Wolfpack Baseball - 2020 (1-0,0-0)

123,168 Views | 667 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
JCooke93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
braz213 said:

I think we came out of the draft pretty well. It sucks losing Walston but it happens to every team.
I think so too
JCooke93
Struttingwolf96 said:

So Avent has 10 guys to fill 3 spots with:
Johnston, Swiney, Justice, Harrison, Feeney, Silver, Pace, Villaman, Willadsen, & Bender. Thats not to shabby of a list to choose from, hopefully Avent can't screw that up.
not at all
BigLefty24
EthanBarry said:

I don't think putting Walston and Parker in the same category is fair. If Walston showed up, I don't think Parker would've started. Hell, even if Walston didn't show up, I'm not sure Parker would've started. To me, it's just one weekend starter gone and like CLT said, he was never even here. There's still a bunch of options to go with Johnston. Swiney, Bender, Feeney, Willadsen, Villaman, etc. My money is on Swiney and Bender.

Hopefully Walston goes well over slot and they don't have money for Soles

You don't think Parker woulda started?? I'm gonna have to disagree with that one.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
Yeah Parker probably would've made a helluva Sunday starter if Walston had made it to campus. I never really thought Parker was a great fit as a Friday guy, though he did have a few games where he looked the part. As long as he was getting outs he could cruise, but when there was traffic and he had to go from the stretch, he didn't look comfortable IMO. Great dude though, hope he does well at the next level. For next year, I do still hold out hope for Feeney being another year removed from surgery. Swiney was amazing the second half of the year, but I do wonder if he's just more suited coming out of the pen for long relief, which he seemed to excel at. Great having a guy like that if your starter gets knocked around. Will be fun to see how it comes together.
statefan91
For the novice, can you guys explain the difference between a Friday / Saturday / Sunday starter? Assume you start off with your strongest guy on Friday?
CLTWolf
statefan91 said:

For the novice, can you guys explain the difference between a Friday / Saturday / Sunday starter? Assume you start off with your strongest guy on Friday?
Usually you go w/ your number 1 on Friday trying to get that first win right off the bat. Sometimes coaches will go w/ their #1 on Saturdays as well (we did this w/ Rodon a good bit). The Boston College coach usually pitched his best guy on Sundays. Don't know his reasoning but my guess is that since he had two good starters he could go w/ his #1 sunday to go for the series win when usually the other team is pitching in all likelihood their 3rd best guy (assuming his other decent starter could get a win friday). That could be totally off but just a guess.
rwwalsh
Parker was a bit of a mystery. He looked like an All ACC pitcher the first part of the year, then he fell apart down the stretch. I think we've got enough arms to supplement the loss of him.

Offensively is a different story. If we can't get Torres or Soles on campus we are going to be in trouble at the plate.
JCooke93
rwwalsh said:

Parker was a bit of a mystery. He looked like an All ACC pitcher the first part of the year, then he fell apart down the stretch. I think we've got enough arms to supplement the loss of him.

Offensively is a different story. If we can't get Torres or Soles on campus we are going to be in trouble at the plate.
Or Both
JCooke93
My Updated Weekend Rotation
Friday N.Swiney46
Saturday R.Johnston29
Sunday L.Benter
As of Right Now
wilmwolf
CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

Usually you go w/ your number 1 on Friday trying to get that first win right off the bat. Sometimes coaches will go w/ their #1 on Saturdays as well (we did this w/ Rodon a good bit). The Boston College coach usually pitched his best guy on Sundays. Don't know his reasoning but my guess is that since he had two good starters he could go w/ his #1 sunday to go for the series win when usually the other team is pitching in all likelihood their 3rd best guy (assuming his other decent starter could get a win friday). That could be totally off but just a guess.
They gave the stats during one of our games this year, and I don't remember the exact numbers, but the odds of winning the series are much higher if you win the first game. I would tend to think that there is a big psychological component there as much as anything.
statefan91
CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

Thanks, that is line with what I was assuming regarding pitching your best on Friday so you can try to get the win and not have to win 2 in a row for the series.
JCooke93
I think that we will be fine
89_Grad
wilmwolf80 said:

CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

They gave the stats during one of our games this year, and I don't remember the exact numbers, but the odds of winning the series are much higher if you win the first game. I would tend to think that there is a big psychological component there as much as anything.
We were 4-1 on Friday first half of ACC season (only loss was to Virginia), and then 1-4 down the stretch (only win was Clemson). Big reason we faltered so badly in April and May.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
gopack1979
To me Feeny and Klyman are the 2 that can really help tip this in the right direction. They both have lights out stuff but couldn't seem to stay healthy. If they're on then we have a really solid bullpen or front line starter in the case of Feeny.
CLTWolf
89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

We were 4-1 on Friday first half of ACC season (only loss was to Virginia), and then 1-4 down the stretch (only win was Clemson). Big reason we faltered so badly in April and May.

We won 2 of those last 5 series and we played the last two games of the Wake series and all of the Notre Dame series without Will Wilson. If Wilson is in the lineup in game 3 against Wake we win that game (IMO) and the series. Mensik had a rough game 3 at SS, poor guy.

But yeah, Parker losing some steam towards the end of the year didn't help. Neither did losing Wilson for 6 games and Bailey being banged up hurt too.
BigLefty24
CLTWolf said:

89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

We won 2 of those last 5 series and we played the last two games of the Wake series and all of the Notre Dame series without Will Wilson. If Wilson is in the lineup in game 3 against Wake we win that game (IMO) and the series. Mensik had a rough game 3 at SS, poor guy.

But yeah, Parker losing some steam towards the end of the year didn't help. Neither did losing Wilson for 6 games and Bailey being banged up hurt too.
Correct, our struggles down the stretch were much more related to offense than pitching.

Parker gave up 6 earned runs in his last four starts. Two of those teams went to the Super Regionals, a third (Clemson) won 35 games and lost out in the regionals, and the fourth (Radford) finished a half game behind Campbell for the Big South regular season championship. Really solid performances to finish the year against some great teams. Nevermind the outstanding start to the season he had. Parker battled some arm soreness through the middle part of the year, but outside a couple of starts, he was pretty reliable all year. MLB scouts seem to have a pretty high opinion of him as well...
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

JCooke93
CLTWolf said:

89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

Parker was not 100% at the end of the season And Feeney And Klyman were not 100% either
JCooke93
BigLefty24 said:

CLTWolf said:

89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

Correct, our struggles down the stretch were much more related to offense than pitching.

Parker gave up 6 earned runs in his last four starts. Two of those teams went to the Super Regionals, a third (Clemson) won 35 games and lost out in the regionals, and the fourth (Radford) finished a half game behind Campbell for the Big South regular season championship. Really solid performances to finish the year against some great teams. Nevermind the outstanding start to the season he had. Parker battled some arm soreness through the middle part of the year, but outside a couple of starts, he was pretty reliable all year. MLB scouts seem to have a pretty high opinion of him as well...
yup
CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

CLTWolf said:

89_Grad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

CLTWolf said:

statefan91 said:

He wasn't good against Louisville, but they were the best team in the league 99% of the year. He wasn't sharp against Wake, ND or unc either. Don't know when the arm troubles started but he wasn't as accurate starting the Louisville series as he had been earlier in the season. Looks like he was walking about a hitter more per outing the 2nd half of the season. Seems like the arm soreness unfortunately started the same time the bats went silent (with and w/out Wilson).

I wish we had him coming back next year as more often than not he kept us in games in a position to win.
wilmwolf
Yup. As Will Wilson went offensively, so our team went. When he was out or not playing well, not only did we miss his production, but the rest of the team's production seemed to drop as well. Not putting him down at all, because he was great, but having your best player slump in the post season is enough to sink most teams.
braz213
What was wrong with Bailey?
CLTWolf
braz213 said:

bumps and bruises but I think a little more intense than just the normal bumps and bruises. Played through it.
JCooke93
braz213 said:

thumb injury
JCooke93
We are not on the ECU Baseball Schedule For The 2020 Season my guess is Because of the Carolina Mudcats Schedule But Like Normal ECU People Think that we are to scared to play them but what ever
JCooke93
The 2020 Pack 9 New Kids Are Moving in Today
metcalfmafia
JCooke93 said:

Now the question is which ones?
CLTWolf
metcalfmafia said:

JCooke93 said:

Now the question is which ones?

Yeah, very good question.
JCooke93
All the ones that didn't get drafted
JCooke93
A.pace is one of the kinds that is moving on to Campus
JCooke93
N.soles also moved into Campus today
metcalfmafia
JCooke93 said:

Awwwww yeahhhhh
Wolfer79
JCooke93 said:

CLTWolf
Wolfer79 said:

JCooke93 said:

There's your CF. Hopefully Tyler McDonough has been taking grounders and working on turning two at 2B.

Now, it's your turn Jose Torres....
JCooke93
CLTWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

JCooke93 said:

There's your CF. Hopefully Tyler McDonough has been taking grounders and working on turning two at 2B.

we still have a 50/50 shot on B.Walston
CLTWolf
JCooke93 said:

CLTWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

JCooke93 said:

we still have a 50/50 shot on B.Walston

I like your optimism but he's signing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.