The "Flat Earth" movement - Could Establishment claims about the universe be false?

62,316 Views | 391 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by WolfpackUSC
GuerrillaPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Look..I don't have to have been in New Orleans when it happened to know what happened.

This comment right here tells you all you need to know about who you are debating/arguing with. SMH
He was insunuating that they were "not" confiscating firearms from citizens (who lawfully owned those firearms) in New Orleans after Katrina.

And he was saying that since I wasn't in New Orleans, I "don't know squat".

But they clearly DID confiscate firearms lawfully owned by citizens.

What does THAT tell you about HIM?

Who really doesn't "know squat"? If he claims he was in New Orleans when this was happening, what does THAT tell you?
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Steve Videtich
GuerrillaPack said:

Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Look..I don't have to have been in New Orleans when it happened to know what happened.

This comment right here tells you all you need to know about who you are debating/arguing with. SMH
He was insunuating that they were "not" confiscating firearms from citizens (who lawfully owned those firearms) in New Orleans after Katrina.

Who really doesn't "know squat"? If he claims he was in New Orleans when this was happening, what does THAT tell you?

Let's think about that for a second! If I want to know what happened somewhere, would I rather talk to somebody that was there or somebody that wasn't? Now, just the fact that he was there means he should have a first hand account of what happened, but it doesn't mean that he saw everything.

Your statement is that you don't have to be there to know what happened. That comes across as such as an ***hole thing to say when you're arguing with dinnertime that was there. Again, your facts are based off of things you've gotten off the internet, which is a sad state of our society. It doesn't mean it's wrong, but it doesn't mean it's factual either.

You get angry at everybody on here because they won't listen to you, or you think that they don't watch your videos. But, you're doing the same thing. You don't listen to anybody that says anything different from your beliefs.

If you believe in the Big Bang, fine it's a theory. If you believe God created man because the Bible says so, fine. I consider myself to religious, but religion is based on faith. None of us were there to know how it went down. We all have our own beliefs based on our experiences in life. But, it's quite possible that the Bible is the greatest story ever told. We don't know!

It's just that a comment like you made doesn't help your argument. It comes across as very narcissistic and that you could never be wrong.
waynecountywolf
GuerrillaPack said:

Here is short 2 minute video from ABC News showing the police and national guard going house to house in New Orleans searching for weapons, and even confiscating the firearms from those in a wealthy home. The video includes a New Orleans police spokesperson stating "No one will be able to be armed. We will take all the weapons." (1:10-1:15 in video).

But I "don't know squat".

And you were in New Orleans when this all happened? And you didn't know they were going house to house and confiscating peoples' firearms?

I am just here for the conspiracy theories
GuerrillaPack
Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Let's think about that for a second! If I want to know what happened somewhere, would I rather talk to somebody that was there or somebody that wasn't? Now, just the fact that he was there means he should have a first hand account of what happened, but it doesn't mean that he saw everything.

Your statement is that you don't have to be there to know what happened. That comes across as such as an ***hole thing to say when you're arguing with dinnertime that was there. Again, your facts are based off of things you've gotten off the internet, which is a sad state of our society. It doesn't mean it's wrong, but it doesn't mean it's factual either.

You get angry at everybody on here because they won't listen to you, or you think that they don't watch your videos. But, you're doing the same thing. You don't listen to anybody that says anything different from your beliefs.

If you believe in the Big Bang, fine it's a theory. If you believe God created man because the Bible says so, fine. I consider myself to religious, but religion is based on faith. None of us were there to know how it went down. We all have our own beliefs based on our experiences in life. But, it's quite possible that the Bible is the greatest story ever told. We don't know!

It's just that a comment like you made doesn't help your argument. It comes across as very narcissistic and that you could never be wrong.

No, I'm not angry. I'm not the one hysterically accusing other posters of being "crazy", "loony", and calling them all sorts of other names. That's what other people are doing to me. You have other people here who are very angry at me, and lashing out at me calling me all sorts of names. So you got it backwards.

And he obviously does NOT know what happened in New Orleans, if he claims to be there and is denying that citizens who lawfully owned firearms had their firearms confiscated. I don't care if he was there or not. It is highly unreasonable to say that we all had to be in New Orleans in order to know what happened. Were you there? I bet not. 99.9% of us were not there. Yet, we are able to gather information and to know what happened.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
waynecountywolf
waynecountywolf said:

I think this pretty much sums up this thread
https://instrumentofmercy.com/2020/05/07/why-your-christian-friends-and-family-members-are-so-easily-fooled-by-conspiracy-theories/
Good read for some:

#1: Conspiracy Theories Make Us Feel Special.
#2: Conspiracy Theories Help Us Make Sense of a Chaotic and Complicated World.
#3: Conspiracy Theories Make Our Reality Seem More Exciting.

"I'm talking about conspiracy theories related to false flag attacks, Deep State, Illuminati, Freemasons, QAnon, Flat Earth, shadow government, or any other belief system that hinges on the assumption that much of our lives are controlled by plots hatched in secret places by a select few individuals.

Based on my research, there are three primary reasons all people are attracted to these types of conspiracy theories. (I'll address my fellow Christian brothers and sisters in the final section).

In other words: "The masses have been fooled by the media and/or government, but I'm special and different, and I know the truth!"
While narcissism isn't a motivator for all conspiracy theorists, it does explain why some people have such a hard time letting go of a conspiracy theory even when confronted with incontrovertible proof their beliefs are wrong.
And, this is also why challenging someone's belief in a conspiracy theory is often interpreted by that person as a personal attack. No one wants to admit they've been fooled. And once you sacrificed your reputation and social capital for the sake of a conspiracy (like posting something on Facebook), it becomes harder for your ego to disengage from the illusion.
And, perhaps more damaging, conspiracy theories gradually become self-isolating echo chambers. If you ever argued with someone peddling a conspiracy theory, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

When people attach their belief in a conspiracy theory to their ego, it can be nearly impossible to convince them that they're wrong. Every piece of contrarian evidence you present to a friend or family member simply becomes part of the conspiracy and expands the scope of the deception.
That's what "They" want you to believe. If you just did some research, you'd find The Truth. All your sources are just part of the Cover-Up. You actually believe those "fact-checking" websites? I wish you'd open your eyes and not be such a sheep.
It's an insidious bit of circular logic that not only creates a criticism-proof belief system, but it also makes a twisted sort of sense.

The people most likely to believe the government is too incompetent to be trusted are often the people most likely to believe the government also has the ability to secretly orchestrate massive operations under the noses of most Americans.

Government bureaucracy is boring. Conspiracy theories are ridiculously entertaining. If you don't believe me, do a deep dive into the beliefs of Flat Earthers, 9/11 Truthers, and QAnon followers. They're intoxicatingly addictive.

Every conspiracy theory is a gateway drug to an even more ludicrous and far-reaching conspiracy theory. Once you believe the government is powerful enough to stage a fake mass shooting with "crisis actors," it doesn't take much of a leap to convince yourself they can also manufacture a virus scare to crash the U.S. economy (or vice versa).

Of the seven things the Lord finds detestable mentioned in the sixth chapter of Proverbs, "a lying tongue," "a false witness who pours out lies," and "a person who stirs conflict in the community" are included in the list.

Of course, not all Christians are conspiracy theorists (and those that are aren't all to the extent I've explored above). But there are enough Christian conspiracy theorists doing enough damage that other Christians shouldn't feel afraid to call them out. We need to hold ourselves and each other to a higher standard of objective truth.

And it's important to note that a lot of Christians share conspiracy theories out of good faith. They believe they're sharing the truth. But most conspiracy theories are rotten at the core. It's obvious they're rooted in fear, insecurity, and loneliness. And they're often designed to give us more reasons to loathe our ideological enemies.

Conspiracy theories speak to our desire to be a part of a story bigger than ourselves. And what blows my mind is that Christians should already believe that to be true. Christians shouldn't need to buy into conspiracy theories to feel special, or to make sense of the world, or to make their lives feel more exciting.

If you don't have the time nor patience to fact-check an article or video, you have no business sharing it. Because you're bearing false witness. Even if you think you're making a difference, you're deceiving other people. You're harming your witness and the witness of your community."

Or, in the words of pastor Ed Stetzer,

GuerrillaPack
waynecountywolf said:

Wow, man...you really got me. You really "disproved" what I'm saying by posting a silly picture and then re-posting that ridiculous trash article that I already destroyed.

So...were you actually in New Orleans working for FEMA? Do you approve of them confiscating the firearms of citizens who lawfully owned those firearms?
waynecountywolf

Steve Videtich
GuerrillaPack said:

Were you there? I bet not.

Lol, you're not angry at all. Did I state anywhere that I was there? Did I state anywhere that I know what happened? Did I state anywhere that you're wrong? Did I state anywhere that he was right?

99.9% of your problem on here is your presentation. You don't come across as a rational person to talk to. I love debating all kinds of topics. But, as soon as realize that the other person isn't rational, it's not fun. That's you and your presentation in a nutshell.
GoPack2008
GuerrillaPack said:

Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

No, I'm not angry. I'm not the one hysterically accusing other posters of being "crazy", "loony", and calling them all sorts of other names. That's what other people are doing to me. You have other people here who are very angry at me, and lashing out at me calling me all sorts of names. So you got it backwards.

And he obviously does NOT know what happened in New Orleans, if he claims to be there and is denying that citizens who lawfully owned firearms had their firearms confiscated. I don't care if he was there or not. It is highly unreasonable to say that we all had to be in New Orleans in order to know what happened. Were you there? I bet not. 99.9% of us were not there. Yet, we are able to gather information and to know what happened.
Does it surprise you that people call you crazy for believing, among other things, that the earth is flat?
GuerrillaPack
Steve Videtich said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Were you there? I bet not.

Lol, you're not angry at all. Did I state anywhere that I was there? Did I state anywhere that I know what happened? Did I state anywhere that you're wrong? Did I state anywhere that he was right?

99.9% of your problem on here is your presentation. You don't come across as a rational person to talk to. I love debating all kinds of topics. But, as soon as realize that the other person isn't rational, it's not fun. That's you and your presentation in a nutshell.
How about the "presentation" of others here but do nothing but attack me and call me names? I don't do that. I'm actually being civil and respectful. Maybe it's not coming across that way with what I'm typing, but that's the case.

And you were defending the proposition that we should believe waynecounty over me since he claimed to be in New Orleans.

You just posted this:

Quote:

Your statement is that you don't have to be there to know what happened. That comes across as such as an ***hole thing to say when you're arguing with dinnertime that was there.
That's why I asked if you were there. But waynecounty doesn't know something as basic as the fact that they WERE going house to house confiscating peoples' firearms. So who really knows more about what went down in New Orleans?
GuerrillaPack
GoPack2008 said:

Does it surprise you that people call you crazy for believing, among other things, that the earth is flat?
No, it doesn't. And I don't really care what they say. I'm only pointing that out because now people are accusing me of being "angry". But I'm not the one who is lashing out at other posters and calling people names. The fact of the matter is that my OPPONENTS are the ones who are being "angry" and disrespectful, and uncivil.
GuerrillaPack
Steve Videtich said:

No, you haven't posted proof. You've posted videos made by people that believe what you do. Those videos are filled with half truths and rhetoric that to a small minded person, sounds reasonable. They attack the round earth thoughts, they don't prove the flat earth model.

Round earth has photos and videos of the earth that prove it's round. Your response is that they're fake. That's the equivalent of "because I said so!" When asked for proof, there's a convenient gov't conspiracy that doesn't allow you to.
So, Steve...when you insinuated that I was a "small-minded person", does that demonstrate anger?

How was your presentation there?
Civilized
I'll give you this GP, you are the damn Jake LaMotta of IPS posters.

You come here and take flurry after flurry and never go to the mat and also don't get personal with posters as much as most people would, given all the arrows shot your way.

We may disagree but I appreciate your resilience.
GuerrillaPack
Civilized said:

I'll give you this GP, you are the damn Jake LaMotta of IPS posters.

You come here and take flurry after flurry and never go to the mat and also don't get personal with posters as much as most people would, given all the arrows shot your way.

We may disagree but I appreciate your resilience.
Thanks.
GoPack2008
GP:

I'm genuinely curious. What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread? You run into a ton of resistance, understandably. Is the hope to change minds? Genuinely curious about what motivated you to start the thread.
Steve Videtich
GuerrillaPack said:

but it doesn't mean that he saw everything.

I guess you skipped right over this part of my comment?
Steve Videtich
GuerrillaPack said:

Steve Videtich said:

No, you haven't posted proof. You've posted videos made by people that believe what you do. Those videos are filled with half truths and rhetoric that to a small minded person, sounds reasonable. They attack the round earth thoughts, they don't prove the flat earth model.

Round earth has photos and videos of the earth that prove it's round. Your response is that they're fake. That's the equivalent of "because I said so!" When asked for proof, there's a convenient gov't conspiracy that doesn't allow you to.
So, Steve...when you insinuated that I was a "small-minded person", does that demonstrate anger?

How was your presentation there?

Okay, I'll apologize for the PRESENTATION in that particular comment. That was meant as a generalization, so I apologize. No anger at all, just pointing out an observation. But, I'll admit my faults...
GuerrillaPack
GoPack2008 said:

GP:

I'm genuinely curious. What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread? You run into a ton of resistance, understandably. Is the hope to change minds? Genuinely curious about what motivated you to start the thread.
At first it may seem like cosmology is a relatively insignificant issue -- like "hey what does it matter whether the earth is stationary or moving, or what shape the earth is?". But, actually, this is an extremely important issue. And it's not only important to people like myself who who believe the Bible is true. It's also a very serious issue to atheists or non-religious people -- as seen from how staunchly they argue in favor of the "orthodox" model of the universe put forward by the scientific Establishment, and vigorously oppose those who reject the orthodox model.

Not to be overly repetitive, but since you asked and in order to answer your question...the "orthodox" model put forward by the scientific Establishment (Big Bang, evolution, heliocentric model, spherical earth) is not genuine science (that is observable and based on evidence). It is actually pure theory and specifically crafted by enemies of Christianity (Freemasons, etc) to go against what the Bible says about cosmology, for the purpose of trying to "discredit" the Bible and therefore cause people to reject the Bible as "not accurate" and "not the word of God".

So...what I'm trying to accomplish (no matter how small the audience) is to simply expose the truth about cosmology -- which will result in Christians having their "faith" in God and the Bible increased, and possibly cause those who are non-religious or atheists to change their view on the Bible as being "discredited by science". That's my primary objective -- ie, its impact upon belief in God and the Bible. But even if a person has no opinion on the Bible one way or the other, there is also just the general objective of exposing the truth about the issue "for the sake of the truth".
GoPack2008
^Got it, thanks for the sincere answer.

I assume that you, like all of us, grew up learning that the earth is round, orbits the sun, etc. At what point in your life did your views change, and how did that occur? Was it an epiphany or more of a gradual process?
GuerrillaPack
GoPack2008 said:

^Got it, thanks for the sincere answer.

I assume that you, like all of us, grew up learning that the earth is round, orbits the sun, etc. At what point in your life did your views change, and how did that occur? Was it an epiphany or more of a gradual process?
Yes, as a young man I grew up believing in a spherical earth and the heliocentric model. I went to public school as a child all the way up through high school. And, yes, despite others (not you, I don't recall) questioning this at times, I am a graduate of N.C. State University, majoring in civil engineering.

About a year after graduating from NC State, my "awakening" to the "New World Order" agenda occurred -- which caused me to do a MASSIVE amount of research into many, many related issues in the "conspiracy" field, as well research and questioning in the area of religion and other areas of life in general. Not long into that process of doing a ton of research (a few months into it), I came across the arguments for a geocentric universe (rejecting the heliocentric model), and became convinced of that view -- although I still held on to the spherical earth view. I recall that at that time I also came across arguments for the flat earth. But I was not convinced of the truth of the flat earth view, and I think that was mainly because for whatever reason I did not initially stumble across some of the best arguments/information advocating the flat earth view, and I did not do much more research into it. Also, at that time, there weren't many people making the flat earth argument (on social media, YouTube, etc).

Fast forward several years later, to around 2016 or 2017. This was the time when the flat earth movement began exploding on YouTube. What made me start to question and consider the flat earth view was I started to see flat earth videos in my "Recommended" videos on YouTube. When I first saw these videos, I watched a few, but was not initially convinced. But I kept seeing those videos in my Recommended and would watch a few from time to time. It probably took at least 3-6 months (can't remember exactly)...but I eventually started becoming convinced. And it was not like the snap of a finger. It was more of a gradual or slow process. Because, in my mind, I would still have many questions that were keeping me from being FULLY convinced -- such as "well how does the sun set on a flat earth model"?

I would say it took about a year after first seriously investigating it (via the YouTube videos) that I became fully convinced. And the critical factor was the quality of the arguments on these documentaries and other videos on YouTube.
Steve Videtich
This actually helps me see things better. Thanks GoPack for asking and thank you GP for answering!
GuerrillaPack
Steve Videtich said:

Okay, I'll apologize for the PRESENTATION in that particular comment. That was meant as a generalization, so I apologize. No anger at all, just pointing out an observation. But, I'll admit my faults...
Not a big deal. Apology accepted. And it takes integrity to admit when you are wrong...even when it's the smallest thing. The only reason I pulled that comment from you back up was because you were questioning my "presentation"...and that really did get me thinking. Because I am concerned with presenting myself in the best way possible...and especially in terms of being genuine and trying to have a respectful discussion. And many times when communicating via writing, it's easy to convey a "tone" that you weren't intending. Maybe I can come across sometimes as "harsh", when I'm not intending to.
waynecountywolf
Bttt,just for pacfanweb
ciscopack
Too bad they closed Dix Hill
WolfStock
Kinda surprised at the amount of people that even engage with GP. Is it really worth your time? Obviously he's not going to be convinced by any logical argument, rock-solid as it is.

(assuming he's not just an outright troll just having fun, in which case it's also pointless to engage as one would be arguing with someone who's not even real)
GuerrillaPack
WolfStock said:

Kinda surprised at the amount of people that even engage with GP. Is it really worth your time? Obviously he's not going to be convinced by any logical argument, rock-solid as it is.

(assuming he's not just an outright troll just having fun, in which case it's also pointless to engage as one would be arguing with someone who's not even real)

Anyone who's familiar with my posting history here knows that I genuinely believe what I'm saying.

And there's a lot of reasons to engage in a discussion or debate, no matter the likelihood of changing any one person's mind. There's not just one person you are talking to, there's dozens/hundreds.
ciscopack
If you go off the NC coast and look back at 16 story buildings....you lose them at 9 miles+/- because of curvature.....in a helicopter you can see them just fine.

Link has vanished... Here is a well known one, where network television reported on the fact that the entire Chicago skyline is visible from almost 60 miles away over lake Michigan.

275.27 mile sight...longest on earth
Pacfanweb
ciscopack said:

If you go off the NC coast and look back at 16 story buildings....you lose them at 9 miles+/- because of curvature.....in a helicopter you can see them just fine.

Link has vanished... Here is a well known one, where network television reported on the fact that the entire Chicago skyline is visible from almost 60 miles away over lake Michigan.

275.27 mile sight...longest on earth

That's a common piece of false evidence they use...."it's refraction or a mirage" is why you can't see all of the ship that disappears over the horizon.

Basically they say the ship disappears because your eye simply isn't strong enough to see that far and if you get a better telephoto lens you can still see it.

That pic of Chicago, sometimes the mirage is there and you can see most of the city. Other times it's not, but you can still see the tallest buildings. But no matter how strong a lens you have, you can't see down a street level, ever. Because it's blocked by the curvature.

Same experiment applies to seeing ships from the ocean shore. They disappear. You get a stronger lens, but you can only see part of the ship.
Flatties say it's "refraction" or a "mirage" that keeps you from seeing the whole ship. Not true.

There's no refraction or mirage at night, but the ship experiment can be done exactly the same way. It disappears, you get a stronger lens, you can only see part of it, higher and higher until the mast disappears. Then you climb up higher and you can see the whole thing again.
No refraction or mirage is in play then, only the curvature of the Earth.

You're not limited by your eyesight or how powerful your lens is....otherwise, you couldn't see the moon, sun, stars or even the ISS when it flies over.
waynecountywolf
WolfStock said:

GP/ Northwolf / Northwolf28 is real, not a troll IMHO
dogplasma
Ran across this article overnight and immediately thought, hey, the earth may not be flat but there's still hope for the universe!

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/what-shape-is-the-universe

"As far as cosmologists can tell, space is almost perfectly flat."

"There's also a Goldilocks scenario for the universe, which scientists say is the most plausible. Most cosmological evidence points to the universe's density as being just right the equivalent of around six protons per 1.3 cubic yards and that it expands in every direction without curving positively or negatively. In other words, the universe is flat. (Perhaps this will come as some consolation to anyone disappointed by our planet's roundness.)"

acslater1344
Don't do that again.
GuerrillaPack
dogplasma said:

Ran across this article overnight and immediately thought, hey, the earth may not be flat but there's still hope for the universe!

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/what-shape-is-the-universe

"As far as cosmologists can tell, space is almost perfectly flat."

"There's also a Goldilocks scenario for the universe, which scientists say is the most plausible. Most cosmological evidence points to the universe's density as being just right the equivalent of around six protons per 1.3 cubic yards and that it expands in every direction without curving positively or negatively. In other words, the universe is flat. (Perhaps this will come as some consolation to anyone disappointed by our planet's roundness.)"

This is yet another example demonstrating how the pseudo-scientific Establishment is constantly changing their position on things. Why? Because they don't actually know very much at all about the universe and physics with certainty, and what they actually do is just keep proposing a bunch of theories.

The Big Bang and evolution are obviously theories (and completely preposterous at that)...and yet the scientific Establishment (and media and Hollywood) talk about them as if they are "undeniable established facts". And those two ideas are the virtual "pillars" of modern "science". If those two giant lies are the foundations of their worldview, then how "scientifically" accurate and true can their worldview, in general, really be?

It's actually the same thing with the heliocentric model and the globular earth. These are actually just theories.
GuerrillaPack
GP, I edited your post not because you said anything wrong but because you quoted the already edited post directed at you.
MayorStoner
the earth is shaped like a football obviously.
GuerrillaPack
MayorStoner said:

the earth is shaped like a football obviously.

Neil Degrasse Tyson, the current pope of "science", says the earth is shaped like a pear:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.