2023-24 NC State women's tennis (22-9, 9-4) season over

22,625 Views | 481 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?

No. 7 NC State women's tennis downed No. 21 Washington 4-1 in the first round of the ITA Indoor Championships in Seattle.

The Wolfpack (7-0) earned its berth in the quarterfinals of the ITAs after beating the hosting Huskies (6-1) at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. After claiming the early doubles point, NC State won three out of the first four singles matches to earn its second ranked match win of the season.

Despite the Huskies' loud home crowd, the Wolfpack persevered through a tough opening match of its 2024 run in the ITAs.

"I think anytime that a home team has a crowd like that, especially indoors, it's gonna have an impact on the match," said head coach Simon Earnshaw. "I think it helped Washington, certainly throughout the course of the match, and I think that made it difficult for us."

Through all the noise, NC State claimed the doubles point. The Wolfpack and Huskies split the first two matches, but the red-and-white silenced the crowd with a deciding 7-5 win on court three from senior Abigail Rencheli and freshman Gabriella Broadfoot. Senior Amelia Rajecki and freshman Maddy Zampardo got the Pack's first doubles win a 6-4 victory on court two.

The Wolfpack carried its doubles momentum into singles, winning an impressive five out of the six first sets. Even though Washington fought back, forcing three-set matches on three courts, NC State's strong start played a major role in its overall win.

"Doubles point, five first sets in singles I think at that point, I felt like we had enough to get the win," Earnshaw said. "But there was still a wrinkle or two."

Those wrinkles came after Zampardo doubled the Wolfpack's lead with a succinct 6-1, 6-2 win on court six. The Huskies prolonged the match by taking Rajecki, Rencheli and senior Gina Dittmann to third sets on their respective courts and by beating senior Sophie Abrams in straight sets on court four, 6-4, 6-2.

Sophomore Anna Zyryanova put the Pack in clinch position with a 6-4, 6-2 win of her own. Despite going down 3-0 in her first set, the sophomore caught fire, winning 12 out of her next 15 games against her opponent, Astrid Olsen.

With Earnshaw confident in his team's ability to succeed on other courts, Zyryanova's victory put the writing on the wall for the home side.

"I felt coming into the match that we were going quite an edge at [courts] one, five and six at least on paper," Earnshaw said. "And I still feel pretty confident we would have won all of those points. I think Anna beating Olsen at three was pretty important to make that all comfortable."

From there, NC State needed one of the three three-setters to fall its way and Rajecki came through on court one. The senior split her first two sets winning the first 6-2 and losing her second 6-3 but cruised to a quick 6-1 win in the deciding third set to clinch the Pack's victory.

Both Rencheli and Dittmann's respective three-setters on courts three and five were left unfinished once Rajecki finished off the 4-1 win.

After putting away the Huskies, NC State is now set for its toughest match so far this season, and likely for the entire season. The Wolfpack will face none other than its most bitter rival, No. 1 UNC-Chapel Hill, in the quarterfinal round of the ITA Indoor Championships.

The Wolfpack had an epic three-match saga with the Heels that defined its 2023 season. But Carolina, the perennial best team in college women's tennis, beat the Wolfpack in the NCAA Championship Final. Now, the Wolfpack's long-awaited rematch with the Tar Heels will come a month sooner than when the rivals are slated to play each other in late March.

"The final wasn't enjoyable in the outcome, but still it was a great college tennis match," Earnshaw said. "And you just expect hopefully tomorrow is kind of in the same vein. And hopefully we can be a little quicker out of the blocks, and I think we're going to need to play a better match against UNC, and hopefully if we can do that, we can get through it."

As evidenced by the rivals' championship bout in Orlando last season, the bad blood between the Wolfpack and Tar Heels isn't isolated to the Triangle. This time, the two will square off on the other side of the country in Seattle.

Once again, it's NC State and UNC, and it's a matter of repeat or revenge. The Pack's first serve against the winners of the past four ITA Indoor Championships is set for Saturday, Feb. 10 at 6:30 p.m. EST.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/no-7-pack-women-s-tennis-downs-no-21-huskies-will-face-no-1-heels/article_6fb901d0-c82e-11ee-ab20-ebf1b581074a.html
Wolfer79
Packisback09
Some good tennis going to the wire against unc
Packisback09
Crazy tennis match. Won it on a 3rd set tie breaker 8-6 after being down 6-4 in the tie break facing 2 match points.
GuerrillaPack
Unbelievable match. I quit watching when Zyryanova was down 6-4 in the 3rd set tiebreak, as I thought it was over. I wish I could go back and watch and see how she came back to pull it off.

Gina could have won the entire dual about `15-20 minutes earlier when she failed to convert on two match points with her opponent serving at 3-5 and down 30-40 in the 3rd set. Then Gina got broken trying to serve it out at 5-4 and eventually lost her match.

Yes, unc-CHeat didn't have their best player in Brantmeier, but still a HUGE win for us.

https://instagr.am/p/C3MPdTMgi0J
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Mr. O
Wow. Amazing win.
GuerrillaPack
The match-winning point from Zyryanova:

https://instagr.am/p/C3MSAibgs9h

https://instagr.am/p/C3MPp-hLKYM

https://instagr.am/p/C3MP9ceL52Z
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfpack0503
That was an incredible match. I'll have to type a write up of it when I'm in the computer. It might have been the best college match I have seen. Certainly one of the best. Just wow!

NC State now plays #4 seed Michigan in the semifinals tomorrow. That's our third match so there are no consolation matches for us. It's either win and go to the finals or lose and go home. #2 Stanford and either #3 Oklahoma State or #6 Texas is on the other side.
GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack0503 said:

That was an incredible match. I'll have to type a write up of it when I'm in the computer. It might have been the best college match I have seen. Certainly one of the best. Just wow!

NC State now plays #4 seed Michigan in the semifinals tomorrow. That's our third match so there are no consolation matches for us. It's either win and go to the finals or lose and go home. #2 Stanford and either #3 Oklahoma State or #6 Texas is on the other side.
Definitely was about as good as it can get at the highest levels of women's college tennis, as Alex Gruskin of Cracked Racquets said (after the end of the match in IG post above)...an 8-6 3rd set tiebreak to decide a 4-3 match, in the quarterfinals of a major tournament, upsetting the #1 team in the country who had won this event 4 years in a row. The ITA Tennis Instagram account describes this match saying "This was an all time classic" in this post:

https://instagr.am/p/C3MQhJHrGXa

And the level of play in these matches was very high. Zyryanova and Yarlagadda were hitting their groundstrokes at an extremely high level in their match. Yarlagadda, by the way, is currently ranked #7 in singles in the country, and Zyryanova came in ranked #39. Zyryanova (only a sophomore) has played extremely well this year, and should be a very good one for us going forward. Rajecki was hitting the ball superbly in her match to take out Crawley fairly easily. Rajecki has the power and tools to probably do some damage as a pro....Alex Gruskin of Cracked Racquets was basically saying that during the broadcast.

And Rencheli played the best singles match she has played in a very long time, probably since 2022. She defeated Tanguilig, who is currently ranked #8 in singles in the country. If we could have Rencheli playing like this more regularly, then our team could be a real contender for the ACC and national title this year, even if/when unc gets Brantmeier back. And Zampardo (true freshman) played Tran (#34 in singles) tough for most of their 3-set match. Zampardo should make a big leap in level of play as this year goes on and certainly by next year, and should be a very good player for us.

By the way, here's something I just recently learned. I was walking around the concourse of Reynolds before the Virginia wrestling match last Friday, and was looking at the various displays. On the east side of the building they have a display for tennis, and in it was a plaque commemorating what they said was widely regarded as "the greatest men's college tennis match ever"...the singles championship match in 1978 between John McEnroe (of Stanford) versus John Sadri of NC State (match mentioned in this link as well).

NC State has an underrated tennis history. But rapidly gaining notoriety in women's tennis with their rapid rise to elite status in the last 5 years.
Wolfer79
For the second time in program history, the Wolfpack are heading to the ITA Indoor Championship semifinals after taking down the number one team in the country, North Carolina, 4-3 on Saturday night from the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle.

What was the first of two meetings this season and a rematch of last season's NCAA Championship, the Wolfpack (8-0), for the second time this season, came back from dropping the doubles point to win four singles matches for their eighth win of the season.

It is only the fifth win over UNC (7-1) in program history, with the last coming in the ACC Championship last season. The Tar Heels went into the tournament having won the previous four ITA Indoor Championships and had appeared in the finals dating back to 2014.

With the win, the Wolfpack gets ready to square off with Michigan tomorrow at 3 p.m. from the Nordstrom Tennis Center for a chance to go to their first ITA Indoor Championship finals.

The comeback was led by the seniors Amelia Rajecki, Sophie Abrams, and Abigail Rencheli, who all picked up crucial single wins to help spur the comeback. Sophomore Anna Zyryanova clinched the match. No.39 Zyryanova beat No.7 ranked Anika Yarlagadda 6-2, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)

A two-and-a-half-hour battle saw the Sophomore fight off two match points to come from 4-6 down in the third set tiebreaker to win 8-6 and clinch the match for the Wolfpack.

No.10 Rajecki, as she has done so many times throughout her career, evened the match at 1-1 after winning in straight sets 6-3, 7-5 over No.23 Fiona Crawley.

Following Rajecki was No.19 Abrams, who battled back in the first set and went on to win 7-6 (10-8) and then the second set 6-4.

After being down 3-2 in the first set, No. 40 Rencheli won four straight sets to continue the momentum for the Wolfpack, winning 6-3, and then again down three games to two in the second set, Rencheli rattled off four straight games to win 6-3.

The two Wolfpack single losses came from Maddy Zampardo, who fell in three sets 2-6, 6-2, 2-6. Gina Dittmann had a chance to clinch for the Wolfpack in the third set, going up 5-3, but No.45 Theadora Rabman held off two match points to go on to win 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.

Dropping doubles for only the second time this season, as Rajecki and Zampardo fell 6-4, while Broadfoot and Rencheli fell 6-3. The sixth-ranked doubles team of Abrams, and Zyranova went unfinished to stay unbeaten on the season.

Singles
No. 10 Amelia Rajecki (NCSU) def. No. 28 Fiona Crawley (UNC) 6-3, 7-5
No. 40 Abigail Rencheli (NCSU) def. No. 8 Carson Tanguilig (UNC) 6-4, 6-3
No. 39 Anna Zyryanova (NCSU) def. No. 7 Anika Yarlagadda (UNC) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (8-6)
No. 33 Sophie Abrams (NCSU) def. No. 62 Abbey Forbes (UNC) 7-6 (10-8), 6-4
No. 45 Theadora Rabman (UNC) def. Gina Dittmann (NCSU) 7-5, 6-3, 7-5
No. 34 Reilly Tran (UNC) def. Maddy Zampardo (NCSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2

Doubles
No. 11 CRAWLEY, Fiona / TANGUILIG, Carson (UNC) vs. No. 6 ABRAMS, Sophie / ZYRYANOVA, Anna (NCSU) 5-5 Unfinished
SCOTTY, Elizabeth / YARLAGADDA, Anika (UNC) def. No. 9 RAJECKI, Amelia / ZAMPARDO, Maddy (NCSU) 6-4
FORBES, Abbey / TRAN, Reilly (UNC) def. BROADFOOT, Gabriella / RENCHELI, Abigail (NCSU) 6-3

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/10/womens-tennis-no-7-wolfpack-holds-off-no-1-unc-to-advance-to-semifinals-of-ita-indoor-championships
Wolfer79
thank you for match winning videos
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79

It's not often teams in college women's tennis put No. 1 UNC-Chapel Hill in a corner.

But late in the quarterfinal round of the ITA Indoor Championships in Seattle, No. 7 NC State women's tennis had the top-ranked Tar Heels on the ropes and No. 39 sophomore Anna Zyryanova delivered the knockout blow, upsetting the reigning National and ITA Indoor Champions in a 4-3 thriller.

While Carolina emptied the tank against the Wolfpack in the final minutes, Zyryanova fought off two consecutive match points at the end of a heart-pounding third-set tiebreak. Up 7-6, with her team ready to rush the court, she pulled through, sending a sizzling backhand across the court to send the Tar Heels back to Chapel Hill empty-handed.

"One thing that UNC really do a good job about is they just keep playing, and they don't stop," said head coach Simon Earnshaw. "And you know, I think the thing that happened with Anna was, she just kept playing herself, and eventually somebody has to win, and it happened to be her."

The most electric match of the college tennis season so far was heightened by the recent history between NC State and UNC. After its epic series of matches last season that ended with the Heels (7-1) defeating their Tobacco Road rival in the NCAA Championship final in Orlando, the Wolfpack (8-0) got its long-awaited revenge, stunning the Heels in Seattle.

"It was a great college tennis match," Earnshaw said. "I don't think anybody who was present will think otherwise. We were really fortunate on the day, to be the team that came away with the win, and both teams had multiple chances to win the match. …I think both teams really got the best out of each other today, and it was really great to be part of that."

Unlike the Pack's last win against the Tar Heels, UNC took the early doubles point, making it that much harder for NC State to win four out of six singles matches against the deepest roster in the nation.

But within a couple of hours, NC State proved it didn't need the doubles point. The red-and-white stormed back from a 1-0 deficit to a 3-2 lead, needing either Zyryanova or senior Gina Dittmann to win a few more games in their respective three-setters to win it all.

However, that's easier said than done. UNC's No. 45 Theadora Rabman defeated Dittmann despite the senior's multiple chances to end the bout then and there. With the match tied at 3-3, all eyes turned to court three where Zyryanova and No. 7 Anika Yarlaggadda were battling through the final few games of a three-set slugfest.

"It's one of these matches where there's a lot of wrinkles and changes of the flow," Earnshaw said. "And things started going really towards UNC there for five or 10 minutes."

As if there wasn't enough drama already, Zyryanova and Yarlagadda's match went to a deciding third-set breaker. Each player went blow for blow, but Yarlagadda was ready to complete Carolina's comeback at a 6-4 match point.

Zyryanova wasn't fazed. She staved off not one but two match points and won another for good measure, putting herself up 7-6 with a match point of her own.

Unlike her opponent, Zyryanova didn't blink. Her teammates crashed court three in celebration before her winning shot hit the floor and the victors of the past four ITA Indoor Championships were left stunned.

"It's a sign of the progress that she's been making, that she keeps getting further and further against these types of players," Earnshaw said. "And if you do that, eventually you're gonna win."

Before Zyryanova's heroics, two singles courts fell within ten minutes of each other at the start of the round. No. 10 senior Amelia Rajecki took down one of the nation's top players for years on end, No. 28 Fiona Crawley, in two quick sets. Once Rajecki finished off her 6-3, 7-5 win, No. 33 senior Sophie Abrams won 7-6 (10-8), 6-4 to double the Pack's lead.

Just after, NC State kept its dominant singles run up with a win from No. 40 senior Abigail Rencheli on court two over another one of UNC's most fearsome players, No. 8 Carson Tanguilig. Rencheli won 6-4, 6-3 as the Wolfpack continued to defy the Heels.

"I mean, we've been in these situations so much now that it's kind of not a big deal for us," Earnshaw said. "Yeah, we have it in us, and I think we showed it today."

NC State was in position to win in an even more impressive fashion while threatening to clinch at 3-1. However, for each haymaker the Pack threw, the Tar Heels countered with one of their own.

Carolina's No. 34 Reilly Tran defeated freshman Maddy Zampardo in three sets on court six. Even with NC State threatening to clinch at 3-2, Rabman fought through a match point and ultimately downed Dittmann in an intense three sets. But minutes later, Zyryanova came through, stopping UNC's comeback in its tracks and solidifying a date with No. 5 Michigan in the semifinals.

While the Pack doesn't have much time to reflect on its victory, the 4-3 thriller adds nothing but more drama and intrigue to possibly the most entertaining college women's tennis rivalry in recent memory.

"If you play the same team a lot of times, there's gonna be a lot of different results, and you just keep playing hard," Earnshaw said. "Eventually you'll see everything, and I think today was a really good example of that. I don't think you can see a closer kind of crazy college tennis match, especially with the way that it ended up."

NC State will continue its run in the ITA Indoor Championships as it faces the Wolverines in the semifinals. First serve in Seattle is set for Sunday, Feb. 11, at 3 p.m.

https://www.technicianonline.com/sports/no-7-pack-women-s-tennis-upsets-no-1-carolina-in-ita-quarterfinal-thriller/article_f0db03e4-c8b0-11ee-8a00-73cc06c5ef87.html
GuerrillaPack
Story from Diana Shnaider's Instagram today:

Wolfer79
GuerrillaPack
unc-POS got destroyed by UVA in their consolation match today. 4-0 win for the hoos. I think we broke the Cheats' spirit.

When I was listening to the live stream last night on Cracked Racquets YouTube channel, the main guy Alex said that the Cheats' players were devastated after we beat them last night, from his first hand observation (Alex is on-site in Seattle). They had been to the final in this event 9 years in a row, and won it 4 years in a row. So I guess they felt like they had nothing left to play for.
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-3
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2
#3 Broadfoot/Rencheli 2-6

singles
#1 Rajecki
#2 Rencheli
#3 Zyryanova
#4 Abrams
#5 Zampardo
#5 Dittmann
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-6
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2

Michigan wins doubles point and leads match 1-0

singles
#1 Rajecki
#2 Rencheli
#3 Zyryanova
#4 Abrams
#5 Zampardo
#5 Dittmann
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-6
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2

singles
#1 Rajecki 7-5, 5-3
#2 Rencheli 2-6, 3-6 Michigan leads 2-0
#3 Zyryanova 6-4, 5-5
#4 Abrams 6-4. 4-6. 2-1
#5 Zampardo 4-6, 6-4
#6 Dittmann 2-6, 2-6 Michigan leads 3-0
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-6
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2

singles
#1 Rajecki 7-5, 6-4 Michigan leads 3-1
#3 Zyryanova 6-4, 6-6
#4 Abrams 6-4. 4-6. 4-4
#5 Zampardo 4-6, 6-4, 2-2
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-6
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2

singles
#3 Zyryanova 6-4, 6-7 (8-6)
#4 Abrams 6-4. 4-6. 5-4
#5 Zampardo 4-6, 6-4, 2-4
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-6
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2

singles
#3 Zyryanova 6-4, 6-7 (8-6), 1-0
#4 Abrams 6-4. 4-6. 6-6
#5 Zampardo 4-6, 6-4, 3-5
Wolfer79
vs Michigan

doubles
#1 Abrams/Zyryanova 4-6
#2 Rajecki/Zamardo 6-2

singles
#3 Zyryanova 6-4, 6-7 (8-6), 1-0
#4 Abrams 6-4. 4-6. 6-6
#5 Zampardo 4-6, 6-4, 3-6 Michigan wins match 4-1
Wolfer79
The Wolfpack's run in the ITA Indoor Championships comes to an end in the semifinals as they fall to Michigan 4-1 Sunday afternoon from the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. This was the first loss of the season for NC State.

These two teams will meet in again in 11 days as the Wolfpack will travel to Ann Arbor to take on the Wolverines for a rematch on Feb. 22 at 5 p.m.

The Wolfpack found themselves down 3-0 after dropping the doubles points and falling on courts two and six. But NC State looked to battle back as senior and 10th ranked Amelia Rajecki secured the first point for the Wolfpack with a 7-5, 6-4 win over ninth-ranked Kari Miller.

All three remaining courts went to three sets after Maddy Zampardo won her second set after falling in her first. The freshman gave No. 57 Lilly Jones all she could handle in the third set but ultimately would fall 4-6, 6-4, 3-6 to clinch the victory for the Wolverines.

Sophie Abrams and Anna Zyryanova won their first sets but fell in the second. No. 33 Abrams was in a 6-6 tiebreak with the score 5-5 before it went unfinished. No. 39 Zyryanova found herself up 6-5 against Jaedan Brown, but in a 6-6 tiebreak and up 6-4, Brown scored four straight points to force a third set.

In doubles play, Rajecki and Zampardo had won 6-3, while Broadfoot and Rencheli dropped their match 6-2. The doubles point came down to court one with Abrams and Zyryanova up 4-3 but could not finish as the Wolverines rattled off three straight games to take the match 6-4 and give Michigan the advantage.

Singles
No. 10 Amelia Rajecki (NCSU) def. No. 9 Kari Miller (UM) 7-5, 6-4
No. 18 Julai Fliegner (UM) def. No. 40 Abigail Rencheli (NCSU) 6-2, 6-3
No. 39 Anna Zyryanova (NCSU) vs. Jaedan Brown (UM) 6-4, 6-7 (8-6) 1-1 Unfinished
No. 33 Sophie Abrams (NCSU) vs. No.124 Gala Mesochoritou (UM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-6 Unfinished
No. 57 Lily Jones (UM) def. Maddy Zampardo (NCSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Piper Charney (UM) def. Gina Dittmann (NCSU) 6-2, 6-2

Doubles
No. 11 Jaedan Brown/Kari Miller (UM) def. No. 6 Sophie Abrams/ Anna Zyryanova (NCSU) 6-4
No. 9 Amelia Rajecki/ Maddy Zampardo (NCSU) def. Lily Jones/Anna Ross (UM) 6-3
Piper Charney/ Reese Miller (UM) def. Gabriella Broadfoot/ Abigail Rencheli (NCSU) 6-2

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/11/womens-tennis-wolfpack-falls-4-1-to-michigan-in-semifinals-of-ita-indoor-championships
Packamylase
Doesn't sound too promising on 2/22/24.
GuerrillaPack
Packamylase said:

I'm not saying it would have worked out this way, but if played to completion Abrams and Zyryanova could have won their singles matches, and it would have been a close 4-3 loss. In that case, all we would have to do is flip one point and we would win, with the doubles point being easiest. Rencheli and Dittmann lost badly in singles, but we were in contention for all other points. Michigan is ranked #5 in the nation, so it's no shame to lose to them. I think we definitely have a shot to beat them on Feb 22, but it will take us playing our best.
Wolfer79
Packamylase said:

Last season lost regular season match to.unc-ch 0-7 on April 7
April 23 beat unc-ch 4-1 to win ACC Championship
Then lost national championship 1-4 to unc-ch on May 20

As GuerrillaPack said, there were close matches yesterday, some unfinished that Wolfpack looked to win. Just need continued improvement and good health.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
After an 11-day break from the action, No.5 NC State women's tennis (81-) will be back on the court for a top five matchup and a rematch with No. 2 Michigan (8-3) on Feb. 22 at 5 p.m. from Ann Arbor, Mich.

Fans can follow live stats and check out the live

https://gopack.com/news/2024/2/21/swimming-no-5-wolfpack-gets-set-for-rematch-with-no-2-michigan

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.