ENCstyleBBQWolf's Cookin' Thread....

37,569 Views | 574 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've enjoyed reading everyone's smoking stories. I love my Weber Smoker, but I'm looking hard at the Recteq.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

I have a Kamado Big Joe. Very easy to use for long smokes and holds temp exceptionally. You can buy blower accessories to more regulate temp if you so desire. I have one, that I don't often use, but its kind of neat to pull out from time to time.

I prefer the charcoal grills as opposed to the pellet grills as I believe you get a better smoke flavor. Just my opinion... I have cooked on and have friends that have cooked many smoked meats on different pellet grills. To me, there is always a substantive difference. It could be the cook though. I think the convenience factor in the pellet grills is tough to overcome for many. I'm occasionally tempted myself to get one. I'll probably get one one day too. For now, huge Kamado fan.

Thanks! Same with the Kamado affection and that's what's making me struggle with the decision. The convenience of pellets is obvious, but I'm worried about exactly what you describe, which is you lose some of that really great smoke during the cooks.

I had an Chargriller Akorn (inexpensive enameled steel Kamado) for 10 years that finally rusted out. I resolved when I bought it that I would try Kamado style cooking at the lower Chargriller price point, and if I really enjoyed it, I would step up to a true ceramic with the next one and that's where I'm at.

I'm sure the temp control wasn't as fine as the nicer ceramic models, but it was well insulated and until the seals really started getting some age on them the last couple of years it would hold good temp for a 10 or 12 hour cook.

I know you can get the side smoke box accessories for the pellet style smokers, but at that point, why aren't you just using a true charcoal smoker? When I smoke, I'm not looking for convenience, I'm looking for that flavor.

Also, from a convenience standpoint, you can use the airflow regulators like it sounds like you have.

Was there anything specific that pushed you towards the big Joe versus other Kamado's?

Yeah. Price (end of year sale at a gun/sports store I go to in Mebane). I tried to get the demo at Costco but some dude literally sprinted by me when the store opened and got to the rep first. It's red. Bought it as an entire package (grill, cart with side tables)

I was between it and a Primo at the time. Honestly, I can't remember the sales schtick the guy gave me at a grilling store but he sold me good on the Primo, so I was very interested.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really.

My BIL used that same Akorn for years and had the same result. For the money he spent on it, I think he got incredible value and cooked a lot of good food.
Tootie4Pack
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

When I get to go to my favorite BBQ places, I always get an extra pound or two for the freezer. This talk of BBQ has got me rearranging my work schedule today so that I can go to Grady's in Dudley and get some of the best BBQ you will ever eat. Most under rated BBQ in the State.

I'll let you know how it tastes later today, and the cost of a pound. You guys are correct...the cost has certainly gone up the past couple of years.

Two BBQ bits of info:

1) went to Grady's in Dudley today. As usual , outstanding wood cooked Q. Ate a sandwich with slaw there. Bought 2 pounds of Q and a pint of slaw. The Q is $13. Simply delicious. One in the fridge and the other in the freezer. And the sweet potato pie is worth the drive down there.

2) and ya'll are correct in saying that Smithfield barbecue does give generous servings on their sandwiches, and for Electric cooked barbecue, it is pretty good for sure. Their Brunswick stew is also delicious.
Brunswick Stew at Smithfield's is better than delicious…

Smithfield's is my stop every time
I'm coastal from Durham. Heck, half the time when I'm headed South/West from Durham. I'm going to push back a little on this one.

Food snobbery acknowledged, Smithfield's Brunswick stew gets a little "porridgey" to me. A little thick. I blame it on the "chain" aspect, perhaps to absolve myself from loving an oven based BBQ restaurant. I like my stew a little more soupy/stewy. Seems the potatoes always thicken it up too much for my liking when we get it. Flavor is what I want though. On the head.

BBQ sandwich, fries, and a tea on the way to the beach though.... no other way to travel.

Same. Seems like either the potato starch is thickening up the stew too much, or maybe they go heavier on tomato paste.

Their consistency is top shelf though. Basically everything on the menu is between 'above average' and 'very good', every time you walk into every location.

Brunswick Stew is like potato salad, Cole slaw, pimento cheese, and crab cakes ….. get 20 different people to make it and you get a slight variation from all 20 cooks. And most of the time they are all pretty good, some even incredibly delicious.
Civilized
Tootie4Pack said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

When I get to go to my favorite BBQ places, I always get an extra pound or two for the freezer. This talk of BBQ has got me rearranging my work schedule today so that I can go to Grady's in Dudley and get some of the best BBQ you will ever eat. Most under rated BBQ in the State.

I'll let you know how it tastes later today, and the cost of a pound. You guys are correct...the cost has certainly gone up the past couple of years.

Two BBQ bits of info:

1) went to Grady's in Dudley today. As usual , outstanding wood cooked Q. Ate a sandwich with slaw there. Bought 2 pounds of Q and a pint of slaw. The Q is $13. Simply delicious. One in the fridge and the other in the freezer. And the sweet potato pie is worth the drive down there.

2) and ya'll are correct in saying that Smithfield barbecue does give generous servings on their sandwiches, and for Electric cooked barbecue, it is pretty good for sure. Their Brunswick stew is also delicious.

I'm coastal from Durham. Heck, half the time when I'm headed South/West from Durham. I'm going to push back a little on this one.

Food snobbery acknowledged, Smithfield's Brunswick stew gets a little "porridgey" to me. A little thick. I blame it on the "chain" aspect, perhaps to absolve myself from loving an oven based BBQ restaurant. I like my stew a little more soupy/stewy. Seems the potatoes always thicken it up too much for my liking when we get it. Flavor is what I want though. On the head.

BBQ sandwich, fries, and a tea on the way to the beach though.... no other way to travel.

Same. Seems like either the potato starch is thickening up the stew too much, or maybe they go heavier on tomato paste.

Their consistency is top shelf though. Basically everything on the menu is between 'above average' and 'very good', every time you walk into every location.

Brunswick Stew is like potato salad, Cole slaw, pimento cheese, and crab cakes ….. get 20 different people to make it and you get a slight variation from all 20 cooks. And most of the time they are all pretty good, some even incredibly delicious.
Great point Tootie. I can't remember eating any of those foods and thinking "that's bad." The worst is probably "that's interesting."
Civilized
caryking said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Civ, I mentioned in another thread that your views are deranged, well… ok, I was wrong on some.
Thanks, I think?
caryking
That's funny…
packgrad
Tootie4Pack said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

caryking said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Tootie4Pack said:

Two BBQ bits of info:

Agreed with all but potato salad. If you put raw onions in potato salad, it's terrible.
GetOffMyLawnPack

Ribeye steak for lunch on the screen porch. Smoked to 113f, then on sear station 50 seconds per side.

Civilized
Making me hungry! Looks great!!

Leftover onion rings or did you do those today too?
GetOffMyLawnPack
Civilized said:

Alexia in the frozen food section. Best I've ever found. 11 minutes 380F in air fryer

https://www.alexiafoods.com/creatively-crafted/crispy-onion-rings

They're crispy as Denver's response on occasion.

ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Ribeye steak for lunch on the screen porch. Smoked to 113f, then on sear station 50 seconds per side.

Dang! That looks great, puts my hotdog to shame. Good job.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

Love some onion rings.
ncsupack1
Looks like we are going to thaw some Stephenson's BBQ for tonight.
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Ha! Homemade dogs or did you pick one up from somewhere?
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Heck no, gas station ones..
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Love a good gas station dog!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure how that would go around here...lol To be honest, it was good.
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?
Civilized
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?

The hot dog floor is really high, so not sure I've ever had a bad one but I don't recall having a gas station dog that really separated itself. If I'm getting one at a station or at Lowes, I'm hungry and when I'm hungry there's not much that's better than a dog, of any flavor.

You?

I'm a Snoopy's guy myself if I'm in Raleigh. Their dogs are a dead ringer for my grandma's - steamed buns, red dogs, even the chili and slaw are like Ma's. At Snoopy's it's always mustard chili slaw and onions and even though it's sacrilege to some, ketchup.

Love the Trolley Stop down in WB too when we're down that way! I'll get one all the way with m/c/s/o and one nuclear dog, love me some jalapeños!
ncsupack1
Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?

The hot dog floor is really high, so not sure I've ever had a bad one but I don't recall having a gas station dog that really separated itself. If I'm getting one at a station or at Lowes, I'm hungry and when I'm hungry there's not much that's better than a dog, of any flavor.

You?

I'm a Snoopy's guy myself if I'm in Raleigh. Their dogs are a dead ringer for my grandma's - steamed buns, red dogs, even the chili and slaw are like Ma's. At Snoopy's it's always mustard chili slaw and onions and even though it's sacrilege to some, ketchup.

Love the Trolley Stop down in WB too when we're down that way! I'll get one all the way with m/c/s/o and one nuclear dog, love me some jalapeños!
We have a Snoopy's close by that we eat at a lot. For me, it's a red dog, chili and mustard. I also, like Loves hotdogs.
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?

You?

We have a Snoopy's close by that we eat at a lot. For me, it's a red dog, chili and mustard. I also, like Loves hotdogs.
Imho, Snoopys has great chicken salad too. Sometimes I'll get a small container and have that for a meal.
Civilized
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?

You?

Imho, Snoopys has great chicken salad too. Sometimes I'll get a small container and have that for a meal.

Confirmed. Their chicken salad is quite good.
Tootie4Pack
Civilized said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?

You?

I'll follow up on their chicken salad. Very good. On toasted bread with the shredded lettuce.

And when my Mom was mobile enough to ride in a car, one of her caregivers would take her to the Snoopys at 40/42 once a week for a hot dog and FFs. My Mom loved them.
ncsupack1
Tootie4Pack said:

Civilized said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

Civilized said:

ncsupack1 said:

GetOffMyLawnPack said:

Got any favs?

You?

I'll follow up on their chicken salad. Very good. On toasted bread with the shredded lettuce.

And when my Mom was mobile enough to ride in a car, one of her caregivers would take her to the Snoopys at 40/42 once a week for a hot dog and FFs. My Mom loved them.

40/42 is our spot. My in laws love the chicken salad as well.
ncsupack1
Beef tacos with the fixings. Nothing fancy.
caryking
I am a fan of Snoopy's hot dogs. In fact, I was there last week, splurging…
GetOffMyLawnPack
ncsupack1 said:

Hamburger or steak?
ncsupack1
GetOffMyLawnPack said:

ncsupack1 said:

Hamburger or steak?

Burger. I prefer steak.
FlossyDFlynt
First attempt at poutine tonight
ncsupack1
FlossyDFlynt said:

First attempt at poutine tonight

Keep us updated.
TheStorm
I had three combination dogs at home last night. Oscar Mayer longer length. Each with one slice of Kraft American singles, and one slice of Sargento's Baby Swiss... topped with some Duke's.

Thrown together on my own rather quickly without too much thought, but damn if it didn't hit the spot perfectly.

Probably taking the wife out tonight, so we'll have to see where she's wanting to go.

Will definitely crack open one of the two Savage Wolve's that I put in the freezer yesterday for one good hard slug before we leave. First six bottles I bought either went on display or were given away as gifts - so this will actually be my first taste... really hope I like it.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

I had three combination dogs at home last night. Oscar Mayer longer length. Each with one slice of Kraft American singles, and one slice of Sargento's Baby Swiss... topped with some Duke's.

Thrown together on my own rather quickly without too much thought, but damn if it didn't hit the spot perfectly.

Probably taking the wife out tonight, so we'll have to see where she's wanting to go.

Will definitely crack open one of the two Savage Wolve's that I put in the freezer yesterday for one good hard slug before we leave. First six bottles I bought either went on display or were given away as gifts - so this will actually be my first taste... really hope I like it.

I like hotdogs. And cheers. How did you cook the dogs?
TheStorm
Rolled them around in a frying pan over a gas burner inside. Plated the three dogs on a Chinet with everything inside the buns and got the cheese broken in a little better with 25 seconds in the microwave. Wife was still at work and I didn't leave a mess to hear about later - so it was a general success as far as I was concerned. Hadn't had a dog at home in a while.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Rolled them around in a frying pan over a gas burner inside. Plated the three dogs on a Chinet with everything inside the buns and got the cheese broken in a little better with 25 seconds in the microwave. Wife was still at work and I didn't leave a mess to hear about later - so it was a general success as far as I was concerned. Hadn't had a dog at home in a while.

I hear ya. I'm now wanting hotdogs.
TheStorm
I think some of your earlier posts may have inspired me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.