Minnesota Officer Who Shot Daunte Wright Meant to Fire Taser

61,639 Views | 659 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hokiewolf
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Tragic story.

BROOKLYN CENTER, Minn. The officer who fatally shot a Black man during a traffic stop near Minneapolis mistakenly confused her gun for her Taser, police officials said on Monday, quickly releasing video as they tried to ease tensions in a state on edge over the Derek Chauvin trial.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/us/brooklyn-center-police-shooting-minnesota.html
statefan91
Are they similar enough that they're easily confused? I've never held a police issue taser but surprised they would be similar precisely for situations like this.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

Are they similar enough that they're easily confused? I've never held a police issue taser but surprised they would be similar precisely for situations like this.
From what I could gather, they are very similar in grip/feel, but they are required to be worn on the opposite side of the body for this very reason.

This officer didn't mean to kill anyone. But to me this is gross negligence. It's manslaughter in some degree
PackBacker07
Agree. She should be charged asap.
Y'all means ALL.
BBW12OG
PackBacker07 said:

Agree. She should be charged asap.
It was a horrible tragedy. A few points to make:

• Due process. This is America. At least for now.
  • What do you suggest charging her with "asap" when there has been no investigation?
  • Why didn't the guy follow the instructions?
  • Why did he try and flee?
  • The officer that was being trained was NOT ready for the field and it was obvious when he couldn't cuff the guy.

Knee jerk reactions and calling for her to be charged "asap" is as un-American and as expected from many. The City Manager was already fired for suggesting, "gasp", that she be given due process as stated in the United States Constitution.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/daunte-wright-shooting-brooklyn-center-city-manager-fired-call-due-process-police-officer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/12/brookly-center-mayor-police-control/

As far as the grips, weight, size etc. of the tasers used by the LEOs they are eerily similar. They are designed that way in order for them to be used in the same manner as their service weapon albeit "less than lethal" force.

Good to see all of the BLM and SJWs out the last few days honoring the death by looting the Foot Locker, Dollar General and T Mobile store. Nothing says justice like a fresh pair of kicks and a new phone.

The media was frothing at the mouth when this happened. Nothing drives viewership like a good ol' police shooting an innocent, defenseless black man.

Where was this same outrage when the two girls in DC killed the Pakistani Uber driver? Or when the three officers in Georgia were shot? Or when the family in South Carolina, all white, were killed by a black man including a 6 year old and a 9 year old?

Didn't fit the narrative.

Welcome to the United States of America today.
dogplasma
Only guessing, but this seems like it would result in an involuntary manslaughter charge. Definitely not an intentional killing but when your job is to keep track of your gun and your taser, this sure seems like criminal negligence. Although I too am surprised that tasers and guns would have a similar look and feel.
TopsailWolf
Why would anyone want to be a police officer?
BBW12OG
To answer your question I have no idea. When every news channel outside of Fox has vilified the police since Dear Leader was in office I have no idea why anyone would want to be a police officer. Especially white males. They are already viewed as vile, evil racists. Throw a uniform and a badge on them they are targets for lawsuits, false accusations and everything else they can be accused of.

I'm not say there aren't bad cops. There are. Of all races and BOTH sexes. The scrutiny and undue judgement placed on them by the MSM, the left and it's politicians has exacerbated the problem. They have succeeded in further dividing the country with this blue print.

This is what the left is all about.

Case in point. Imagine thinking so highly of yourself, your "status" that you make a statement like this.

Oh...she was tweeting this from behind the fence, armed National Guard troops while also being guarded by the Capital Police.

"Good for me...but not for thee..."

Dear Leader has also chimed in and declared it is time to "re-imagine" the police. Sure... clean up Chicago Dear Leader. Show us how it is done. Rather than stoking the flames of racial discord try and do something you have never done. Unite us rather than divide us.

PackBacker07
  • Due process. This is America. At least for now. Sure. ASAP can be defined as such.
  • What do you suggest charging her with "asap" when there has been no investigation? Involuntary manslaughter.
  • Why didn't the guy follow the instructions? This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased.
  • Why did he try and flee? This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased.
  • The officer that was being trained was NOT ready for the field and it was obvious when he couldn't cuff the guy. This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased. She shot and killed someone, most likely accidentally, but there are consequences for accidental murders. And semi-related, the officer who shot this poor fellow is a veteran of the force for 26 years.

You are now free to continue your rant on the United States.
Y'all means ALL.
PackBacker07
"Where was this same outrage when the two girls in DC killed the Pakistani Uber driver? Or when the three officers in Georgia were shot? Or when the family in South Carolina, all white, were killed by a black man including a 6 year old and a 9 year old?"

I saw a lot of coverage on these events. Perhaps you are subscribing to information channels that dwell on grievance, projection politics.
Y'all means ALL.
hokiewolf
PackBacker07 said:

• Due process. This is America. At least for now. Sure. ASAP can be defined as such.
  • What do you suggest charging her with "asap" when there has been no investigation? Involuntary manslaughter.
  • Why didn't the guy follow the instructions? This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased.
  • Why did he try and flee? This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased.
  • The officer that was being trained was NOT ready for the field and it was obvious when he couldn't cuff the guy. This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased. She shot and killed someone, most likely accidentally, but there are consequences for accidental murders.

Agree, but I have to wonder what this guy was thinking (not blaming him) because there was no good outcome from trying to run. It just gets worse from additional charges to getting killed. There's no good outcome from trying to run.
PackBacker07
I agree with you. IMO how we train police is the major issue today. Why immediately reach for a deadly weapon? Why always shoot to kill? etc, etc. As with most stories in today's media, I don't believe there are cut and dry answers nor one, singular cause for anything.
Y'all means ALL.
BBW12OG
PackBacker07 said:

• The officer that was being trained was NOT ready for the field and it was obvious when he couldn't cuff the guy. This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased. She shot and killed someone, most likely accidentally, but there are consequences for accidental murders. And semi-related, she was a veteran of the force for 26 years. We need to seriously reform police training in this country if you are "NOT ready for the field" after 26 years.

This is exactly what is wrong with our country today. You keep saying "This isn't relevant to why he was shot instead of tased" meaning you already have come to the conclusion without any more information than the rest of us have that the officer lied when she said she didn't know she had her gun.

You are doing the same thing as the talking media heads to fit your narrative and further divide the country. Fanning the flames. Typical.

Let's go over what we definitely know. The guy that got shot was pulled for just cause, failed to obey the officers, argued with the officers, resisted arrest, broke free from a BLACK officer, jumped in his car and fled the scene.

But yet you claim that this isn't relevant to why he is dead? Seriously. Did you type that with a straight face or are you purposely trying to be obtuse?

Rule of thumb. Obey officers' requests and you won't have any issues 99.9% of the time. Have warrants out for your arrest, act like a jerk to the officers, resist arrest and attempt to flee and you may end up on the business end of a taser or in this case, by what appears to be a mistake, a gun.

Take out of the equation the actions from the guy that got shot and guess what? He's in jail today instead of dead.

Like it or not those are the facts. I know the left has issues with the facts these days since they are in power but you will have a hell of a hard time twisting these to fit your narrative. I'm sure you will try.

Good luck with that.
hokiewolf
I'm a little confused, are you saying the actions of the officers didn't lead to this guy dying? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are consequences to actions, whether you meant to do it or not. And the actions of BOTH parties lead to a deadly encounter but that does not eliminate the blame on the police side of the equation with respect to a criminal act.

I have a question - What if the cops just let him run away? They have his name, and he now will have a felony warrant so why not just let him run and catch him later? Why escalate the situation into a struggle?
packgrad
hokiewolf said:

I'm a little confused, are you saying the actions of the officers didn't lead to this guy dying? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are consequences to actions, whether you meant to do it or not. And the actions of BOTH parties lead to a deadly encounter but that does not eliminate the blame on the police side of the equation with respect to a criminal act.

I have a question - What if the cops just let him run away? They have his name, and he now will have a felony warrant so why not just let him run and catch him later? Why escalate the situation into a struggle?

Catch and release is working wonderfully on the border. Good idea.
dogplasma
My first thought was to wonder why even try to tase him to begin with, but it sounds like he was trying to get back into his car after having resisted arrest. I'm sure the officers didn't know what might have been inside the car at that point. Should they have just let him get back in? I don't know.

If they knew he was unarmed and then he tried to run (literally), then they should absolutely just let him go if they couldn't grab him.
hokiewolf
Hey man, at this point I'd rather have someone running around with a misdemeanor warrant and a resisting arrest warrant than them being dead and all that that seems to lead to these days
packgrad
hokiewolf said:

Hey man, at this point I'd rather have someone running around with a misdemeanor warrant and a resisting arrest warrant than them being dead and all that that seems to lead to these days

So what happens when you go to arrest him later for the felony warrant and he resists again? Just let him go so as not "to escalate" the situation?
hokiewolf
No, generally you leave it to fugitive capture squads who tend to have better tactics and training.
packgrad
hokiewolf said:

No, generally you leave it to fugitive capture squads who tend to have better tactics and training.

That's a lot of police to militarize when we start letting everyone go that resists arrest.
BBW12OG
hokiewolf said:

No. I never said that. I agree both parties own this. The officer should have had the where with all to realize what she had in her hand. Now be it she may have had adrenaline pumping and when the guy that got shot resisted arrest, ran back into his car not a single person here can say how he/she would react and that is possibly the case with her.

With all the crap the police officers have been through since Dear Leader basically called them all criminals and white supremacists the job of Police Officer has taken a different persona. He did nothing to help them and is doing nothing but fanning the flames of division again today.

Why not let him run? Well.... he already had numerous outstanding warrants for his arrest so I'm fairly certain it is SOP to detain a person who has already run afoul of the law several times and is a proven flight risk.

As far as the officer discharging her gun instead of a taser that is something she will have to deal with forever. She made a mistake and I believe in letting due process play out unlike many lefties who have already had the trial, found her guilty and are ready for the hanging.

To address the individual that got shot... he's posted videos of himself flashing gang signs, brandishing a .45 caliber "illegally" obtained pistol and had drugs all around him. We don't know if he was in a database as a gang member or not. If he was it wouldn't be surprising.

In a split second he could have pulled a gun and killed all of the officers and been gone. Would he have eventually gotten caught? Yes. Would you or anyone else be willing to take the chance in a possible life or death scenario?

But you know, he was a good kid. Loved his mom, grandma, etc..... was a good dad, uncle etc....At 20 he had big dreams you know.

Yeah...he posted them on Facebook.

Just like the rioters, looters and thugs that terrorized the streets last night who I'm sure are all "good kids" the black community needs to step up, admonish these behaviors and take responsibility for accepting this as normal.

Don't harp on "well a black kid got shot." You don't think white kids get shot? You don't think police shoot unarmed white people?

The difference is how it is portrayed in the media and how it is digested by the community. Nothing says "fire sale" like a police shooting. Facts be damned... gotta get me some new shoes, TVs, phones, purses...etc...

God help us all if Chauvin isn't convicted and hung on the steps of the Minneapolis Court House minutes after the verdict is read.

This was nothing but a "trial run" for what is coming if he is not fully convicted.

Way to go lefties....way to go. You wanted to make the police the enemy. You succeeded with your media partners. Now you get to reap the benefits.
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

hokiewolf said:

No. I never said that. I agree both parties own this. The officer should have had the where with all to realize what she had in her hand. Now be it she may have had adrenaline pumping and when the guy that got shot resisted arrest, ran back into his car not a single person here can say how he/she would react and that is possibly the case with her.

With all the crap the police officers have been through since Dear Leader basically called them all criminals and white supremacists the job of Police Officer has taken a different persona. He did nothing to help them and is doing nothing but fanning the flames of division again today.

Why not let him run? Well.... he already had numerous outstanding warrants for his arrest so I'm fairly certain it is SOP to detain a person who has already run afoul of the law several times and is a proven flight risk.

As far as the officer discharging her gun instead of a taser that is something she will have to deal with forever. She made a mistake and I believe in letting due process play out unlike many lefties who have already had the trial, found her guilty and are ready for the hanging.

To address the individual that got shot... he's posted videos of himself flashing gang signs, brandishing a .45 caliber "illegally" obtained pistol and had drugs all around him. We don't know if he was in a database as a gang member or not. If he was it wouldn't be surprising.

In a split second he could have pulled a gun and killed all of the officers and been gone. Would he have eventually gotten caught? Yes. Would you or anyone else be willing to take the chance in a possible life or death scenario?

But you know, he was a good kid. Loved his mom, grandma, etc..... was a good dad, uncle etc....At 20 he had big dreams you know.

Yeah...he posted them on Facebook.

Just like the rioters, looters and thugs that terrorized the streets last night who I'm sure are all "good kids" the black community needs to step up, admonish these behaviors and take responsibility for accepting this as normal.

Don't harp on "well a black kid got shot." You don't think white kids get shot? You don't think police shoot unarmed white people?

The difference is how it is portrayed in the media and how it is digested by the community. Nothing says "fire sale" like a police shooting. Facts be damned... gotta get me some new shoes, TVs, phones, purses...etc...

God help us all if Chauvin isn't convicted and hung on the steps of the Minneapolis Court House minutes after the verdict is read.

This was nothing but a "trial run" for what is coming if he is not fully convicted.

Way to go lefties....way to go. You wanted to make the police the enemy. You succeeded with your media partners. Now you get to reap the benefits.
For someone who doesn't want to be judged or the leftists to convict the officer without due process, you sure have put a lot of judgement into what a 20 year old posts on Facebook with the respect to their character.
BBW12OG
Quote:

For someone who doesn't want to be judged or the leftists to convict the officer without due process, you sure have put a lot of judgement into what a 20 year old posts on Facebook with the respect to their character.

Seriously? Wow.....Here is what I based my comments on from what I saw on his Facebook post:

• 20 year old kid with a .45 Caliber pistol which he is not old enough to purchase/own
  • Flashing KNOWN gang sings for the area
  • Flashing "stacks of cash"
  • Drugs/paraphernalia all over his Facebook pics
  • UNEMPLOYED
  • Numerous outstanding warrants including at least ( 2 ) failure to appears
  • Video shows him arguing with the officers, resisting arrest, jumping in his car and driving away

What would your determination be about this "fine outstanding individual?"

You can dress it up however you want just to be contrarian. I get it. You have tried to debate with me before and it didn't work out so well for you.

Your comment reminds me of CNN standing in front of burning buildings while the chyron at the bottom read "peaceful protests."

Again... everyone knows who this kid was. There are thousands like him all over the country. It's embraced by many in their culture and that's all they ever strive to be. Until that changes this won't be the last story we read like this.

But at the end of the day. He was a good kid that just liked to break the law, argue with LEOs, resist arrest, fail to show up for his court dates, brandished an illegal .45 caliber pistol while flashing money, drugs etc all over social media... meanwhile having zero discernible employment history.

Damn....sounds like most of our very own childhoods right Hokie?
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

Quote:

Seriously? Wow.....Here is what I based my comments on from what I saw on his Facebook post:

• 20 year old kid with a .45 Caliber pistol which he is not old enough to purchase/own
  • Flashing KNOWN gang sings for the area
  • Flashing "stacks of cash"
  • Drugs/paraphernalia all over his Facebook pics
  • UNEMPLOYED
  • Numerous outstanding warrants including at least ( 2 ) failure to appears
  • Video shows him arguing with the officers, resisting arrest, jumping in his car and driving away

What would your determination be about this "fine outstanding individual?"

You can dress it up however you want just to be contrarian. I get it. You have tried to debate with me before and it didn't work out so well for you.

Your comment reminds me of CNN standing in front of burning buildings while the chyron at the bottom read "peaceful protests."

Again... everyone knows who this kid was. There are thousands like him all over the country. It's embraced by many in their culture and that's all they ever strive to be. Until that changes this won't be the last story we read like this.

But at the end of the day. He was a good kid that just liked to break the law, argue with LEOs, resist arrest, fail to show up for his court dates, brandished an illegal .45 caliber pistol while flashing money, drugs etc all over social media... meanwhile having zero discernible employment history.

Damn....sounds like most of our very own childhoods right Hokie?
None of what you stated above makes me think this kid deserved to die
packgrad
To be clear, it's ok to judge "police" based on individual actions, but not an individual on individual actions. lol. This country is going to hell.
Packchem91
hokiewolf said:

Aren't those the squads so many people are screaming to get rid of?

This is a horrible tragedy. Those who want to politicize it can, and will. I don't care how much you train someone, you put them in an escalated situation, and eventually, something bad will happen. I'd want no part of being a policeman.
*And I fully recognize, and even know some folks who have gone into that line of work, in great part because of the thrill of the power.
hokiewolf
Oh I agree, there needs to be more funding for police not less.
hokiewolf
packgrad said:

To be clear, it's ok to judge "police" based on individual actions, but not an individual on individual actions. lol. This country is going to hell.
that's not true, that kid paid the ultimate price for his transgression, he doesn't get the opportunity to be judged that will be afforded that police officer.
packgrad
Packchem91 said:

hokiewolf said:

Aren't those the squads so many people are screaming to get rid of?

Those are the exact ones.
packgrad
hokiewolf said:

packgrad said:

that's not true, that kid paid the ultimate price for his transgression, he doesn't get the opportunity to be judged that will be afforded that police officer.

It's 100% true. He won't get the opportunity to go to court with a judge, but that's not what we're talking about.
BBW12OG
Liberal Logic 101....

Twist someone's words that you don't agree with in order to disparage their thoughts, opinions or statement.

Please show me where I or where anyone else has said that the guy who was shot deserved to die. I never did and neither did anyone else.

You are just trying to obfuscate the point that the left created this mess by their constant degrading, dehumanizing and villianizing the Law Enforcement Officers across this country. Dear Leader started it and the sheep that follow the left so blindly and gladly jumped on board.

Add in the Marxist BLM movement and you are getting exactly what Dear Leader wanted. To remake America and destroy the Conservative Party. He said as much.

As far as the guy who was shot. It's horrible. The officer that shot him will live with that on her conscience every day for the rest of her life. She most likely will face charges, be tried and under no circumstance will she be allowed to get off without jail time regardless of any mitigating circumstances.

She will be held up as an example.

Now where are the examples of the perpetrators going to come from?

Remember... white people are the only ones that commit hate crimes. White people are murdered all the time by POC and it is covered for a day, maybe two and it is swept away if it is serious enough, famous people or people "know" about it.

Where are the marches, protests, Presidential visits for the family in South Carolina that were murdered by a black man? Where is the outrage?

Close your eyes and imagine a black Doctor, who had opened several clinics in low income areas, a pillar of the community for 50+ years, his wife, grandchildren ages 6 and 9 along with two HVAC workers also black, being murdered by a WHITE MAN. How much media coverage would that get? Wall to freaking wall. Deny it. I dare you.

Well... that shows you where we are at as a country with the lefties and their state run media. The story in South Carolina got a day or two of coverage. Mostly because it was a former NFL player. That's it. Zilch. Nada. Nothing more.

The guy that got shot by the officer damn near may get a freaking statue erected of him. He will be deified in the media and by the lefties for days.

The MSM and their leftist overlords will make sure this country stays divided and with some of the blindly led sheep I have been exposed too I would expect no less.
Packchem91
^I told myself not to respond to you....but do you not see the irony when you complain (rightly, to a degree) about the impact of many "dehumanizing" the police....and then in teh very next paragraph calling the former POTUS "Dear Leader"?

I don't care for Obama at all. But if you want to be respected, speak with respect....and calling someone "Dear Leader" and all you infer when you do that, hardly is a good starting point. Its really the core of the issue we have in America now, where everything has to be divisive and "branded"

IseWolf22
BBW, you are literally the only one here bringing race into the conversation.
Stop tilting at windmills. Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo do not have accounts here.
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

Liberal Logic 101....

Twist someone's words that you don't agree with in order to disparage their thoughts, opinions or statement.

Please show me where I or where anyone else has said that the guy who was shot deserved to die. I never did and neither did anyone else.

You are just trying to obfuscate the point that the left created this mess by their constant degrading, dehumanizing and villianizing the Law Enforcement Officers across this country. Dear Leader started it and the sheep that follow the left so blindly and gladly jumped on board.

Add in the Marxist BLM movement and you are getting exactly what Dear Leader wanted. To remake America and destroy the Conservative Party. He said as much.

As far as the guy who was shot. It's horrible. The officer that shot him will live with that on her conscience every day for the rest of her life. She most likely will face charges, be tried and under no circumstance will she be allowed to get off without jail time regardless of any mitigating circumstances.

She will be held up as an example.

Now where are the examples of the perpetrators going to come from?

Remember... white people are the only ones that commit hate crimes. White people are murdered all the time by POC and it is covered for a day, maybe two and it is swept away if it is serious enough, famous people or people "know" about it.

Where are the marches, protests, Presidential visits for the family in South Carolina that were murdered by a black man? Where is the outrage?

Close your eyes and imagine a black Doctor, who had opened several clinics in low income areas, a pillar of the community for 50+ years, his wife, grandchildren ages 6 and 9 along with two HVAC workers also black, being murdered by a WHITE MAN. How much media coverage would that get? Wall to freaking wall. Deny it. I dare you.

Well... that shows you where we are at as a country with the lefties and their state run media. The story in South Carolina got a day or two of coverage. Mostly because it was a former NFL player. That's it. Zilch. Nada. Nothing more.

The guy that got shot by the officer damn near may get a freaking statue erected of him. He will be deified in the media and by the lefties for days.

The MSM and their leftist overlords will make sure this country stays divided and with some of the blindly led sheep I have been exposed too I would expect no less.
calm down Hannity, I didn't twist your words, you presented an argument that the kid was some sort of bad person and I just simply stated none of that matters. We collectively have to figure out a different way of doing things, because clearly continuing the path we're currently running ain't working.
hokiewolf
No discourse in discussion anymore

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.