Minnesota Officer Who Shot Daunte Wright Meant to Fire Taser

62,816 Views | 659 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hokiewolf
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

And as far as comparing what goes on in other countries v. what is currently going on here... in those other countries people accept and know that the police aren't going to *****foot around if you do something wrong.

I used to travel extensively to both Europe and South America for work in a past life and it was commonplace to see their police toting machine guns in airports, subways, train stations, etc... I think they call it a deterent.

Hell, I remember my wife and I entering Italy on a train from Switzerland... and soon after we crossed the border the first contact we had was the barrel of a machine gun coming through the pocket door into our seating compartment for the passport check. They take your passport with them and you don't ask them when they are bringing it back. They bring it back when they are good and ready. When you stay in a hotel they keep your passport at the front desk.

Here in this country we ask our police officers to do their job (which most of you forget is mostly to protect us and keep us safe by enforcing and upholding our laws) with one hand tied behind their backs... now the lefties think they can do it with both hands cuffed behind their backs - while they shelter those that don't take "personal accountability" (there's that pesky phrase again) for their actions.

It's a shame that kid had to lose his life and no one is disputing that and that police officer will pay the consequences of her actions for that. But it never would have happened if the kid had not resisted to begin with.

She was a 26 year veteran of police duty... has she been out just randomly shooting black men throughout her career? or white, yellow, brown or red for that matter...
The bold above is a factual statement. In Italy, the police are on the streets, with Assault Rifles (I had to call them assault rifles for the impact like the media does) ready to go all in at any point. In fact, I started asking questions of people about the police... one after another said: I wish we had more police like them around.

What a difference a country makes?
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

BBW12OG said:

Here is more on the guy who was shot. More information is coming out but at this point one of the warrants he skipped out on was for choking a woman and robbing her of $800 or so dollars. Yeah.... I am the one that pre-judged this kid.

What's the point?

It says it right in the headline.
I'm really trying to understand the point you two are making, I really am. Is it because he's wanted for a crime or has a past criminal history make his death more justified in your eyes? Does it make him subhuman so he deserves what he got? I don't get this and I didn't get it with George Floyd either. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

That's interesting. I don't think you're trying at all. Has anybody said it's justified? I think it's interesting that you continue to try to put words in peoples mouths. I really do. Both didn't deserve to die. Both probably could have prevented it by not resisting arrest. Both are being made martyrs on tv. But don't bring up that they are both not good people. We have to drive an agenda about police. And how we should let people that resist arrest run free. And militarized police can then go apprehend them. Zzzzzz
Ok, thank you I understand. But the whole resisting arrest thing / escalation by police thinking needs to change or officers need better training to deal with these situations so they don't end in a death of someone who is not armed. That is my point. To your last point I do agree with you in that the path we continue to travel as a country on this issue is a dangerous one because it allows for dangerous ideas to become mainstream. Police need better funding, not less. They need better support from the community, not less. But there needs to be a change in how policing is done because this ain't working.

I think the police are being so mislabeled we won't be able to hire the people necessary to properly train them.

My training for the police would make them more violent, by hands. I think we need to train them like the military. I think they should get hand combat training several times a year, if not monthly. I think there should be no quotas. Women, unless they prove themselves physically equal, should not be accepted. I think they should have real basic training to root out those not fit enough. I think mental health screening needs improvement.

We won't ever get good enough quality people though. Because we have presidents like Obama and congresspeople like Talib that ignore the other 28000 arrests everyday. That ignore they are protected by police forces. That try to drive an agenda. The police are the problem. Not the community. Because victimhood sells. Self accountability is irrelevant.
I agree with that, there should absolutely be personal accountability but at the same token there needs to be a path to rehabilitation and reacceptance into society. The stigma of the criminal record needs to be changed. I think if you do that, you'll have less repeat offenders.
Nope. Every single post you've made here indicates that you don't believe in personal accountability...

... and that is the crux of the issue in society today.

There is no personal accountability anymore. The only reason that kid resisted is because it's been encouraged... he has been taught that it doesn't matter what he does, that he can get away with it.

Where were the protests for the white woman from Pennsylvania riding with her husband in their car through North Carolina on I-95 on their way to a vacation in Florida. Fine upstanding young man, feels he's been disrespected because of a lane change pulls around to the passenger side and fires two shots at the woman...

This is on the interstate here in our state. That could have been you and your wife.

No personal accountability. Empowered to do whatever the **** they want without repercussion.

And you're all for it.

Hokie has told you what he's for you're obviously just not listening.

What does the woman who was tragically murdered along I-95 have to do with a cop accidentally killing a man she was trying to subdue, or with anything Hokie has said?

It just emphasizes faux outrage. You only "care" (message board "care". I doubt anybody on here is doing anything of substance to institute the change that is "so badly" needed) based on color if cnn tells you to. That's what it has to do with.

Why do you think that the right corners the market on rational analysis while the left just brainlessly follows MSM edicts?

We all self-select what media we consume to a certain extent, but that's implicit and true of all of us.

I don't put you in a right-wing box and I don't assume that you mindlessly follow the podcasts you listen to or the New York Post or Washington Examiner or Fox News or whatever media you consume.

Why don't you afford me the same courtesy?

Why do you feign faux outrage at everything? Why do you seek to be a victim?
I'm sorry assuming you're a cnn viewer is so hurtful for you. I'll pray I can be better one day.
The podcasts I listen to are comedians, not news at all. Why can't you extend me the same courtesy you seek?
BBW12OG
It's what he and his "slap happy" lefty buddies do best.

They are taught to be victims, claim some sort of ( -ism ) every time things don't go their way.

I'm sure they all got participation trophies for everything ...... including the "HOKIE-pokie" and "Ring around the Roses," you know the type... always the victim, people say "mean" words, never held accountable.... etc...

Now that's pretty damn funny...
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

It's what he and his "slap happy" lefty buddies do best.

They are taught to be victims, claim some sort of ( -ism ) every time things don't go their way.

I'm sure they all got participation trophies for everything ...... including the "HOKIE-pokie" and "Ring around the Roses," you know the type... always the victim, people say "mean" words, never held accountable.... etc...

Now that's pretty damn funny...
Hey man, I've never said the following:

1. People should not be held accountable for their actions
2. People should be allowed to play the victim and it's ok to destroy property
3. I've never introduced race into this conversation i.e. I've never said that the concern for me is about just black people.
4. I've never blamed cops on any comment I've made, But I have stated that I don't believe it should be ok for police to shoot people who are unarmed (and that's all people, white, black, latin, asian, purple, green, orange, etc.)

I'm sorry I don't fit into your neat little box of opinion because I tend to think the solution is not these people just need to get off their ass and get a job.

It doesn't work that way, the world isn't black or white. We had another thread where I laid out where I think the issues are with respect to personal accountability and how we get disadvantaged people pointed towards the path of opportunity.

Unfortunately, all that takes both time and money (whether public or private) and there seems to be no appetite in either political party to have the conversations that are needed to help improve the situation that will help disadvantaged people realize their dreams and in turn that will certainly help the police with the ability to better serve their communities.

I don't understand what argument you're trying to drag me into, because you take everything I have stated and twisted it into some sort of opinion that fits your hard line narrative. I'm neither a democrat nor a republican, I'm just a dude who like to formulate my own opinions outside of political influence, debate them with discourse, interject some humor every now and then, and make fun of the amount of running backs on the Virgina Tech roster.

IseWolf22
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

BBW12OG said:

Here is more on the guy who was shot. More information is coming out but at this point one of the warrants he skipped out on was for choking a woman and robbing her of $800 or so dollars. Yeah.... I am the one that pre-judged this kid.

What's the point?

I'm really trying to understand the point you two are making, I really am. Is it because he's wanted for a crime or has a past criminal history make his death more justified in your eyes? Does it make him subhuman so he deserves what he got? I don't get this and I didn't get it with George Floyd either. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

That's interesting. I don't think you're trying at all. Has anybody said it's justified? I think it's interesting that you continue to try to put words in peoples mouths. I really do. Both didn't deserve to die. Both probably could have prevented it by not resisting arrest. Both are being made martyrs on tv. But don't bring up that they are both not good people. We have to drive an agenda about police. And how we should let people that resist arrest run free. And militarized police can then go apprehend them. Zzzzzz
Ok, thank you I understand. But the whole resisting arrest thing / escalation by police thinking needs to change or officers need better training to deal with these situations so they don't end in a death of someone who is not armed. That is my point. To your last point I do agree with you in that the path we continue to travel as a country on this issue is a dangerous one because it allows for dangerous ideas to become mainstream. Police need better funding, not less. They need better support from the community, not less. But there needs to be a change in how policing is done because this ain't working.

I think the police are being so mislabeled we won't be able to hire the people necessary to properly train them.

My training for the police would make them more violent, by hands. I think we need to train them like the military. I think they should get hand combat training several times a year, if not monthly. I think there should be no quotas. Women, unless they prove themselves physically equal, should not be accepted. I think they should have real basic training to root out those not fit enough. I think mental health screening needs improvement.

We won't ever get good enough quality people though. Because we have presidents like Obama and congresspeople like Talib that ignore the other 28000 arrests everyday. That ignore they are protected by police forces. That try to drive an agenda. The police are the problem. Not the community. Because victimhood sells. Self accountability is irrelevant.
I agree with that, there should absolutely be personal accountability but at the same token there needs to be a path to rehabilitation and reacceptance into society. The stigma of the criminal record needs to be changed. I think if you do that, you'll have less repeat offenders.
Nope. Every single post you've made here indicates that you don't believe in personal accountability...

There is no personal accountability anymore. The only reason that kid resisted is because it's been encouraged... he has been taught that it doesn't matter what he does, that he can get away with it.

Where were the protests for the white woman from Pennsylvania riding with her husband in their car through North Carolina on I-95 on their way to a vacation in Florida. Fine upstanding young man, feels he's been disrespected because of a lane change pulls around to the passenger side and fires two shots at the woman...

This is on the interstate here in our state. That could have been you and your wife.

No personal accountability. Empowered to do whatever the **** they want without repercussion.

And you're all for it.

What does the woman who was tragically murdered along I-95 have to do with a cop accidentally killing a man she was trying to subdue, or with anything Hokie has said?

It just emphasizes faux outrage. You only "care" (message board "care". I doubt anybody on here is doing anything of substance to institute the change that is "so badly" needed) based on color if cnn tells you to. That's what it has to do with.

Why do you think that the right corners the market on rational analysis while the left just brainlessly follows MSM edicts?

We all self-select what media we consume to a certain extent, but that's implicit and true of all of us.

I don't put you in a right-wing box and I don't assume that you mindlessly follow the podcasts you listen to or the New York Post or Washington Examiner or Fox News or whatever media you consume.

I'm sorry assuming you're a cnn viewer is so hurtful for you. I'll pray I can be better one day.
The podcasts I listen to are comedians, not news at all. Why can't you extend me the same courtesy you seek?
Why do you assume Civilized, who is fairly consistent with his POV, is always arguing in bad faith?
IseWolf22
pineknollshoresking said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

American police dealing with violent criminals are going to have violent interactions. Sitting in your desk chair saying how many they SHOULD have is woke virtue signaling. How many killings without cause did they have last year? Unlike you, I understand accidents happen. That is the nature of the business in high stress environments. Those people should be dealt with. Labeling the entire police force because of the rare exceptions when accidents do happen is simply trying to force a narrative.

I don't know why you dig in so hard against the notion that we can police better than we do.

POLICE don't even push back that hard against improvement. It's why you've seen an uptick in de-escalation training in recent years.

Cops in other first world countries deal with violent criminals in high stress environments too.

And yet, they do not kill nearly as many of their citizens as we do of ours. We kill more than any other first world nation. Several times more.

Should we not try to improve that situation? Can we not learn from other countries that have outcomes that are between 4x and 60x better than our police at not killing their citizens?
It floors me that people are so resistant to the notion that policing can't or shouldn't be less violent than what we have today. It implies that Americans just less morale, and more violent than every other developed nation's citizens. The media certainly sensationalizes everything, and they overplay race as a factor (class matters more). However, we have numerous opportunities for reform, from decriminalization, to training and accountability.

To start, we need MORE Police with better, longer training and generally higher pay. That said, there needs to be actual accountability as well. All these comments about lamenting about the "attacks" on police ignore the fact that historically it's been extraordinarily hard to punish bad officers. Only recently have some states started to make reforms here and it never would have happened without public pressure. Union arbitration overturns the majority of officer misconduct firings. Even if an officer is fired, as long as they aren't convicted of crime, they can move to another jurisdiction and no nationalized record exists to prevent them working again. Qualified immunity shields them from civil lawsuit for all types of misconduct, even when the judges agree that the act was egregious.

We also shouldn't be teaching officers "Killology" which creates a mindset that perpetrators are animals to be corralled instead of other people. De-escalation training is proven to work. And finally we just need less criminalization of non-violent offenses. The Drug war has failed. It's lost. Low level crap just antagonizes the relations between the poor and police, adds to overincarceration, and leads to recidivism.
That's a lot of nothing... remember, Democrats control the cities where this stuff happens (for the most part). It is their hiring process, their tenure pay schedule, their policies that prohibit firing, and so...

De-escalating training is code word for "blame the police". If you would start from the premise of: the police want to do the right thing, then you may have a different opinion.

Let me draw a comparison to the same people. A doctor makes a mistake in surgery. We then get people who want to sue them for malpractice. If we start from the premise of: the doctors want to do the right thing, then we could mitigate the legal issues and probably wouldn't have such high health care cost.

I'm no dummy and I realize we have exceptions to the rule; however, those exception are probably far rarer than we might even think.

I do not believe, based on what I have read, that this female police officer, did this with any negative intent. So, I start with that premise... based on what I have read, she should not be charged as its an unfortunate result of the job.
When a Dr. makes a mistake, they can be sued. That's not the case with officers the vast majority of the time. Qualified Immunity gives them a shield, regardless of intent. Most cops are good people and try to do good, no one is arguing differently on this thread. So why is there so much push back for procedures that hold bad officers accountable? If 99.9% are doing the job well, why do we have to fight so much over the 0.1%?
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

BBW12OG said:

What's the point?

And you're all for it.

Why do you assume Civilized, who is fairly consistent with his POV, is always arguing in bad faith?
Why do you assume I always think he is arguing in bad faith?

We can do this all day, if you'd like.

Civilized only cares about police reform when a black person is killed by the police. Not when they are armed and respond to a mental health crisis. Not when they're directing traffic leaving Carter Finley. Only when Democrats and msm determine that police are killing innocent black people.
packgrad
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

American police dealing with violent criminals are going to have violent interactions. Sitting in your desk chair saying how many they SHOULD have is woke virtue signaling. How many killings without cause did they have last year? Unlike you, I understand accidents happen. That is the nature of the business in high stress environments. Those people should be dealt with. Labeling the entire police force because of the rare exceptions when accidents do happen is simply trying to force a narrative.

I don't know why you dig in so hard against the notion that we can police better than we do.

POLICE don't even push back that hard against improvement. It's why you've seen an uptick in de-escalation training in recent years.

Cops in other first world countries deal with violent criminals in high stress environments too.

And yet, they do not kill nearly as many of their citizens as we do of ours. We kill more than any other first world nation. Several times more.

Should we not try to improve that situation? Can we not learn from other countries that have outcomes that are between 4x and 60x better than our police at not killing their citizens?
It floors me that people are so resistant to the notion that policing can't or shouldn't be less violent than what we have today. It implies that Americans just less morale, and more violent than every other developed nation's citizens. The media certainly sensationalizes everything, and they overplay race as a factor (class matters more). However, we have numerous opportunities for reform, from decriminalization, to training and accountability.

To start, we need MORE Police with better, longer training and generally higher pay. That said, there needs to be actual accountability as well. All these comments about lamenting about the "attacks" on police ignore the fact that historically it's been extraordinarily hard to punish bad officers. Only recently have some states started to make reforms here and it never would have happened without public pressure. Union arbitration overturns the majority of officer misconduct firings. Even if an officer is fired, as long as they aren't convicted of crime, they can move to another jurisdiction and no nationalized record exists to prevent them working again. Qualified immunity shields them from civil lawsuit for all types of misconduct, even when the judges agree that the act was egregious.

We also shouldn't be teaching officers "Killology" which creates a mindset that perpetrators are animals to be corralled instead of other people. De-escalation training is proven to work. And finally we just need less criminalization of non-violent offenses. The Drug war has failed. It's lost. Low level crap just antagonizes the relations between the poor and police, adds to overincarceration, and leads to recidivism.
That's a lot of nothing... remember, Democrats control the cities where this stuff happens (for the most part). It is their hiring process, their tenure pay schedule, their policies that prohibit firing, and so...

De-escalating training is code word for "blame the police". If you would start from the premise of: the police want to do the right thing, then you may have a different opinion.

Let me draw a comparison to the same people. A doctor makes a mistake in surgery. We then get people who want to sue them for malpractice. If we start from the premise of: the doctors want to do the right thing, then we could mitigate the legal issues and probably wouldn't have such high health care cost.

I'm no dummy and I realize we have exceptions to the rule; however, those exception are probably far rarer than we might even think.

I do not believe, based on what I have read, that this female police officer, did this with any negative intent. So, I start with that premise... based on what I have read, she should not be charged as its an unfortunate result of the job.
When a Dr. makes a mistake, they can be sued. That's not the case with officers the vast majority of the time. Qualified Immunity gives them a shield, regardless of intent. Most cops are good people and try to do good, no one is arguing differently on this thread. So why is there so much push back for procedures that hold bad officers accountable? If 99.9% are doing the job well, why do we have to fight so much over the 0.1%?.

Where is all the pushback for holding bad officers accountable? Please quote the posts.

Are you saying if one disagrees with your methods of training improvements that that person does not want to hold bad officers accountable? I literally have seen no posts where posters here want to not hold bad officers accountable.

Assuming that to be the case, I'm not sure it makes sense, in this online community, to claim there is so much push back for procedures that hold bad officers accountable.
caryking
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

When a Dr. makes a mistake, they can be sued. That's not the case with officers the vast majority of the time. Qualified Immunity gives them a shield, regardless of intent. Most cops are good people and try to do good, no one is arguing differently on this thread. So why is there so much push back for procedures that hold bad officers accountable? If 99.9% are doing the job well, why do we have to fight so much over the 0.1%?
I'll ask this question again...

What is the likelihood this young man would be killed if he didn't resist arrest?
caryking
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Think about the question you proposed (above in bold)... why are we having so much fighting over your .1%? 99.9% is an outstanding track record. Based on that, I wouldn't change a damn thing.

So, why are we having those .1% issue? Are they even bad cops? Did the person resist arrest that ultimately led to their death?
BBW12OG
I'll give you an answer that the lefties won't like....

ZERO.

How hard is it to listen the Law Enforcement Officers?

Ego... we have a segment of the population that followed Dear Leader when he said.."question authority.."

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

The officer was wrong. She's paying the penalty. That doesn't remove the fact the guy who got shot is void of blame.
Civilized
packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

BBW12OG said:

What's the point?

And you're all for it.

Civilized only cares about police reform when a black person is killed by the police. Not when they are armed and respond to a mental health crisis. Not when they're directing traffic leaving Carter Finley. Only when Democrats and msm determine that police are killing innocent black people.

"I don't always think Civilized is arguing in bad faith"

*takes a breath*

"Civilized only cares about [multiple things that I have not said and do not believe]"

Still more bad faith assumptions about "what I care about" that aren't based on anything I've said.

On this thread, I've been clear about what I think, and I didn't bring race into this thread. I haven't even mentioned race. All I've posted about have been the evidence that police kill way too many Americans, and what I think we need to do about it.

Why won't you argue with what I actually say? That's the definition of a bad-faith argument. You discount what I say, assume that I actually mean something other than what I say, and you argue against your false assumption.

I don't assume you mean things other than you say. I'm asking you to return the favor. This is an anonymous internet message board; what incentive would I have to lie about what I think, or say something that I don't mean?

Civilized

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

I'll ask this question again...

What is the likelihood this young man would be killed if he didn't resist arrest?

Zero, Cary.
Civilized

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Think about the question you proposed (above in bold)... why are we having so much fighting over your .1%? 99.9% is an outstanding track record. Based on that, I wouldn't change a damn thing.

So, why are we having those .1% issue? Are they even bad cops? Did the person resist arrest that ultimately led to their death?

Because the .1% lead to the deaths of hundreds more Americans each year than can reasonably be the case.

If we have an opportunity to save hundreds of Americans from being killed by cops each year via better training and changing the frequency with which armed cops interface with Americans, you wouldn't do it?

If not, why not?

And it's not just saving the American public's lives. The benefits compound.

If we police better, and then police enjoy more trust in communities in America, future police encounters in those same communities will be less likely to escalate, which will save even more lives (both civvies and cops).

Everyone wins if that's the direction policing trends. Shouldn't we all strive for that?
tuffy1006

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

of course there are bad cops LMAO. There have been several police departments wiped out by corruption. I think we've even had a few right here in NC where the ENTIRE police department was fired/replaced and some arrested. Maybe you considered them good cops too? If there can be corrupt politicians, there can certainly be corrupt cops. Dont know why you give one of those sides a pass.
packgrad

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

It's about controlling the narrative. The kid's warrant is irrelevant to why he was accidentally shot. The kid's past is irrelevant to why he was accidentally shot. The kid's reaction is irrelevant to why he was shot.

But George Floyd is relevant to why he was accidentally shot. Qualified immunity is relevant to why he was accidentally shot. Killology is relevant to why he was accidentally shot. Police being armed while responding to mental health crises is relevant to why he was accidentally shot. Directing traffic is relevant to why he was shot.

The police officer resigned. The police chief resigned. The police officer was charged with a crime. The system is working. An accident happened, so let's drive a narrative.
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

I'll give you an answer that the lefties won't like....

ZERO.

How hard is it to listen the Law Enforcement Officers?

Ego... we have a segment of the population that followed Dear Leader when he said.."question authority.."

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

The officer was wrong. She's paying the penalty. That doesn't remove the fact the guy who got shot is void of blame.
Ok, let me as you this - Have you watched the video of the Army officer who was pepper sprayed during a traffic stop in Virginia? Because if you watch the video, the officer gives conflicting instructions "keep hands outside the car" and "get out of the car" The guy can't do both. When he tries to get clarification, the officer escalates the situation because the driver isn't "complying". This was a uniformed military officer who thought he was doing the right thing and still got pepper sprayed for it and I'm willing to be if he moved his hands to undo his seat belt and get out of the car as instructed he could have possibly been shot.

In that case, I think that this guy saved his own life by not listening to the Law Enforcement Officers.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

IseWolf22 said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Civilized said:

TheStorm said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

BBW12OG said:

What's the point?

And you're all for it.

"I don't always think Civilized is arguing in bad faith"

*takes a breath*

"Civilized only cares about [multiple things that I have not said and do not believe]"

Still more bad faith assumptions about "what I care about" that aren't based on anything I've said.

On this thread, I've been clear about what I think, and I didn't bring race into this thread. I haven't even mentioned race. All I've posted about have been the evidence that police kill way too many Americans, and what I think we need to do about it.

Why won't you argue with what I actually say? That's the definition of a bad-faith argument. You discount what I say, assume that I actually mean something other than what I say, and you argue against your false assumption.

I don't assume you mean things other than you say. I'm asking you to return the favor. This is an anonymous internet message board; what incentive would I have to lie about what I think, or say something that I don't mean?

This would have more tooth if these were your first posts on the topic and you didn't have a posting history. I don't think willful ignorance is arguing in good faith. I don't think claiming I won't argue with what you actually say is arguing in good faith.
hokiewolf
"Hey, you're misrepresenting my argument"

"Stop playing the victim!"

Madness
BBW12OG
Wow... you really can spin something can't you.

You know what... if you aunt was your uncle he wouldn't be your aunt.

Also... there are more good cops than bad cops. Rule of thumb is to follow instructions of the Law Enforcement Officers. 99% of all interactions are positive.

You and the lefties just focus on the few bad instances and make it your "issue" of the day.

Where is the outrage when officers are killed in the line of duty? You were dead silent when I posted those statistics. You, like your lefty brethren, have selective moral outrage.

Stick to shining your participation trophies and sit this one out.
packgrad
hokiewolf said:

"Hey, you're misrepresenting my argument"

"Stop playing the victim!"

Madness

Utter nonsense.
packgrad said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

I'm not against more police training. I'm fine with that. I would encourage you to read the thread and see that I've already made that point. I think your de-escalation training is probably crap though. You've seen an uptick in deescalation training because of more leftist appointments. Coincidentally you're also seeing vacant police positions increase throughout the country.

I'm not against people being killed by the police. When accidents happened or a bad killing happens, which is a rarity, then we deal with that situation. I don't think we have a shortage of people that should/could be killed by police justifiably.

I've argued what he said. But please let's argue in bad faith some more. Willful ignorance.
IseWolf22

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Are you trying to say that you don't think bad cops exist? Because there are so many stories to choose from. It's not even just about deaths. There are beatings, thefts, dogs, etc. Just today I saw the story about the 5' 73 year old lady with Dementia who had her arm broken while being arrested. She was confused and had walked out of Walmart with $14 of stuff she forgot to pay for.

As for our other question, no, this guy in Minn would not be dead if he hadn't resisted. But he's dead. He paid far more than his crimes were worth.
BBW12OG
Here are more reasons to support the police and their need for firearms. Luckily the officer is OK and the suspect has been arrested.

hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

Wow... you really can spin something can't you.

You know what... if you aunt was your uncle he wouldn't be your aunt.

Also... there are more good cops than bad cops. Rule of thumb is to follow instructions of the Law Enforcement Officers. 99% of all interactions are positive.

You and the lefties just focus on the few bad instances and make it your "issue" of the day.

Where is the outrage when officers are killed in the line of duty? You were dead silent when I posted those statistics. You, like your lefty brethren, have selective moral outrage.

Stick to shining your participation trophies and sit this one out.
I'm not spinning anything, you presented an argument that if you didn't follow the instructions of the Law Enforcement Officers you "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". I presented you with a national news story that contradicts that statement.

Now, you've changed your opinion slightly by adding the phrase "Rule of thumb". That changes the argument, and I 100% agree with you that as a rule of thumb, you should follow the instructions of the Law Enforcement Officers. But there are some cases where the instructions are confusing and asking for clarification is not a means to justify escalation of the situation on the part of the law enforcement officer, especially if you are trying to be cooperative, as was the case with this traffic stop in Virginia.

The very topic that I'm responding to here is about one of those 1% of bad interactions with police officers. Therefore, I'm going to have an opinion that we should look at those interactions and see if we can improve them so that we try to eliminate as many of those bad outcomes as possible. That's not anti police, that's not moral outrage, that's not virtue signaling.

I work in an industry where we strive for 100% safety. It will never happen because humans are not robots, but we try to implement preventive measures to minimize the potential for an injury. And when an injury does occur, we do a lessons learned and try to understand what went wrong and what could be done differently. That's all I'm saying here. Yes, 99% is good, but we could always strive to be better. There's nothing wrong with that.

So, no I'm not a "lefty" and it's not my issue of the day, it's the subject of the damn topic.

When did I interject any morality into this topic? Did I say that actions of police are immoral? No, not once man.

I don't think any good comes out of any unnecessary waste of life, and that includes police officers, I'm not sure me not responding to your post means that I approved of cops getting killed. I don't and there's anything I posted on this website or anywhere that would say otherwise.

What I find so interesting with you is that your opinions seem to lack both empathy and nuance. The world is not black and white. There's so much gray built into every day life that needs to be accounted for in these types of discussions.

caryking
tuffy1006 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

So, why are we having those .1% issue? Are there even bad cops? Did the person resist arrest that ultimately led to their death?
of course there are bad cops LMAO. There have been several police departments wiped out by corruption. I think we've even had a few right here in NC where the ENTIRE police department was fired/replaced and some arrested. Maybe you considered them good cops too? If there can be corrupt politicians, there can certainly be corrupt cops. Dont know why you give one of those sides a pass.
Tuffy, you're a lost soul... I was using the statistics provided by Isle. Inside those statistics, he provided for a .1% failure (my words) rate of officers. I didn't say that his statistics were correct or not. I really didn't care.

Isle was making an argument, it appears, regarding the fighting among us, for changing procedures, on a .1% failure (my words) rate of officers. I'm saying a 99.9% effective rate should be fine. That rate certainly passes the test for elections; so, why not officers?

My rhetorical question: Are there even bad cops? That was just hyperbole, at best...
Civilized
Great post!
IseWolf22

tuffy1006 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

So, why are we having those .1% issue? Are there even bad cops? Did the person resist arrest that ultimately led to their death?
Tuffy, you're a lost soul... I was using the statistics provided by Isle. Inside those statistics, he provided for a .1% failure (my words) rate of officers. I didn't say that his statistics were correct or not. I really didn't care.

Isle was making an argument, it appears, regarding the fighting among us, for changing procedures, on a .1% failure (my words) rate of officers. I'm saying a 99.9% effective rate should be fine. That rate certainly passes the test for elections; so, why not officers?

My rhetorical question: Are there even bad cops? That was just hyperbole, at best...
I used 99.9% since BBW used it. I also believe multiple people used it in the old George Floyd thread.

In reality about 10% of officers are investigated for misconduct. It's likely the majority of those are for minor infractions. There are about 2,500 who have had 10 or more misconduct complaints, 20 who have had over 100, yet were still working. Numbers may be higher since not every state requires release of records, but it looks like a small, but non-negligible amount.
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

packgrad said:

I would argue that the cities that the police work for are sued all the time...and pay out all the time. The reason that doctors are sued most of the time instead of the hospital group that they work for is because most of them are independent contractors.
cowboypack02
I think this entire thing is circular and no one can seem to take two seconds and think through the entire issue to come to a conclusion

Here is typically what happens in a step by step process....
  • Incident happens where a police officer shoots and kills someone. For our example here it doesn't matter if its justified or not....because quite frankly it doesn't seem to matter in the real world
  • News broadcast across the country blare out that the police killed someone. Usually we won't hear about it unless it is a person of color. Don't ask me why the news only reports this way....but they do.
  • Your Al Sharptons, Jessie Jacksons, and BLM folks get involved because there is money to be made here by fundraising and protesting.
  • The same people as above start yelling that everyone should be outraged because the police are "hunting black people down in the streets". Remember that no one has asked what actually happened yet, and the media haven't reported anything out side of the point that the police shot a minority.
  • People on mass take to the streets and protest because they've been convinced that the cops are out there gunning down minorities. During this time you get buildings burnt down and camera crews assaulted (looking at you CNN)
  • During the protest news organizations report that everything is peaceful and anyone who tells you anything else is racist....don't ask me why but thats the rules.
  • Interactions with police become move physical because the suspects believe that the police are out to gun them down due to the mass hysteria that the Al Sharptons, Jessie, Jacksons, BLM, and media have been yelling.
  • Police become more on edge because suspects are more confrontational and physical to the officers that are involved in any incident because they have been told that the cops are out to kill them, even though that isn't true...this leads to more shootings by the police because they are fearful of their own lives......

So the question is how do we break this cycle. I believe that there are at least 2 off ramps before the situation escalated in the first couple of steps
  • The suspect could of not resisted the police to start with. All of us have had run ins with the police but they don't end up like this one did. Why is that? I think it has to do with the interaction between the police and the suspect and how the suspect acts. 99.99% of police are good guys and just want to go home at the end of the day like the rest of us. They just want to hand out the ticket and then call it a day. If we get pulled there isn't any arguing or fighting with the cop. Its yes sir, no sir, and take your ticket. That would correct for a almost all of the bad stuff that happens with the cops
  • The media could report things straight up. The cops aren't out there killing folks, so the media should stop treating every news story with cops as such. Put the full truth out there instead of the media spin on it and let people decide from there.

Just my two cents....
Packchem91
^I fully agree with the idea of respecting the police and using all the right buzzwords you use. But.....I also didn't grow up being exposed to some jackass power hungry guys who roughed up my dad, or my brother, or my friends just because he could, like many who grow up in predominantly poor black, crime-ridden neighborhoods do.
How many times does a person have to see something like that, before a big distrust of the police starts?

I think that is one of the major things we are dealing with here. A guy who has already been arrested 4-5 times, perhaps roughed up, maybe outstanding warrants...probably isn't going to respond the same way as you or i

And yes....some of those stories of being mistreated could be exaggerated, mis-remembered, could have extenuating circumstances, etc.... but I think most people, given all we see, KNOW, that sometimes cops go way too far. And that doesn't mean just when someone ends up shot. If you get accosted and slammed to the ground, or thrown against a wall or punched, or ____ because you say something back....those things build a layer of distrust.

Now...as for your comments about the media's role -- 100% agree. "It's just business", and talking about some methhead white guy in a beater getting shot doesn't sell like a young black man (regardless of his background), getting shot.

Talking to a couple of my employees who are black, and some folks in my church who are -- all of whom I would trust, and the stories they have told about interactions....lets just say I get why they don't like the police.
BBW12OG
Funny how two people can see the same car accident and have totally different views.

I'm not doubting the fact that there are bad cops. Bad cops can be black, white, Asian etc....

The left capitalizes on stoking mistrust in the police in order to make sure the black communities have a "common" enemy.

I'm certain 50 years ago things were different. The way the left glamorizes every single incident of a white cop vs. a black individual is ridiculous.

The lefties would have you believe that it is open season for cops on black people. That's what they spout on a daily basis on their SOCIALIST PARTY run media stations.

Also in my interactions with police of any race has been questionable at times but I know they have a tough job and they get **** from people on an hourly basis. Nature of the job.

One culture views anything as being "disrespected." Dear Leader magnified that when he told the country that it was the "police vs. black people..." When you have a POTUS that spews that type of hate you ingrain into the culture that it is OK to push back against LEOs regardless.

The lefties created this monster and now they have to figure out how to control it. Good luck lefties... you people are something to behold.
packgrad
I was a Big for a few years. My little hated the police even though he never had any interaction with them. They're taught at a young age.
BBW12OG
packgrad said:

I was a Big for a few years. My little hated the police even though he never had any interaction with them. They're taught at a young age.
EXACTLY...

You have an entire demographic that is still being taught that the "man" is evil and will harm them.

Even though the black community needs the police 75% more of the time than the white community they are demonized from the time they arrive to the time they leave.

This is a byproduct of the left's indoctrination of a voting base. Keep them poor, uneducated and beholden and you'll have a vote for life.
Packchem91
BBW12OG said:

Funny how two people can see the same car accident and have totally different views.

I'm not doubting the fact that there are bad cops. Bad cops can be black, white, Asian etc....

The left capitalizes on stoking mistrust in the police in order to make sure the black communities have a "common" enemy.

I'm certain 50 years ago things were different. The way the left glamorizes every single incident of a white cop vs. a black individual is ridiculous.

The lefties would have you believe that it is open season for cops on black people. That's what they spout on a daily basis on their SOCIALIST PARTY run media stations.

Also in my interactions with police of any race has been questionable at times but I know they have a tough job and they get **** from people on an hourly basis. Nature of the job.

One culture views anything as being "disrespected." Dear Leader magnified that when he told the country that it was the "police vs. black people..." When you have a POTUS that spews that type of hate you ingrain into the culture that it is OK to push back against LEOs regardless.

The lefties created this monster and now they have to figure out how to control it. Good luck lefties... you people are something to behold.
Its funny you say 50 years ago things were different....well sure, jsut over 50 years ago, all across the South, in Chicago, Detroit, and LA, cops could, and would beat the living crap out of black people, often just because they were black and there, and no one would do a thing.

Thats within many of our lifetimes.....you think maybe that leaves a mark in the minds of the people who did live thru that, and you think maybe, just maybe, thats been handed down over generations, not to trust those police?

I'm all for personal accountability....its very arguable that the lack thereof is one of the biggest issues we have today. The kid in MPLS absolutely took actions that put himself in a bad light. I'm just thinking we should be open-minded to what that distrust and anger is there....and like Civ, Hokie and Ise and a few others have argued, should use it as motivation to figure out how to improve things --- BOTH ways.
packgrad
" Last week, when Engel testified before President Donald Trump's commission on law enforcement, she outlined what we don't know about de-escalation training's effectiveness.

Although "de-escalation use of force policies and training are widely viewed as a common-sense approach," she testified, "there is no uniformly accepted definition of de-escalation within the policing field, and little is known about the development, delivery, and impact of police de-escalation training."

In addition to concerns about whether or not the training works, little is known about how de-escalation training affects officer safety.

Earlier this year, Engel and her colleagues conducted a systematic review of the studies on de-escalation training for the police. There was just one problem. There were no such studies. Of the 64 rigorous studies conducted over the past 40 years, they were primarily done in nursing or psychiatric settings.

"We found zero studies in policing," Engel told ABC News. "Not one.""

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/police-reformers-push-de-escalation-training-jury-effectiveness/story%3fid=71262003

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.