Minnesota Officer Who Shot Daunte Wright Meant to Fire Taser

62,980 Views | 659 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by hokiewolf
cowboypack02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just in case you didn't think that people would harass jurors

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/550064-judge-orders-chauvin-juror-names-sealed-citing-risk-of-harassment?amp&__twitter_impression=true
FlossyDFlynt
IseWolf22 said:

pineknollshoresking said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Where are the people like this? Civ, Isle, Hokie...

Dean Alfange, a progressive and labor activist, wrote the following 163 words as first published in Reader's Digest in 1952:

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek to develop whatever talents God gave menot security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say 'This, with God's help, I have done.' All this is what it means to be an American."
I'm not sure why you think this applies to me. On the vast majority of issues I'm for little to no intervention from the state. The things we generally argue about are areas where conservatives want more state power and not less. I'd argue I'm one of the biggest proponents of small government on this board.
What areas do you have a smaller government mindset than other outspoken people on here?
Military spending, war on drugs, immigration, police reform, free trade, pro section 230, etc.
elaborate on each...

To preface this, you may think these positions are wrong, and that's OK, but I think they still qualify as more "small government" than the standard conservative position today.

Military spending - Cut it. Less troops abroad. Higher standards for intervention. Spend less on defense contractors.
War on Drugs - the government shouldn't care what you put in your body. I am the ultimate authority on my own body. Decriminalize substance abuse and you cut down on enforcement costs and incarceration
Immigration - Make it easy to enter the country legally. A wall is a massive government project. Spend less on ICE
Police reform - police are literally the Government's armed enforcement of laws. The loss of life and liberty by the state needs to be viewed with extreme scrutiny
Free trade - voluntary exchanges of goods and services make both parties more wealthy. It doesn't matter of the other county has tariffs, tariffs are just a tax on your own population and drives up the cost of goods
Section 230 - I dont want the government policing speech on a privately owned platform, no matter how much I disagree with their moderation decisions
Actually, I respect your points. I think those words would come out of my mouth as well.

Military Spending - I completely agree; however, I'm not sure that is where the real money is. Being in the Military is like being a tenured teacher when it comes to benefits. I'm not sure what to do there...

War on Drugs - the problem we have here is our health system. If we can get the government 100% out of healthcare, then I can support your view 100%

Immigration - I agree, make it easier for legal immigration; however, stop illegal immigration. To me, both are American workers killers.

Police reform - on the surface, it's easy to want to do reforms, based on today's rhetoric; however, the system has been co-opted by woke local public figures that it's hard to figure where to start.

Free trade - that one bothers me. I agree with the premise; however, what China (the CCP) has done to us is extremely scary. I say done to us; however, we had willing participants. In fact, they are wanting to move the world currency standard to something like a crypto currency. If that happens, the US could, and probably will, see a dire future.

Section 230 - I get what you are saying... let me ask this? Do you think companies, like Google, are too big? Too much control? What do you do when a company like DuckDuckGo, Google, Bing, etc.. intentionally suppresses results of indexed sites they don't agree with.
Military - It's ~15% of the total federal budget, ~50% of discretionary spending. The real expense is not solider salaries and benefits, it's defense contractors. A single Tomahawk missile is $1 million. We spend about as much as the next 10 countries combined. We subsidize defense for the rest of the world.

War on Drugs - The healthcare expenses from drug use are much smaller than the what we spend to incarcerate drug users and fight trafficking. I'd also argue that the drug war drives up prices, benefiting the cartels south of us and destabilizes those countries, driving more migrants to the US.

Immigration - I don't think you can really stop illegal immigration. Visa overstays don't get the press of the southern border, but many years they outnumber border crossings. And I don't think you can deport everyone already here. I'd rather have all of them legal and working.

Police reform - I agree it's been tainted by the current state of discourse. However there are many race neutral reforms we could pursue. You've said that you like John Stossel, you could start with his views on police reform

Trade - This is an entire thread in itself. But to boil it down, I don't think a bad outcome is possible when two entities willingly exchange money for goods. Consumer surplus is created and total wealth increases.

230 - I do think big tech is too big, but that's only because we all still use their services. There are literally 100s of social media sites. People can and should abandon the big players if they are acting badly. Let the market decide. I do have some sympathy for the idea that we should allow free speech on platforms, but I've yet to see a single proposal that get's us there without unintended consequences. I try to view new laws with the assumption that at some point, my worst enemy will be in charge. In that scenario I have yet to see something better than the status quo, which is to allow platforms to moderate themselves as they see fit

I still think this is the best thing I have heard in the past year with regards to police reform.

Now, that being said, I dont think its feasible given how department budgets are currently done, but to me, its a decent start to the conversation.

TheStorm
What is the deal with all of these Asian hate crimes in NYC? White men need to get over themselves... there is no place for that kind of behavior in this country...
jkpackfan
TheStorm said:

What is the deal with all of these Asian hate crimes in NYC? White men need to get over themselves... there is no place for that kind of behavior in this country...
It's not just white men but keep on telling yourself that

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/983002295/suspect-arrested-on-hate-crime-charges-over-attack-on-asian-woman-in-manhattan
Mormad
Sounds like he was successfully rehabilitated after serving time for killing his mom in '02
BBW12OG
Are these situations you lefties want to send in "social workers" to handle?

packgrad
With proper deescalation training, the bystanders could have had the pugilists shaking hands by the end.
BBW12OG
I guess this is where the "community policing" aspect really works!
TheStorm
jkpackfan said:

TheStorm said:

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/983002295/suspect-arrested-on-hate-crime-charges-over-attack-on-asian-woman-in-manhattan
My fault then... I just assumed that it had to be a white man (and more specifically a republican white man) since they are known to be automatically racist - even if they aren't...

I do wonder where all this reported Asian-hate comes from though all of a sudden? I've never given it a passing thought if I'm being honest... but it must be out there somewhere though, because Biden just passed a resolution about it... and I hear they talk about it on CNN and everything.
ncsualum05
Asian hate is on the rise? Why? Is that real or just more story lines from media? I honestly don't know and haven't kept up.
packgrad
A white man shot up an Asian massage parlor a couple/few weeks ago so a narrative is being written. Not that there isn't violence against Asian Americans. But who they're trying to frame as those perpetuating the violence.
hokiewolf
TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

TheStorm said:

My fault then... I just assumed that it had to be a white man (and more specifically a republican white man) since they are known to be automatically racist - even if they aren't...

I do wonder where all this reported Asian-hate comes from though all of a sudden? I've never given it a passing thought if I'm being honest... but it must be out there somewhere though, because Biden just passed a resolution about it... and I hear they talk about it on CNN and everything.
Since racism is systemic, then you are still ok to blame white republicans
Originator of the Tony Adams Scale
hokiewolf
BBW12OG said:

Are these situations you lefties want to send in "social workers" to handle?

That's Miami man, that's a whole different world down there. Although it's pretty damn ironic that this happened in front of Billy Corben.
ncsualum05
packgrad said:

A white man shot up an Asian massage parlor a couple/few weeks ago so a narrative is being written. Not that there isn't violence against Asian Americans. But who they're trying to frame as those perpetuating the violence.
Ohhh yeah I remember that story. Wow is that what this is about? That guy was sex addict who went insane I thought... I mean Asian massage parlor... you know? That case bared out to not be racially motivated I thought. But I guess a narrative was adopted like with everything else. But just in case anyone is confused and to be clear I don't believe in any hate against anyone Asian, Black, or White.
Civilized
ncsualum05 said:

packgrad said:

Ohhh yeah I remember that story. Wow is that what this is about? That guy was sex addict who went insane I thought... I mean Asian massage parlor... you know? That case bared out to not be racially motivated I thought. But I guess a narrative was adopted like with everything else. But just in case anyone is confused and to be clear I don't believe in any hate against anyone Asian, Black, or White.

What did these Asian masseuses have to do with his sex addiction?
packgrad
What does an Asian massage parlor have to do with sex addiction? Seriously?
jkpackfan
TheStorm said:

jkpackfan said:

TheStorm said:

Haha, gotcha, I missed the sarcasm. My bad
packgrad

ncsualum05
Civilized said:

ncsualum05 said:

packgrad said:

You serious?
BBW12OG
Civilized said:

ncsualum05 said:

packgrad said:

IseWolf22

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Dean Alfange, a progressive and labor activist, wrote the following 163 words as first published in Reader's Digest in 1952:

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon. I seek to develop whatever talents God gave menot security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any earthly master nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say 'This, with God's help, I have done.' All this is what it means to be an American."
I'm not sure why you think this applies to me. On the vast majority of issues I'm for little to no intervention from the state. The things we generally argue about are areas where conservatives want more state power and not less. I'd argue I'm one of the biggest proponents of small government on this board.
What areas do you have a smaller government mindset than other outspoken people on here?
Military spending, war on drugs, immigration, police reform, free trade, pro section 230, etc.
elaborate on each...

To preface this, you may think these positions are wrong, and that's OK, but I think they still qualify as more "small government" than the standard conservative position today.

Military spending - Cut it. Less troops abroad. Higher standards for intervention. Spend less on defense contractors.
War on Drugs - the government shouldn't care what you put in your body. I am the ultimate authority on my own body. Decriminalize substance abuse and you cut down on enforcement costs and incarceration
Immigration - Make it easy to enter the country legally. A wall is a massive government project. Spend less on ICE
Police reform - police are literally the Government's armed enforcement of laws. The loss of life and liberty by the state needs to be viewed with extreme scrutiny
Free trade - voluntary exchanges of goods and services make both parties more wealthy. It doesn't matter of the other county has tariffs, tariffs are just a tax on your own population and drives up the cost of goods
Section 230 - I dont want the government policing speech on a privately owned platform, no matter how much I disagree with their moderation decisions
Actually, I respect your points. I think those words would come out of my mouth as well.

Military Spending - I completely agree; however, I'm not sure that is where the real money is. Being in the Military is like being a tenured teacher when it comes to benefits. I'm not sure what to do there...

War on Drugs - the problem we have here is our health system. If we can get the government 100% out of healthcare, then I can support your view 100%

Immigration - I agree, make it easier for legal immigration; however, stop illegal immigration. To me, both are American workers killers.

Police reform - on the surface, it's easy to want to do reforms, based on today's rhetoric; however, the system has been co-opted by woke local public figures that it's hard to figure where to start.

Free trade - that one bothers me. I agree with the premise; however, what China (the CCP) has done to us is extremely scary. I say done to us; however, we had willing participants. In fact, they are wanting to move the world currency standard to something like a crypto currency. If that happens, the US could, and probably will, see a dire future.

Section 230 - I get what you are saying... let me ask this? Do you think companies, like Google, are too big? Too much control? What do you do when a company like DuckDuckGo, Google, Bing, etc.. intentionally suppresses results of indexed sites they don't agree with.
Military - It's ~15% of the total federal budget, ~50% of discretionary spending. The real expense is not solider salaries and benefits, it's defense contractors. A single Tomahawk missile is $1 million. We spend about as much as the next 10 countries combined. We subsidize defense for the rest of the world.

War on Drugs - The healthcare expenses from drug use are much smaller than the what we spend to incarcerate drug users and fight trafficking. I'd also argue that the drug war drives up prices, benefiting the cartels south of us and destabilizes those countries, driving more migrants to the US.

Immigration - I don't think you can really stop illegal immigration. Visa overstays don't get the press of the southern border, but many years they outnumber border crossings. And I don't think you can deport everyone already here. I'd rather have all of them legal and working.

Police reform - I agree it's been tainted by the current state of discourse. However there are many race neutral reforms we could pursue. You've said that you like John Stossel, you could start with his views on police reform

Trade - This is an entire thread in itself. But to boil it down, I don't think a bad outcome is possible when two entities willingly exchange money for goods. Consumer surplus is created and total wealth increases.

230 - I do think big tech is too big, but that's only because we all still use their services. There are literally 100s of social media sites. People can and should abandon the big players if they are acting badly. Let the market decide. I do have some sympathy for the idea that we should allow free speech on platforms, but I've yet to see a single proposal that get's us there without unintended consequences. I try to view new laws with the assumption that at some point, my worst enemy will be in charge. In that scenario I have yet to see something better than the status quo, which is to allow platforms to moderate themselves as they see fit

Military - I'm comfortable with it being 15% of our budget. That being said, I would definitely consider pulling troops out of most of the locations we are in. The cost of defense missiles, well I don't know if the prices are fair or not. Nonetheless, it should be reviewed and I think we have to keep our defense capabilities extremely high.

War on Drugs - regardless of the healthcare expenses as it relates to drugs, we have to get the federal government out of health care! Would you consider a much stronger penalty for driving or anything else if one affects another when the one is using?

Immigration - I'm not expecting to stop illegal immigration 100%. We do need to do everything possible to stop it! I view this as a jobs issues for US citizens!

Police reform - I'll look at John Stossel's views.

Trade - I would ask you to do some research on China. Perhaps, start with the documentary "Death by China". It's older now; so, things have only gotten worse.

230 - what you have to be concerned about is internet access. If the ISP starts moderating and/or filtering content, then that is a problem. We do have competition; however, the companies are all big. My guess, which I'm not sure if this is good, is that congress will classify them as utilities and regulate them.
Military - "High" budget. Sure. Higher than the next 10 countries combined? That's crossing into absurd
WoD - No problems with criminal penalties for use while driving, shooting, or operating heavy machinery
Trade - I'm quite familiar with China. They are a real life example of authoritarianism at it's worse. I still don't think tariffs work. They punish your own population more than the other country.
230 - There is a good argument to be made to treat ISPs as a utility. Not so for social media
IseWolf22
FlossyDFlynt said:

I still think this is the best thing I have heard in the past year with regards to police reform.

Now, that being said, I dont think its feasible given how department budgets are currently done, but to me, its a decent start to the conversation.

I agree with 95% of what he said.
caryking
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

elaborate on each...

Military - I'm comfortable with it being 15% of our budget. That being said, I would definitely consider pulling troops out of most of the locations we are in. The cost of defense missiles, well I don't know if the prices are fair or not. Nonetheless, it should be reviewed and I think we have to keep our defense capabilities extremely high.

War on Drugs - regardless of the healthcare expenses as it relates to drugs, we have to get the federal government out of health care! Would you consider a much stronger penalty for driving or anything else if one affects another when the one is using?

Immigration - I'm not expecting to stop illegal immigration 100%. We do need to do everything possible to stop it! I view this as a jobs issues for US citizens!

Police reform - I'll look at John Stossel's views.

Trade - I would ask you to do some research on China. Perhaps, start with the documentary "Death by China". It's older now; so, things have only gotten worse.

230 - what you have to be concerned about is internet access. If the ISP starts moderating and/or filtering content, then that is a problem. We do have competition; however, the companies are all big. My guess, which I'm not sure if this is good, is that congress will classify them as utilities and regulate them.
Military - "High" budget. Sure. Higher than the next 10 countries combined? That's crossing into absurd
WoD - No problems with criminal penalties for use while driving, shooting, or operating heavy machinery
Trade - I'm quite familiar with China. They are a real life example of authoritarianism at it's worse. I still don't think tariffs work. They punish your own population more than the other country.
230 - There is a good argument to be made to treat ISPs as a utility. Not so for social media
Here is where are in trouble with slowing military spend... Taiwan is a major world chip manufacturer. Essential Silicon Valley West. I Being that this industry has been outsourced over there, Thaiwan now becomes of National Interest to us.

Now, look at what China is saying they want to do.. kind of the same as Hong Kong. We have no choice but to defend them, from China, for all types of reasons. What would I truly like? Return the manufacturing back home, then allow that issues to work itself out; however, that's not where we are right now.

Also, be careful what you ask for with free trade. If and when, China does move on Taiwan, we have to protect of interest. China will not do us any favors with control over our technology.

Also, look at China's push right now to move the world away from the dollar and to some type of Bitcoin. Based on what I read, if we were to decouple the dollar from the Hong Kong dollar, this would put China on the run, before they can take action.
BBW12OG
Not sure where to put this so I'll post it on both threads.

Now let's see all the anti-police posters defend this piece of ***** I'm sure with the SOCIALIST run city this guy will be released immediately if they even are allowed to arrest him.

Civilized
BBW12OG said:

Not sure where to put this so I'll post it on both threads.

Now let's see all the anti-police posters defend this piece of ***** I'm sure with the SOCIALIST run city this guy will be released immediately if they even are allowed to arrest him.

This is where you lose people BBW.

Nobody on this board is going to defend a cop being attacked. Nobody.

You acting like they would or that they think attacking a cop is OK since it's in support of some strawman SOCIALIST anti-cop agenda is completely ridiculous.

Wanting to see increased accountability in policing and ultimately far fewer Americans killed by cops is not an anti-cop stance. If cops engage with Americans in less violent ways, or with decreased frequency, they are safer also. Everybody wins.
packgrad
How many fewer should it be? You keep saying it should be far fewer but have yet to substantiate that claim. It sounds like a leftist talking point. Why shouldn't there have been far more shootings?

Ultimately if people don't resist arrest, there is less reason for police to engage with Americans in violent ways, or with decreased frequency, and the citizens are safer too. Everybody wins.
Civilized
packgrad said:

How many fewer should it be? You keep saying it should be far fewer but have yet to substantiate that claim. It sounds like a leftist talking point. Why shouldn't there have been far more shootings?

Ultimately if people don't resist arrest, there is less reason for police to engage with Americans in violent ways, or with decreased frequency, and the citizens are safer too. Everybody wins.

Why shouldn't it be more?

For starters because we are worst in the developed world by a large factor.

Secondly because there are clear ways to reduce violent interactions with cops and some departments around the country that have already started implementing them have shown very good early results.

Third because 1100 Americans dying at the hands of cops isn't good for Americans or cops and in virtually every situation in life you can improve outcomes with appropriate time, analysis, and resources.

As for what the target should be, cutting the number of killings by half seems like a reasonable starting point. We'd still be worst in the developed world but that's 550 American lives saved every year and maybe more importantly could have important long-term ancillary benefits like increasing trust in policing in communities where that relationship has historically been strained because of what has been viewed as overly aggressive or violent policing tactics.

As a related aside, the benefit of amendments to qualified immunity and increases in de-escalation training aren't limited to fewer Americans dying at the hands of cops every year; non-fatal violent encounters with police dwarf the number of fatal encounters. There would also be a reduction in non-fatal violent encounters which since they are much more frequent than fatal encounters probably have just as much capacity to impact perceptions of policing in American communities as a reduction in fatal encounters.
packgrad
Civilized said:

packgrad said:

Why shouldn't it be more?

For starters because we are worst in the developed world by a large factor.

Secondly because there are clear ways to reduce violent interactions with cops and some departments around the country that have already started implementing them have shown very good early results.

Third because 1100 Americans dying at the hands of cops isn't good for Americans or cops and in virtually every situation in life you can improve outcomes with appropriate time, analysis, and resources.

As for what the target should be, cutting the number of killings by half seems like a reasonable starting point. We'd still be worst in the developed world but that's 550 American lives saved every year and maybe more importantly could have important long-term ancillary benefits like increasing trust in policing in communities where that relationship has historically been strained because of what has been viewed as overly aggressive or violent policing tactics.

As a related aside, the benefit of amendments to qualified immunity and increases in de-escalation training aren't limited to fewer Americans dying at the hands of cops every year; non-fatal violent encounters with police dwarf the number of fatal encounters. There would also be a reduction in non-fatal violent encounters which since they are much more frequent than fatal encounters probably have just as much capacity to impact perceptions of policing in American communities as a reduction in fatal encounters.

So basically just leftist propaganda. What other countries do is irrelevant. It's not apples to apples at all when comparing an armed public to an unarmed one.

Second, there are not proven studies that show clear ways to reduce a violent interactions with the police. There are departments that had a prescribed goal and administrator to assure they get that goal.

Third 1100 Americans dying isn't a large number at all and quite likely could/should be a much larger number.

As for the target, cutting it in half exemplifies how little respect you have for each officer and each individual situation. Saying that half of the deadly shootings were because of poor training or poor policing is typical of someone that is anti police. You have so little respect for the job that you don't appreciate how many more shootings there could/should be and just assume from your comfortable desk job there should be "far fewer". Also, allowing fugitives to run free has not created more trust in communities like Baltimore after Freddy Gray. At some point leftist will have to realize the issue is not with the police. But they're too busy telling communities they are not responsible for their actions. The man is. And the man will fix it for them.

As a related aside, qualified immunity has nothing to do with shooting deaths. Deescalation training is already being done. The guy in Atlanta had deescalation training 2 weeks before his shooting. What more training specifically can they do?

As a further aside, those that respect the police know how to refer to them. Those that don't use slang, especially when trying to accentuate a negative viewpoint as it pertains to the police.
hokiewolf
This is where I have trouble with your argument, because I don't find any number acceptable for the amount of people who die during a police encounter or in custody. Again, I don't care about race, I care about making sure that policing is looked at and continually improved upon to try and eliminate these deaths as much as possible.

This is basically the same argument that I've seen in the construction industry over the last 20 years and frankly it's bunk. You strive for zero, you're probably never going to reach it, but to sit there and say any number of death is acceptable is just crazy to me.
packgrad
hokiewolf said:

This is where I have trouble with your argument, because I don't find any number acceptable for the amount of people who die during a police encounter or in custody. Again, I don't care about race, I care about making sure that policing is looked at and continually improved upon to try and eliminate these deaths as much as possible.

This is basically the same argument that I've seen in the construction industry over the last 20 years and frankly it's bunk. You strive for zero, you're probably never going to reach it, but to sit there and say any number of death is acceptable is just crazy to me.

That's all great in a sunshine and rainbow world, but in the real world you understand that sometimes death happens. Death is most definitely acceptable, especially when you're dealing with people that are trying to kill you. Arm chair quarterbacking and saying no death is acceptable is not in the realm of reasonable expectation.
hokiewolf
packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

That's all great in a sunshine and rainbow world, but in the real world you understand that sometimes death happens. Death is most definitely acceptable, especially when you're dealing with people that are trying to kill you. Arm chair quarterbacking and saying no death is acceptable is not in the realm of reasonable expectation.
I understand that, but to sit there and say that theres this acceptable number out there is straight out of the 19th century. For instance, when the Hoover Dam was built, there was an estimate on the acceptable number of deaths during construction. That is not the practice in todays world. This is essentially what your saying here, there's nothing that can be done to try and lower the amount of deaths is admitting defeat.
PackPA2015
packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

I think they are saying, why can't we at least try to lower the amount of deaths at the hands of the police? They need to be tracked, first. Study the situations in depth and try to learn from each one. If it truly is a civilian issue, how do we attempt to try to help in those situations? How do we attempt to change the reputation or view of police in those communities? If their is training that can be improved or added, why wouldn't you want to try it and see if it works? I don't think anyone here is just trashing the police force in general. I think they are just wanting to see improvements and if we don't try, then it won't improve.

I think this is what Hokie and Civil are hinting at.

The medical community has morbidity and mortality conferences where accidental patient death cases are presented and studied in depth to try to prevent them in the future. Everyone makes mistakes in every profession, but how can we try to limit those as much as possible is always the goal.
Civilized
Completely agree Hokie.

I could understand doubting that the situation could be substantively improved if we had three deaths a year, or 30, or sadly maybe even 300 because even that large number would put us on par with Canada per capita in terms of fatalities at the hands of police.

But for the number to be 1100 Americans every single year, and then for people to describe desires to reduce that number as leftist propaganda, is crazy to me.

The only way you can come to the conclusion it's propaganda is if you literally think nothing can be done and all talk to the contrary is just political posturing. No matter how comparable or not you think we are to other nations around the world, for us to be the worst in the world by a big factor absolutely does not support the argument that there is nothing that can be done to improve the situation.

Pushing back against every suggestion that could potentially improve the problem is just being a no-monster like my youngest used to be, when she was four or five and would get in these moods where she'd just say no to everything we suggested. It's not rational analysis, and even worse nothing is offered up as an alternative suggestion.

Also nothing I've said is anti-police. Police are safer if we reduce the number of violent encounters they have with the public.
packgrad
PackPA2015 said:

packgrad said:

hokiewolf said:

I think they are saying, why can't we at least try to lower the amount of deaths at the hands of the police? They need to be tracked, first. Study the situations in depth and try to learn from each one. If it truly is a civilian issue, how do we attempt to try to help in those situations? How do we attempt to change the reputation or view of police in those communities? If their is training that can be improved or added, why wouldn't you want to try it and see if it works? I don't think anyone here is just trashing the police force in general. I think they are just wanting to see improvements and if we don't try, then it won't improve.

I think this is what Hokie and Civil are hinting at.

The medical community has morbidity and mortality conferences where accidental patient death cases are presented and studied in depth to try to prevent them in the future. Everyone makes mistakes in every profession, but how can we try to limit those as much as possible is always the goal.

I think they've done just fine on their own saying what they think. There is no one here arguing that police don't make mistakes and we shouldn't try to limit those mistakes. There are those who say arbitrary numbers are far too many. There are those saying disarming police is the solution. There are those saying let people that resist arrest run free. There are those saying partisan talking points that have nothing to do with people being shot and killed by the police. I'm saying I disagree with those. I've already said how I would improve training.

Call me crazy but if you're a no good POS that resists arrest, and you are the prescribed shade, and you actually somewhat care about your family, at this point why would you comply with police arresting you? Your family will be rich if they kill you. You'll be rich if it makes the nightly news and they don't. The left has incentivized resisting arrest for criminals.
packgrad
For somebody that cried about good faith arguments, you literally made zero effort to make one here. But please continue to lie that I've offered no solutions to training. Your solutions are partisan talking points. Deescalation, qualified immunity (which has dick to do with this), "far too many".

.00011 of all arrests use lethal force and you're saying "far too many". Math.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.