Systemic, institutionalized, and codified racism and discrimination

52,719 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Civilized
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pacfanweb said:

How to break the cycle:

My wife's family:

As poor as any family in America, is how she grew up. Alcoholic, no-working dad. Neglectful mom.

4 kids.

Brother went to the army, then worked in factories, did okay. Broke the cycle.

Oldest sis, army, worked in factories, married a black deadbeat druggie who was useless to his family. 3 girls. She lived in absolute squalor, but provided everything they needed, and sacrificed everything for them.
2 oldest grew up, went to college, married, kids, in good shape. Broke the cycle.

Next sis, married local loser. 3 boys with cognitive issues. 2 fairly functional, but worthless. She finally got straightened out in her 40's, doing better now. Kind of broke the cycle, but took awhile.

Wife: Youngest. Mother did absolutely nothing for her. She excelled in school, hung out with kids that had whole families, National Honors Society, marching band, etc. Put herself through college. Broke the cycle.

It CAN be done. Just need the work ethic.

Your wife's family did well making better lives for themselves.

But don't confuse being poor, or struggling, with generational poverty. Not at all the same. In your judgment was your wife's family experiencing being poor, or generational poverty?

Partially to your point, I would be so supportive of two years of mandatory military service for every able bodied American. Would help so many different aspects of improving outcomes.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

How to break the cycle:

My wife's family:

As poor as any family in America, is how she grew up. Alcoholic, no-working dad. Neglectful mom.

4 kids.

Brother went to the army, then worked in factories, did okay. Broke the cycle.

Oldest sis, army, worked in factories, married a black deadbeat druggie who was useless to his family. 3 girls. She lived in absolute squalor, but provided everything they needed, and sacrificed everything for them.
2 oldest grew up, went to college, married, kids, in good shape. Broke the cycle.

Next sis, married local loser. 3 boys with cognitive issues. 2 fairly functional, but worthless. She finally got straightened out in her 40's, doing better now. Kind of broke the cycle, but took awhile.

Wife: Youngest. Mother did absolutely nothing for her. She excelled in school, hung out with kids that had whole families, National Honors Society, marching band, etc. Put herself through college. Broke the cycle.

It CAN be done. Just need the work ethic.

Your wife's family did well making better lives for themselves.

But don't confuse being poor, or struggling, with generational poverty. Not at all the same. In your judgment was your wife's family experiencing being poor, or generational poverty?

Partially to your point, I would be so supportive of two years of mandatory military service for every able bodied American. Would help so many different aspects of improving outcomes.
They had never had money. Always poor, dad's family was poor going way back. "wrong side of the tracks" type of folks.

Agree about the military service.
cowboypack02
acslater1344 said:

Phew boy we got some proud racists in our ranks. Any way to shut this thread down?
I kinda feel like its disingenuous to say that we have some "proud racist" in our ranks. Thinking that is why we have a lot of the issues that we do in today's society.

Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't make them racist. It just doesn't and unfortunately if that is your mindset you will never be able to come to the table and have a realistic discussion about any of the issues plaguing society today.

• Feel like the police treat minorities different than white people? If you refuse to look at the underlying data and just assume that its because law enforcement is racist you'll never solve for your issues.
  • Confederate statues and names of buildings are racist and you want them taken down? If you start with the premise that whoever wants to keep them there is racist they you'll never be able to work out some time of amicable solution.
  • Feel like society doesn't care about minority issues? If you call someone a racist for having a different opinion then your never get people who want to work with you to help solve for any perceived issues.

Until you get over demonizing everyone that disagrees with you by calling them names and wanting to cancel them and everything that they have ever done no one is going to be willing to work with you. Until you come back to the table with the willingness to actually listen to what other people think and drop the entire thought process of believing that they are wrong just because they don't follow lock step with whatever you believe then we will continue down this path until we get another civil war in this country.

For example look at the CPI guy who said that we need to solve for black on black crime. Dude had sponsorships cancelled all over the place because be dared to have a different thought process on the issues in the black community. The fact is that 93% of black people are killed by other black folks. That is a huge issue and one definitely work exploring, but we aren't allowed to discuss that. Why not? Because it offends someone's sensibilities? Thats not it at all...its because it doesn't fit the narrative.

If you can't provide examples of all this racist on the board you need to grow up....
cowboypack02
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

You can call it whatever you want to call it. White privilege, majority privilege, whatever appeases you're white guilt. You certainly won't call for personal accountability.... unless it's white people being accountable for people that lived 200 years before them.

So now we're too far away from slavery to be accountable. Should be water under the bridge, right? Cool.

So, when were white people accountable for slavery?

When did they really, truly own it and what did they do to be 'accountable'?

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

If you say we're way past that now, then it must have been sometime much earlier. So point to that. Let's start there.

Avoid and deflect. Also, love how you're all in on white people having to be accountable for things other white people did. Would be racist if we did that with, let's say, black people. White guilt must keep you up at night.

Who should be primarily accountable for things white people did? Black people? Natives? LOLOLOL. Somebody's got to be accountable. Or are you saying nobody should be? Black Americans and Native Americans can do their part but policy changes require white support since we're the majority.

That's not racist it's just common sense. It's a numbers game.

I don't feel guilt, I just know whites are in the unique position to change the way things are done.

It's not racist? Lol. White people should be accountable for things they had nothing to do with simply because they're white. And that's not racist? Lol.

While you're doing your common sense numbers game, do violent crime and murder. Let's get things cleaned up there using common sense numbers to determine accountability.

You clearly don't feel white guilt. You just feel white people should be responsible for things they did not do. Totally not white guilt....
I bear no guilt for the sins of my forefathers. That doesnt mean I cant assess the landscape of America today and conclude that in many parts of the country, black Americans have not had the same opportunity or experience that I've had as a white man.
Economic and educational outcomes are in fact largely correlated with those of your parent. So while don't have any guilt for my ancestors actions, I can recognize that poor black Americans are still feeling residual effects of policies that have been ended.
Even now, access to education is not equal. Treatment in the justice system is not equal. I don't support reparations, but I support specific actions to address problems TODAY. Police reform being the focus right now
I agree with most of that, except the education part.

In what way is "access to education not equal"? I'd say black's "access to education" is BETTER.

They go to the same schools K-12. So equal access there.

If they qualify for a 4 year college, there are far more options in the way of scholarships and grants for them, than for a white person...simply based on race.

I suspect it's the same for a CC.

So how is their 'access to education' not equal?

I still say their "attitude towards education" is what the real problem is.

But yeah, in the past, there's no doubt that their opportunity wasn't the same....I just don't believe that's the case now. I think THEY are the primary ones holding themselves back at this point, and it's been that way for a good long while, now.

Have you looked at any studies on economically and racially segregated schools, or inter-generational economic mobility? Or are you just saying what you say about educational and economic opportunities because you think, want, or 'suspect' them to be true?

Find some studies and come back to the conversation with data.

They don't 'go to the same schools'.

72% of black students attend high-poverty schools.

31% of white students do.

White students perform between 2 and 4 grade levels ahead of their black peers in major cities in the US.

Look at edopportunity.org and

https://www.epi.org/publication/schools-are-still-segregated-and-black-children-are-paying-a-price/

Are they the same schools?

Which schools have more resources, more role models, better teachers, fewer disciplinary distractions, more successful peer groups, more challenging and varied programs, less food instability, less housing instability, etc.?

Stop starting with a conclusion and then just rationalizing that the facts support your conclusion. Do some research.
If this is true then you most definitely support the republican stance of school choice, as opposed to the the democrats and teachers unions who disagree with it....right?
IseWolf22
cowboypack02 said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

You can call it whatever you want to call it. White privilege, majority privilege, whatever appeases you're white guilt. You certainly won't call for personal accountability.... unless it's white people being accountable for people that lived 200 years before them.

So now we're too far away from slavery to be accountable. Should be water under the bridge, right? Cool.

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

If you say we're way past that now, then it must have been sometime much earlier. So point to that. Let's start there.

Avoid and deflect. Also, love how you're all in on white people having to be accountable for things other white people did. Would be racist if we did that with, let's say, black people. White guilt must keep you up at night.

Who should be primarily accountable for things white people did? Black people? Natives? LOLOLOL. Somebody's got to be accountable. Or are you saying nobody should be? Black Americans and Native Americans can do their part but policy changes require white support since we're the majority.

I don't feel guilt, I just know whites are in the unique position to change the way things are done.

It's not racist? Lol. White people should be accountable for things they had nothing to do with simply because they're white. And that's not racist? Lol.

While you're doing your common sense numbers game, do violent crime and murder. Let's get things cleaned up there using common sense numbers to determine accountability.

You clearly don't feel white guilt. You just feel white people should be responsible for things they did not do. Totally not white guilt....
I bear no guilt for the sins of my forefathers. That doesnt mean I cant assess the landscape of America today and conclude that in many parts of the country, black Americans have not had the same opportunity or experience that I've had as a white man.
Economic and educational outcomes are in fact largely correlated with those of your parent. So while don't have any guilt for my ancestors actions, I can recognize that poor black Americans are still feeling residual effects of policies that have been ended.
Even now, access to education is not equal. Treatment in the justice system is not equal. I don't support reparations, but I support specific actions to address problems TODAY. Police reform being the focus right now

In what way is "access to education not equal"? I'd say black's "access to education" is BETTER.

If they qualify for a 4 year college, there are far more options in the way of scholarships and grants for them, than for a white person...simply based on race.

But yeah, in the past, there's no doubt that their opportunity wasn't the same....I just don't believe that's the case now. I think THEY are the primary ones holding themselves back at this point, and it's been that way for a good long while, now.

Have you looked at any studies on economically and racially segregated schools, or inter-generational economic mobility? Or are you just saying what you say about educational and economic opportunities because you think, want, or 'suspect' them to be true?

White students perform between 2 and 4 grade levels ahead of their black peers in major cities in the US.

https://www.epi.org/publication/schools-are-still-segregated-and-black-children-are-paying-a-price/

Which schools have more resources, more role models, better teachers, fewer disciplinary distractions, more successful peer groups, more challenging and varied programs, less food instability, less housing instability, etc.?

Stop starting with a conclusion and then just rationalizing that the facts support your conclusion. Do some research.
If this is true then you most definitely support the republican stance of school choice, as opposed to the the democrats and teachers unions who disagree with it....right?
I do! School choice is a win win for families
SupplyChainPack
IseWolf22 said:

cowboypack02 said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

I do! School choice is a win win for families

School choice is a game changer.
Civilized
New study by NC Criminal Justice Analysis Center corroborates Baumgartner's, the UNC prof's, previous research on the topic.

In an overlapping and expanded data set containing 25 million stops, Black drivers are shown to be stopped at 2x the rates of whites, a nearly identical rate to the rate revealed by Baumgartner's earlier study that contained 20 million stops.

Additional training for cops that helps them recognize and reduce implicit biases and profiling in their policing is a must.

https://www.wral.com/study-shows-black-drivers-are-twice-as-likely-to-be-stopped-by-law-enforcement/19200071/

Interesting that NC was a national leader and the first state to require the collection of traffic stop data, beginning in 1999.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.