2023-24 NC State women's tennis (22-9, 9-4) season over

22,687 Views | 481 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After five straight home matches to begin the 2024 campaign, the seventh-ranked Wolfpack will hit the road for the first time this season to take on 19th-ranked Tennessee on Saturday, Feb. 3 at 1 p.m. from the Goodfriend Tennis Center.

Fans looking to follow the Wolfpack in action can do so through the live stream or live stats, as well as following @PackWTennis on Twitter for score and match updates throughout the afternoon.

NC State is coming off winning the ITA Kickoff Weekend and securing their spot in the ITA indoor Championships Feb. 9-12 in Seattle, Wa.

To go along with not losing a match this season, the Wolfpack has yet to drop a point to an opponent winning all five matches by scores of 7-0 and 4-0.

Both the ACC Player of the Week and ACC Double's Team of the Week awards were won by the Wolfpack as Amelia Rajecki was named ACC Player of the Week, and Sophie Abrams and Anna Zyryanova took home doubles Team of the Week honors.

Rajecki has yet to drop a single set all season, as she helped guide the No. 7 Wolfpack to a 2-0 weekend and a trip to the ITA Indoor Championships for the fifth time in the last six seasons. With the two singles win, the Nottingham, England, native sits fifth all-time on the Wolfpack career singles wins list with 87.

Abrams and Zyryanova continue to lead the Wolfpack in doubles play, adding two more wins to stay undefeated at 4-0 on the season. The No. 9 ranked pair has been the first to finish their match all season to help NC State secure the doubles point. Abrams enters the Wolfpack's top 10 for career doubles wins with 64, putting her ninth on the list.

This will be the 11th all-time meeting between the two programs, with the series that dates back to 1983; the series record stands at 5-5. The Wolfpack has won five straight matches against the Volunteers, including last season's meeting 6-1.

Scouting Tennessee
The Lady Volunteers enter the match 5-1 on the season and are coming off a loss to No. 18 USC during ITA Kickoff Weekend. In singles, Tennessee is 25-7 in singles and 11-2 in doubles.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/2/womens-tennis-no-7-wolfpack-visits-tennessee-in-first-road-trip-of-season
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
https://twitter.com/PackWTennis/status/1753100911457759290?t=cpnlm4OEZ-RCVFr7dUqk5Q&s=19
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3
#3 Broadfoot/Rencheli 4-6

Tennessee wins doubles point and leads match 1-0
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki
#2 Rencheli
#3 Zyryanova
#4 Abrams
#5 Zampardo
#6 Dittman
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki 5-2
#2 Rencheli 3-4
#3 Zyryanova 6-0
#4 Abrams 3-3
#5 Zampardo 3-3
#6 Dittman 0-6
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki 6-2, 1-2
#2 Rencheli 4-6, 1-0
#3 Zyryanova 6-0, 1-2
#4 Abrams 6-4
#5 Zampardo 4-5
#6 Dittman 0-6, 2-2
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki 6-2, 2-5
#2 Rencheli 4-6, 3-0
#3 Zyryanova 6-0, 3-4
#4 Abrams 6-4, 2-3
#5 Zampardo 6-6
#6 Dittman 0-6, 4-3
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki 6-2, 4-6
#2 Rencheli 4-6, 5-0
#3 Zyryanova 6-0, 6-4 match tied 1-1
#4 Abrams 6-4, 4-5
#5 Zampardo 6-7, 1-1
#6 Dittman 0-6, 5-5
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki 6-2, 4-6, 5-5
#2 Rencheli 4-6, 6-0, 5-3
#4 Abrams 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 NC State leads match 2-1
#5 Zampardo 6-7, 6-1, 1-2
#6 Dittman 0-6, 7-6, 3-3
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#1 Rejecki 6-2, 4-6, 5-7 NC State leads match 3-2
#2 Rencheli 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 NC State leads match 3-1
#5 Zampardo 6-7, 6-1, 2-3
#6 Dittman 0-6, 7-6, 5-3
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#5 Zampardo 6-7, 6-1, 2-4
#6 Dittman 0-6, 7-6, 6-4 NC State clinches match 4-2
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Vs Tennessee

Doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 5-7
#2 Rajecki/Zampardo 6-3

Singles
#5 Zampardo 6-7, 6-1, 3-6 NC State wins match 4-3
#6 Dittman 0-6, 7-6, 6-4 NC State clinches match 4-2
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Even though it's only 1 point, this Tennessee match shows how much the doubles point matters. We should have won the doubles point in this match. In the deciding doubles match, Abrams and Zyryanova were up a break at 5-4 with Abrams serving for that doubles match, and they got broken and then lost the next two games to drop it 7-5.

If we would have won the doubles point, we would have won this overall match 4-0, (because we won the first 3 singles matches that were completed), and wouldn't have even had to play the other 3 singles matches to completion...which would have "appeared" like an "easy" victory. But because we lost the doubles point, we ended up having to play 5 of the singles matches to completion. They didn't have to play the #5 singles match with Zampardo to completion after Dittmann had clinched the dual at a score of 4-2, but they completed the #5 singles match anyway.

I'm really surprised that Rajecki lost her match. I suspect she just had an off day. If she wins and we had won that doubles point as we should have, we win this dual easily, 6-1. But this shows that if only a few of the matches go the wrong way, you are in for a dog fight in the overall team score.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfer79
WOLFPACK WINS!

@PackWTennis
grinds out a tough comeback 4-3 win on the road against 19th ranked Tennessee to move to 6-0, taking 3 out of 5 3 set matches to take the win with Gina Dittmann clinching at 4-2!
ITA National Indoors up next starting on Friday in Seattle!

Wolfer79
After dropping their first doubles point of the season and five of the six singles courts going three sets, the seventh-ranked Wolfpack battled their way to a 4-3 victory over No. 19 Tennessee Saturday afternoon.

In their first road test of the season, the Wolfpack found themselves down 1-0 heading into singles play. This was the first time they had trailed all year. However, NC State (6-0) continued their undefeated run to start the season with four single wins from Anna Zyryanova, Sophie Abrams, Abigail Rencheli, and Gina Dittmann.

Dittmann, on court six, clinched the match for the Wolfpack. Dittmann lost the first set 0-6 but returned and won the second set 7-6 after holding onto the tiebreak point. In the third set, she eventually pulled away to win 6-4 to give NC State their sixth win of the season.

Another three-set thriller saw No. 27 Rencheli down two games in the third set to come back and beat No. 91 Alana Wolfberg 2-6, 6-0, 6-4

No. 40 Zyryanova was the first to finish winning in straight sets over Catherine Aulia 6-0, 6-4.

The momentum began to shift in the Wolfpack's favor after No. 19 Abrams had little trouble in the third set of her match-winning 6-0 to give NC State the lead for good.

Third-ranked Rajecki fell for the first time this season as No. 92 Sofia Cabezas won the second and third set in their match. Rajecki was down 3-0 but battled back to tie the match up but couldn't complete the comeback.

The lone doubles win came from No. 7 Rajecki and Maddy Zampardo, who defeated Alana Wolfberg and Esther Adeshina 6-3 to remain unbeaten.

Up Next: The Wolfpack prepares to head to Seattle, WA. for the ITA Indoor Championships Feb. 9-12

Singles
#92 Sofia Cabezas (TENN) def. #3 Amelia Rajecki (ST) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
#27 Abigail Rencheli (ST) def. #91 Alana Wolfberg (TENN) 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
#40 Anna Zyryanova (ST) def. Catherine Aulia (TENN) 6-0, 6-4
#19 Sophie Abrams (ST) def. #115 Elza Tomase (TENN) 6-4, 4-6, 6-0
#100 Lauren Anzalotta (TENN) def. #116 Maddy Zampardo (ST) 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 6-3
Gina Dittmann (ST) def. Esther Adeshina (TENN) 0-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4

Doubles
Sofia Cabezas/Elza Tomase (TENN) def. #9 Anna Zyryanova/Sophie Abrams (ST) 7-5
#7 Amelia Rajecki/Maddy Zampardo (ST) def. Alana Wolfberg/Esther Adeshina (TENN) 6-3
Lauren Anzalotta/Catherine Aulia (TENN) def. #52 Gabriella Broadfoot/Abigail Rencheli (ST) 6-4

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/3/womens-tennis-wolfpack-earns-first-ranked-win-of-season-in-4-3-thriller
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack's (6-0) first match against a top-25 opponent resulted in its first ranked victory of the season. While the final scoreline read 4-3, the red-and-white clinched the win at 4-2 despite having lost the early doubles point to the Volunteers (5-2).

While the Wolfpack easily made its way through Alabama and Clemson to earn a berth in the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Seattle, the Volunteers were upset in the ITA Kickoff Weekend. Even with a chip on its shoulder, Tennessee couldn't defeat the Wolfpack in Knoxville. However, the Volunteers took NC State to the brink with five out of six singles matches going to three sets.

NC State lost the early doubles point a surprise for one of the nation's best doubles team. However, the Pack quickly rebounded, winning four singles matches three of which were in three sets to remain undefeated on the season.

With NC State leading 3-2, senior Gina Dittmann clinched the victory with a 0-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 win on court six. Despite getting blanked in her first set, the senior rebounded with a clutch tiebreak win and a solid third set to end it.

Before Dittmann clinched the contest for NC State, the Wolfpack had to dig itself out of a 1-0 hole after losing the doubles point. The No. 7 pair of senior Amelia Rajecki and freshman Maddy Zampardo started the doubles round, defeating their opponents 6-3.

However, Tennessee won the next two matches to clinch the point. First, the Volunteers sat down the No. 52 pair of freshman Gabriella Broadfoot and senior Abigail Rencheli, then the No. 9 pair of sophomore Anna Zyryanova and senior Sophie Abrams lost 7-5, in a tense battle with their Volunteer opponents.

NC State quickly countered once singles started. No. 40 Zyryanova raced through her first set and won 6-0, 6-4 to even the score at 1-1. From there, the rest of the day's singles matches turned into intense, three-set bouts.

No. 19 Abrams turned in the first three-set victory for NC State. The experienced senior won 6-4, 4-6, 6-0 to double the Pack's lead. Her fellow senior, No. 27 Rencheli, dropped her first set but stormed back in her next two, beating No. 91 Alana Wolfberg 4-6, 6-0, 6-4.

The Pack quickly turned a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 lead with its singles play. Even with Tennessee's No. 92 Sofia Cabezas earning a rare win over No. 3 Rajecki in three sets, Dittmann put the Volunteers down for good with her three-setter on court six.

Tennessee won the remaining court, where No. 116 Zampardo was in a ranked battle of her own. The freshman lost in three sets, but NC State had already clinched the victory.

With the first leg of its month-long road trip down, NC State is set to travel to Seattle for the ITA National Indoors starting on Friday, Feb. 9.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/no-7-nc-state-women-s-tennis-earns-first-ranked-win-downs-no-19-tennessee/article_c9e652fc-c306-11ee-879c-87a262f1dbc0.html
Wolfer79
Wolfpack0503
The top 8 teams were seeded for indoor nationals, and then the remaining 8 teams were put in the draw randomly. We got the #8 seed, which is a little frustrating as it lines us up to potentially play the 1 seed in the quarterfinals. I'm not exactly sure how the rankings work, but I know they are subjective as opposed to just the eye test, and we are currently #7 in the country, and which you would think would slot us into #7, which is just one slot, but if we are going to play Carolina, I would rather it be in the finals.

That said, we did draw the lowest ranked opponent in the first round (#21 Washington), so that is a positive for advancing. Here is our half of the bracket with seed labeled and rank in parentheses:

#1 seed UNC (1) vs USC (16)
#8 seed NC State(7) vs Washington (21)
#5 seed Pepperdine(6) vs Virginia (11)
#4 seed Michigan(5) vs California (15)

Friday we play Washington
Saturday if we win, we play the UNC/USC winner, if we lose, we play the UNC/USC loser
Sunday, if we keep winning we are in the semifinals, or if we have lost, there is another consolation match
Monday, the only match is the championship, no consolation matches

So if you are going purely on seeding, we would expect to play Washington Friday, UNC Saturday, then tumble in a consolation match Sunday vs the loser of Pepperdine/Michigan, then fly home.
GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack0503 said:

The top 8 teams were seeded for indoor nationals, and then the remaining 8 teams were put in the draw randomly. We got the #8 seed, which is a little frustrating as it lines us up to potentially play the 1 seed in the quarterfinals. I'm not exactly sure how the rankings work, but I know they are subjective as opposed to just the eye test, and we are currently #7 in the country, and which you would think would slot us into #7, which is just one slot, but if we are going to play Carolina, I would rather it be in the finals.

That said, we did draw the lowest ranked opponent in the first round (#21 Washington), so that is a positive for advancing. Here is our half of the bracket with seed labeled and rank in parentheses:

Saturday if we win, we play the UNC/USC winner, if we lose, we play the UNC/USC loser
Sunday, if we keep winning we are in the semifinals, or if we have lost, there is another consolation match

So if you are going purely on seeding, we would expect to play Washington Friday, UNC Saturday, then tumble in a consolation match Sunday vs the loser of Pepperdine/Michigan, then fly home.
Thanks very much for sharing this information. I agree that it is frustrating to have to face the #1 seed in the second round and doesn't seem right to have us seeded #8.

Are you affiliated with the team in some way?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfpack0503
GuerrillaPack said:

Wolfpack0503 said:

Thanks very much for sharing this information. I agree that it is frustrating to have to face the #1 seed in the second round and doesn't seem right to have us seeded #8.

Are you affiliated with the team in some way?
You're welcome. I am not affiliated with the tennis team. I am a former manager and video assistant with the women's basketball team, coached at other schools for six years, and in the last three years I have been filling in with radio broadcasts and ACC Network Extra broadcasts for the women's basketball team.

That said though, I follow all the Wolfpack teams very closely, and I love to play tennis, so it's a natural fit to follow our tennis teams. College tennis is so exciting, and I feel like if fans got a chance to see some of these matches, they would come to out all the time. I'd love for the ACC to pick up some matches on ACCNX. It seems like a great fit considering almost every other ACC sport is broadcast. I'd even be happy to volunteer to call them. But that's definitely a long shot.

Anyway, I've seen you on here as well. Are you affiliated with the team?

GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack0503 said:

You're welcome. I am not affiliated with the tennis team. I am a former manager and video assistant with the women's basketball team, coached at other schools for six years, and in the last three years I have been filling in with radio broadcasts and ACC Network Extra broadcasts for the women's basketball team.

That said though, I follow all the Wolfpack teams very closely, and I love to play tennis, so it's a natural fit to follow our tennis teams. College tennis is so exciting, and I feel like if fans got a chance to see some of these matches, they would come to out all the time. I'd love for the ACC to pick up some matches on ACCNX. It seems like a great fit considering almost every other ACC sport is broadcast. I'd even be happy to volunteer to call them. But that's definitely a long shot.

No, I'm just a lowly alum and layman. I only asked if you were since you were so knowledgeable about the ITA indoor tournament coming up.

Totally agree on college tennis. I've been a pro tennis fan for many years, going back to my childhood and pulling for Agassi and Sampras. For whatever reason, I just never paid attention to NC State tennis or college tennis in general (or most other non-revenue sports) for my first ~15 years as a Wolfpack fan, until I started by going to a couple NC State women's tennis matches in February 2020. I had no idea how exciting it is. The format of and team aspect of it makes it so much fun to go to the matches. It's now my #1 favorite NC State sport to attend in person, right ahead of volleyball (I also attend women's basketball, football, wrestling, swimming). I'm so so glad I started following the NC State women's tennis program. I'd had more fun following them than any Wolfpack team for all the years 've been an NC State fan. Of course it doesn't hurt that they've been top 10 in the nation for the last 5 years.

I'm with you 100% on them needing to air ACC tennis matches. If something airs on television, it will get viewership. It just may take a little bit of time, but not much. I mean, look at how poker (card games) got popular, and has been aired on ESPN and other networks for many years. And, of course, professional tennis gets big ratings, especially at the grand slams. If they aired college tennis, it could be just as popular as women's basketball or volleyball, or even more popular -- considering how the WNBA has terrible television ratings, versus professional tennis getting good ratings...which I think would translate to women's college tennis potentially getting more viewership than even women's college basketball. Also, as a bonus women's tennis has that "eye candy" factor that college volleyball also has, which women's basketball largely does not.
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack said:

Wolfpack0503 said:

No, I'm just a lowly alum and layman. I only asked if you were since you were so knowledgeable about the ITA indoor tournament coming up.

Totally agree on college tennis. I've been a pro tennis fan for many years, going back to my childhood and pulling for Agassi and Sampras. For whatever reason, I just never paid attention to NC State tennis or college tennis in general (or most other non-revenue sports) for my first ~15 years as a Wolfpack fan, until I started by going to a couple NC State women's tennis matches in February 2020. I had no idea how exciting it is. The format of and team aspect of it makes it so much fun to go to the matches. It's now my #1 favorite NC State sport to attend in person, right ahead of volleyball (I also attend women's basketball, football, wrestling, swimming). I'm so so glad I started following the NC State women's tennis program. I'd had more fun following them than any Wolfpack team for all the years 've been an NC State fan. Of course it doesn't hurt that they've been top 10 in the nation for the last 5 years.

I'm with you 100% on them needing to air ACC tennis matches. If something airs on television, it will get viewership. It just may take a little bit of time, but not much. I mean, look at how poker (card games) got popular, and has been aired on ESPN and other networks for many years. And, of course, professional tennis gets big ratings, especially at the grand slams. If they aired college tennis, it could be just as popular as women's basketball or volleyball, or even more popular -- considering how the WNBA has terrible television ratings, versus professional tennis getting good ratings...which I think would translate to women's college tennis potentially getting more viewership than even women's college basketball. Also, as a bonus women's tennis has that "eye candy" factor that college volleyball also has, which women's basketball largely does not.

I just want to thank you both for the information.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
Cracked Racquets interviews NC State head coach Simon Earnshaw ahead of ITA national indoor tournament:

Wolfer79
For the fifth time in the last six seasons, NC State will participate in the ITA National Indoor Championships this year, taking place in Seattle, Washington. The Wolfpack opens the four-day tournament against the hosts No. 21 Washington on Friday, Feb. 9 at 9:30 p.m. from the Nordstrom Tennis Center.

Fans will have plenty of outlets to follow the action including Cracked Racquets coverage of each match and Nordstrom Tennis Center live stream.

NC State (6-0) earned a spot in the tournament with two wins at ITA Kickoff Weekend. Both wins came in sweeping fashion as NC State defeated Alabama 4-0 on Jan. 27 and Clemson 4-0 on Jan. 28. They are ranked as the eighth seed in this tournament.

Five of the team's six wins have been sweeps this season, except for their most recent 4-3 victory over No. 19. Tennessee.

Friday will mark the third meeting between the Wolfpack and Huskies in program history. The first meeting came in the 2008-09 season in Berkeley, California, with Washington winning 7-0. The most recent meeting took place in 2018-19, when these two teams also met in the ITA Indoor Championship. Washington leads the series 2-0. Like the Wolfpack, Washington enters the contest 6-0 on the season. NC State will be the first ranked opponent they face this year.

NC State reached its first-ever ITA Indoors semifinal in 2022 before falling to UNC 4-1.

In the latest ITA rankings, the Wolfpack has four players in the top 40, with Amelia Rajecki leading the way at No. 10, followed by No. 33 Sophie Abrams, No. 39 Anna Zyryanova, and No. 40 Abigail Rencheli.

The Wolfpack are one of only two teams in the country, with two doubles teams ranked in the top 10. No. 6 - Sophie Abrams & Anna Zyryanova with Amelia Rajecki & Maddy Zampardo at No. 9.

The Field: The 15 teams joining NC State in Seattle this weekend will be No. 1 seed North Carolina, No. 2 seed Stanford, No. 3 seed Oklahoma State, No. 4 seed Michigan, No. 5 seed Pepperdine, No. 6 seed Texas, No. 7 seed Georgia, Washington USC, Virginia, California, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ohio State, and Florida.

Format and Schedule: In Seattle, every team will play at least three matches. Two teams will come through the winner's bracket with three wins in three days, and those two will play for the championship on Monday, playing a fourth match in four days.

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/8/womens-tennis-no-7-wolfpack-opens-national-team-indoors-against-no-21-washington
Wolfer79
Wolfpack0503
We got the late night win over host Washington 4-1. We won the doubles point even though we lost one of the doubles matches and were down 5-4 in the decider. We ended up winning that one 7-5. Then we jumped out to a comfortable lead on multiple courts, ended up being up 3-1 but Washington pushed three matches to three sets. But Rajecki handled business in the third set to close it out.

We now play UNC in the quarterfinals at approximately 6:30 PM Saturday. They were pushed a bit by USC but won 4-1. Of significant note, their best player Brantmeier (highest ranked at least) got injured. One would have to imagine she doesn't play tomorrow. That certainly it changes the equation I think we have to win doubles and then probably Rajecki, Zyranova, and Dittman. But I have faith in all six girls in singles so there is multiple paths to 4 team points.

Also of interest, 5 seed Pepperdine was upset by Virginia on our side of the draw. So the other quarterfinal on our side is 4 seed Michigan vs 11th ranked Virginia. If we beat UNC, we play this winner in the semifinals. If we lose to UNC, we would play the loser of this match in a consolation round.
Wolfer79
The No. 7 NC State women's tennis team earned a 4-1 victory over the No. 21 Washington Huskies Friday night from the Nordstrom Tennis Center to secure their spot in the quarterfinals of the ITA Indoor Championships.

In a rematch of last season's NCAA Championship and for the first time this season, The Wolfpack (7-0) will take on in-state foe and No. 1 ranked North Carolina (7-0) in the quarterfinals of the ITA Indoor Championships. The first serve is set for 6:30 p.m. from the Nordstrom Tennis Center.

The Wolfpack earned their first win against Washington; they were 0-2 against the Huskies heading into the night.

Starting the evening in doubles play, the two senior-freshman doubles teams secured the first point of the night for the Wolfpack. No. 9 Amelia Rajecki and Maddy Zampardo found themselves down for a moment but went on to win 6-4, finishing first on court two. On court one, Sophie Abrams and Anna Zyryanova fell 6-3, meaning it came down to court three.

Abigail Rencheli and Gabriella Broadfoot came into the night 2-1 on the season and battled to a 7-5 win to secure the doubles point for NC State heading into singles play.

The Wolfpack carried the momentum to five first-set victories to control singles play.

On court six, it was the freshman Zampardo finishing first for the first time this season as she had little trouble winning in straight sets, defeating Dariya Detkovskaya 6-1, 6-2 to put NC State 2-0.

The only loss of the night came on court four, with Abrams falling to Melissa Sakar 6-4, 6-2.

After being down three games to love, Zyryanova won eight of nine games to claim the first set 6-4. The sophomore carried that momentum in the second set, where she won 6-2 to put the Wolfpack up 3-1 and a match away from victory.

Clinching the match was none other than senior Rajecki, who took down Erika Matsuda in three sets, winning 6-2, 3-6, 6-1. The win puts her solely in fifth place on the Wolfpack's all-time career wins list with 88.

Singles Results
No. 10 Amelia Rajecki (NCSU) def. Erika Matsuda (UW) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
No. 40 Abigail Rencheli (NCSU) vs. Alexia Jacobs (UW) 6-4, 0-6, 3-2, Unfinished
No.39 Anna Zyryanova (NCSU) def. Astrid Olsen (UW) 6-4, 6-2
Melissa Sakar (UW) def. No. 33 Sophie Abrams (NCSU) 6-4, 6-2
Gina Dittmann (NCSU) vs. Sarah Maude Fortin (UW) 6-1, 4-6, 2-2 Unfinished
Maddy Zampardo (NCSU) def. Dariya Detkovskaya (UW) 6-1, 6-2

Doubles Results
Olsen & Jacobs (UW) def. No. 6 Abrams & Zyryanova (NCSU) 6-3
No. 10 Rajecki & Zampardo (NCSU) def. Fortin & Matsuda (UW) 6-4
Rencheli & Broadfoot (NCSU) def. Detkovskaya & Sakar (UW) 7-5

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/10/womens-tennis-wolfpack-takes-down-washington-4-1-advances-to-quarterfinals-of-ita-indoors-championships
GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack0503 said:

We got the late night win over host Washington 4-1. We won the doubles point even though we lost one of the doubles matches and were down 5-4 in the decider. We ended up winning that one 7-5. Then we jumped out to a comfortable lead on multiple courts, ended up being up 3-1 but Washington pushed three matches to three sets. But Rajecki handled business in the third set to close it out.

We now play UNC in the quarterfinals at approximately 6:30 PM Saturday. They were pushed a bit by USC but won 4-1. Of significant note, their best player Brantmeier (highest ranked at least) got injured. One would have to imagine she doesn't play tomorrow. That certainly it changes the equation I think we have to win doubles and then probably Rajecki, Zyranova, and Dittman. But I have faith in all six girls in singles so there is multiple paths to 4 team points.

Also of interest, 5 seed Pepperdine was upset by Virginia on our side of the draw. So the other quarterfinal on our side is 4 seed Michigan vs 11th ranked Virginia. If we beat UNC, we play this winner in the semifinals. If we lose to UNC, we would play the loser of this match in a consolation round.
Pepperdine was one of the teams that should not have been seeded higher than the Wolfpack. And now that has been validated with their first round loss. If they don't have Brantmeier, we would definitely have a decent chance of beating unc, although it will still take us playing extremely well. I will definitely be watching this one.
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.