Climate Change

34,244 Views | 369 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by ncsupack1
Packchem91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wufpack17 said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

I've lived in Salt Lake now for 15 years. Much of the western part of the country is desert. You can't keep growing the populations of places like Utah, Arizona and Vegas and not expect there to be issues. It's been my biggest concern about the growth of greater Salt Lake City.

Agreed - to me, the most provable man-driven climate impact is development in naturally dry areas.

I've been to Phoenix / Chandler and driven that whole area, and it's just mind numbing how many homes / businesses are there - you just drive on and on amd on, and it is developed. That water / power has to drawn from elsewhere and just seems like will never catchIs this actual climate change, or is it just misuse/mishandling of resources

Well, clearly its the latter. But that is why i termed it man-driven climate impact. I don't know if it changes the day-in, day-out climate, but it most certainly impacts the results of the climate. But when you put down that much concreted on a desert, then you're sucking that much water out of the ground, and changing what God has created there....it can't be good.

To me, a similar example -- Hurricane Harvey in Houston. Stalled out and dropped 40+ inches of rain over several days. Terrible flooding. Now, i have no idea if climate change caused the storm. We've always had hurricanes (that area suffered the most deadly ever in Galveston 100 years ago).
And if that area had been left to the swamps and bayous that it was 200 years ago, all that rain would have had recourse. Instead, its now a concrete jungle with development where it just shouldn't be.
So now you have a huge climate impact -- hurricane produces catastrophic flooding in great part because human development destroyed what God intended with run off.

I guess that's my question regarding "climate change" arguments. Many arguments discuss the events that cause "catastrophic damage." But, if we build more stuff then there is more stuff to destroy.

I 100% believe that things are changing. I'm not convinced it's all on man. Our planet goes in cycles. Studies that go beyond the last 500-1000 years show this.

I do believe our environment needs help. I'm more worried about trash in our oceans and other waterways. These are the things that bother me. I'm of the opinion that our environment needs a cleansing and that is something we can have a bigger quicker impact on.
I'm with you on that. I do think there is a man-made element, but our measurements are somewhat limited in relation to other micro-cycles. And to me, the more immediate threat is the every day water/air we come into contact with.

I went on a mission trip last summer to Honduras. Every part of the country could use a cleanse (when you're poor and trying to get by, trash just doesn't matter as much, i guess)
But on our fun day, we went to this beach resort called La Ensenada. At the entrance, the planned layout was beautiful, with waterways with piers and people stand up paddleboarding with homes on the water, etc.
In reality....when we crossed over these canals, they were clogged with every kind of rubbish you could imagine.

Multiply that across the country, many of the waters serving as sources of drinking / cleaning for people....and you can see why illness, etc.

I do think this is one area where US has really improved. Nowhere near perfect, but our waterways are much cleaner now. I think people want to be able to use them, want to be able to recreate, fish, swim, etc.
I think most people care about trash all over the place. I remember seeing cigarette buts everywhere, on the streets. That bothered me, immensely. I'm not sure how to deal with this selfish act.

We should have continuous cleaning of our country; however, other countries need to be accountable to their own. Regarding Climate Change, I'm not bought in at all. Too many changes in the name of the crisis for me to… just believe it. Call me simple minded.
I'd amend your 1st para to add the qualifier "in developed countries". As my example about Honduras -- go to poor countries (and away from the beach-front resorts), and you'll see issues

As for climate change, I don't think there is any doubt that it is occurring. Now, is it man affected? Is it too short a period of time to know if it is a usual trend in the billions of years of earth age, or a real issue? I have my opinions, but thats all they are.

But three examples:
1) Tornado alley has shifted from TX/OK/KS -- the plains -- to the Southeast up thru KY, OH, etc. A noticeable tick downwards in the plains and upwards in the SE. But realistically, we only have ~150 years of knowledge about this...so is this just a trend back to the norm, or a blip, or what?

2) Polar Ice cap -- NASA measurements suggest in coverage, thickness, and average ice age, all significant reductions since 1980s. Again, is this a normal cycle over a 40 year period versus the billions of years of earth?

3) Glacier National. Significant glacier reduction since the 1850s, from 130 to 20-something. Other areas have seen similar reduction. Is this a normal trend over hundreds/thousands of years, or has the acceleration been enhanced?

Certainly the doom-n-gloom forecasts of well known tourism spots under the water by 20xx and all that cast a negative view of those who suggest global climate change...but I don't think there is any doubt its occurring.
I'm just not sure if its normal, or enhanced, and while I think we should always consider the environment in all of our legislative and business decisions, that it shouldn't be the overwhelming driver that it sometimes is today.*

**Or if it is, it should be localized -- meaning, I can fully understand why the SW states would apply much more consideration of water table impacts on whether to allow more development to occur, for example, than what authorities in the Carolinas might do.

Chem there are studies out there that have come from the polar ice samples that show evidence of these trends going back several hundred thousand years. The trends show we're on the upward end of a warming trend with a cold downfall looming. The problem with current pro "climate change" models are that they only focus on the last few hundred years.

Again as we know, you can shape any study to fit the narrative you want to produce. So, take it for what it's worth.
I agree to the extent that our measurements are taking a view of 200 years versus millions.
And that stories can be spun in multiple ways. As I said, I think caution has to be given to creating legislation driven by this data in a vacuum.
But purely my opinion.....you pump out the amount of CO2 we do now with the WW population growth over the past 10, 20, 50 years....it HAS to affect something. Its ultimately a fixed formula of inputs and outputs....and we've drastically changed the amount of inputs.

Many of the folks that are against this climate change model, agree that there is an effect of man made carbon output, but that the effect on our climate is negligible.

I'm going to use SLC as an example of where my head is at. Air quality is a huge talking point out here. We have a thing called inversion here and it happens because we live in a bowl in the valley. It happens in the winter and it's basically an absence of weather. There is no wind or anything to circulate the air and all the normal pollutants get trapped in the bowl.

When this happens, the air gets mucky and ugly and sticks around for a few days until a weather system comes along and blows it out and clears the air. During this time, the climate change group screams and yells about how big of an issue it is. We get 15-20 days of it per year. The rest of the year is beautiful.

Now, if you talk to folks born and raised here, it was a lot worse in the 70's and 80's when everything was coal burning and cars weren't as clean. They say it could be weeks and sometimes months of crappy air during the winter. But, the population now is 2-3 times what it was at those times.

Manufacturing is cleaner in this country than ever and cars are cleaner than ever, despite a growth in population. Despite all of this in SLC, local government is pushing an inland port that will bring more and more diesel trucks to the valley. So, is it important or not? Or is it only important when the economics matter?

That's why I'm more worried about the trash build up in our environment. That is something we can better control and vastly help our planet we live in.

three takeways from that. (and I agree...these are the type of reasonable discussions that SHOULD be happening...not the overly sensitively reactions on either extreme that seem to dominate the topic

1) there is no doubt that people / media seize on a 1-2 day occurrence and try to say THAT is a sign. Well, it may be. Or it could be that its the same thing that happens a couple of x a year for 100000 years.

2) no doubt -- changes already enacted about coal emissions and other such have helped tremendously from back in the 70s -- those smog pictures from the western cities that get the stale weather at times of the year.....so much better now. But....those are result of legislation that drove reduction.

3) the scenario you paint about the decision SLC to make on inland port --- fjobs / $$ vs environmental impact -- shapes every local decision to be made nowadays, rightly so. Seems, to your point -- within boundaries established at the federal level, it shoudl be up to the locals to decide what they value more.

**as a guy who loves the water, I'd prefer not to have a port in my town. But they can bring some serious jobs
You mean like the house that fell into the Atlantic in OBX and it was immediately tied to climate change? Not the fact that OBX is a group of barrier islands that travelled over 50,000 feet since they were created just 50,000 years ago.

Or a lake drying up in a desert...

A lot of our "issues" are a result of decisions being made to build things in places where they should never have been built, thinking we could combat mother nature. It has nothing to do with Climate Change.
Yep -- made the same point earlier in this thread. In your desert scenario, throw in development that has seen millions of humans build homes and business in said desert. What did anyone think was going to happen?

Or Houston -- Hurricane Harvey was terrible and dumped unbelievable volumes of rain, but when you put all that asphalt in wetlands, and now instead of that natural barrier for runoff, you have streets and parking lots and driveways...it just exacerbates the issue and creates a crisis where one may have been absorbed 100 years ago
dogplasma
Here's a question that I promise is genuine and not a setup. For those that discount climate change, or are even just on the fence, what sort of information would make you think that it's a real thing? In other words, pretend that climate change becomes real in the future. What would it be that would tip the scales for you personally? Is there some specific trend or observation, or would you need to hear it endorsed by a specific source?
GuerrillaPack
dogplasma said:

Here's a question that I promise is genuine and not a setup. For those that discount climate change, or are even just on the fence, what sort of information would make you think that it's a real thing? In other words, pretend that climate change becomes real in the future. What would it be that would tip the scales for you personally? Is there some specific trend or observation, or would you need to hear it endorsed by a specific source?
The climate is always changing. It has since the beginning of time. There was an ice age, a mini ice age, and various worldwide warming and cooling periods all through recorded history. Human activity has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is caused by natural phenomena -- changes in sun activity, ocean currents, huge volcanic eruptions, etc.

The better question is how many times are the people who want to believe these lying Leftist ideologues going to be duped and lied to, and yet still continue to believe these Leftist leaders? How many times does Al Gore (or whoever the new "leader" is) have to predict the North Pole ice cap is going to "totally melt", before these people finally get a clue that these people are just spreading baseless fear-mongering and lies?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Steve Videtich
Why couldn't it be that we've seen information that says the climate is changing, but that it's happening naturally the way it has for the life of our planet? The info that I've seen says we're nearing the peak of the planet warming, as it does about every 15,000 years. And then, we will start to get colder.

Earth has been a lot hotter.
Earth has been a lot colder.
Earth has had much higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere and it was before the industrial revolution.

Why do you automatically assume it's because of the messenger and not because of the "science?"
BBW12OG
Why have we heard the same thing for decades? Why does one party continue to push this narrative?

I remember us heading into the Ice Age...
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
caryking
Packchem91 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

I've lived in Salt Lake now for 15 years. Much of the western part of the country is desert. You can't keep growing the populations of places like Utah, Arizona and Vegas and not expect there to be issues. It's been my biggest concern about the growth of greater Salt Lake City.

Agreed - to me, the most provable man-driven climate impact is development in naturally dry areas.

I've been to Phoenix / Chandler and driven that whole area, and it's just mind numbing how many homes / businesses are there - you just drive on and on amd on, and it is developed. That water / power has to drawn from elsewhere and just seems like will never catchIs this actual climate change, or is it just misuse/mishandling of resources

Well, clearly its the latter. But that is why i termed it man-driven climate impact. I don't know if it changes the day-in, day-out climate, but it most certainly impacts the results of the climate. But when you put down that much concreted on a desert, then you're sucking that much water out of the ground, and changing what God has created there....it can't be good.

To me, a similar example -- Hurricane Harvey in Houston. Stalled out and dropped 40+ inches of rain over several days. Terrible flooding. Now, i have no idea if climate change caused the storm. We've always had hurricanes (that area suffered the most deadly ever in Galveston 100 years ago).
And if that area had been left to the swamps and bayous that it was 200 years ago, all that rain would have had recourse. Instead, its now a concrete jungle with development where it just shouldn't be.
So now you have a huge climate impact -- hurricane produces catastrophic flooding in great part because human development destroyed what God intended with run off.

I guess that's my question regarding "climate change" arguments. Many arguments discuss the events that cause "catastrophic damage." But, if we build more stuff then there is more stuff to destroy.

I 100% believe that things are changing. I'm not convinced it's all on man. Our planet goes in cycles. Studies that go beyond the last 500-1000 years show this.

I do believe our environment needs help. I'm more worried about trash in our oceans and other waterways. These are the things that bother me. I'm of the opinion that our environment needs a cleansing and that is something we can have a bigger quicker impact on.
I'm with you on that. I do think there is a man-made element, but our measurements are somewhat limited in relation to other micro-cycles. And to me, the more immediate threat is the every day water/air we come into contact with.

I went on a mission trip last summer to Honduras. Every part of the country could use a cleanse (when you're poor and trying to get by, trash just doesn't matter as much, i guess)
But on our fun day, we went to this beach resort called La Ensenada. At the entrance, the planned layout was beautiful, with waterways with piers and people stand up paddleboarding with homes on the water, etc.
In reality....when we crossed over these canals, they were clogged with every kind of rubbish you could imagine.

Multiply that across the country, many of the waters serving as sources of drinking / cleaning for people....and you can see why illness, etc.

I do think this is one area where US has really improved. Nowhere near perfect, but our waterways are much cleaner now. I think people want to be able to use them, want to be able to recreate, fish, swim, etc.
I think most people care about trash all over the place. I remember seeing cigarette buts everywhere, on the streets. That bothered me, immensely. I'm not sure how to deal with this selfish act.

We should have continuous cleaning of our country; however, other countries need to be accountable to their own. Regarding Climate Change, I'm not bought in at all. Too many changes in the name of the crisis for me to… just believe it. Call me simple minded.
I'd amend your 1st para to add the qualifier "in developed countries". As my example about Honduras -- go to poor countries (and away from the beach-front resorts), and you'll see issues

As for climate change, I don't think there is any doubt that it is occurring. Now, is it man affected? Is it too short a period of time to know if it is a usual trend in the billions of years of earth age, or a real issue? I have my opinions, but thats all they are.

But three examples:
1) Tornado alley has shifted from TX/OK/KS -- the plains -- to the Southeast up thru KY, OH, etc. A noticeable tick downwards in the plains and upwards in the SE. But realistically, we only have ~150 years of knowledge about this...so is this just a trend back to the norm, or a blip, or what?

2) Polar Ice cap -- NASA measurements suggest in coverage, thickness, and average ice age, all significant reductions since 1980s. Again, is this a normal cycle over a 40 year period versus the billions of years of earth?

3) Glacier National. Significant glacier reduction since the 1850s, from 130 to 20-something. Other areas have seen similar reduction. Is this a normal trend over hundreds/thousands of years, or has the acceleration been enhanced?

Certainly the doom-n-gloom forecasts of well known tourism spots under the water by 20xx and all that cast a negative view of those who suggest global climate change...but I don't think there is any doubt its occurring.
I'm just not sure if its normal, or enhanced, and while I think we should always consider the environment in all of our legislative and business decisions, that it shouldn't be the overwhelming driver that it sometimes is today.*

**Or if it is, it should be localized -- meaning, I can fully understand why the SW states would apply much more consideration of water table impacts on whether to allow more development to occur, for example, than what authorities in the Carolinas might do.

Chem there are studies out there that have come from the polar ice samples that show evidence of these trends going back several hundred thousand years. The trends show we're on the upward end of a warming trend with a cold downfall looming. The problem with current pro "climate change" models are that they only focus on the last few hundred years.

Again as we know, you can shape any study to fit the narrative you want to produce. So, take it for what it's worth.
I agree to the extent that our measurements are taking a view of 200 years versus millions.
And that stories can be spun in multiple ways. As I said, I think caution has to be given to creating legislation driven by this data in a vacuum.
But purely my opinion.....you pump out the amount of CO2 we do now with the WW population growth over the past 10, 20, 50 years....it HAS to affect something. Its ultimately a fixed formula of inputs and outputs....and we've drastically changed the amount of inputs.

Many of the folks that are against this climate change model, agree that there is an effect of man made carbon output, but that the effect on our climate is negligible.

I'm going to use SLC as an example of where my head is at. Air quality is a huge talking point out here. We have a thing called inversion here and it happens because we live in a bowl in the valley. It happens in the winter and it's basically an absence of weather. There is no wind or anything to circulate the air and all the normal pollutants get trapped in the bowl.

When this happens, the air gets mucky and ugly and sticks around for a few days until a weather system comes along and blows it out and clears the air. During this time, the climate change group screams and yells about how big of an issue it is. We get 15-20 days of it per year. The rest of the year is beautiful.

Now, if you talk to folks born and raised here, it was a lot worse in the 70's and 80's when everything was coal burning and cars weren't as clean. They say it could be weeks and sometimes months of crappy air during the winter. But, the population now is 2-3 times what it was at those times.

Manufacturing is cleaner in this country than ever and cars are cleaner than ever, despite a growth in population. Despite all of this in SLC, local government is pushing an inland port that will bring more and more diesel trucks to the valley. So, is it important or not? Or is it only important when the economics matter?

That's why I'm more worried about the trash build up in our environment. That is something we can better control and vastly help our planet we live in.

three takeways from that. (and I agree...these are the type of reasonable discussions that SHOULD be happening...not the overly sensitively reactions on either extreme that seem to dominate the topic

1) there is no doubt that people / media seize on a 1-2 day occurrence and try to say THAT is a sign. Well, it may be. Or it could be that its the same thing that happens a couple of x a year for 100000 years.

2) no doubt -- changes already enacted about coal emissions and other such have helped tremendously from back in the 70s -- those smog pictures from the western cities that get the stale weather at times of the year.....so much better now. But....those are result of legislation that drove reduction.

3) the scenario you paint about the decision SLC to make on inland port --- fjobs / $$ vs environmental impact -- shapes every local decision to be made nowadays, rightly so. Seems, to your point -- within boundaries established at the federal level, it shoudl be up to the locals to decide what they value more.

**as a guy who loves the water, I'd prefer not to have a port in my town. But they can bring some serious jobs
You mean like the house that fell into the Atlantic in OBX and it was immediately tied to climate change? Not the fact that OBX is a group of barrier islands that travelled over 50,000 feet since they were created just 50,000 years ago.

A lot of our "issues" are a result of decisions being made to build things in places where they should never have been built, thinking we could combat mother nature. It has nothing to do with Climate Change.
Yep -- made the same point earlier in this thread. In your desert scenario, throw in development that has seen millions of humans build homes and business in said desert. What did anyone think was going to happen?

Or Houston -- Hurricane Harvey was terrible and dumped unbelievable volumes of rain, but when you put all that asphalt in wetlands, and now instead of that natural barrier for runoff, you have streets and parking lots and driveways...it just exacerbates the issue and creates a crisis where one may have been absorbed 100 years ago
So, the liberals are correct…. It is man-made!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
caryking
I don't think anyone here is opposed to alternative means of energy. Heck, I've lived with a Nuclear Plant down the road from me, in Cary, for a long time. It's energy!! I completely disagree with the notion that we have to go full force into an energy source that "CAN'T" supply us adequately. Every move has to be a transition.

The earth is "NOT" going to dissolve, explode, and/or change to an unlivable situation. Furthermore, why are people so excited to move to any solution that is virtually supported by the CCP? Sorry, let the earth scorch before anymore is handed over to them. It might be a better solution. I'll just go to heaven and be happier anyway…

We have so many option that aren't being fully explored. Why? I really don't know. That said, the options that are being pushed have a manufacturing base, in China. Why? I really don't know.

On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
GuerrillaPack
This is the REAL agenda with the "climate change" hoax/fraud. The real goal is to destroy cheap and abundant energy (ie, "phase out fossil fuels") and also to destroy cheap and abundant food supply (ie, now shutting down farming "to save the world from harmful emissions").

Why? To make it easier to CONTROL human beings -- ie, to enslave them and make them dependent on government, and to eventually reduce human population worldwide.

It's an anti-human agenda. Period. It's Satanic. The Marxist/NWO ruling elites are literal Satanists.

https://instagr.am/p/CikEqjqAR1V
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Packchem91
caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Wufpack17 said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

caryking said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

Packchem91 said:

Steve Videtich said:

But three examples:

So, the liberals are correct…. It is man-made!
Well, outcomes can be significantly impacted by man-made decisions, yes. The above is about results of those decisions, not climate change.
You build in places where nature can get you, it will. Build on a barrier island, don't be shocked when the sand moves. Build in a desert, why would you expect water to remain unending. Pave over a swamp...the water has to still go somewhere. Those are all development decisions, not climate. And I'd suspect locals of both parties have helped fuel those.

But yes, I do think it is impossible to pour as much CO2 into the atmosphere was we have over time and not have some impact on climate as well. Doesn't mean it is as extreme as you'd think based on headlines, but i believe it is happening
dogplasma
Steve Videtich said:

Why couldn't it be that we've seen information that says the climate is changing, but that it's happening naturally the way it has for the life of our planet? The info that I've seen says we're nearing the peak of the planet warming, as it does about every 15,000 years. And then, we will start to get colder.

Earth has had much higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere and it was before the industrial revolution.

Why do you automatically assume it's because of the messenger and not because of the "science?"
I really wasn't making any assumptions with the question. I think people in general, on all sides, form their beliefs based on some combination of information and source and I was curious about that. Your CO2 statement for example: The historical data reported by NASA and the NOAA shows levels nearly twice as high today as in the last 800,000 years. I can't verify that myself to any extent, but I see those sources as accurate and apolitical.
Packchem91
dogplasma said:

Steve Videtich said:

I really wasn't making any assumptions with the question. I think people in general, on all sides, form their beliefs based on some combination of information and source and I was curious about that. Your CO2 statement for example: The historical data reported by NASA and the NOAA shows levels nearly twice as high today as in the last 800,000 years. I can't verify that myself to any extent, but I see those sources as accurate and apolitical.
I do too....but a lot of people, as you can see at times on this board, will say NASA and NOAA are government agencies, and as such, their data is political and incorrect.

Steve Videtich
I guess the evidence that I looked at goes beyond 800000 years, more like several million years.
PackFansXL
dogplasma said:

Steve Videtich said:

Obama changed NASA's mission. See below:

https://capitalresearch.org/article/dismantling-nasa-an-obama-legacy/

Quote:

While Congress was able to salvage some of the Constellation program, setting the stage for our next president to restore the program, the Obama administration turned NASA's focus towards a much less awe-inspiring goal: Combating "global warming."

During the Obama administration, NASA's focus on earth sciences has risen 41 percent, while its core focus of space exploration has been essentially gutted. In 2012, 49 former NASA astronauts and scientists petitioned NASA to cease its advocacy of "extreme" positions relating to the environment.
Political leaders from both sides of the aisle have found this shift in the agency's focus very unsettling.

With the increasing espionage threat from China and the loss in overall scientific advancement many congressional leaders fear the unintended consequences could be massive.
dogplasma
No, you're right - levels are estimated to have been higher a long time ago. 800,000 years is where direct measurements end. But it was also warmer back in the dino days. And there's the current rate of change that factors in. And, I think, the solar input is different now. But that's not really where I was going with my question.
dogplasma
I guess your point is that NASA isn't apolitical? They're a government funded agency so they certainly see priorities shift with each administration. But that doesn't mean the results that come from the missions they run are predetermined or purely political. I get the argument, but that doesn't give much credit to the majority of scientists or the scientific process. But that's also not really where I was headed.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I guess that's exactly where I was headed. I trust results from someplace like NASA and you don't for the reason that (I think) you gave. Fair enough.
PackFansXL
dogplasma said:

I guess your point is that NASA isn't apolitical? They're a government funded agency so they certainly see priorities shift with each administration. But that doesn't mean the results that come from the missions they run are predetermined or purely political. I get the argument, but that doesn't give much credit to the majority of scientists or the scientific process. But that's also not really where I was headed.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I guess that's exactly where I was headed. I trust results from someplace like NASA and you don't for the reason that (I think) you gave. Fair enough.
I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with NASA's assessment. I just wanted to point out they are no longer apolitical.
Daviewolf83
Daviewolf83
Interesting article by Michael Shellenberger on the push for renewables and the Green New Deal. Bottom line, a lot of the zealots pushing for a complete conversion to renewables for energy production are anti-industrialists and anti-capitalists. They believe an all natural approach to the world's energy production is the best approach, even if their solution is more harmful than nuclear power and damaging to the environment than nuclear energy.

The Real Reason They Hate Nuclear Is Because It Means We Don't Need Renewables
Steve Videtich
They only care that it's not fossil fields, period.
PackFansXL
Daviewolf83 said:

Interesting article by Michael Shellenberger on the push for renewables and the Green New Deal. Bottom line, a lot of the zealots pushing for a complete conversion to renewables for energy production are anti-industrialists and anti-capitalists. They believe an all natural approach to the world's energy production is the best approach, even if their solution is more harmful than nuclear power and damaging to the environment than nuclear energy.

The Real Reason They Hate Nuclear Is Because It Means We Don't Need Renewables
That's a fantastic article. Sometime this year, I stumbled across this notion that clean and reliable energy was perceived as bad by some in the political spectrum but did not follow it back to the source. This article does a good job of taking us back to the political goals of many socialists thereby revealing our true enemies in the fight for clean and reliable energy. Thanks for posting this link, Davie!!
dogplasma
That is a good article. WInd and solar are great longer term goals, but they won't get us what we need in the shorter term. Duke is proposing to build a very modest amount of new nuclear capacity in NC or SC (I think) by 2035 along with new wind, solar, pumped storage, and even gas turbines to replace existing coal. Not sure how new gas helps reduce carbon output (maybe scrubbed somehow?). But they are also extending the lives of existing nukes.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

That is a good article. WInd and solar are great longer term goals, but they won't get us what we need in the shorter term. Duke is proposing to build a very modest amount of new nuclear capacity in NC or SC (I think) by 2035 along with new wind, solar, pumped storage, and even gas turbines to replace existing coal. Not sure how new gas helps reduce carbon output (maybe scrubbed somehow?). But they are also extending the lives of existing nukes.
Gas is much cleaner than coal from a carbon and air quality standpoint, so converting coal to gas reduces carbon emissions. An even better approach is to convert coal plants to nuclear plants. It is a less expensive approach to converting to nuclear than it is to build an entire nuclear plant.
dogplasma
I think they do build a whole new nuclear plant but they use the location of the old coal plant. I hadn't heard of that before but I can see how that would eliminate having to find the site for the new nuke plant.
Daviewolf83
dogplasma said:

I think they do build a whole new nuclear plant but they use the location of the old coal plant. I hadn't heard of that before but I can see how that would eliminate having to find the site for the new nuke plant.
According to a report, approximately 80% of coal plants could host a nuclear plant and the conversion of the plants can reduce capital costs of a nuclear plant by 15-35%. This is from the US Department of Energy.

Here's a link to the report:

Investigating Benefits and Challenges of Converting Retiring Coal Plants into Nuclear Plants
BBW12OG
No ice age, the rain forests are still here, the ozone layer is still here, the glaciers are still here the Great Barrier Reef is bigger than in the last 150 years.

But yet, we only have 12 years to live unless we all buy electric vehicles. Wonder who is getting rich off of electric vehicles?

Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
Daviewolf83
BBW12OG said:

No ice age, the rain forests are still here, the ozone layer is still here, the glaciers are still here the Great Barrier Reef is bigger than in the last 150 years.

But yet, we only have 12 years to live unless we all buy electric vehicles. Wonder who is getting rich off of electric vehicles?

Agree. Lots of politicians and other government officials stand to profit on the government mandates and funding of the Green New Deal initiatives. If people are curious, they should do some google searching on "Blackrock investments".

The bottom line for me is this - in the history of the civilization, transitions from one energy source to another energy source have been from higher cost and less efficient sources to lower cost and more efficient sources. The transition to "green energy" breaks this pattern and when something like this happens, I like to "follow the money."
Daviewolf83
We are a nation who routinely elects idiots to Congress, as evidenced by this video. Hats off to Jamie Dimon for stating the obvious. Stopping investment in fossil fuels "would be the road to hell for America."

GuerrillaPack
https://instagr.am/p/Ci1_QqwNjJr

This is what is wrong with commie libtards. They live in places that are destroyed by the communist Leftists who run their government and society, and then they project those problems onto everyone else. They live in hellhole cities in which crime is terrible, and the environment is being destroyed. They live among Leftists who are the true racists and constantly obsessed on race - advocating for affirmative action, critical race theory, and demonizing white people. But they then perform mental gymnastics, and turn around and blame those "evil right-wing fascist rednecks" for being "racist" and "violent" and "destroying the environment".

They get to see mobs of Antifa and BLM burning down buildings and practicing true domestic terrorism in order to achieve their political goals. But then they turn around and falsely blame peaceful right-wing protesters as "domestic terrorism worse than than 9/11". The Leftist-run hellholes ban law-abiding citizens from being able to own firearms, and so then the only people with guns are street thugs and criminals, and they think that "only bad people own guns". Communist utopia cities like San Fran are now not even prosecuting thieves and making it "legal" to steal from businesses, and so stores are being looted and businesses are packing up and moving out of the inner cities.

Why don't these people wake up and realize that it is the communist Leftist policies which are making the world a hellhole? Their policies create poverty, crime, a lower standard of living, suffering and misery, and a morally decaying society. Not "the patriarchy" and "cis white heterosexual males". Not those "backward" conservatives clinging to their Bibles.
dogplasma
That's interesting, thanks. I wonder if Duke is considering that. Probably not right away since they'll be retiring coal plants in parallel with bringing in a new nuke plant, but maybe down the road.

They're hanging on to the last nuke plant in CA after all. Turns out the switch to green is a slower process than they thought it would be. Similar thing may happen in MI.
Werewolf

JUST IN - First nuclear reactor in Belgium will be shut down today despite high power prices due to a law on nuclear phase-out.

This was in part an agreement to appease the Green parties in government who have been noteworthy for their long-standing opposition to nuclear power, according to the Brussel Times.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/294161/doel-3-shutdown-confirmed-for-friday-despite-politicians-pleas

@disclosetv
Daviewolf83
Climate activists have to lie to make their story work, as evidenced by this video. Michael Shellenberger does a really good job at the end of the video refuting their lies and laying out the issues with a reliance on renewables.

PackFansXL
Quote:

dogplasma said:
No, I don't. I didn't realize Canada received hurricane force winds that often. I thought they normally dissipated before getting that far north.

Here's a drone video from inside Fiona:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/ocean-surfing-drone-sends-back-eerie-video-from-inside-hurricane-fiona/
That cnet.com site appears to be very bought in to anthropogenic causes for global warming. Notice the wording transition from the Nature journal paper to the cnet.com restatement as shown below. BTW, Nature is on record with an official position refusing to publish papers with which their editors disagree.
Quote:

Quote:
The 2020 North Atlantic hurricane season was one of the most active on record

Quote:

Quote:
The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season was the most active on record, with 30 named storms and 11 of those making landfall. A study published in the most recent issue of Nature Communications finds that anthropogenic climate change (change defined by humans' impact) increased hourly rainfall amounts during the season by up to 10%.
It is interesting that wind velocity may be replaced in favor of total rainfall as a means of measuring storm intensity. It seems that total rainfall is highly subjective to the rate at which a hurricane moves laterally as opposed to rotational velocity. One can interpret the horrendous rainfall totals dumped on Houston a few years back as indicating a much more intense storm, but that storm just stopped moving after it made landfall over Houston and it deposited over 40 inches of rain in a two day period.

I believe it is important to keep an open mind regarding AGW because we have such a small observational window to infer trends of our planet. There are definitely some interesting methods taken to try to gather insight about very long trends and some of those have yielded plausible analysis indicating GW has occurred. The A component of AGW is a bit more murky for me and with the purity of "science" no longer ensured, it makes drawing confident conclusions much more challenging.

ETA: This isn't meant to create an argument with plasma. It's just an observation about the commitment to the AGW narrative in some circles.
BBW12OG
Wonder why this isn't on MSM channels???

Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

- Thomas Jefferson
Oldsouljer
Werewolf said:

JUST IN - First nuclear reactor in Belgium will be shut down today despite high power prices due to a law on nuclear phase-out.

This was in part an agreement to appease the Green parties in government who have been noteworthy for their long-standing opposition to nuclear power, according to the Brussel Times.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/294161/doel-3-shutdown-confirmed-for-friday-despite-politicians-pleas

@disclosetv
Italians finally put some realists in charge, hopefully that common sense will spread northward.
Daviewolf83
In news from one of NC's neighboring states, an approved solar project is deforesting 3500 acres of trees to put in a solar farm. I will go back to what I stated previously - you should NEVER remove trees to put in a solar farm. If you approve a project like this, it proves you do not care about the environment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.