Systemic, institutionalized, and codified racism and discrimination

53,131 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Civilized
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Got it. So you can spin a web that makes discrimination ok. So long as it benefits your acceptable groups.

LOLOLOLOL.

There's no web. It's simple.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW can target a prospective business co-owner that fits any profile we want. Any of us can choose, or not choose to pursue prospective business partners for any reason that suits us.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW cannot discriminate on the basis of race or gender or any of the protected classes when hiring employees for our business.

Do you agree?

But if any of us announced we were only targeting white males, you would have a fit.

Do you agree?

Targeting white males for what?

To be your VP? To be your partner in business? Or to be your employee?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Got it. So you can spin a web that makes discrimination ok. So long as it benefits your acceptable groups.

LOLOLOLOL.

There's no web. It's simple.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW can target a prospective business co-owner that fits any profile we want. Any of us can choose, or not choose to pursue prospective business partners for any reason that suits us.

Me or you or cowboy or RWW cannot discriminate on the basis of race or gender or any of the protected classes when hiring employees for our business.

Do you agree?

But if any of us announced we were only targeting white males, you would have a fit.

Do you agree?

Take your pick. "I am looking for a VP I will only be targeting white males".
"I am looking for a business partner. I will only be targeting white males."
"I am looking to hire employees. I will only be targeting white males."
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

I'd laugh my ass off at #1. You'd sound like David Duke and your campaign would never leave the starting gate.

Don't give a **** about #2. Choose your business partner how you see fit. I can't think of many sound business reasons to specifically target another white guy to be your partner when you're a white guy already, but I don't care how you target a prospective co-owner in your business. Your prerogative.

#3 would be dumb as hell since it's illegal and you'd open yourself up to all sorts of liability for unlawful hiring practices.

The only people confused about this are certain white men. They act aggrieved when Dave Chappelle can make a white person joke without being called racist, and confused about why black people can say the n-word and they can't.

Many white men do get it, and men and women in other races definitely get it. Some white men are still behind the 8-ball on this one though.
packgrad
No, the only people confused by this are the woke.
The Dave Chapelle deflection is inaccurate and racist.
cowboypack02
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

I'd laugh my ass off at #1. You'd sound like David Duke and your campaign would never leave the starting gate.

Don't give a **** about #2. Choose your business partner how you see fit. I can't think of many sound business reasons to specifically target another white guy to be your partner when you're a white guy already, but I don't care how you target a prospective co-owner in your business. Your prerogative.

#3 would be dumb as hell since it's illegal and you'd open yourself up to all sorts of liability for unlawful hiring practices.

The only people confused about this are certain white men. They act aggrieved when Dave Chappelle can make a white person joke without being called racist, and confused about why black people can say the n-word and they can't.

Many white men do get it, and men and women in other races definitely get it. Some white men are still behind the 8-ball on this one though.

Did you stretch before trying to do all those mental gymnastics trying to justify why your textbook racist stance on how it's ok to discriminate against people of a certain skin color?
grandpack1
I cannot believe that I am getting into this discussion. I believe that what we are seeing is a leadership that wants chaos to defeat our president. I hate our two party system but that is a different story. Right now, I am discusted with the democratic party that is trying to generate chaos and division to win an election. This is not the time in my opinion. I am certainly glad that I live in SC cause your governor would drive me nuts. What is he thinking.

To me Racism comes from two places. Ignorance and Hate. We can over time teach the ignorant, although riots and distruction will set that movement back. There will always be hate in the world. Never going to leave. Always has been and always will be. If it were not hate for race, it is hate for the rich, or hate for those less educated or hate for more educated. There are those that hate people that are too heavy. There are also people that just want to hate everyone. That will never change.

Also, you will not get rid of any part of racism until it goes both ways. And when you give equal rights, and honor a race, you honor all races.

Now time to bash what I just said. Have at it. I am gone.
Civilized
cowboypack02 said:

Did you stretch before trying to do all those mental gymnastics trying to justify why your textbook racist stance on how it's ok to discriminate against people of a certain skin color?

You three complaining about poor, discriminated-against white men are like the Yankees complaining to Royals fans about the luxury tax.

I got news for you: the only people that think the Yankees have it rough are the Yankees. They've got every built-in advantage in baseball. History. Prestige. Media market. Location. Attendance. Money. They're not in a position to whine about being discriminated against. None of the other 29 teams in the league give a **** that the Yankees have to pay a huge luxury tax.

The luxury tax doesn't put the Royals in the drivers seat for the pennant every year; it just encourages reasonable competitive balance. It's better for everyone in the league if they truly have a chance to win on a semi-regular basis.

You'd say the Yankees are being discriminated against. I say the league is doing what seems prudent to help facilitate competitive balance.

Fortunately based on changing consumer behaviors, confederate statues coming down, avowed racists having their names removed from buildings, and some aspects of policing and criminal justice finally starting to shift you're starting to see that fewer and fewer people think like you.
RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

cowboypack02 said:

You three complaining about poor, discriminated-against white men are like the Yankees complaining to Royals fans about the luxury tax.

I got news for you: the only people that think the Yankees have it rough are the Yankees. They've got every built-in advantage in the baseball. History. Prestige. Media market. Location. Attendance. Money. They're not in a position to whine about being discriminated against. None of the other 29 teams in the league give a **** that the Yankees have to pay a huge luxury tax.

The luxury tax doesn't put the Royals in the drivers seat for the pennant every year; it just encourages reasonable competitive balance. It's better for everyone in the league if they truly have a chance to win on a semi-regular basis.

You'd say the Yankees are being discriminated against. I say the league is doing what seems prudent to help facilitate competitive balance.

Fortunately based on changing consumer behaviors, confederate statues coming down, avowed racists having their names removed from buildings, and some aspects of policing and criminal justice finally starting to shift you're starting to see that fewer and fewer people think like you.

I assume you included me as "you three." If so, you've got no clue what you're talking about it anything about me for that matter. You said blatant racism was ok if it was something you supported or someone you supported. As for your fewer and fewer people think like me comment. You don't know me, you never will know me and you won't speak for me. You were given a perfect, clear as day, example of racism and you've gone down multiple rabbit holes trying to defend it. Don't go speaking for me or lumping me into any group.

Edited to add. Seeing as you like statue's torn down because of racism, let me know when the founders of the KKK, the Democrat party, are torn down as well.
Civilized
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I assume you included me as "you three." If so, you've got no clue what you're talking about it anything about me for that matter. You said blatant racism was ok if it was something you supported or someone you supported. As for your fewer and fewer people think like me comment. You don't know me, you never will know me and you won't speak for me. You were given a perfect, clear as day, example of racism and you've gone down multiple rabbit holes trying to defend it. Don't go speaking for me or lumping me into any group.

Edited to add. Seeing as you like statue's torn down because of racism, let me know when the founders of the KKK, the Democrat party, are torn down as well.

Where did I say blatant racism was OK?
RunsWithWolves26
Civilized said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Where did I say blatant racism was OK?

You agree with what Biden is doing. It's called racism. Again, don't lump me into a group and as always, continue to avoid everything else said in the response.
DrummerboyWolf
Here is a link to a story and a video of one of the founders of BLM claiming that they are "trained Marxist."

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/video-resurfaces-which-black-lives-matter-founder-says-groups-creators-are-trained
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

cowboypack02 said:

I got news for you: the only people that think the Yankees have it rough are the Yankees. They've got every built-in advantage in baseball. History. Prestige. Media market. Location. Attendance. Money. They're not in a position to whine about being discriminated against. None of the other 29 teams in the league give a **** that the Yankees have to pay a huge luxury tax.

Don't know who "you three" refer to, but regarding the Yankees analogy:

That's like saying all white people are Kennedys, Rockfellers, Vanderbilts, Fords, Carnegies, and Morgans.

Yeah, if you're one of them...or even if you're a step down or two down the ladder, and you're "just" a Hilton....sure, you have all sorts of built-in advantages like you described. History. Prestige. Money.

But the average white, black, Asian, etc....aren't members of that group.

packgrad
Do you really think more and more people agree with your rioters tearing down statues? Lol. You are blinded by partisanship. They are animals and if you're comfortable with them representing your beliefs, I feel sorry for you.
hereforguerrilla
Today as Derrick Eason Jr. was walking to his car a woman drove by and called him the N word. To a kid. Doing nothing but walking to his car, not that any situation ever would justify using that word. But yeah, poor, poor white guys, being held down by the systemic, institutional, codified racism. I mean, I hardly ever see white guys represented in the C-suite or in top positions in the government. Are you guys OK? I mean it must be hard feeling so oppressed all the time. Losing so many opportunities, contracts, spots at universities.

Ask your black friends what kind of racism they've experienced and then compare it to the actual real-life examples you have of harm as a result of affirmative action. Because this, what Eason went through today, is just one example of the crap so many black people have to go through. But yeah, poor you, I'm sure you're losing so many contracts to minority owned businesses you just can't survive.
Pacfanweb
hereforguerrilla said:

Today as Derrick Eason Jr. was walking to his car a woman drove by and called him the N word.

Sure she did. Sounds legit.
Tobaccoroadsportscafe
Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

Today as Derrick Eason Jr. was walking to his car a woman drove by and called him the N word.

He posted her license plate.
Pacfanweb
Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

Oh, well that settles it then. Must have happened.
Obviously idiotic and reprehensible if true.
Color me skeptical in today's climate.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Do you really think more and more people agree with your rioters tearing down statues? Lol. You are blinded by partisanship. They are animals and if you're comfortable with them representing your beliefs, I feel sorry for you.

Yes, more and more people agree with it. Voters' net support for BLM has bounced up 15 net percentage points in the last month.

This generally corresponds with America's strong recent shift toward understanding the problem of police brutality in the black community.

"A recent Monmouth University poll found among "Americans of Latino, Asian and other minority backgrounds," 63 percent believe black individuals are more likely to be subjected to excessive force by police, up from 39 percent in 2016. Similarly, 49 percent of white Americans shared this sentiment, up from 25 percent in 2016."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/18/what-helps-non-black-people-support-black-lives-matter-signal-someone-their-own-ethnic-group/

Mercifully, America is waking up to the racial inequities that the black community has faced forever.

It's obvious you've chosen your team and feel like it's your job to root for the red team but not everyone that disagrees with you on racial equity is on the blue team. I do think Trump is likely the least intelligent, least rational, and least equipped president in America's history but I'm registered independent and don't align strongly with either party. The two party system is a huge, huge problem in this country.
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

"Today's climate," where racial inequity is still a fairy tale in the minds of too many white men?
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

That's like saying all white people are Kennedys, Rockfellers, Vanderbilts, Fords, Carnegies, and Morgans.

Yeah, if you're one of them...or even if you're a step down or two down the ladder, and you're "just" a Hilton....sure, you have all sorts of built-in advantages like you described. History. Prestige. Money.

The average net worth of a black family in this country is $18,000.

The average net worth of a white family in this country is $180,000.

91 of 92 presidents and vice presidents have been white in this country's history. (1% black)

Since our country's inception we've had around 10,500 congressmen. 170 have been black. (1.6% black)

It ain't just Kennedys and Rockefellers that have money and power in this country.
Wolfblood
So how do we fix the wealth and power structure inequality in the country?

It's obvious the Oprah plan of letting the old white racists die out is not working fast enough.

I'm open to ideas. It's most definitely going to require a tremendous wealth and power transfer. How does this happen?
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

91 of 92 presidents and vice presidents have been white in this country's history. (1% black)

Since our country's inception we've had around 10,500 congressmen. 170 have been black. (1.6% black)

It ain't just Kennedys and Rockefellers that have money and power in this country.

Then work needs to be done regarding education so blacks will have a better outcome in life.
The problem with the way you see it is, you think that white people have money, therefore that is keeping blacks from having money.

That's not true. Blacks can have money, too.

The opportunity is there for anyone who is capable of seizing it. But the work has to be put in. Whites don't have that average worth because they were simply born and just got some huge gift bestowed upon them when they became adults.

They worked, got educated or learned skills that would help them earn money, and then went out and earned it.

I believe that if black people were doing the same thing, they would have similar outcomes.

You can take all the money in the country and redistribute it...but the uneducated would still be uneducated and within a generation it would be back about like it is now. Or well on the way.

packgrad
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

"Today's climate," where racial inequity is still a fairy tale in the minds of too many white men?

Today's climate where being a victim gets you social media likes.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Yes, more and more people agree with it. Voters' net support for BLM has bounced up 15 net percentage points in the last month.

This generally corresponds with America's strong recent shift toward understanding the problem of police brutality in the black community.

"A recent Monmouth University poll found among "Americans of Latino, Asian and other minority backgrounds," 63 percent believe black individuals are more likely to be subjected to excessive force by police, up from 39 percent in 2016. Similarly, 49 percent of white Americans shared this sentiment, up from 25 percent in 2016."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/18/what-helps-non-black-people-support-black-lives-matter-signal-someone-their-own-ethnic-group/

Mercifully, America is waking up to the racial inequities that the black community has faced forever.

It's obvious you've chosen your team and feel like it's your job to root for the red team but not everyone that disagrees with you on racial equity is on the blue team. I do think Trump is likely the least intelligent, least rational, and least equipped president in America's history but I'm registered independent and don't align strongly with either party. The two party system is a huge, huge problem in this country.

Oh, I'm registered independent as well, and have voted for many Democrats. That will absolutely change this election though.
65Pack
A lot of Educated conservative blacks Don't agree with most of this...at the end of the day any group is made up of a bunch of individuals and any individual in this country can be anything they want and this includes doing nothing and always being a victim.
Pacfanweb
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

Exactly.
hereforguerrilla
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

You think he took a picture of a random person's license plate and made it up that he was called the N word to get social media likes?

So you never hear people use the N word anymore right? You've never used the N word right? Unreal that on top of dealing with racist losers this kid has amazing human beings like yourself saying he lied for social media likes.
GuerrillaPack
65Pack said:

A lot of Educated conservative blacks Don't agree with most of this...at the end of the day any group is made up of a bunch of individuals and any individual in this country can be anything they want and this includes doing nothing and always being a victim.
Completely agree with you.

By the way, this "victim mentality" is fundamental to Marxism -- which is the ideological foundation of all Leftist movements. Marxism requires that there be a "victim class" in society that is being "oppressed" by the "haves" (wealthy) in society -- which then is the "justification" for their desire for a fundamental "change" in society (ie, a cultural revolution and overthrow of the status quo), which essentially is having an immensely powerful government come in an take over control of every aspect of society. But the real end goal of Marxism is tyranny and having the government (elite or "1%" of society) confiscate all the wealth of the nation and enslave the rest of the population.

Marxism requires a continual class warfare, and dividing society into groups that fight against each other. For Marx, it was the "proletariat" (working class people and poor) against the "bourgeoisie" (wealthy middle class). To this day, the Marxist Left is still at war with the middle class -- ie, destroying the middle class via oppressive taxation, while "re-distributing" that wealth to the lower class.

But in the modern Marxist Left, the class of "oppressed victims" has dramatically expanded -- ie, to African-Americans and hispanics, homosexuals, trans-sexuals, women, etc.

The architects of the Marxist Left know that fear and hatred are powerful emotions -- in order to cause people to support their agenda. So they sow fear and hatred, and cause these groups to blame "hetrosexual white middle class men" and "conservatives" for all of their problems -- in order to, in the end, join with the Marxist Left political movement and advance the Marxist agenda for dramatic cultural/political revolution in society.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
GuerrillaPack
hereforguerrilla said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

You think he took a picture of a random person's license plate and made it up that he was called the N word to get social media likes?

So you never hear people use the N word anymore right? You've never used the N word right? Unreal that on top of dealing with racist losers this kid has amazing human beings like yourself saying he lied for social media likes.
How many times per day does the average black American refer to their fellow black Americans as the "n-word"?? Probably 50 to 100 times per day?

Get over it. It's a friggin word. Ever heard of the phrase "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"??

I think being discriminated against by law (ie, "affirmative action") is FAR more egregious....than being called a "mean name".
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
packgrad
I didn't say that about his situation at all. Relax. You need to stop making boogeymen out of everyone that disagrees with you.
1MANWOLFPAK
Wonder why this person joined the site??
packgrad said:

I didn't say that about his situation at all. Relax. You need to stop making boogeymen out of everyone that disagrees with you.
Pacfanweb
hereforguerrilla said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

Pacfanweb said:

hereforguerrilla said:

It's a word. If the woman did do that, I've already said it was not good.

But what if she called him an a-hole? Jerk? M-f'er? Etc?

What happened to make her say anything? He's saying she just said it. I find that unlikely. Maybe it IS true, and again...if so, not cool.

But....you have to be skeptical of anything these days, and that's unfortunate, but yeah....I think someone would take a pic of someone's car and do exactly what he did. Things worse than that have happened already.

Remember the black girl who filmed the Raleigh police after they chased a young guy and said the police shot a child who only had a pizza? Got all the folks over that way in Raleigh fired up about it.

You should seen the comments from other people who immediately just believed her

Turned out the "child" was 26, and had a gun. She lied.

Remember the man shot in Charlotte and his wife telling everyone he only had a book, not a gun? She lied. He had a gun.

Remember all the "witnesses" in Ferguson who lied...some hadn't even seen the incident, but claimed that Brown was shot in the back and had his hands up? All lies.

Remember the guy who ran from RPD, fought with the officer and tried to take his gun and got shot? His mother claimed he was shot in the back as he ran. Lies. His DNA was on the officer's weapon.

So yeah, I absolutely think someone would lie like this.

I want more evidence than just one person's word that it happened. Call me crazy.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

12.5% of Presidents have been black since the civil rights era and schools were fully integrated. About the same % that blacks are in America.

The last 5 Congresses have been the most racially diverse in history. 12% of Congress is black now, IIRC.

Representation is not the issue. The racial makeup of 150 years ago is irrelevant. Even WWII era is irrelevant now.

People of color have had a pretty significant level of representation for about 12 years now, including 8 years of President, yet you'd think things right now are worse than ever.

Why didn't all that representation change things?
Tootie4Pack
Very interesting reading many of the comments on this topic. I just wanted to offer another piece to the puzzle that I don' t believe has been previously mentioned....an entity that has tremendous influence on the lives of people not only in this country, but around the globe.

Organized Crime and the impact that they have on our government and politics, on the economy, on drugs and human trafficking, on lawyers, guns, and money (thanks to WZ). Organized Crime has so much impact on the lives of the rich, the middle class, and the poor. There can be statues removed, there can be changes to law enforcement policies and practices, there can be many, many good and productive conversations between millions and millions of people, but lurking in the shadows, almost out of sight and out of mind, is OC.

I will stop here. I could go on and on about their influence, both directly and indirectly in today's world. One of the quiet, silent influencing factors that affects a lot more people than most people realize. Including discrimination against many different races of people.
NCSUBill
Anyone from age 18 on can invest the cost of a 6 pack of beer and a large pizza a week into any of 100's of etfs or mutual funds and end up a multimillionaire by age 65. Given lifespans moving toward 100+ that is potentially 82+ yrs to save and grow wealth for your use and future generations.. Value of compound interest over time.. Nothing prevents anyone from. Fighting for an education, working multiple jobs, working more than 40 hrs per wk.

My mom grew up in abject poverty , went to a 1 room school house all the way through HS. She wore underwear made from flower slacks. She was proud of her first job as a file clerk at $0.25/hr.. she worked 3 jobs. I remember her parents getting electricity when I was 6, running water when I was 12 and an indoor bathroom when I was 16.

My dad grew up with a widowed mom in poverty. He worked 3 jobs from age 6 until WWII to help feed the family. He made the most money he had ever made starting as a private and working his way up to a Master Sargent during WWII in Europe. He carried books with him Iin his rucksack from Normandy to Berlin. Took a job due to him becoming commu ications specialist in the Army and started on 3rd shift weekends at Western Electric. While working other jobs during his off hours ... made $50/mth all total for 1st yr after WWII.

They scrimped and saved everything they could and invested it. My sister and I were comfortable, bot did chores for neighbors at $0.25/chore. They pounded into our heads the value of education, hard work, multiple jobs, long hours and investing.

Wealth. Is not measured by what car one drives (deprectiating asset), clothes one wears --$200 jeans, quality of Alcohol one drinks $100 bottles of beverage, eating 7 or more meals a week in restaurants. $250 sneakers one wears or drugs one takes ... mj, etc...

There is no reason 50%+ of the people in this country can't retire as a millionaire .. provide money to their kids for education and leave money when they retire. Life spending and savings knowledge passed down through the ages is how wealth is built generationally.

Money is green, in the US - that is the dream the majority of the world is fighting for.. it is the freedom. To improve yourself and future generations.

My father always told me when I wanted more of anything to go look in the mirror and ask the person I saw what I should do to get more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.