink it up at the draft combine. Haha

Head could slot right into CF if Eli leaves. Kid is a stud.
Glasswolf
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

The draft will be one to watch this year as Ty Head and Devin Fitz-Gerald could get picked high but those two dudes can absolutely play so pull for them to stink it up at the draft combine. Haha

I haven't had a chance to dig into our recruiting this year. Any idea who we are targeting at the corner infield spots?

CLTWolf
Glasswolf said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

I haven't had a chance to dig into our recruiting this year. Any idea who we are targeting at the corner infield spots?

I'd assume we'll target older portal guys like last cycle.

Fitz-Gerald is a MIF guy that could hold down third for a year if Butters comes back. Brandon Novy is a massive corners kid at 6'5 230. Prolly a 1B in college at that size.

I want to be old at those spots tho I wouldn't hate Fitz-Gerald type there as a FR. Like I've said, he can play.

pack2010
I'd expect 2-4 more bats (depending on draft) 2-4 arms (depending on portal). And we will get contributions from 3-5 freshmen next year, like we do every year. A couple in the field/DH and a couple on the mound
rwwalsh
CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

Studs, believe both were 1st team all State in Florida.
pack2010
Someone refresh my memory, outside of JUCO, when are some of the transfer pitchers to make a big (positive) impact?

SVD this year.

Off the top of my head, some of the guys we have taken are Hollis Fanning, Labriola, Logan Bender from a few years ago? (not sure if Bender went to JUCO from Campbell). Hope we can hit on a couple this year!
CLTWolf
pack2010 said:

Someone refresh my memory, outside of JUCO, when are some of the transfer pitchers to make a big (positive) impact?

SVD this year.

Off the top of my head, some of the guys we have taken are Hollis Fanning, Labriola, Logan Bender from a few years ago? (not sure if Bender went to JUCO from Campbell). Hope we can hit on a couple this year!
Bender was JUCO from CVCC (after Campbell)

Here's the list since 2019

SVD
Hollis Fanning
Creed Watkins
Rio Britton

That's it. We're batting .500
CLTWolf
I forgot to add this one last night...

https://uncgspartans.com/sports/baseball/roster/julien-peissel/5265

Julien Peissel RHP UNCG

From Hickory, NC, went to St Stephens HS. Probably played a year or two with current Wolfpack FR Peyton Young.

Started against and beat Wake early in the year. Beat us too.
CLTWolf
BoRob just followed this kid that was at South Carolina (from Cox Mill HS in Concord)

https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/baseball/roster/player/tyler-zedalis/

6'2 220, big boy. Playing currently in the Appy League for the Bristol State Liners. According to his tweeter page he's dropping nukes this summer. Looks like he's hit 5 bombs in 10 games so far, playing first base.

His brother Zach played at Gaston College and USCar as well. Not sure where the brother is now, don't believe he was on the roster this year.

https://twitter.com/TylerZedalis

pack2010
CLTWolf said:

pack2010 said:

SVD this year.

Bender was JUCO from CVCC (after Campbell)

Here's the list since 2019

SVD
Hollis Fanning
Creed Watkins
Rio Britton

That's it. We're batting .500

Ahhh not sure how I forgot about Britton, liked his stuff overall. I knew i was missing a couple, appreciate it.
CLTWolf
rwwalsh said:

CLTWolf said:

wilmwolf said:

Studs, believe both were 1st team all State in Florida.
If we can just keep one of the two, that's a big win, IMO.

Fitz-Gerald is just a gamer. His brother was a big ol dude that mashed. Hit 22 bombs last year in his one season at ODU before getting drafted. Big bro (literally) is 6'5 230. Devin is not. haha

Ryder Woodson made 2nd team All State in Florida (Prep Baseball Report). Kid is 6'3 180, could be a move to the OF in his future? Looks like he can run a lil bit.
Jtilley
CLTWolf said:

StateFan2001 said:

CLTWolf said:

65Pack said:

Blah blah blah blah
Are you Avent's wife? Why that response to a reasonable comment? We do need a lot of help, but like I said above we also have a lot to sell. No need to stick your head in the sand about our needs.

You want me to embarrass you again toots?

You obviously have no idea about that poster and his "reasonable" posts. lol

Here's how to know we lost. You're posting.

Go away.
People that come on here worried about offense do not know a thing about Chris Hart. Literally the last thing we should be worried about.
Jtilley
pack2010 said:

ECUs Bristol Carter to Auburn
I wasn't in on this guy as some others on here. Was basically Soles with less power. Not saying that is bad at all but when you bat .330 with a .410 OBP there is some weird metrics/luck involved and seems to be no power.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.