ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

41,789 Views | 591 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Civilized
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

Meant to tell y'all, Mama went to the farmer's market last weekend coked it up last night.

Roast sirloin with carrots and new potatoes, fresh corn off the cob lightly sauted in a little butter, fresh stewed green beans with fatback, cukes and onions with pepper vinegar, and fresh tomatoes.

It was all damn good except for the cukes, strangely. Normally they're more forgiving than other veggies but they were off. All in all a great summer meal though!

I hear ya! Sounds like a great feast. I love going to the farmers market. How did the peaches look? If you saw?

Oh yeah. The peaches! That's the thing I forgot to mention. Made peach cobbler with Tillamook vanilla ice cream. Can't believe I forgot it, that was the highlight of the meal.

Because I love y'all so much...

Ma's Peach Cobbler (can be used for any fruit cobbler)

1. Melt 1 stick butter in 2 quart baking dish
2. Mix together in a medium bowl and then add to melted butter:
1 C sugar
1 C self-rising flour
1 C milk

DO NOT STIR

3. Add 3 - 4 cups rough chopped peaches/other fruit

DO NOT STIR

4. Bake at 350 for around 45 minutes

Look for the edges and top to start caramelizing and then pull from oven. So good.

Peaches were great, BTW!
ncsupack1
Thank you for sharing. May have a trip coming up.
ncsupack1
Thanks to Civ. we got some peaches today. Very good on a hot day.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

YOOOO!!

Hardly anything better on hot summer days!

On cereal, as a side with a sandwich, in a salad, or cobbler for dessert. You can't go wrong.

Hope they're great and y'all enjoy!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

YOOOO!!

On cereal, as a side with a sandwich, in a salad, or cobbler for dessert. You can't go wrong.

Funny, cereal is already planned for the am. Thanks again for just bringing it up.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

YOOOO!!

Funny, cereal is already planned for the am. Thanks again for just bringing it up.

I gotta know, what kind?

Old school Corn Flakes are hard to beat with fresh peaches.

Or you getting fancy on us?

I actually love 'em with Fiber One too. Or even on oatmeal, which we normally cook a pot of early in the week and then just eat with fruit and greek yogurt as a quick healthy breakfast throughout the week.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

YOOOO!!

I gotta know, what kind?

I actually love 'em with Fiber One too. Or even on oatmeal, which we normally cook a pot of early in the week and then just eat with fruit and greek yogurt as a quick healthy breakfast throughout the week.
Corn Flakes, nothing fancy here. Once again, I hadn't thought of oatmeal, going to have to give it a go.
caryking
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits this morning. Coffee as well, just took the dog out, looks like the heat is back.
That sounds great right now.

I'm feeling lazy and craving a good biscuit and contemplating running up to Hardee's since we're out of breakfast meat and don't have any biscuits. Could always (and often just) do one on good bread but it doesn't hit the same when you're in the mood for a flaky biscuit.

You pick yours up or make it at home?
Make at home. I wish we had a Hardees around us. They do a great breakfast.
I was driving home from the Beach on Tuesday. Left Pine Knoll Shores and headed back through Emerald Isle on the back way to Kinston. Well, in one of the small towns, I saw a Hardee's and thought…

I'm getting me a Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit!! Man, it was sure good…
caryking
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

Meant to tell y'all, Mama went to the farmer's market last weekend coked it up last night.

Roast sirloin with carrots and new potatoes, fresh corn off the cob lightly sauted in a little butter, fresh stewed green beans with fatback, cukes and onions with pepper vinegar, and fresh tomatoes.

It was all damn good except for the cukes, strangely. Normally they're more forgiving than other veggies but they were off. All in all a great summer meal though!

I hear ya! Sounds like a great feast. I love going to the farmers market. How did the peaches look? If you saw?

Oh yeah. The peaches! That's the thing I forgot to mention. Made peach cobbler with Tillamook vanilla ice cream. Can't believe I forgot it, that was the highlight of the meal.

1 C sugar
1 C self-rising flour
1 C milk

DO NOT STIR

DO NOT STIR

Look for the edges and top to start caramelizing and then pull from oven. So good.

Peaches were great, BTW!
Civ, I wish I liked peaches…. Turn this into blueberry, then I can get onboard…
ncsupack1
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits this morning. Coffee as well, just took the dog out, looks like the heat is back.

I'm feeling lazy and craving a good biscuit and contemplating running up to Hardee's since we're out of breakfast meat and don't have any biscuits. Could always (and often just) do one on good bread but it doesn't hit the same when you're in the mood for a flaky biscuit.

I was driving home from the Beach on Tuesday. Left Pine Knoll Shores and headed back through Emerald Isle on the back way to Kinston. Well, in one of the small towns, I saw a Hardee's and thought…

When Hardees is on point, it's dang good!
ncsupack1
caryking said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

1 C sugar
1 C self-rising flour
1 C milk

DO NOT STIR

DO NOT STIR

Peaches were great, BTW!
Blueberry's are good also.
Civilized
caryking said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Nothing like a great biscuit when you're in the mood. The best!!

The gal at the Raleigh Hardees on Creedmoor was pulling serious weight on Sunday. The drive-through line was backing up and the dining room door was locked so it was obvious something was up.

When I finally got up to order in the drive-through she kept apologizing and said the other three or four morning staff hadn't shown up so she was in there by herself. She was cooking, handling drive-through orders, and running the register with no help. Doing it all. And with a great attitude to boot!
Civilized
caryking said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

1 C sugar
1 C self-rising flour
1 C milk

DO NOT STIR

DO NOT STIR

Peaches were great, BTW!

Works great with any fruit, brother, or combinations!

We'll do in various combos peach, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, cranberries, or rasberries. Tart fruits to me are often a really great balance with the sweetness of the cobbler.

Don't know if y'all have ever tried it but the same fruits work great in Dutch babies in the cast iron.

Put the cast iron in the oven at 400 with some butter, brown sugar, a little cinnamon, and fresh or frozen fruit. Let it get up to temp (and the fruit to start cooking) while you mix up 1/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup flour with two eggs and a little vanilla and lemon extract or lemon zest if you've got fresh lemons. When the cast iron is piping hot, pull it and add the milk and flour to the cast iron. Put it back in the oven to bake for 15 or 20 minutes.

Pull it when the edges start to brown and serve with maple syrup and/or greek yogurt or powdered sugar. It's a like a dessert pizza for breakfast, so good!
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Especially if I have several peaches to peel, I will cut a small "X" in the bottom end of the peach. Boil in water for a couple of minutes until the X gaps start to grow. Then drop in a bowl of ice water, You can easily peel them with your hand.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

YOOOO!!

I gotta know, what kind?

Corn Flakes, nothing fancy here. Once again, I hadn't thought of oatmeal, going to have to give it a go.

How were those peaches??
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

YOOOO!!

I gotta know, what kind?

How were those peaches??

Spot on!
Civilized
Thick sliced bacon (Fresh Market) sandwiches for dinner.

My wife doing hers with just bacon and tomato. I'll probably do mine BLT style, toasted with Duke's and lots of salt and pepper.

Pretty pumped about this.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

My wife doing hers with just bacon and tomato. I'll probably do mine BLT style, toasted with Duke's and lots of salt and pepper.

Duke's is fine, and don't go nuke on me, but I love Hellmann's. ....BTW, BLTs are dang good.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

Duke's is fine, and don't go nuke on me, but I love Hellmann's. ....BTW, BLTs are dang good.

I don't hate on Hellman's at all I just grew up on Duke's and we're all creatures of habit.

Hardly anything better for a quick summer meal!

ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

I don't hate on Hellman's at all I just grew up on Duke's and we're all creatures of habit.

Hardly anything better for a quick summer meal!

Thanks.
TheStorm
Damn. Y'all got me hankering for a Maurice Jennings' grandmother's BLT biscuit this morning (and we still don't have them down here at the coast yet).
ncsupack1
Go make you one
GetOffMyLawnPack
One of the small handful of redeeming characteristics of chapel hill is Merritt's Grill. They specialize in BLT's on sourdough bread. They are awesome and well worth the visit.

https://merrittsblt.com/

packgrad
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

One of the small handful of redeeming characteristics of chapel hill is Merritt's Grill. They specialize in BLT's on sourdough bread. They are awesome and well worth the visit.

Agreed. They are delicious. Worth the stop.
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

This. That place is very good.
ncsupack1
Got some bacon for tomorrow morning for breakfast. Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits.
Civilized
Grilled some tasty burgers tonight. 3 lbs of half sirloin half chuck from Fresh Market.

Did them with aged white cheddar, avo, bacon, and buttered grill-toasted sesame buns.

Sides of regular waffle and sweet potato fries and fresh peppers, tomatoes, and cukes.

Looking forward to some Tillamook vanilla with fresh chopped strawberries after dinner settles.

Hope y'all are eating good and enjoying your weekends!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

Grilled some tasty burgers tonight. 3 lbs of half sirloin half chuck from Fresh Market.

Did them with aged white cheddar, avo, bacon, and buttered grill-toasted sesame buns.

Sides of regular waffle and sweet potato fries and fresh peppers, tomatoes, and cukes.

Looking forward to some Tillamook vanilla with fresh chopped strawberries after dinner settles.

Hope y'all are eating good and enjoying your weekends!

I love waffle fries. Sounds like a great meal.
ncsupack1
Wanting to grill but this weather pattern has me a little hesitant.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Yeah I got caught in the rain last night. Grill was still piping hot when the rain came so I couldn't cover it.

Part of the cost of doing business with summer grilling!
FlossyDFlynt
Did chicken fried steak, gravy, and rice last night. I havent made that meal in at least a decade and it hit the spot
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Yeah I got caught in the rain last night. Grill was still piping hot when the rain came so I couldn't cover it.

Part of the cost of doing business with summer grilling!

It is. We are getting rain every day here the past few days. More of the same today. I'm wanting wings.
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Did chicken fried steak, gravy, and rice last night. I havent made that meal in at least a decade and it hit the spot

One of my favorites but haven't had it in a while. Got any recipes?
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Oh man! Love this...

Is your gravy more brown country style or lighter in color?
FlossyDFlynt
No recipe. Just kinda winged it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.