ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

42,140 Views | 595 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by packgrad
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Baked chicken with rice and steamed vegetables.

Nice! An old standby for all of us I'm sure.

Here's the underrated but $64k question:

Sticky rice? Jasmine rice? Basmati? Or god forbid, brown rice?

My Mom used to do brown rice as a kid to try and be healthier when everyone was making the whole wheat/whole grain push but I'd be lying if I didn't say I could do with never having brown rice again. That stalky, flavorless mush is bird food. I'm not telling Mama that though.

Enjoy!!
Oh lord, I don't know? White rice in a pot...lol
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

My Mom used to do brown rice as a kid to try and be healthier when everyone was making the whole wheat/whole grain push but I'd be lying if I didn't say I could do with never having brown rice again. That stalky, flavorless mush is bird food. I'm not telling Mama that though.

Enjoy!!

Ha! Sounds perfect!

Don't know if y'all like Indian or not but we did Tikka Masala with Palak Paneer, Basmati rice, and garlic naan tonight.

Got super lazy and did the Trader Joe's prepared meal but it was perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Enjoy!!

Ha! Sounds perfect!

Don't know if y'all like Indian or not but we did Tikka Masala with Palak Paneer, Basmati rice, and garlic naan tonight.

Got super lazy and did the Trader Joe's prepared meal but it was perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
Might have to give it a try, just how spicey is it? As always, thanks for the suggestions.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Enjoy!!

Ha! Sounds perfect!

Might have to give it a try, just how spicey is it? As always, thanks for the suggestions.

Palak paneer is a 5 on a 10 scale. Tikka masala is a 3. I like spice and the Palak is about perfect for this dish without being distracting. The masala could use a little more kick but that's easy enough with a little cayenne or serrano added in.

Patak's and Maya Kaimal also make really good tikka masala simmer sauces they sell in jars that are sold at commodity grocery stores around here. If we're only feeling nominally lazy we like doctoring those as a base for a more homemade version of tikka masala curry sauce (without going fully homemade) and really letting the chicken simmer for awhile.

Quite good, especially on a cooler rainy day like today!
ncsupack1
Going to try something different tonight, picked up a pack of steak-umm.
Civilized
What are y'all doing for tailgate tomorrow? Picking up biscuits or cooking?

We can't get out there till around 10 which is enough time for a quick cook but seems like a lot of trouble given the compressed window. Being lazy and doing biscuits and Irish coffee or Bloodies seems more relaxing.

Where are y'all's heads for tomorrow at the Carter?
FlossyDFlynt
Think were doing Bojangles and a few other small things. I offered to cook, but I think everyone just wants to keep it simple.

Planning on making a bunch of stuff on Sunday. Freezer is empty of back up meals, so need to restock a bit.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

We can't get out there till around 10 which is enough time for a quick cook but seems like a lot of trouble given the compressed window. Being lazy and doing biscuits and Irish coffee or Bloodies seems more relaxing.

Great question, we are changing it up ( food wise ) getting out there at 7 and cooking some sausage and eggs. Will also have bagels with some cream cheese. The last couple of games were Bojangles, so doing something different, drinks will be Savage Wolves Vodka for me and the Mrs will have some wine. We need a good showing tomorrow. Where you getting your biscuits?
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Think were doing Bojangles and a few other small things. I offered to cook, but I think everyone just wants to keep it simple.

Planning on making a bunch of stuff on Sunday. Freezer is empty of back up meals, so need to restock a bit.

Look forward to hearing more about the Sunday feast!

We're definitely leaning Boj's or Hardee's biscuits too.

So glad this system pushed through today. Tomorrow should be a beautiful day out there!
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

We have freezer night about once a month give or take.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Look forward to hearing more about the Sunday feast!

We're definitely leaning Boj's or Hardee's biscuits too.

So glad this system pushed through today. Tomorrow should be a beautiful day out there!
I love some Hardee's, the problem is we don't have one around anymore. And yes, tomorrow looks great.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

Great question, we are changing it up ( food wise ) getting out there at 7 and cooking some sausage and eggs. Will also have bagels with some cream cheese. The last couple of games were Bojangles, so doing something different, drinks will be Savage Wolves Vodka for me and the Mrs will have some wine. We need a good showing tomorrow. Where you getting your biscuits?

Oh man, this sounds fantastic!

I'm not traditionally a big bagel guy (just didn't have them a lot growing up so I don't think of them that often) but I've recently stumbled into onion cream cheese and that on everything bagels sliced thin and toasted well has kind of become a vice if I'm being honest. Great by itself or can throw some smoked salmon or deli meat with some spinach or lettuce and tomato and make a great bagel sandwich too.

Do you cook eggs on a flattop out there? Or in a skillet?

Sausage Neese's or Bass Farm or you have a different preferred brand?

We fight over biscuits in our family. I prefer Hardee's and the kids prefer Bo's so I'll normally give into them on biscuits because life is too short but Hardee's if it's up to me.
FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

For me, I work roughly Mountain Time hours, so I like having options in the freezer for when I dont feel like cooking dinner. I still cook during the week from time to time, just depends on how my days go
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

Oh man, this sounds fantastic!

I'm not traditionally a big bagel guy (just didn't have them a lot growing up so I don't think of them that often) but I've recently stumbled into onion cream cheese and that on everything bagels sliced thin and toasted well has kind of become a vice if I'm being honest. Great by itself or can throw some smoked salmon or deli meat with some spinach or lettuce and tomato and make a great bagel sandwich too.

Do you cook eggs on a flattop out there? Or in a skillet?

Sausage Neese's or Bass Farm or you have a different preferred brand?

We fight over biscuits in our family. I prefer Hardee's and the kids prefer Bo's so I'll normally give into them on biscuits because life is too short but Hardee's if it's up to me.
Flattop for the cooking, wife likes Bass Farm, so you can guess what we are having. Nothing hits like a good Hardee's biscuit, with my travels I always try to hit one when on the road.
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

For me, I work roughly Mountain Time hours, so I like having options in the freezer for when I dont feel like cooking dinner. I still cook during the week from time to time, just depends on how my days go
I get it. Easy meal on the go.
FlossyDFlynt
Decided on making turkey barbeque in the crock pot, mushroom risotto in the Insta Pot, and Beef Stew in the dutch oven
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Decided on making turkey barbeque in the crock pot, mushroom risotto in the Insta Pot, and Beef Stew in the dutch oven

Sounds really good. Was that for the game?
FlossyDFlynt
Nah, just making some stuff for the week and to freeze
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Nah, just making some stuff for the week and to freeze

Got ya.
ncsupack1
Going to re heat some bbq that we got from a local fundraiser. Dang good Q, sides are boiled potatoes, and corn.
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Well that sounds great!
ncsupack1
Going to heat up some leftover Q for later.
ncsupack1
What's the plan for Saturday? Another noon game.
ncsupack1
Had Five Guys last night, forgot about just how good ( pricey) they were. Nice treat.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Had Five Guys last night, forgot about just how good ( pricey) they were. Nice treat.

Juicy burger! Enjoy them too, and the peanuts.

Hope you enjoyed!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Juicy burger! Enjoy them too, and the peanuts.

Hope you enjoyed!

Sure did!
ncsupack1
Snoopy's for lunch today. Hit the spot.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

Great choice! It's the 2 hot dog special today, right?
caryking
I forgot to mention, this past Friday, at lunch, I went to Ole Time BBQ. I'll have to say, that was really good. Fried okra and baked bean were really, really good…
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

That was yesterday, but still good as always.
ncsupack1
caryking said:

I forgot to mention, this past Friday, at lunch, I went to Ole Time BBQ. I'll have to say, that was really good. Fried okra and baked bean were really, really good…
Been years since I've ate there, and remember it begin dang good.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

That was yesterday, but still good as always.

Half price Snoopy's dogs on Tuesdays are the jam.

Got a couple with mustard, chili, onions last Tuesday!
ncsupack1
Thinking about going to the store later and grabbing some ribs to smoke.
packgrad
ncsupack1 said:

Rubbed 3 racks last night that I'm going to smoke today. Probably throw on a few loaves of venison meatloaf to go with it.
ncsupack1
packgrad said:

ncsupack1 said:

Rubbed 3 racks last night that I'm going to smoke today. Probably throw on a few loaves of venison meatloaf to go with it.

Sounds good. What kind of smoker?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.