Systemic, institutionalized, and codified racism and discrimination

53,116 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Civilized
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cowboypack02 said:

lumberpack5 said:

If I beat the **** out of your daughter for 20 years and she finally divorces me, what do I owe her for 20 years worth of beatings? Nothing? Is she whole after my 20 years of abuse.

Stopping something is not the same as righting a wrong.
Someone beats the hell out of my daughter i'll put a 308 between their eyes and sleep very well at night.
You're sort of illustrating the point then . Someone ****s on your for onwards of 30, 40, 50+ years, you're going to have resentment and lash out.
Pacfanweb
Bas2020 said:

Funny thing to me about all this after talking to a black friend of mine is how much racial discrimination there goes on in the black community between light and dark skin african americans. Darker skinned blacks are looked down upon by other blacks. Blacks look down on mexicans generally. There is often racism between what essentially is the same minority group. Everybody is a freaking hypocrite. This "utopia" where no black man is gonna be judged walking down the street at 3am or a muslim at an airport, or an angry white teenager on a high school campus..... they are all stereotypes.. that largely exist for a reason. Every human feels these emotions. You think Nancy Pelosi grasps her purse extra tight at midnight if she is on a dark street in New York? Everybody can convince themselves that they are somehow immune to all this but your not. White women judge other white women based on clothes, hair etc. I could go on and on ....

Lots of truth.

Fact is, most people in America that call themselves "black", or "African-American"... If they went to Africa? They'd be called "colored".
And looked down on by both whites and blacks.
Because if you're not jet black, you're not full blooded African, you are mixed with something else, somewhere down the line
cowboypack02
statefan91 said:

cowboypack02 said:

lumberpack5 said:

If I beat the **** out of your daughter for 20 years and she finally divorces me, what do I owe her for 20 years worth of beatings? Nothing? Is she whole after my 20 years of abuse.

Stopping something is not the same as righting a wrong.
Someone beats the hell out of my daughter i'll put a 308 between their eyes and sleep very well at night.
You're sort of illustrating the point then . Someone ****s on your for onwards of 30, 40, 50+ years, you're going to have resentment and lash out.
lol...i'm not gonna let it run out for years.....it'll only happen once
statefan91
Ha - fair enough - but you have the power to do so, whereas they haven't had power to make changes through means like legislation
910wolf
910wolf said:

Civilized, I want to hear your take specifically addressing some points others have made that seem to have been lost in your replies. Apologies if you did respond to this specifically and I missed it.

In my opinion, I think the family life and upbringing plays a HUGE role in someone's future. The stats of African American's being raised in one parent households with no father figure is very alarming to me, along with not taking education seriously and dropping out of high school and no desire to attend college.

I know and believe there are instances of racial injustices out there, so please don't go on a tangent with that. But how big of a role do you believe these apparent lack of family morals play in an individual's future, and how do you think those trends can be changed?
Even though the conversation has somewhat changed, bumping to try and get an answer.
Pacfanweb
910wolf said:

910wolf said:

Civilized, I want to hear your take specifically addressing some points others have made that seem to have been lost in your replies. Apologies if you did respond to this specifically and I missed it.

In my opinion, I think the family life and upbringing plays a HUGE role in someone's future. The stats of African American's being raised in one parent households with no father figure is very alarming to me, along with not taking education seriously and dropping out of high school and no desire to attend college.

I know and believe there are instances of racial injustices out there, so please don't go on a tangent with that. But how big of a role do you believe these apparent lack of family morals play in an individual's future, and how do you think those trends can be changed?
Even though the conversation has somewhat changed, bumping to try and get an answer.

Would love to hear an answer for this myself, as I have mentioned it multiple times, and IMO this is one of the huge obstacles to blacks bettering their education and therefore their ultimate outcomes as adults.
hereforguerrilla
Pacfanweb said:

910wolf said:

910wolf said:

Would love to hear an answer for this myself, as I have mentioned it multiple times, and IMO this is one of the huge obstacles to blacks bettering their education and therefore their ultimate outcomes as adults.

The number of single parent households is high. I guess I don't understand what you want him to say here. One in four white kids is in a single parent home. What do we do about that (I'm not being snarky)? Really curious what types of solutions you're looking for. https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431
hereforguerrilla
Pacfanweb said:

910wolf said:

910wolf said:

Dropout rates are 6.5 percent for blacks vs 4.3 for whites so not a huge difference. I imagine income is the greatest indicator not race or single parent:
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16
GuerrillaPack
hereforguerrilla said:

That's the thing guerrilla, I'm looking it up. I'm just not finding the cities and states that have "ALREADY banned whole classes of firearms (eg, handguns, semi-automatic rifles)." Making sure I quote you directly since you keep accusing me of intellectual dishonesty and semantic games. So 50+ instances of Leftist propaganda every day but you cite one very weak example and Democrat controlled cities and states banning guns but you can't cite one example. DemonRats...lol. How clever. Glad you dropped the strange baby talk "rayciss" nonsense.
Lmfao. The following states have "assault weapons" bans: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapons_legislation_in_the_United_States

fords.org/gun-laws/state-law/50-state-summaries/assault-weapons-state-by-state/

What lies are you going to tell me next? That the sun doesn't come up each morning? That unborn children "are not human beings"? Oh, wait.

How stupid do you Lefties think people are?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
hereforguerrilla
GuerrillaPack said:

hereforguerrilla said:

That's the thing guerrilla, I'm looking it up. I'm just not finding the cities and states that have "ALREADY banned whole classes of firearms (eg, handguns, semi-automatic rifles)." Making sure I quote you directly since you keep accusing me of intellectual dishonesty and semantic games. So 50+ instances of Leftist propaganda every day but you cite one very weak example and Democrat controlled cities and states banning guns but you can't cite one example. DemonRats...lol. How clever. Glad you dropped the strange baby talk "rayciss" nonsense.
Lmfao. The following states have "assault weapons" bans: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapons_legislation_in_the_United_States

fords.org/gun-laws/state-law/50-state-summaries/assault-weapons-state-by-state/

What lies are you going to tell me next? That the sun doesn't come up each morning? That unborn children "are not human beings"? Oh, wait.

How stupid do you Lefties think people are?
First of all, I'm pro-life. Secondly, you're upset because of assault weapon bans? Most of which were enacted after kids were mowed down by assault weapons.

"A 2019 DiMaggio et al. study looked at mass shooting data for 1981 to 2017 and found that assault rifles accounted for 430 or 85.8% of the total 501 mass-shooting fatalities reported in 44 mass-shooting incidents, and that mass-shooting fatalities were 70% less likely to occur during the federal ban period.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban#cite_note-Di2019-40][40][/url]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapons_legislation_in_the_United_States#:~:text=Three%20U.S.%20states%20passed%20assault,Maryland%2C%20Massachusetts%20and%20New%20York.
Civilized
910wolf said:

Yeah man. Childhood instability is a huge, huge determinant of future success or strife in life.

Food insecurity and housing insecurity are probably the two most severe and commonly-discussed types of instability but family instability plays a huge part. Two parent households have much better outcomes on average. Divide and conquer, right? More time and resources to spend on each kid, more financial stability, a little more in the savings account, on and on. It's normally quite advantageous.

The thing is, you can't just pat black Americans on the butt and say, "Now y'all run along, stay married, and make sure your kids value education and go to college!" and expect that to be effectual. It would clearly be beneficial, but that's not a plan of action.

If you've been married, think back to the hardest times of your marriage. Now imagine layering on top of that significant financial stress, job instability, lack of family wealth to fall back on (and wealth doesn't mean being rich, just having some resources on the sidelines), lack of eduction yourself, very young children in the house, etc. You start drowning before you realize you're in trouble.

That's how the cycle of poverty keeps pulling you back in. It's like getting stuck in a rip current and then desperately to keep your head above water while fighting to get back to shore. There are so many forces pulling you under from a very young age.

You've got to get to kids early and often with resources and opportunities to improve those situations. You've got to get them while they're still playing in the tidal pools...once they wade out into the breakers it gets so much harder.
Civilized
Bas2020 said:

Funny thing to me about all this after talking to a black friend of mine is how much racial discrimination there goes on in the black community between light and dark skin african americans. Darker skinned blacks are looked down upon by other blacks. Blacks look down on mexicans generally. There is often racism between what essentially is the same minority group. Everybody is a freaking hypocrite. This "utopia" where no black man is gonna be judged walking down the street at 3am or a muslim at an airport, or an angry white teenager on a high school campus..... they are all stereotypes.. that largely exist for a reason. Every human feels these emotions. You think Nancy Pelosi grasps her purse extra tight at midnight if she is on a dark street in New York? Everybody can convince themselves that they are somehow immune to all this but your not. White women judge other white women based on clothes, hair etc. I could go on and on ....

Completely agree, 100%. Couldn't agree more.

Happens commonly in India and southeast Asia too. Darker skin gets discriminated against; paler, more Euro-looking skin gets favored.

...And what's crazy is that white Americans act like it DOESN'T happen here! LOL!

Which is it? It happens in Africa, India, and southeast Asia. And it happens here too.
Pacfanweb
hereforguerrilla said:

Pacfanweb said:

910wolf said:

910wolf said:

Dropout rates are 6.5 percent for blacks vs 4.3 for whites so not a huge difference. I imagine income is the greatest indicator not race or single parent:
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=16

Agreed, but add it all together and it's not a recipe for success
Pacfanweb
hereforguerrilla said:

Pacfanweb said:

910wolf said:

910wolf said:

The number of single parent households is high. I guess I don't understand what you want him to say here. One in four white kids is in a single parent home. What do we do about that (I'm not being snarky)? Really curious what types of solutions you're looking for. https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/tables/107-children-in-single-parent-families-by-race#detailed/1/any/false/37,871,870,573,869,36,868,867,133,38/10,11,9,12,1,185,13/432,431

24% vs 67% according to your link.
43% difference.

Both need work, but one needs a LOT more.
Civilized
packgrad said:

So, deflecting is racist?

Define racist.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

So, deflecting is racist?

Define racist.

Define white Americans.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Some of you could benefit from doing a ride along with a police officer. The ignorance about how they do their jobs is astounding.
Civilized
GuerrillaPack said:

Civilized said:

Because there is a long and distinguished history of black people in this country being mistreated because they are black. There is no such similar history with white people.

YES, there is a long and distinguished history of white people being mistreated. In fact, it's CURRENT history, and ongoing injustice. It's called "affirmative action" -- mandated by law discrimination against white people in education, employment, contracts, etc.

The mistreatment of blacks is history. It's over.

Women can vote.

Discriminating against women in the workplace because of their sex is illegal.

Women should be paid the same wage for doing the same job.

We're not supposed to characterize powerful women as *****es or man-eaters when we characterize aggressive men in the workplace as assertive, ambitious, and hard-working.

Sexually abusing women is illegal.

Women were never enslaved the same way as blacks.

Is misogyny, and our mistreatment of women over?
packgrad
Remember civilized is the guy that has a list, or quota, for when white people are "good" to talk about race. Lol

"So many white people think you're good on topics regarding race, as long as you don't hate black people, or you have a couple of black friends. That's a realllllly low bar."

One wonders, do other races have "bars" they have to reach before Great White heroes determine they are "good" to talk about race?
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Is Biden saying he will pick a black woman as VP racist, sexist, or neither? Just asking for sake of this amazingly entertaining thread.

Neither.

He knows there are plenty of fully qualified candidates for VP that are black women, and he's going to proudly choose one because America needs more fully qualified minorities and people of color in positions of power. It's time.

We've had 48 Vice Presidents. All have been white men. Weird coincidence, huh? Must not have been any qualified minorities or women since 1789!
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Now, again...I'll agree with you, they have probably gotten accustomed to going on these "fishing expeditions" with black people entirely too often, and that needs to be reigned in....but the problem I and others have with all the outcry is....the police are very often correct in their suspicions. And THAT needs to be addressed, too. You can't just demand the police get their proverbial crap together and not address the other side of the equation as well. And I see zero outcry about that.

We agree on one thing, mark it down dude! Let's remember this when we meet each other at a tailgate!

I don't know what you mean by 'the police are very often correct tin their suspicions' to justify pulling black drivers at such a high rate. White drivers produce contraband at a comparable rate to blacks (actually a touch higher).
Civilized
lumberpack5 said:

In reality it's a little of everything. It's too bad Condi Rice is gay otherwise she might prez instead of Trump.

I feel late to the party. I didn't know that. If she still has the appetite for a run, I doubt her sexuality would badly hamstring her in 2024. If Trump wins in '20 I think Mayor Pete makes a big push in '24 if he can figure out how to expand his reach into the southeast and grab the black vote.

Rice is very sensible and sharp. I always liked how she focused on boots-on-the-ground relationships in foreign countries and regions as the first step in diplomacy.
Civilized
metcalfmafia said:

hereforguerrilla said:

Agreed, all I want is to ensure that the small minority of bad officers know that there is always transparency and accountability--so they will either see themselves out or see themselves to jail.
Preach! Why are we even able to turn body cameras off anyway?

Right?? Why even have them if you can just cut them off??

I want cops plowing through 1 TB SD cards like it's their job.
RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Is Biden saying he will pick a black woman as VP racist, sexist, or neither? Just asking for sake of this amazingly entertaining thread.

Neither.

He knows there are plenty of fully qualified candidates for VP that are black women, and he's going to proudly choose one because America needs more fully qualified minorities and people of color in positions of power. It's time.

We've had 48 Vice Presidents. All have been white men. Weird coincidence, huh? Must not have been any qualified minorities or women since 1789!

Ok. I expected that answer from you based on the fact that this entire thread, you've basically ignored anything you didn't agree with. So I will ask it this way. A company is hiring and their ceo is a white male. He makes it known in the hiring process he isn't hiring anyone that isn't a white male. Is he a racist, sexist, neither? Biden wants to be the ceo of America and has made it clear he isn't interested in any other people except a certain race and sex. Again, I expected you to answer the way you did. It would be to hard for you to a really admit that if the roles were reversed, you would be screaming from the rooftops that is was racist and wrong. Since it favors what you believe in and think is right, it is fine by you.

Much like this thread has been since it started, it doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it only matters if the naritive is what someone wants it to be. That isn't a statement towards you. It is an observation of what this thread has been. You, along with a few others, think you're the only ones right, no matter how you see it from whatever side you're on. Therefore, nothing is ever accomplished. Again, if the roles were reversed, you would be telling at the top of your lungs how wrong it is. Instead, you are here saying it is ok.
acslater1344
That works both ways, though. He has his opinions, you have yours.
packgrad
Because black lives matter. Think it's about time we bring back the billy clubs and water cannons for these animals.

Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Civilized said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Neither.

Ok. I expected that answer from you based on the fact that this entire thread, you've basically ignored anything you didn't agree with. So I will ask it this way. A company is hiring and their ceo is a white male. He makes it known in the hiring process he isn't hiring anyone that isn't a white male. Is he a racist, sexist, neither? Biden wants to be the ceo of America and has made it clear he isn't interested in any other people except a certain race and sex. Again, I expected you to answer the way you did. It would be to hard for you to a really admit that if the roles were reversed, you would be screaming from the rooftops that is was racist and wrong. Since it favors what you believe in and think is right, it is fine by you.

Much like this thread has been since it started, it doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, it only matters if the naritive is what someone wants it to be. That isn't a statement towards you. It is an observation of what this thread has been. You, along with a few others, think you're the only ones right, no matter how you see it from whatever side you're on. Therefore, nothing is ever accomplished. Again, if the roles were reversed, you would be telling at the top of your lungs how wrong it is. Instead, you are here saying it is ok.

Your analogy doesn't work.

Biden isn't hiring a staff member. He's choosing a partner to help him win a popularity contest.

That's a critical distinction.

packgrad
Please. Biden is making a hire based solely on race and sex. You're just fine with that type of discrimination. At least be honest.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Please. Biden is making a hire based solely on race and sex. You're just fine with that type of discrimination. At least be honest.

I'm 100% fine with it.

Biden's not bound by federal fair hiring practices when selecting his running mate because he's not making a hire. He's making a team and asking the American people to hire the two of them as a team.

The closest work analogy you could probably come up with is an older white guy is starting up a new family law firm. He needs a partner, and wants that partner to facilitate optimum market penetration with younger women and minority clients.

As such, he focuses his search for a business partner on younger, highly qualified black women attorney colleagues knowing that her contacts and their synergy will allow their new firm to capture more of the market than a homogeneous approach would.

I'm 100% fine with Biden's approach for the same reason I'm 100% fine with the example business owner's approach.

They're not hiring employees, they're choosing partners and have infinite latitude to discriminate in that decision however they see fit based on the goals of their presidency or business.

They are not allowed to discriminate when hiring staff, for obvious and well-justified reasons.

packgrad
Got it. So you can spin a web that makes discrimination ok. So long as it benefits your acceptable groups.
cowboypack02
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

I'm 100% fine with it.

Biden's not bound by federal fair hiring practices when selecting his running mate because he's not making a hire. He's making a team and asking the American people to hire the two of them as a team.

The closest work analogy you could probably come up with is an older white guy is starting up a new family law firm. He needs a partner, and wants that partner to facilitate optimum market penetration with younger women and minority clients.

As such, he focuses his search for a business partner on younger, highly qualified black women attorney colleagues knowing that her contacts and their synergy will allow their new firm to capture more of the market than a homogeneous approach would.

I'm 100% fine with Biden's approach for the same reason I'm 100% fine with the example business owner's approach.

They're not hiring employees, they're choosing partners and have infinite latitude to discriminate in that decision however they see fit based on the goals of their presidency or business.

They are not allowed to discriminate when hiring staff, for obvious and well-justified reasons.

So your ok with racism as long as you support that person's political party? Gotcha.

RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Civilized said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Neither.

Your analogy doesn't work.

Biden isn't hiring a staff member. He's choosing a partner to help him win a popularity contest.

That's a critical distinction.

So there is selective racism based on who and what the situation is then? Basically, it only matters in certain situations. My analogy works just fine it's just that it doesn't fit what you want it to fit so therefore, you try to dismiss it. You've posted in this thread the same way GP post in the flat earth thread like the only thing that matters is what you want to matter. Racism is racism no matter the situation. The example I give is just as much racist and what Biden has clearly stated he is doing.
packgrad
Democrats in California also want discrimination to be legal. Too many Asian kids getting into the schools there apparently.

I guess "Implement 'blind charging' in prosecutors' offices nationwide such that prosecutors aren't aware of the accused's race when deciding whether to bring charges." concepts can only apply in certain situations only if they benefit accepted groups.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Got it. So you can spin a web that makes discrimination ok. So long as it benefits your acceptable groups.

LOLOLOLOL.

There's no web. It's simple.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW can target a prospective business co-owner that fits any profile we want. Any of us can choose, or not choose to pursue prospective business partners for any reason that suits us.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW cannot discriminate on the basis of race or gender or any of the protected classes when hiring employees for our business.

Do you agree?

packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

LOLOLOLOL.

There's no web. It's simple.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW can target a prospective business co-owner that fits any profile we want. Any of us can choose, or not choose to pursue prospective business partners for any reason that suits us.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW cannot discriminate on the basis of race or gender or any of the protected classes when hiring employees for our business.

Do you agree?

But if any of us announced we were only targeting white males, you would have a fit.

Do you agree?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.