Wolfpack Baseball - 2020 (1-0,0-0)

123,153 Views | 667 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JCooke93
EthanBarry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

How much PT do we think some of these freshmen are actually going to get as 2 way players? Seems like Avent doesn't use them much, and I'm not entirely sure why. I know most of the freshmen 2 way guys are primarily backups in the field, but who will get ABs as well as pitch? IIRC Reid Johnston came in as a very established prep hitter but hasn't had an AB. Will Villaman/Willadsen/Highfill actually play a few games in the field/DH? On the flip side, will Neese get some time on the mound? He was up to 94 a few times, gotta think we will give him a look.

I think the last guy I remember was when he gave Kinneman a few innings on the mound and that was a disaster. But BK wasn't known for being a good HS pitcher (like we have now) so I am not sure the reasoning behind it. Also remember Rodon getting a few ABs, but lets be real- he was a special case and needed to be protected.
It's rare but becoming more common. You have top of the draft talents like Brendan McKay and Hunter Greene but seems like some teams will use a positional player as their closer. JC Flowers at FSU did it and then was drafted as a pitcher. I think Miami had a guy do it too. Evan Mendoza was a pitcher his freshman year and then moved to third. Maybe one guy can do it but I'd be surprised if it's a big thing.

Oh I agree 100%, but I just hope that Avent gives it's a shot. Villaman had eye popping hitting numbers. Neese can throw mid 90s. Pretty sure willadsen was recruited as primarily an IF before his senior year pitching dominance. Seems like we have a couple guys that can contribute multiple ways because it's doable
Certainly think he does. Fall is time for experimenting. If he did it with Kinneman, why wouldn't he at least give a guy a shot?
Struttingwolf96
I am one for sure who hopes Avent tries this instead of not even giving a look at the different options.
braz213
What's up with Giles? He wasn't rated high. At least in BA. Did he come in and surprise the staff?
JCooke93
pack2010 said:

EthanBarry said:

pack2010 said:

How much PT do we think some of these freshmen are actually going to get as 2 way players? Seems like Avent doesn't use them much, and I'm not entirely sure why. I know most of the freshmen 2 way guys are primarily backups in the field, but who will get ABs as well as pitch? IIRC Reid Johnston came in as a very established prep hitter but hasn't had an AB. Will Villaman/Willadsen/Highfill actually play a few games in the field/DH? On the flip side, will Neese get some time on the mound? He was up to 94 a few times, gotta think we will give him a look.

I think the last guy I remember was when he gave Kinneman a few innings on the mound and that was a disaster. But BK wasn't known for being a good HS pitcher (like we have now) so I am not sure the reasoning behind it. Also remember Rodon getting a few ABs, but lets be real- he was a special case and needed to be protected.
It's rare but becoming more common. You have top of the draft talents like Brendan McKay and Hunter Greene but seems like some teams will use a positional player as their closer. JC Flowers at FSU did it and then was drafted as a pitcher. I think Miami had a guy do it too. Evan Mendoza was a pitcher his freshman year and then moved to third. Maybe one guy can do it but I'd be surprised if it's a big thing.

Oh I agree 100%, but I just hope that Avent gives it's a shot. Villaman had eye popping hitting numbers. Neese can throw mid 90s. Pretty sure willadsen was recruited as primarily an IF before his senior year pitching dominance. Seems like we have a couple guys that can contribute multiple ways because it's doable
S.Highfill17 Can Pitch And Play 1B
JCooke93
braz213 said:

What's up with Giles? He wasn't rated high. At least in BA. Did he come in and surprise the staff?
he can play anywhere in the infield he has speed and some Pop in his Bat also
JCooke93
As Of Right Now My 2020 Pack 9 RF Depth Chart
1D.Brown3.Jr
2M.Chulp32.So
3L.McArther11.Sr
4T.Tatum1.Jr
5J.Butler14.Jr
6T.Thomas31.RSJr
7C.Villaman16.Fr
8M.Willadsen23.Fr
JCooke93
The First Game of The Big10 vs ACC Challenge For The Pack 9 vs Iowa First Pitch is at 11amCT
JCooke93
My 2020 Pack 9 LF Depth Chart as of Right Now
1T.Tatum1Jr
2L.Tresh24So
3N.Soles2Fr
4M.Chulp32So
5J.Butler14Jr
6C.Villaman16Fr
7L.McArther11Sr
pack2010
JCooke93 said:

1T.Tatum1Jr
2L.Tresh24So
3N.Soles2Fr
4M.Chulp32So
5J.Butler14Jr
6C.Villaman16Fr
7L.McArther11Sr

The first surprise. If Tatum is the guy (and Murr is at 1st), means Debo or tresh will be left out at DH
JCooke93
pack2010 said:

JCooke93 said:

1T.Tatum1Jr
2L.Tresh24So
3N.Soles2Fr
4M.Chulp32So
5J.Butler14Jr
6C.Villaman16Fr
7L.McArther11Sr

The first surprise. If Tatum is the guy (and Murr is at 1st), means Debo or tresh will be left out at DH
I forgot to put Murr in my Outfield Depth Chart
JCooke93
It's Official No EZU Eastern Carolina on the 2020 schedule
JCooke93
UNC Charlotte Comes To The Pack 9 on March 10 And The Pack 9 Goes To UNC Charlotte on March 24 at the Charlotte Knights Ballpark
JCooke93
Game 3 of the Big10 vs ACC Challenge on March The 1 at 6pm CT vs Minnesota
JCooke93
At Campbell on April 7 And At The Doak on April 29
JCooke93
March 18 at the Charlotte Knights vs South Carolina Gamecocks
JCooke93
At The Doak vs WF on March 21 22 and 23
JCooke93
March 13-15 at the Doak vs BC
JCooke93
March 4 At The Doak vs Coastal Time As Of Right Now is TBA
JCooke93
At FSU on March 27 28 And 29 The Times are 6pm 6pm And 1pm
JCooke93
At The Doak on February 25 at 4pm and At UNCW on May 12 At 6pm
pack2010
The fact we don't have a schedule yet is annoying
JCooke93
pack2010 said:

The fact we don't have a schedule yet is annoying
it should be out very soon
JCooke93
Going to have a new combo in 2020 all red Pants Jersey And hat combo
JCooke93
The 2020 ACC Baseball Tournament Season Tickets Just Went On Sale Today The Tournament Will Be in Charlotte NC
Glasswolf
JCooke93 said:

Going to have a new combo in 2020 all red Pants Jersey And hat combo
Wore something very similar in the late 70's early 80's

Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

JCooke93
It sounds like Standing Room Only Seating for Opening Weekend vs JMU
pack2010
Schedule out, and another weak OOC slate which is a bummer. The 5 road series are brutal too (Louisville, FSU, Clemson, GT, UVA).

JCooke93
Let's Go
Pack87
JCooke93 said:

The 2020 ACC Baseball Tournament Season Tickets Just Went On Sale Today The Tournament Will Be in Charlotte NC
I thought Durham couldn't host because of their league, isn't Charlotte in the same league?
JCooke93
Pack87 said:

JCooke93 said:

I thought Durham couldn't host because of their league, isn't Charlotte in the same league?
yes it is And it can only be there 1 season instead of back to back seasons
JCooke93
Season Tickets are sold out again for the 2020 season
JCooke93
They will be sealing Beer at the Doak in 2020
JCooke93
Happy New Year Everyone
JCooke93
2020 Pack 9 Meet And Greet Party on January 27 From 5:30pm-6:30pm
pack2010
1 month out and practice should start this week (at least it does at other programs)

Lineup guess (with batting order which is TOUGH) disclaimer- tresh could be in LF, Murr at 1st, Debo DH as well

CF- Johnny Butler- lead off all last year, assuming he takes the next step
2nd- Tyler mac- can put him anywhere in the lineup, this is a tough spot but he can handle the bat. Might want to move him down some in order to have him up with guys on
C- Patrick Bailey- like him in the 3 hole to get as many ABs as possible
DH- Luca tresh- big power guy, can see him getting 15 HRs as long as he cuts down on the Ks
3rd- mensik- my guess who clicks this year. Plus athlete with good pop, he can also hit almost anywhere in the lineup
1st- Debo- if he gets back to form, this lineup is dangerous
LF- Austin Murr- might be too low as I think he can really hit and handle the bat
RF- devonte brown- another plus athlete who can hit anywhere in the order. Needs to prove he can hold onto the RF spot
SS- Jose torres- likely better than this, but just don't know enough about him yet. But him and brown at 8 and 9 put a lot of pressure on teams assuming they make consistent contact

Honestly the lineup was much harder than I thought. So many guys can hit in a lot of different spots and only 1 true power guy. But I do think we can have 5-6 guys in the 7-12 home run range. This lineup feels more athletic but it really needs to limit the Ks.

Friday- swinney
Saturday- Reid
Sunday- villaman

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.