ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

41,811 Views | 591 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Civilized
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to have to talk to the wife.
TheStorm
justaguy said:

https://www.ourstate.com/beefmastor-inn/
Thanks, PD!
justaguy
TheStorm said:

justaguy said:

Thanks, PD!

Anytime!
GetOffMyLawnPack
justaguy said:

Accurate article. Most any weeknight Mon - Thurs, there's little to no wait except holiday season. There is usually a line Friday and Saturday night. But if you're wound tight and in a hurry, don't bother to show up.

Excellent quality food and they never let your tea glass get empty. Don't remember ever seeing a female waitress; they are all guys who work their butts off. They have a modest beer selection and basic mixed drinks. You can carry the drinks outside to the tailgating / parking lot.

The steak I had last night was among the best I've ever had there. Much better than any steak I've ever had at the Angus Barn. They get their beef from Linz from Indiana delivered every week: https://www.meatsbylinz.com/

People bring in cakes and pies for birthday and anniversary celebrations. My friends were celebrating their 17th anniversary last night, so I picked up some gourmet cupcakes from Mr. Gigi's Cupcakes for dessert.

It's a great place for 4-6 guys to have a "guys outing to eat red meat" type occasion.

Be sure to order the onion with your steak. Cheers!

ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

justaguy said:

Accurate article. Most any weeknight Mon - Thurs, there's little to no wait except holiday season. There is usually a line Friday and Saturday night. But if you're wound tight and in a hurry, don't bother to show up.

Excellent quality food and they never let your tea glass get empty. Don't remember ever seeing a female waitress; they are all guys who work their butts off. They have a modest beer selection and basic mixed drinks. You can carry the drinks outside to the tailgating / parking lot.

The steak I had last night was among the best I've ever had there. Much better than any steak I've ever had at the Angus Barn. They get their beef from Linz from Indiana delivered every week: https://www.meatsbylinz.com/

People bring in cakes and pies for birthday and anniversary celebrations. My friends were celebrating their 17th anniversary last night, so I picked up some gourmet cupcakes from Mr. Gigi's Cupcakes for dessert.

It's a great place for 4-6 guys to have a "guys outing to eat red meat" type occasion.

Be sure to order the onion with your steak. Cheers!

Sounds like a cool place
ncsupack1
Looks like the oldest wants tacos. So tacos it is.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Ground beef? Steak? Chicken? Fish?

Hard shells? Soft?

Love Taco night!!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Ground beef? Steak? Chicken? Fish?

Hard shells? Soft?

Love Taco night!!

Hard shells, beef. Now, I wouldn't say these were fancy by any means. This was a throw together of let's see what we got. lol…. I like chicken or steak but we had neither.
ncsupack1
Going to pick up some chicken quarters. Plan is to marinate them in George's bbq sauce with a dry rub for dinner.
FlossyDFlynt
Making Bolognese again. Need some freezer meals
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

You've made this and shared before right?
FlossyDFlynt
ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Yea, its somewhere in this thread
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

ncsupack1 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Yea, its somewhere in this thread
Thought so.
ncsupack1
Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits this morning. Coffee as well, just took the dog out, looks like the heat is back.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits this morning. Coffee as well, just took the dog out, looks like the heat is back.
That sounds great right now.

I'm feeling lazy and craving a good biscuit and contemplating running up to Hardee's since we're out of breakfast meat and don't have any biscuits. Could always (and often just) do one on good bread but it doesn't hit the same when you're in the mood for a flaky biscuit.

You pick yours up or make it at home?
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

That sounds great right now.

I'm feeling lazy and craving a good biscuit and contemplating running up to Hardee's since we're out of breakfast meat and don't have any biscuits. Could always (and often just) do one on good bread but it doesn't hit the same when you're in the mood for a flaky biscuit.

You pick yours up or make it at home?
Make at home. I wish we had a Hardees around us. They do a great breakfast.
FlossyDFlynt
Pro tip - you can freeze biscuit dough. I usually make a bunch and end up freezing the extras. Pull it out, let it thaw, and cook like normal.
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Pro tip - you can freeze biscuit dough. I usually make a bunch and end up freezing the extras. Pull it out, let it thaw, and cook like normal.
Thanks for the tip.
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

That's a great idea.

I need to drum up my grandma's biscuit recipe. Miss those biscuits a lot. So flaky and buttery and delicious. It's been 30 years and all I remember is Crisco and flour and don't have a clue about other ingredients she used or proportions. And I remember the old orange juice concentrate can she'd use to cut out the biscuits.

You got a flaky biscuit recipe you like?
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

That's a great idea.

I need to drum up my grandma's biscuit recipe. Miss those biscuits a lot. So flaky and buttery and delicious. It's been 30 years and all I remember is Crisco and flour and don't have a clue about other ingredients she used or proportions. And I remember the old orange juice concentrate can she'd use to cut out the biscuits.

Civ, sounds like some good times. I miss my grandmothers cooking.
FlossyDFlynt
Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

That's a great idea.

1 and 3/4 cup of flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tbsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt

Sift into a large bowl. Add 4-6 tbsp of chilled butter. If I am feeling motivated (which is almost never when making biscuits) I freeze the butter and use a cheese grater to cut it. Otherwise I usually just throw the butter in the freezer while doing the first bit and cut it into small pieces with a knife

Add 3/4 a cup of buttermilk. Knead until you get a nice dough. Roll out to desired thickness and cut into biscuits. Brush tops with milk or melted butter.

Cook at 450 on an ungreased cooking sheet for 12-15 minutes, until they are nice and browned
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

That's a great idea.

1 and 3/4 cup of flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tbsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt

Sift into a large bowl. Add 4-6 tbsp of chilled butter. If I am feeling motivated (which is almost never when making biscuits) I freeze the butter and use a cheese grater to cut it. Otherwise I usually just throw the butter in the freezer while doing the first bit and cut it into small pieces with a knife

Add 3/4 a cup of buttermilk. Knead until you get a nice dough. Roll out to desired thickness and cut into biscuits. Brush tops with milk or melted butter.

Cook at 450 on an ungreased cooking sheet for 12-15 minutes, until they are nice and browned

Thanks!
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

That's a great idea.

Civ, sounds like some good times. I miss my grandmothers cooking.

They were the best, brother, and me too. Both my grandmothers were fantastic southern cooks. Their cooking is a big part of why I enjoy cooking and food so much. Wish like all the world they were around for me to tell them that but fun to carry forward their memories via great food and fellowship!
Civilized
FlossyDFlynt said:

Civilized said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

That's a great idea.

1 and 3/4 cup of flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tbsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt

100!!

Thanks much Flossy!!
FlossyDFlynt
Yall are welcome. Its the recipe I used for the country ham biscuits from the last page.
ncsupack1
Well, I must say, we went to Chilis today for lunch and was once again surprised by the meal. Not bad, this is the second time we've gone I think.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Well, I must say, we went to Chilis today for lunch and was once again surprised by the meal. Not bad, this is the second time we've gone I think.

What did you get? I haven't been in years, but the burger I got there last time I went was really good.

My Hardee's sausage, egg and cheese and country ham egg and cheese biscuits this morning were right on time too.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

What did you get? I haven't been in years, but the burger I got there last time I went was really good.

My Hardee's sausage, egg and cheese and country ham egg and cheese biscuits this morning were right on time too.

We got burgers and fries. Pretty good. Heck yeah. Hit the spot you say?
ncsupack1
Everyone has been having a few. Papa Johns tonight.
ncsupack1
Just had one heck of a biscuit from Bojangles.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Had their two sausage + egg biscuit special. Put both sausages & eggs into one biscuit. Yeah, I know, won't save me, but I figure every little bit of carb cutback helps.
Civilized
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Had their two sausage + egg biscuit special. Put both sausages & eggs into one biscuit. Yeah, I know, won't save me, but I figure every little bit of carb cutback helps.

Sounds familiar. For store bought biscuits I often will pull out all the soggy biscuit innerds and just leave the crispy buttery outer shell as a vehicle for the biscuit fixings.
Civilized
Meant to tell y'all, Mama went to the farmer's market last weekend coked it up last night.

Roast sirloin with carrots and new potatoes, fresh corn off the cob lightly sauted in a little butter, fresh stewed green beans with fatback, cukes and onions with pepper vinegar, and fresh tomatoes.

It was all damn good except for the cukes, strangely. Normally they're more forgiving than other veggies but they were off. All in all a great summer meal though!
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Sounds good.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

Meant to tell y'all, Mama went to the farmer's market last weekend coked it up last night.

Roast sirloin with carrots and new potatoes, fresh corn off the cob lightly sauted in a little butter, fresh stewed green beans with fatback, cukes and onions with pepper vinegar, and fresh tomatoes.

It was all damn good except for the cukes, strangely. Normally they're more forgiving than other veggies but they were off. All in all a great summer meal though!

I hear ya! Sounds like a great feast. I love going to the farmers market. How did the peaches look? If you saw?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.