2022-23 NC State women's tennis (28-5, 10-3) season over

43,083 Views | 849 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pack on TOP.

Congrats to Millie and Nell for clinching the first @ITA_Tennis All-American Championships doubles title in team history!!

Wolfer79
Match point made better with some from #WPN!

This one sealed the 6-1, 6-2 win over Kari Miller and Jaedan Brown (Michigan)! Congrats to the Wolverine duo on an incredible run at the tournament.

Wolfer79
ITA All-American Doubles Champions

Congratulations to Nell Miller and Amelia Rajecki of @PackWTennis on being crowned Main Draw Doubles Champions!

GuerrillaPack
I didn't realize this until watching today some coverage from Cracked Racquets of this latest tournament, but the ITA All-American Championships are considered like one of the "Grand Slams" of college tennis...along with the ITA Fall Nationals and the NCAA Championships, of course.

The main guy with Cracked Racquets, Alex Gruskin, said after Nell and Millie just won this doubles championship that the NC State women's program has now "made the leap" into the "elite" of women's college tennis -- with evidence of that being the NCAA doubles championship this past spring and now this ITA All-American doubles championship.

And with Diana Shnaider joining an already talented team, it looks like they should be a top 5 team and contend for the team title this year -- as well as singles and doubles titles again at the NCAA Championships.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
Good piece here on the addition of Diana Shnaider to the team:

https://instagr.am/p/CjnhGi2D-AN
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Wolfpack0503
We are loaded in women's tennis right now, at least in doubles. Nell and Millie win a national tournament meanwhile Diana wins the US Open (juniors) doubles tournament. That doesn't include Alana who was our number one before injury and Abi who went to the singles final four last year. Stay healthy this year and national title is a legitimate possibility. We are in the elite 4 or 5 teams nationally.
GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack0503 said:

We are loaded in women's tennis right now, at least in doubles. Nell and Millie win a national tournament meanwhile Diana wins the US Open (juniors) doubles tournament. That doesn't include Alana who was our number one before injury and Abi who went to the singles final four last year. Stay healthy this year and national title is a legitimate possibility. We are in the elite 4 or 5 teams nationally.
Yeah, absolutely loaded...in both doubles and singles. No disrespect to Jaeda and Priska (good players and only losses from last year's team), but replacing them with Alana and Diana is an upgrade to the team. And everyone else returning (Rencheli, Rajecki, Miller, Abrams) is only getting better with another year of experience...especially Rajecki who seems to have taken a big step up.

Shnaider will immediately be probably the #1 ranked player in singles in the nation. She currently has a #203 (new career high) WTA ranking in the world in singles, and #313 in doubles.

Live singles ranking here currently showing Shnaider at #203 in the world: https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-live-ranking

Shnaider has won junior's doubles titles at the U.S. Open, Australian Open, and Wimbledon. So a doubles team of Shnaider and Smith will also probably be a top 5 doubles team in the nation, and arguably #1. And then we have the doubles team of Miller and Rajecki who just won the ITF All-American doubles title, and will be in the mix to win it all at NCAAs.

Of course, the big prize would be to win the team title at NCAAs. The team was ranked in the top 4 most of last year, and almost made the final four at NCAAs. I think this years' team will be one of the top 4-5 teams in the nation for sure (probably top 2-3) and have a very good chance of winning it all.

Looks like UNC will be top 2-3 in the nation as well. They just had 3 singles players in the semi-finals of the ITF All-American Championships a few days ago. But, of course, we didn't have Diana Shnaider or Alana Smith playing at that tournament. With a singles lineup of Shnaider, Smith, Rencheli, Rajecki, Miller, and Abrams...I think we can match up with UNC and the other elite teams. We'd be a virtual lock to get the doubles point, and then be able to win at least 3 of those 6 singles matches against UNC or other elite teams.
Wolfpack0503
I wondered how the college tennis individual rankings worked, as Diana is the #1 Newcomer in the country, but not included in the top 125, when obviously she has the talent to be there. For singles rankings, they start with the exact top 125 from last year, then filter out players no longer in college tennis, then add people at the end. Plus, all rankings throughout the year are determined by results in college tennis. Nothing from WTA/pro type events are included.

So, Abi and Alana start a little lower than they should. Abi was ranked in the high 20s going into nationals, and Alana fell throughout the year because she was injured. And Diana starts out of the rankings completely, and it will take some time for her to climb through the algorithm.

But I agree with everything GuerillaPack says above. We will be a very strong favorite to win every doubles point. And very strong 1 thru 6 in singles. We clinched a lot of our matches last year on the strength of our depth winning at #5 (Millie) and #6 (Sophie). And they have only gotten a year older and better without actually having to move up the lineup. Meanwhile Abi was at #2, went to the Singles Final Four, and might actually drop to #3 in our lineup with Diana and Alana in the lineup.

It's an exciting time for the program. If you like tennis at all, I highly recommend checking out a few matches in the spring.
GuerrillaPack
Wolfpack0503 said:

I wondered how the college tennis individual rankings worked, as Diana is the #1 Newcomer in the country, but not included in the top 125, when obviously she has the talent to be there. For singles rankings, they start with the exact top 125 from last year, then filter out players no longer in college tennis, then add people at the end. Plus, all rankings throughout the year are determined by results in college tennis. Nothing from WTA/pro type events are included.

So, Abi and Alana start a little lower than they should. Abi was ranked in the high 20s going into nationals, and Alana fell throughout the year because she was injured. And Diana starts out of the rankings completely, and it will take some time for her to climb through the algorithm.

But I agree with everything GuerillaPack says above. We will be a very strong favorite to win every doubles point. And very strong 1 thru 6 in singles. We clinched a lot of our matches last year on the strength of our depth winning at #5 (Millie) and #6 (Sophie). And they have only gotten a year older and better without actually having to move up the lineup. Meanwhile Abi was at #2, went to the Singles Final Four, and might actually drop to #3 in our lineup with Diana and Alana in the lineup.

It's an exciting time for the program. If you like tennis at all, I highly recommend checking out a few matches in the spring.
I didn't know that about how the college rankings are done. Thanks for clarifying that.

And I'll echo what you said about recommending that Wolfpack fans come to the matches. I love tennis, but even if I wasn't a big tennis fan, the matches (especially the duals) are very exciting to watch in person. It's more exciting than a "regular" match you might watch on the ATP/WTA tour because you have the team aspect (obviously), and also you have 3 (doubles) or 6 (singles) matches going on at one time -- and at the tennis stadium on NC State's campus you are sitting up higher than all the courts and can watch all the matches at once.

The "main" part of the schedule (with the duals) doesn't start until January, but there is one more event taking place in the area before next year -- the Duke/NC State invitational from November 4th-6th at Duke.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
ITA Carolina's Regional Day 1 @PackWTennis Results

A1 Doubles
Millie & Nell bt Sanz/Tapia-Cruz (NC A&T) 8-1
Chloe & Gina bt Allard/Morse (Queens) 8-3

A2 Doubles
Abigail & Sophie bt Muzzolon/Ortiz (East Carolina) 8-2

Play continues tomorrow at 9am at Wake Forest

Wolfer79
ITA Carolina's Regional Day 2 @PackWTennis 3rd rd Results

A1 Doubles
Millie & Nell bt Redondo/Schwarz (Western Carolina) 8-2
A2 Doubles
Abigail & Sophie bt Buyckx/Thompson (Clemson) 8-6

Both teams advance to the Semifinals!
Singles to start at 1pm.

Wolfpack0503
Gina Dittman beat the 5 seed at a tournament today. I had to look her up to see who she is. Apparently she is a transfer from Northern Arizona where she is the two time BIg Sky conference MVP. That seems like a significant pick up. Does she even make our top six? She certainly can beating players like she did today. Great addition to our depth at the very least to help withstand any injuries. And maybe even more significant if she cracks the rotation.
Wolfer79
TA Carolina's Regional Day 2
@PackWTennis
Results

A1 Singles 1st rd
Gina bt Killingsworth (5)(Wake) 6-4,6-3
Abigail (3) bt Aranda (Charlotte) 6-4,6-3
Nell (8) bt Skegro (Charleston So) 6-2,6-1

Wolfer79
[url=https://twitter.com/CoachEarnshaw][/url]Simon Earnshaw

[url=https://twitter.com/CoachEarnshaw][/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/CoachEarnshaw][/url]@CoachEarnshaw

10h

ITA Carolina's Regional Day 2
@PackWTennis
Results

A2 Singles 1st rd
Millie (5) bt Boyd (Charleston So) 6-1,6-3
Abrams (6) bt Prospalova (Campbell) 6-0,6-1

B2 Singles 1st rd
Chloe lost to Huffman (2)(UNCW) 6-0,6-1

Wolfer79
[url=https://twitter.com/CoachEarnshaw][/url]Simon Earnshaw

[url=https://twitter.com/CoachEarnshaw][/url]@CoachEarnshaw

20h

ITA Carolina's Regional Day 2
@PackWTennis
2nd rd Results

A1 Doubles
Millie & Nell bt Hatton/Medvedeva (Clemson) 8-0
Chloe & Gina lost to Carton/Wooten (Wake) 8-5

A2 Doubles
Abigail & Sophie bt Griffith/Pennings (Furman) 8-2

Round 3 matches in progress

Wolfer79
TA Carolina's Regional Day 3 @PackWTennis Results

A1 Singles 2nd round
Gina lost to Macquet (Charlotte) 6-4,4-6,6-2
Abigail (3) bt Cruz (South Carolina) 6-0,6-2
Nell (8) lost to Shulson (Furman) 6-4,0-6,6-1

Wolfer79
ITA Carolina's Regional Day 3 @PackWTennis Results

A2 Singles 2nd rd
Millie (5) bt Trinkle (College of Charleston) 6-0,6-2
Abrams (6) bt Pennings (Furman) 6-3,6-0

Wolfer79
ITA Carolina's Regional Day 3 @PackWTennis Results

A1 Singles 3rd round
Abigail (3) bt Dawson (Furman) 6-4,6-0
A2 Singles 3rd round
Millie (5) bt #57Shvets (Duke) 6-2,6-3

B2 Singles Consolation 1st rd
Chloe lost to Patterson (Davidson) 6-4,4-6,(10-5)

Wolfer79
ITA Carolina's Regional Day 3
@PackWTennis
Semifinal Results

A1 Doubles
Millie & Nell lost to Crawley/Tanguilig (UNC) 7-6(6),2-6,(10-5)
A2 Doubles
Abigail & Sophie lost to Beck/Morra (Duke) 1-6,7-5,(11-9)

Wolfer79
ITA Carolina's Regional Day 4 @PackWTennis Results

A1 Singles Semifinals
Abigail lost to #5Chloe Beck (Duke) 7-5,6-7(3),6-1

A2 Singles Semifinals
Millie lost to #2Sarah Hamner (South Carolina) 6-2,0-6,6-2

That completes play at the ITA Carolina's Regional

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NC State Invitational Day 1
@PackWTennis vs Wisconsin
Doubles:
Chloe & Gina bt Cataldi/Apte 6-4
Singles:
Gina bt Taylor Cataldi 6-3,5-7,6-2
Chloe bt Anisha Apte 6-7(9),6-4,6-1

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NC State Invitational Day 2
@PackWTennis vs Duke
Doubles:
Chloe & Gina lost to Codd/Shvets 6-3
Singles:
Gina bt Katie Codd 6-3,2-6,6-4
Chloe lost to Brianna Shvets 6-0,6-1

Wolfer79
Great fight by Diana Shnaider
@PackWTennis
with leads in both sets but her run at the WTA 125 event in Colina ends in the Singles Quarterfinals to WTA #79 Danka Kovinic. Diana will move up to around #160 in next weeks WTA World rankings

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
What a Thanksgiving Week for @PackWTennis !!!!!
Diana Shnaider
WTA 125 Montevideo Singles

Millie Rajecki
W15 Santo Domingo Singles
Millie Rajecki & Nell Miller
W15 Santo Domingo Doubles

Maddy Zampardo
USTA 18's National Indoors Singles & Doubles
#GoPack

GuerrillaPack
This team is going to be really really good. Rajecki was the #5 singles player on the team last year, but appears to have made big strides since the end of last season, and is now #23 nationally. And of course you have Diana Shnaider now at 109 in the WTA rankings. This team has a very good chance of winning the team NCAA title.

Wolfpack fans better take advantage of witnessing this potential greatness. I've been going to the home matches for the last two years. It's free admission, an exciting format, great venue, and overall outstanding event/sport to see in person.
Wolfpack0503
I haven't paid a ton of attention to fall tennis over the years but it seems like in years past we've played in fall
college tournaments, but this year we are playing in a bunch of pro tournaments. I would imagine that would be attractive to recruits and great competition. Does anyone on here that's closer to the program know if this is a change in philosophy? I'm just curious how it all works. I guess they can't win any of the prize money.

I do think that our individual rankings might not be as high in January because rankings come from college results, but in the end I think we will have an even better season because of it.

Also just FYI, with as good as Diana is doing, I worry that she could just turn pro at any time, but I did see her on campus a couple of days ago so she is here and hopefully ready to help us to a great college season!
Wolfer79

Take A Listen

ITA COO @DaveMullins_ITA sits down with @CoachEarnshaw on the latest episode of the ITA Coaches Podcast!

Apple: bit.ly/3PohrbO
Spotify: bit.ly/3uNHVtL
YouTube: bit.ly/3j2m1AF

Wolfer79
Fresh off winning her first ITF singles title, @PackWTennis' Millie Rajecki gets off to a strong start at the #LTABritishTourMasters with a straight sets defeat of Erin Pearce.

Rajecki joins top seed Christie & no. 2 seed Emma Wilson in picking up opening group stage wins.

Wolfer79
One down, two to go!

Millie Rajecki makes it a perfect four sets played, four sets won as she edges no. 2 seed Emma Wilson in her second group stage clash.

Francesca Simpson vs Heidi Crncan and Erin Pearce vs Ciara Moore ongoing to close the day:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.