ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

37,558 Views | 574 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

I had three combination dogs at home last night. Oscar Mayer longer length. Each with one slice of Kraft American singles, and one slice of Sargento's Baby Swiss... topped with some Duke's.

Thrown together on my own rather quickly without too much thought, but damn if it didn't hit the spot perfectly.

Probably taking the wife out tonight, so we'll have to see where she's wanting to go.

Will definitely crack open one of the two Savage Wolve's that I put in the freezer yesterday for one good hard slug before we leave. First six bottles I bought either went on display or were given away as gifts - so this will actually be my first taste... really hope I like it.

I like hotdogs. And cheers. How did you cook the dogs?
I plan to try the marinated hot dogs in worcestershire sauce , onion powder, garlic, sugar: https://www.realmomkitchen.com/marinated-grilled-hot-dogs/

Civilized
TheStorm said:

I had three combination dogs at home last night. Oscar Mayer longer length. Each with one slice of Kraft American singles, and one slice of Sargento's Baby Swiss... topped with some Duke's.

Thrown together on my own rather quickly without too much thought, but damn if it didn't hit the spot perfectly.

Probably taking the wife out tonight, so we'll have to see where she's wanting to go.

Will definitely crack open one of the two Savage Wolve's that I put in the freezer yesterday for one good hard slug before we leave. First six bottles I bought either went on display or were given away as gifts - so this will actually be my first taste... really hope I like it.

Drool. Damn that sounds great.

When you say "combination dogs" what does that refer to? Two types of cheese?

Let us know where you and your wife land for your dinner date!
TheStorm
Where I grew up in North Carolina a "cheese dog" didn't have a hot dog in it. A hot dog w/ cheese was called a "combination dog".
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Where I grew up in North Carolina a "cheese dog" didn't have a hot dog in it. A hot dog w/ cheese was called a "combination dog".

Interesting. I've never heard of that.
TheStorm
ncsupack1 said:

TheStorm said:

Interesting. I've never heard of that.
https://zackshotdogs.com/menus/burlington-original-downtown-location/

Grew up eating here as well as Boston Sandwich Shop (BoSa) which may or maynot exist anymore... both started by Greek immigrants. I figured that it was the same everywhere in NC, but maybe that's not the case.
BBW12OG
TheStorm said:

Slice of hoop cheese, mustard, chilli on bun.

Sound like that Storm?
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

TheStorm said:

Sound like that Storm?

I must have missed this. Lol
BBW12OG
ncsupack1 said:

BBW12OG said:

TheStorm said:

Sound like that Storm?

Good stuff..... the cheese makes it
ncsupack1
BBW12OG said:

ncsupack1 said:

BBW12OG said:

TheStorm said:

Sound like that Storm?

Good stuff..... the cheese makes it

I bet. Sounds good.
ncsupack1
Biscuits and gravy from Biscuitville this morning. Pretty good.
ncsupack1
Got some nice beef short ribs for tomorrow. Picked them up from my wife's family farm. Tonight is going to be steaks on the grill if we make it. Wine and bourbon is flowing.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Got some nice beef short ribs for tomorrow. Picked them up from my wife's family farm. Tonight is going to be steaks on the grill if we make it. Wine and bourbon is flowing.

Sounds excellent!

What does your wife's fam's farm harvest? Killer to have that hookup!

Ribeyes or filets tonight?

What's the brown water of choice this eve?
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Sounds excellent!

What does your wife's fam's farm harvest? Killer to have that hookup!

Ribeyes or filets tonight?

What's the brown water of choice this eve?
The wife's family farm harvest pork and beef. They are out of Johnston County. If you want to ever order dm me. They take orders and everything is vac sealed, drive up and pick up. Drink is Maker's. Tonight, ribeye.
FlossyDFlynt
Poutine from last night.

Currently have meat lovers pizza on the grill
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt said:

Poutine from last night.

Poutine is proof there is a God and boy does he love us.
ncsupack1
Looks good.
TheStorm
BBW12OG said:

TheStorm said:

Sound like that Storm?
Exactly. Cheese is cut into a rectangular block that fits inside the bun. Mustard and Chili were the required condiments. Some friends of mine when we were in HS that was all they ever ordered, but I preferred the combinations.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

BBW12OG said:

TheStorm said:

Sound like that Storm?
Exactly. Cheese is cut into a rectangular block that fits inside the bun. Mustard and Chili were the required condiments. Some friends of mine when we were in HS that was all they ever ordered, but I preferred the combinations.
This is interesting to read. Around here hotdogs were pretty basic. Cool to read about how other areas did their hotdogs.
TheStorm
Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

I know that I'm breaking the rules of the thread here, but I'm going to answer Civ's question about where I took the wife Friday evening (and get a shameless plug in for one of my commercial clients).

https://spiaggiaristobar.com/ - been having soft openings all week since Monday... has a couple restaurants around / in Raleigh and used to have one they sold a few years back in downtown Holly Springs. *so some of you Raleigh based posters might be familiar with the operators.

Previously had to drive to Wilmington to get Italian food like this... Primo!

Gotta wade in here now on the Savage Wolve's. Poured myself a short, fat glass over one oversized ice cube for the first taste and have to say that I was generally impressed... doesn't have that biting vodka aftertaste (which I assume is because of the corn). Bottles were in my freezer out in the garage fridge, so no more cubes after the first one. Drank half of it Friday evening and the rest of it yesterday afternoon. No adverse after affects whatsoever at that general consumption rate anyway.

I have a new deep metal roasting pan with a drip rack in it that I bought for oven prepared prime rib this past winter, I put a slab of baby backs (I think they were Smithfield's brand, but not sure) in it (cut into half racks)... just a light sprinkle of Badia Cilantro Lime Pepper / Salt and then a heavy application of McCormick's Chili Lime Rub and put them in at 190* (no lid) and left them alone from 10 until 3... yeah, I know that I need to get a smoker and learn how to really do it right, but right now that's about the best I can do when I'm normally just cooking for myself.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

I know that I'm breaking the rules of the thread here, but I'm going to answer Civ's question about where I took the wife Friday evening (and get a shameless plug in for one of my commercial clients).

https://spiaggiaristobar.com/ - been having soft openings all week since Monday... has a couple restaurants around / in Raleigh and used to have one they sold a few years back in downtown Holly Springs. *so some of you Raleigh based posters might be familiar with the operators.

Previously had to drive to Wilmington to get Italian food like this... Primo!

Gotta wade in here now on the Savage Wolve's. Poured myself a short, fat glass over one oversized ice cube for the first taste and have to say that I was generally impressed... doesn't have that biting vodka aftertaste (which I assume is because of the corn). Bottles were in my freezer out in the garage fridge, so no more cubes after the first one. Drank half of it Friday evening and the rest of it yesterday afternoon. No adverse after affects whatsoever at that general consumption rate anyway.

I have a new deep metal roasting pan with a drip rack in it that I bought for oven prepared prime rib this past winter, I put a slab of baby backs (I think they were Smithfield's brand, but not sure) in it (cut into half racks)... just a light sprinkle of a store bought Cilantro Lime salt and then a heavy application of McCormick's Chili Lime Rub and put them in at 190* (no lid) and left them alone from 10 until 3... yeah, I know that I need to get a smoker and learn how to really do it right, but right now that's about the best I can do when I'm normally just cooking for myself.
Thanks for sharing. Wife and I are looking around for a new Italian food. I to like the Savage Wolve's.
FlossyDFlynt
packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Poutine from last night.

It turned out really good, but it was a good reminder of why I very rarely deep fry anything. Cleanup is a pain
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Poutine from last night.

It turned out really good, but it was a good reminder of why I very rarely deep fry anything. Cleanup is a pain

Completely agree with the clean up.
ncsupack1
Ribs are on the smoker, High Life in hand, and pre race is on tv. Cheers on this Sunday.
caryking
packgrad said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Poutine from last night.

Poutine is one those things I can't get into…
ncsupack1
Leftover pizza. Check that, clean out the fridge night around here.
FlossyDFlynt
Burger tonight. Mexican style chicken thighs (slight variation of this recipe - https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/mexican-grilled-chicken ) tomorrow
ncsupack1
Burgers and baked beans.
caryking
Sunday afternoon, while watching the US Open, I plan on going with my usual Fathers Day meal…

Sabrett grilled to nicely charred
Patterson's Chili with a couple tablespoons of Honey
Wavey Lays
Bush's Original Baked Beans
Diet Coke
ncsupack1
caryking said:

Sunday afternoon, while watching the US Open, I plan on going with my usual Fathers Day meal…

Wavey Lays
Diet Coke

Sounds good!
GetOffMyLawnPack

Marinated small brisket flat overnight in red wine, salt, sugar, onion & garlic powder. 12 hours; first 4 hrs@ 220F. Last 6 hours at 205F. Theory is keeping the ambient temperature below 212F will mitigate drying out. I had a schedule crunch and had to run smoker from my cellphone the last couple of hours, so it dried out a little more than I wanted. Sliced up with some Kings Hawaiian rolls and took to the 'hood "Men's Book Free Club" sitting around the firepot and telling lies, talking politics and firearms. Good times.
ncsupack1
Looks good. I love doing a brisket but it's work. Bojangles this morning. Haven't decided on dinner?
Civilized
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Marinated small brisket flat overnight in red wine, salt, sugar, onion & garlic powder. 12 hours; first 4 hrs@ 220F. Last 6 hours at 205F. Theory is keeping the ambient temperature below 212F will mitigate drying out. I had a schedule crunch and had to run smoker from my cellphone the last couple of hours, so it dried out a little more than I wanted. Sliced up with some Kings Hawaiian rolls and took to the 'hood "Men's Book Free Club" sitting around the firepot and telling lies, talking politics and firearms. Good times.

Looks and sounds awesome!
Civilized
caryking said:

Wavey Lays
Diet Coke

Making me hungry for dogs again Cary!

Haven't thought about adding honey to chili but see how it could be good if the chili is really savory.
ncsupack1
Hotdogs do sound good.
caryking
Civilized said:

caryking said:

Wavey Lays
Diet Coke

Making me hungry for dogs again Cary!

Haven't thought about adding honey to chili but see how it could be good if the chili is really savory.
An old friend of mine and I were down in his hometown of Gaffney, SC. We went to this old country store, that had a food stand. He told me about their chili using honey. Well, ever since then, I will add honey to my chili. I've settled on Pattersons as they are good enough (I think great) so I don't have to make my own…

My wife knows, on my birthday and Father's Day, that's my meal…. No need to do anything nice (out or whatever else) because that is my meal! I've said.. if I happen to be on death row and my last meal, well… that would be it…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.