Systemic, institutionalized, and codified racism and discrimination

53,107 Views | 355 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Civilized
Civilized
How long do you want to ignore this user?
packgrad said:

You are being intentionally obtuse, or just aren't very sharp if you don't understand what is meant by women and minorities speaking of the white male experience.

It's telling that you think it's "weird" for white men to deny the "privilege of being the majority". It really shows what a bubble you live in and who you surround yourself with if a contrarian opinion is "weird" to you.

"White" wealth, power, and rule does not impact their lives significantly today. That's a crutch that white and black liberals use to justify the victim mindset that runs rampant in today's society. People aspire to be a victim today. Look at Lebron and his fake racist spray painting on his gate. You think it's wrong for white people to question how they've been victimized by white wealth, power, and rule but will be the first to cry racism or butbutbut white people when white people bring up how black issues impacts their lives and society. Can't have it both ways.

You can call it whatever you want to call it. White privilege, majority privilege, whatever appeases you're white guilt. You certainly won't call for personal accountability.... unless it's white people being accountable for people that lived 200 years before them.

Do you think there are benefits to being in the majority class?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

You can call it whatever you want to call it. White privilege, majority privilege, whatever appeases you're white guilt. You certainly won't call for personal accountability.... unless it's white people being accountable for people that lived 200 years before them.

So now we're too far away from slavery to be accountable. Should be water under the bridge, right? Cool.

So, when were white people accountable for slavery?

When did they really, truly own it and what did they do to be 'accountable'?

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

If you say we're way past that now, then it must have been sometime much earlier. So point to that. Let's start there.

Avoid and deflect. Also, love how you're all in on white people having to be accountable for things other white people did. Would be racist if we did that with, let's say, black people. White guilt must keep you up at night.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

You are being intentionally obtuse, or just aren't very sharp if you don't understand what is meant by women and minorities speaking of the white male experience.

It's telling that you think it's "weird" for white men to deny the "privilege of being the majority". It really shows what a bubble you live in and who you surround yourself with if a contrarian opinion is "weird" to you.

"White" wealth, power, and rule does not impact their lives significantly today. That's a crutch that white and black liberals use to justify the victim mindset that runs rampant in today's society. People aspire to be a victim today. Look at Lebron and his fake racist spray painting on his gate. You think it's wrong for white people to question how they've been victimized by white wealth, power, and rule but will be the first to cry racism or butbutbut white people when white people bring up how black issues impacts their lives and society. Can't have it both ways.

Do you think I'm going to answer any more of your questions?
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

So now we're too far away from slavery to be accountable. Should be water under the bridge, right? Cool.

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

If you say we're way past that now, then it must have been sometime much earlier. So point to that. Let's start there.

Avoid and deflect. Also, love how you're all in on white people having to be accountable for things other white people did. Would be racist if we did that with, let's say, black people. White guilt must keep you up at night.

What am I avoiding? What am I deflecting?

I restate your position and then ask you specific questions about your position. You refuse to answer them, because you know you can't, and then you pull out your Tucker Carlson Mad Libs.

Just talk about the issue, using rational analysis and not your partisan cliches.

Stop using politics as a crutch. I'm not democrat and don't give a **** about the democratic party.

Who should be primarily accountable for things white people did? Black people? Natives? LOLOLOL. Somebody's got to be accountable. Or are you saying nobody should be? Black Americans and Native Americans can do their part but policy changes require white support since we're the majority.

That's not racist it's just common sense. It's a numbers game.

I don't feel guilt, I just know whites are in the unique position to change the way things are done.
Civilized
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Do you think I'm going to answer any more of your questions?

I don't think you've ever answered ANY of my questions.

LOLOLOLOL
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

I'd say when the South was burned and people lost everything they had, that was a pretty good start. You know, the actual people that were slave owners?

I'd say the over 1.6 million casualties from both sides and over 650,000 dead (by far mostly whites) in the civil war counts for something.

That was a pretty damn good start right at the beginning when blacks were freed.
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

I don't feel guilt, I just know whites are in the unique position to change the way things are done.

So how is it that white people can cause blacks to take education seriously, so they have better outcomes in life?

Because that is the only thing that will change things. They wanted the same opportunity that everyone else had.

They have it. Have HAD it for a long time, now. They aren't taking advantage of it in large numbers.

What can whites do to change that?

packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

What am I avoiding? What am I deflecting?

I restate your position and then ask you specific questions about your position. You refuse to answer them, because you know you can't, and then you pull out your Tucker Carlson Mad Libs.

Just talk about the issue, using rational analysis and not your partisan cliches.

Stop using politics as a crutch. I'm not democrat and don't give a **** about the democratic party.

Who should be primarily accountable for things white people did? Black people? Natives? LOLOLOL. Somebody's got to be accountable. Or are you saying nobody should be? Black Americans and Native Americans can do their part but policy changes require white support since we're the majority.

You have yet to answer this. "Do you believe it's OK for other races and genders to tell me about my life experience, but not for me to tell them about their experience? Simply because I am a white male?"

You have said whitemansplaining is bad. But you have been unable to answer that. You have called me scared. You have asked if it blah blah blah would have made me feel better. You now are invoking Tucker Carlson. All to avoid answering the question. Because you know you're a hypocrite.

Stop using politics as a crutch? Stop using deflection as a crutch. Just talk about the issue using rational analysis and not your partisan cliches. Don't deflect and call me "scared". Don't deflect and scream Fox News, Tucker Carlson!

I know you're not a "democrat". You've told us you're "independent". Classic.

packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

It's not racist? Lol. White people should be accountable for things they had nothing to do with simply because they're white. And that's not racist? Lol.

While you're doing your common sense numbers game, do violent crime and murder. Let's get things cleaned up there using common sense numbers to determine accountability.

You clearly don't feel white guilt. You just feel white people should be responsible for things they did not do. Totally not white guilt....
acslater1344
Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Phew boy we got some proud racists in our ranks. Any way to shut this thread down?

Yep lefties are so racist they don't even know they're racist.
It's really interesting to watch them spew so many racist viewpoints while simultaneously claiming others are racist.

Name a civil rights leader that you feel like is not racist.

Can a white person be racist against white people? Hard to keep track of the definition of "racism" with this crowd.
packgrad
acslater1344 said:

Civilized said:

Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Phew boy we got some proud racists in our ranks. Any way to shut this thread down?

Yep lefties are so racist they don't even know they're racist.
It's really interesting to watch them spew so many racist viewpoints while simultaneously claiming others are racist.

Name a civil rights leader that you feel like is not racist.

Can a white person be racist against white people? Hard to keep track of the definition of "racism" with this crowd.

Is this a serious question? If so, yes. White people can espouse racist ideas about white people. See Shaun King as exhibit A.

If it's not racist, is it racist as soon as a black person agrees with the not racist white person? Hard to keep track of "racism" with this crowd.
Civilized
packgrad said:

You have yet to answer this. "Do you believe it's OK for other races and genders to tell me about my life experience, but not for me to tell them about their experience? Simply because I am a white male?"

You have said whitemansplaining is bad. But you have been unable to answer that. You have called me scared. You have asked if it blah blah blah would have made me feel better. You now are invoking Tucker Carlson. All to avoid answering the question. Because you know you're a hypocrite.

Stop using politics as a crutch? Stop using deflection as a crutch. Just talk about the issue using rational analysis and not your partisan cliches. Don't deflect and call me "scared". Don't deflect and scream Fox News, Tucker Carlson!

I already answered that yesterday.

I said they're telling you about the challenges of being a member of a previously-enslaved racial minority in this country. White wealth, power, and rule impacts their lives significantly and they say so.

Or if you think they're telling you something different, then please by all means amplify and stop dancing around what you think you're being told.

I don't have a clue what you think other races and genders are telling you about your life experience, if not that.
IseWolf22
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

I said they're telling you about the challenges of being a member of a previously-enslaved racial minority in this country. White wealth, power, and rule impacts their lives significantly and they say so.

Or if you think they're telling you something different, then please by all means amplify and stop dancing around what you think you're being told.

I don't have a clue what you think other races and genders are telling you about your life experience, if not that.
There is an element of the radical left that vehemently believes that to comment on minority issues, you must be a minority of the specific class in question. Cis white males voices are not welcome except to provide unequivocal support. If you aren't plugged into far left twitter, or the conservative sites that write about it, you may not see it. There is a fascinating circular firing squad amongst "young adult novelists" right now for example. Activists in the community don't think you should be able to write fiction about characters of other races than your own and twitter led protests have gotten a series of books canceled before print.

The thing is, I don't see you or anyone on this thread trumpeting this view (I'll admit I skim most of these posts and don't catch everything). Its a fairly radical view that isn't mainstream even in the left, despite what conservative media portrays. This is why Biden beat out all of his "woke" competitors.
IseWolf22
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

It's not racist? Lol. White people should be accountable for things they had nothing to do with simply because they're white. And that's not racist? Lol.

While you're doing your common sense numbers game, do violent crime and murder. Let's get things cleaned up there using common sense numbers to determine accountability.

You clearly don't feel white guilt. You just feel white people should be responsible for things they did not do. Totally not white guilt....
I bear no guilt for the sins of my forefathers. That doesnt mean I cant assess the landscape of America today and conclude that in many parts of the country, black Americans have not had the same opportunity or experience that I've had as a white man.
Economic and educational outcomes are in fact largely correlated with those of your parent. So while don't have any guilt for my ancestors actions, I can recognize that poor black Americans are still feeling residual effects of policies that have been ended.
Even now, access to education is not equal. Treatment in the justice system is not equal. I don't support reparations, but I support specific actions to address problems TODAY. Police reform being the focus right now
Pacfanweb
Civilized said:

Okay:

Tell me this: If a black person does well in high school, goes to tech school or college, graduates, gets a job: How does anything white people do affect him/her?

Let's use a male: Graduates high school with decent grades. Goes to CC. Gets diploma in electrical, plumbing, HVAC...something that most any guy can do if he chooses.

Gets a job in that field. Gets paid.

How is anything white people are doing affecting him? What have any white people done that would prevent/hinder him in getting to where he's trained and working?
What are the "challenges" he is facing, if he's educated and working and taking care of his business like he's supposed to?
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

I bear no guilt for the sins of my forefathers. That doesnt mean I cant assess the landscape of America today and conclude that in many parts of the country, black Americans have not had the same opportunity or experience that I've had as a white man.
Economic and educational outcomes are in fact largely correlated with those of your parent. So while don't have any guilt for my ancestors actions, I can recognize that poor black Americans are still feeling residual effects of policies that have been ended.
Even now, access to education is not equal. Treatment in the justice system is not equal. I don't support reparations, but I support specific actions to address problems TODAY. Police reform being the focus right now
I agree with most of that, except the education part.

In what way is "access to education not equal"? I'd say black's "access to education" is BETTER.

They go to the same schools K-12. So equal access there.

If they qualify for a 4 year college, there are far more options in the way of scholarships and grants for them, than for a white person...simply based on race.

I suspect it's the same for a CC.

So how is their 'access to education' not equal?

I still say their "attitude towards education" is what the real problem is.

But yeah, in the past, there's no doubt that their opportunity wasn't the same....I just don't believe that's the case now. I think THEY are the primary ones holding themselves back at this point, and it's been that way for a good long while, now.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

There is an element of the radical left that vehemently believes that to comment on minority issues, you must be a minority of the specific class in question. Cis white males voices are not welcome except to provide unequivocal support. If you aren't plugged into far left twitter, or the conservative sites that write about it, you may not see it. There is a fascinating circular firing squad amongst "young adult novelists" right now for example. Activists in the community don't think you should be able to write fiction about characters of other races than your own and twitter led protests have gotten a series of books canceled before print.

The thing is, I don't see you or anyone on this thread trumpeting this view (I'll admit I skim most of these posts and don't catch everything). Its a fairly radical view that isn't mainstream even in the left, despite what conservative media portrays. This is why Biden beat out all of his "woke" competitors.

Civilized literally did what you explained of the radical left. He is the one chastising others with whitemansplaining. White males cant speak on others experience, but others can speak on white males. You'll notice how he keeps avoiding, deflecting, and NOW saying he answered with an answer that does not address the question.
PackBacker07
IseWolf22 said:

I agree with this - nice post.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

Well stated. I don't necessarily agree with everything, in regards to education in particular, but could definitely find common ground with some of it and work towards common on the rest.
GuerrillaPack
My forefathers didn't commit any "sins" against black people. My ancestors didn't own slaves. And the ancestors of 99% of white people alive in America today did not own slaves.

How can Leftists say that ALL white people need to "atone" for these wrongs in the past, when 99% of them are descended from people who did nothing wrong? Hell, some white Americans are the descendants of slaves -- of white slaves in America.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

Very nice post. Well done.
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

In what way is "access to education not equal"? I'd say black's "access to education" is BETTER.

If they qualify for a 4 year college, there are far more options in the way of scholarships and grants for them, than for a white person...simply based on race.

But yeah, in the past, there's no doubt that their opportunity wasn't the same....I just don't believe that's the case now. I think THEY are the primary ones holding themselves back at this point, and it's been that way for a good long while, now.

Have you looked at any studies on economically and racially segregated schools, or inter-generational economic mobility? Or are you just saying what you say about educational and economic opportunities because you think, want, or 'suspect' them to be true?

Find some studies and come back to the conversation with data.

They don't 'go to the same schools'.

72% of black students attend high-poverty schools.

31% of white students do.

White students perform between 2 and 4 grade levels ahead of their black peers in major cities in the US.

Look at edopportunity.org and

https://www.epi.org/publication/schools-are-still-segregated-and-black-children-are-paying-a-price/

Are they the same schools?

Which schools have more resources, more role models, better teachers, fewer disciplinary distractions, more successful peer groups, more challenging and varied programs, less food instability, less housing instability, etc.?

Stop starting with a conclusion and then just rationalizing that the facts support your conclusion. Do some research.
Pacfanweb
It's not the schools, it's the students.
public schools are teaching the same material to all the students. Doesn't matter if they're rich or poor.
What do you also fail to mention is that the students from the poor neighborhoods that get bused over to the "rich" school, still don't really do any better.
GuerrillaPack
Pacfanweb said:

It's not the schools, it's the students.
public schools are teaching the same material to all the students. Doesn't matter if they're rich or poor.

But but but...they also say that "the tests are racist"!

Just googled that...hell, even the NEA is peddling this nonsense. Lunatics truly have taken over the asylum.

It seems that EVERYTHING is rayciss. I guess that nature (the sun, sky, and earth) are also racist. Maybe racism is ingrained into the physical laws of the universe -- including our DNA.

Maybe genetics are racist. Maybe everything in the natural world is influencing and causing these inequalities that we see in the world. I guess genetics are "racist" in that humans are more intelligent than dogs and cats -- and this is the reason for the humans gaining supremacy over dogs and cats, and the income inequality between humans and dogs/cats.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Pacfanweb
What Civ is basically saying is, "it's not the players, it's the coaches".

Which COULD be true in some instances, but not when you're talking large numbers like we are here.

You can't give Coach K the roster from UNCW and have him win or even be competitive in the ACC with it. The roster just isn't talented enough.

In this case, the "talent" is the students....and this particular "talent" can be, and IS cultivated in the home. So by the time the "coaches" (teachers in this instance) get to work with the "talent", the die has already been cast.

Why do you think the behavior problems are worse at the "poor"/"black" schools? Why do you think that when schools are pretty diverse, most of the behavior problems come from the black kids?

It's the parenting. And remember....73% of black babies are born to unwed mothers, and most black kids are raised in single parent homes.
That leads us to what we have now.

You could completely switch the student populations of a "rich" school with a "poor" one, and the student outcomes would remain the same, because the parenting would still be the same. The teachers at the "best" schools would have a negligible effect on those "poor school" students. Because a teacher is no better than his/her students.

That's why charter schools and private schools out-perform regular public schools....Just by the nature of the beast, those schools require more-involved parents. When a parent is making that kind of time investment in their kids, they tend to demand/expect more of them in school, and the kids tend to deliver.

Charters don't have better test scores because their teachers are better, they have better scores because their STUDENTS are better.

There's not a thing you can change about schools, the gov't, the legal system, cops....NOTHING can change these poor outcomes until you fix things where they start: In the home.

Now, I'm sure plenty of white people are willing to help fix that, but you can only lead the horse to water.....

IseWolf22
Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

Primarily black public schools do not have the same level of funding as nearby primarily white schools. A lot of that is based on property tax being a major source of schools revenue. They also tend to suffer from less experienced teachers and higher teacher turnover.

Poverty breeds poor scholastic outcomes. If your single parent is working two jobs, they may not have hours in the day to help your kid with homework. Those kids have to "stay on track" with less supervision, less support, and often a lack of role models. I read an article recently where a 17 year old was interviewed. He said that many of his friends have been shot before and he just hoped that he would live long enough to "make a baby before I die." That's a heartbreaking statement, because I don't see how you come to it unless you have absolutely no hope that your situation can be improved.

How can you improve that situation? That's the million dollar question but just saying that it's cultural and throwing your hands in the air means that nothing changes and the cycle of poverty continues. If I was ruler of the US, I'd decriminalize most drugs. I'd waive cash bail for most non-violent offenses. Released felons should be able to get decent jobs if they've reformed. Many states won't let felons work in random fields like barbershops due to moral clauses in their licensing rules. I want less people locked up overall and those that are released to have less barriers to rejoining the workforce. You've mentioned the single mother birth rate for black children, but a lot of that is due to a lack of marriageable men. Some black communities are heavily skewed female due to the number of men either in prison, or lacking any economic prospects
Cthepack
IseWolf22 said:

Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

Primarily black public schools do not have the same level of funding as nearby primarily white schools. A lot of that is based on property tax being a major source of schools revenue. They also tend to suffer from less experienced teachers and higher teacher turnover.

Poverty breeds poor scholastic outcomes. If your single parent is working two jobs, they may not have hours in the day to help your kid with homework. Those kids have to "stay on track" with less supervision, less support, and often a lack of role models. I read an article recently where a 17 year old was interviewed. He said that many of his friends have been shot before and he just hoped that he would live long enough to "make a baby before I die." That's a heartbreaking statement, because I don't see how you come to it unless you have absolutely no hope that your situation can be improved.

How can you improve that situation? That's the million dollar question but just saying that it's cultural and throwing your hands in the air means that nothing changes and the cycle of poverty continues. If I was ruler of the US, I'd decriminalize most drugs. I'd waive cash bail for most non-violent offenses. Released felons should be able to get decent jobs if they've reformed. Many states won't let felons work in random fields like barbershops due to moral clauses in their licensing rules. I want less people locked up overall and those that are released to have less barriers to rejoining the workforce. You've mentioned the single mother birth rate for black children, but a lot of that is due to a lack of marriageable men. Some black communities are heavily skewed female due to the number of men either in prison, or lacking any economic prospects
IseWolf22, I hope it is ok to add to your poverty comment. Poverty leads to people making reactive / bad decisions. When you are in poverty you do not think systematically, you do not think long term. You do not think about what you need to do as a parent to make sure your child gets a good education. That would be too forward thinking. I have read that being poor reduces a persons cognitive capacity more than going one full night without sleep. It is not that poor people have less bandwidth, rather, it is the experience of poverty that reduces everybody's bandwidth. When peoples resources are scarce every problem is a source of stress.

BTW this is not only for poverty. What happens typically when we have something important that is due and we are running out of time?
Civilized
Pacfanweb said:

What Civ is basically saying is, "it's not the players, it's the coaches".

Which COULD be true in some instances, but not when you're talking large numbers like we are here.

You can't give Coach K the roster from UNCW and have him win or even be competitive in the ACC with it. The roster just isn't talented enough.

In this case, the "talent" is the students....and this particular "talent" can be, and IS cultivated in the home. So by the time the "coaches" (teachers in this instance) get to work with the "talent", the die has already been cast.

Why do you think the behavior problems are worse at the "poor"/"black" schools? Why do you think that when schools are pretty diverse, most of the behavior problems come from the black kids?

It's the parenting. And remember....73% of black babies are born to unwed mothers, and most black kids are raised in single parent homes.
That leads us to what we have now.

You could completely switch the student populations of a "rich" school with a "poor" one, and the student outcomes would remain the same, because the parenting would still be the same. The teachers at the "best" schools would have a negligible effect on those "poor school" students. Because a teacher is no better than his/her students.

That's why charter schools and private schools out-perform regular public schools....Just by the nature of the beast, those schools require more-involved parents. When a parent is making that kind of time investment in their kids, they tend to demand/expect more of them in school, and the kids tend to deliver.

Charters don't have better test scores because their teachers are better, they have better scores because their STUDENTS are better.

There's not a thing you can change about schools, the gov't, the legal system, cops....NOTHING can change these poor outcomes until you fix things where they start: In the home.

Now, I'm sure plenty of white people are willing to help fix that, but you can only lead the horse to water.....

Black students are less than half as likely to be recommended for gifted-education programs as white students AFTER controlling for standardized test scores.

Sound familiar? You see the same exact sorts of implicit bias in school that you do in policing and criminal justice.

"Using national data from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study, Sean Nicholson-Crotty, PhD, at Indiana University, and colleagues found black students were 54 percent less likely than white students to be recommended for gifted-education programs, after adjusting for factors such as students' standardized test scores. But black students were three times more likely to be referred for the programs if their teacher was black rather than white (Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 2016)."

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2016/11/cover-inequality-school

Read that again.

You control for test scores, so you're talking about groups of students with similar merit. Blacks are less than half as likely to be recommended for exactly the types of gifted education programs that minority students need to improve outcomes.

Another:

Black students are punished more often, and more severely, than white students for the same offenses.

"In the latest study, 85 principals and assistant principals took part in an experiment involving hypothetical problems, where a student who was misbehaving in class was referred to them by a teacher. In some cases, the discipline issues were labeled the student's first offenses, and in others, second offenses.

But, critically, the names were randomized to signal different ethnic backgrounds, using names that respondents in previous research had typically deemed "white" or "black," such as "Greg" and "Darnell."

Bottom line: The principals and assistant principals rated the same misbehavior by black students as more severe than the white students' misbehavior. The black students were more likely to be seen as troublemakers, and were on average given more days' suspension."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/black-children-are-more-likely-to-be-disciplined-than-white-kids-for-the-same-behavior-2019-10-16

But you're right, black Americans' educational opportunity is the same because they have the same math textbook as white students.

Open your eyes man. Implicit bias is all around us. You don't notice it - hell, even worse you swear it doesn't exist or doesn't matter - because you're not the one that it hurts.

You are very right that school reform isn't the end-all be-all. Poverty and instability depresses student performance.

But concentrating students with these disadvantages in racially and economically homogenous schools and not rooting all all the biases that work against black students depresses it further.

packgrad
Couple of interesting quotes. One from the study about elementary students not being recommended for gifted programs.

"Our results suggest that black students are more likely to be referred to gifted services when taught by a black teacher but that increased presence of black teachers in the school other than the classroom teacher has little effect. We find some evidence that the classroom teacher effect is partially driven by teachers' more positive views of own-race students. Our results do not suggest, however, that the positive impact of teacher-student race congruence on gifted assignment can be explained by differences in student test score performance or increased parental interaction with the teacher."

" In other words, white instructors might go easy on their black students in order to avoid appearing racist, if only in their own minds. In their attempts to be egalitarian, however, they might avoid constructive criticism that would benefit black students.
Giving feedback is difficult for teachers in any circumstance, Harber points out. Teachers must strike a balance between being assertive and respectful. "Add the issue of race and teachers might worry they're displaying a lack of racial sensitivity. That can tip the scale and lead to a positive bias," Harber says.

Why would teachers think they would be accused of racism? Can't imagine why.
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

In 1880?

1900?

1920?

Okay, there's some good stuff there.

So...do all that you recommended. Legalize weed while we're at it. Equalize school spending. Do it all.

And in 20 years, if things haven't changed, or have barely changed.....you'll see I am right.

Because no matter how many studies you or anyone else cites, the fact of the matter is, blacks do not value education. And it's not because they are poor, it's not because their men are in jail, it's not because their schools are underfunded.

Blacks that get bused to the "rich" schools also don't do much, if any better on average.

I would agree that adding funding to a mostly black/poor school would probably help....a little.

But you still haven't accounted for them not valuing education. You can come up with every excuse in the world, but the fact of the matter is the fact of the matter.

All the "poor" blacks aren't THAT poor. They aren't all the proverbial single mom working two jobs and no time for the kids.
Plenty of them have good clothes, are fed well, etc.....and still don't give a rat's arse about school.

That's a cultural thing, and until it changes, you can throw all the money, time, and effort you want at it....and you will get minimal results. You can eliminate every single nitpicking thing that Civil has listed in this thread, and it will have little effect.

And honestly, that goes for poor white kids as well. They also tend to have crappy parents that don't care what their kids do and they end up as poor adults with dumb kids of their own and the cycle repeats.
It's just a lower percentage of total whites, even though it's a higher number.

I'm going to give you all an admittedly anecdotal example of how to break the cycle in my next post, this one's long enough.

Pacfanweb
How to break the cycle:

My wife's family:

As poor as any family in America, is how she grew up. Alcoholic, no-working dad. Neglectful mom.

4 kids.

Brother went to the army, then worked in factories, did okay. Broke the cycle.

Oldest sis, army, worked in factories, married a black deadbeat druggie who was useless to his family. 3 girls. She lived in absolute squalor, but provided everything they needed, and sacrificed everything for them.
2 oldest grew up, went to college, married, kids, in good shape. Broke the cycle.

Next sis, married local loser. 3 boys with cognitive issues. 2 fairly functional, but worthless. She finally got straightened out in her 40's, doing better now. Kind of broke the cycle, but took awhile.

Wife: Youngest. Mother did absolutely nothing for her. She excelled in school, hung out with kids that had whole families, National Honors Society, marching band, etc. Put herself through college. Broke the cycle.

It CAN be done. Just need the work ethic.

PackBacker07
Anecdotes are great, but you can't just say "work hard *******s" and think the problem is solved. Ise, and a few others, are onto something with their previous posts.
Pacfanweb
PackBacker07 said:

Anecdotes are great, but you can't just say "work hard *******s" and think the problem is solved. Ise, and a few others, are onto something with their previous posts.

Never said that was all there was to it. But it's a whole lot of it.
I agree there are some good points in a couple of those posts, but there is also what looks to be a whole lot of excuse-making as well.
SupplyChainPack
Hard work doesn't guarantee success, but it drastically improves the odds.

It should be encouraged - and this excuse making and victimization nonsense should end.
Civilized
Come hang out with me on my job sites downtown and see if you keep talking about working hard.

Steady stream of neighborhood folks walking by the jobs, stopping by to see if we've got any work, even if it's picking up trash.

Hard work matters but when you don't know where in the world to look for or find opportunity, you're screwed even if you're willing to put in the work.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.